Adrian Wojnarowski
Senior NBA Insider
Facebook
Twitter
Facebook Messenger
Pinterest
Email
print
The NBA's board of governors has a 12:30 p.m. ET call on Thursday with the intention of approving the league's plan for a 22-team return in Orlando, sources told ESPN on Wednesday.

Each of the 22 teams will play eight regular-season games in Orlando for seeding purposes for the playoffs, sources told ESPN.

Joining the 16 current playoff teams in Orlando will be the New Orleans Pelicans, Portland Trail Blazers, Phoenix Suns, Sacramento Kings and San Antonio Spurs in the West and the Washington Wizards in the East, sources told ESPN.

EDITOR'S PICKS

Sources: Top NBA seeds mull playoff advantages

Sources: Proposed NBA Finals end date Oct. 12
If the No. 9 seed is more than four games behind, the No. 8 seed will make the playoffs. If the No. 9 seed is less than four games back, there will be a play-in tournament, sources told ESPN.

The return would begin July 31 under the proposal, and a last possible date for a Finals Game 7 would be Oct. 12, sources told ESPN on Tuesday.

The expectation is that the NBA draft and the opening of free agency would follow in sequential order in October, sources said.

The NBA's Board of Governors requires a three-fourths passage of the 30 teams on a plan, but there is an expectation among owners that they will fall into line and overwhelmingly approve the commissioner's recommendation, sources said.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29260860/sources-nba-approve-plan-22-team-return-eight-regular-season-games

AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
6/3/2020  12:28 PM
That means no Knicks games until Christmas- it will have been almost 9 months! I'm glad though- don't want players or fans risking getting this virus until we know a lot more about it.

It's a looooooooooong time until the draft (maybe 5 months)

Teams that play in the finals won't get much of a break between seasons (if the finish 12th March, and start the next season at Christmas, they'll only have had 2 and a bit months off- that's crazy)

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
6/3/2020  12:45 PM
That sucks really bad, it would have been nice to get these kids to experience playing in some meaningful games, Also a better chance to see how miller can do when the pressures up.

We are not in even in a really good draft spot (6th) in a weak draft class with no more college games to scout.

I don't think the NBA would risk bringing players and staff back if they didn't have a plan in place to keep everyone safe.

ES
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
6/3/2020  12:47 PM
it just seems like a lot of time to play not that many games.

Sad that this country is better prepared - wealthiest in some ways - but the poorest in others.

Bundesliga starting up and going great! All their teams and I think playing all of their schedule out.

Wonder if they will have an deal on League pass for the last month.

smackeddog
6/3/2020  1:22 PM
If it weren't for the risk, I would have liked there to have been a tournament for the remaining 8 teams to battle it out for the number 1 draft pick- that would have been cool to watch and would have meant our players could actually play some games rather than have such a long layoff.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/6/2020  9:05 AM
Wasserman on his pod speculates that the nba included the extra 6 teams out of the playoffs so that Zion could play.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/6/2020  1:27 PM
CrushAlot wrote:Wasserman on his pod speculates that the nba included the extra 6 teams out of the playoffs so that Zion could play.

More teams means more games means more revenue. Time and space apply. Simple as that

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/6/2020  6:31 PM
martin wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:Wasserman on his pod speculates that the nba included the extra 6 teams out of the playoffs so that Zion could play.

More teams means more games means more revenue. Time and space apply. Simple as that

I hadn’t given it much thought and have not been following things as closely as I usually would. I googled it after I saw your response and this came up.
There is little precedent for a player who has played so few games at the NBA level generating so much intrigue. Which brings us to tidbits two NBA insiders dropped this week.

"Just about everybody in the league is wondering how many teams will be going to Orlando if/when the NBA season resumes,” NBC Sports’ Tom Haberstroh wrote Tuesday. “16? 20? 24? 30? In my conversations with several team execs, one detail keeps coming up: Zion Williamson is on a No. 10 seed.”

Two days later, ESPN's Brian Windhorst echoed that statement.

"I have already heard people in this league say this is an elaborate game to get Zion Williamson into this bubble,” Windhorst said Thursday on the Hoop Collectiv

https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans/article_ce4fc9dc-a12b-11ea-9a09-67c1f4345eca.amp.html
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Swishfm3
Member: #392
6/6/2020  11:38 PM

Of course...and I get it but its also messed up. Just make it a 30 team playoff tournament and have fun it.

smackeddog
6/11/2020  3:57 AM
Chubby Doncic is or only hope for a high Dallas pick in 2021

Luka Doncic's trainer said that Doncic is currently not in "the best shape," but will be ready to play if and when the season starts in late July.

“Most players struggled to stay in shape. Doncic is no exception. ... he is not in the best shape, which is normal. NBA games will not be played before the end of July, so there is enough time to help him recover and get ready. However, he undoubtedly would be ready to play right now," said Jure Drasklar.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/258411/Luka-Doncics-Trainer-Doncic-Is-Not-In-The-Best-Shape-But-Will-Be-Ready-By-End-Of-July

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/11/2020  8:35 AM
Kid is a player. Not athletic and yet defies with skill........kid is young, his build type by the time he is 25 might not an NBA body. He has the body of a 30 year old. A bit like Jokic, not a lean muscle type. Jokic as a big can get away with it to some degree. Doncic might be a 3 or a 4. He is 6-8. Big kid.
Prediction: Knicks ownership of their pick next season might prove to be a very nice asset for us.
Short season and if Mav’s eastern euro duo not healthy it could a good one. Mid first round for 21????? Hate to wish ill on Mav’s. But.........
smackeddog
6/12/2020  3:21 PM

I don’t get why the players association voted for this before the details were even threaded out and while opposition among players was so high.

Personally, I think the whole idea is bad and don’t think they should do it. Skipping straight to the playoffs was risky enough, but stretching it to 22 teams and lengthening it to 3 months is crazy- who can stay hauled up in a hotel room for 3 months?!

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

6/12/2020  3:30 PM
smackeddog wrote:

I don’t get why the players association voted for this before the details were even threaded out and while opposition among players was so high.

Personally, I think the whole idea is bad and don’t think they should do it. Skipping straight to the playoffs was risky enough, but stretching it to 22 teams and lengthening it to 3 months is crazy- who can stay hauled up in a hotel room for 3 months?!

You know why.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
smackeddog
6/12/2020  3:37 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

You know why.

True! But a lot of players are realizing they’re being railroaded into something that at best will be very difficult mentally, and at worse a real danger to their and their families health. Glad they’re starting to speak up.

smackeddog
6/13/2020  5:02 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/13/2020  5:14 AM
Yikes, here's the money side of things- looks like the NBA & owners are strong arming the players into this, makes it even more dubious (especially if the team owners are sat safe and sound in the safety of their own homes):
Nalod
USA
6/13/2020  4:51 PM
Kyrie Vice President player rep? So illogical!
smackeddog
6/14/2020  4:01 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/14/2020  5:17 PM
I do think Woj is a disgrace with his agenda writing. He extorts information from teams under threat of giving them bad write-ups if they don't give him it, and now he's trying to portray Kyrie as evil for simply raising legit concerns about the nba's dodgy Orlando plan:

I'm no fan of Kyrie, but the players are absolutely right to question this. By sheer coincidence Woj works for ESPN who have a vested financial interest in hoodwinking the players into playing. Now it comes out that the Disney staff won't be in the non-existent bubble, and instead will be free to come and go in a state that's seeing infection rates skyrocket.

Nalod
USA
6/14/2020  2:41 PM
C’mon, we really think Kyrie is the first one to question the plan?
Some players want more freedom. League president first equated the “Bubble” weeks ago akin to incarceration.
Some players want to use this as a platform for racial equality. Some want the money. Some want both.
Selfishly I want basketball. I won’t tell another man how to protest or risk his health for pay.
smackeddog
6/17/2020  2:42 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/17/2020  2:44 PM
Sounds promising

So that’s half the airport staff who have all been interacting with all arrivals, who then spread out through the state

Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/17/2020  3:49 PM
Nalod wrote:C’mon, we really think Kyrie is the first one to question the plan?
Some players want more freedom. League president first equated the “Bubble” weeks ago akin to incarceration.
Some players want to use this as a platform for racial equality. Some want the money. Some want both.
Selfishly I want basketball. I won’t tell another man how to protest or risk his health for pay.

I am actually with you. However, this is the guy who, a week ago, said he was concerned about covid-19. Then he says he’s concerned about BLM distractions. I can and will argue but I won’t find fault in people who agree with that. I 100% understand. With that said, I was also suspicious that he was full of sheot.

Then we learned that just a week and a half, 2 weeks ago, he wasn’t even questioning these things. He was questioning what free stuff the players can get and if he can go in the bubble to cheer his team on while he’s injured. Denied.

Now he wants to start his own league?

Enough of Kyrie please. I know SAS and Peter Rosenberg go out of their ways to say he’s a good guy, before they criticize him.... but enough has to be enough with him at some point.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
NBA to approve 22 teams plan return doesn't include knicks per woj espn

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy