[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Sources: Knicks to begin coaching search with Tom Thibodeau the top candidate per shams and realgm
Author Thread
houston20
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #8797

5/27/2020  6:49 PM
Knicks To Formally Begin Search For New Head Coach

The New York Knicks will soon begin their search for a new head coach with a decision targeted in the next few weeks.

Tom Thibodeau is atop the list of targets for the Knicks.

The Knicks, however, are expected to interview Mike Miller for the job. Miller has left a strong impression throughout the franchise as interim head coach.

If the Knicks resume play as part of the NBA's resumption of the 19-20 season, Miller would coach out the remainder of the season. Miller could also be offered an opportunity to return to the Knicks in some coaching capacity next season.

Kenny Atkinson likely will also receive an interview.
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/258269/Knicks-To-Formally-Begin-Search-For-New-Head-Coach

AUTOADVERT
BillTheButcher
Member: #6326

5/27/2020  8:52 PM
As a Knicks fan who grew up on the 90s Knicks, I might just lose faith and that is saying something since we have not really won since then if we go with Thibs. The guy had his moments but the game as it is played today has passed him by, I am sick of hiring all these damn retreads.Go with Atkinson for god sake or just keep Miller.
[IMG]http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q636/shemmue0311/member15202.png[/IMG]
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

5/27/2020  8:58 PM
"Top candidate" really? From all that winning with Layden in Minny? Layden coming here too? Another retread who cant communicate with today's stars. Too busy running them into the ground. Hope Rose puts more thought into the stars he targets, if Thibodeau is his top choice.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
5/27/2020  10:12 PM
GustavBahler wrote:"Top candidate" really? From all that winning with Layden in Minny? Layden coming here too? Another retread who cant communicate with today's stars. Too busy running them into the ground. Hope Rose puts more thought into the stars he targets, if Thibodeau is his top choice.

I hope he does a thorough search and hires the best qualified candidate. Thibs has been linked to the Knicks because of his relationship with Rose. Hoping cronyism is done at the garden. Miller on a short term deal might be the best approach for this coming season. Not sure how Thibs fits with a young rebuilding team. He plays a shorter rotation then D'Antoni.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
houston20

5/27/2020  10:31 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:"Top candidate" really? From all that winning with Layden in Minny? Layden coming here too? Another retread who cant communicate with today's stars. Too busy running them into the ground. Hope Rose puts more thought into the stars he targets, if Thibodeau is his top choice.

I hope he does a thorough search and hires the best qualified candidate. Thibs has been linked to the Knicks because of his relationship with Rose. Hoping cronyism is done at the garden. Miller on a short term deal might be the best approach for this coming season. Not sure how Thibs fits with a young rebuilding team. He plays a shorter rotation then D'Antoni.

The reason why thibs is the top candidate for the job because the knicks want to build winning culture the tanking culture has to stop. All frank, knox, mitch robinson , trier, and dotson know is losing and tanking it has to stop.
wargames
Member: #6053

5/27/2020  10:40 PM
houston20 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

The reason why thibs is the top candidate for the job because the knicks want to build winning culture the tanking culture has to stop. All frank, knox, mitch robinson , trier, and dotson know is losing and tanking it has to stop.

If that is the case they should hire Kenny. He was the coach that turned the Nyets around using a combination of youth and “re-draft” players. Thibs was struggling in Minnesota until he used his front office power to make bad trades for his old stars to drag them into the playoffs.

Kenny as HC and Miller as Defensive assistant makes the most sense once you look at the situation from the modern NBA perspective. Kenny’s offense and Miller’s defense might get us in the playoffs in two years.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

5/27/2020  10:45 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/27/2020  10:47 PM
Not a big fan of hiring Thibs...but after being fired twice, it'd be foolish to think he hasn't learned anything since his hiatus...

https://www.talkbasket.net/89775-tom-thibodeau-reveals-what-he-learned-during-coaching-hiatus

Tom Thibodeau talked on his experience away from coaching and what he learned during his career hiatus observing different teams over the past NBA season.

The one thing that stuck on him was how the teams managed training during the load management era. That’s what he said on ESPN’s The Woj Pod with Adrian Wojnarowski:

“It’s interesting because the way everyone’s managing with load management and where your team is, sports scientists, it’s different,” Thibodeau said on the podcast. “If your team is young and you’re in a rebuild, you’re probably practicing more than an older veteran team. In some cases where the team is mixed, there’s almost two practices going on in one, where your young guys are getting the work that they need, and the older vets might be in the weight room getting strength and conditioning and then they flip it and then the vets will get their work… and then they come together for a short period of time to do something together at the end and maybe they’ll watch film together at the end,” the veteran coach said, per NY Post.

The former Bulls and Wolves coach claimed Los Angeles Clippers head coach Doc Rivers has had the best management skills.

“(Rivers) is the best at managing the day before, in between, they had that day off, but everyone came in. And their young guys really work, and the older guys were getting treatment and recovery,” Thibodeau said. “So I think understanding who your team is and what everyone needs. And also there’s probably more to it because you’ve got to be careful not to divide your team also,” Thibodeau said.

Thibodeau is on the list of candidates for some prestigious coaching vacancies the last two months, with the New York Knicks and the Houston Rockets reportedly being interested in hiring the veteran coach.

houston20

5/27/2020  11:22 PM
wargames wrote:
houston20 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

If that is the case they should hire Kenny. He was the coach that turned the Nyets around using a combination of youth and “re-draft” players. Thibs was struggling in Minnesota until he used his front office power to make bad trades for his old stars to drag them into the playoffs.

Kenny as HC and Miller as Defensive assistant makes the most sense once you look at the situation from the modern NBA perspective. Kenny’s offense and Miller’s defense might get us in the playoffs in two years.

Lets be real here the wolves player are soft wiggins and towns then thibs had to trade jimmy butler to toughen them up . When jimmy butler came to the wolves with thibs they went to the playoffs in 2018 the wolves hadn't been to playoffs since 2004 they had 14 year drought at that time. I would be happy if the knicks can just be a playoff team its better then being losing or tanking team almost every year . Kenny might be a good selection to coach the knicks it's all about young talent that takes time develop with more losing and dolan doesn't have patient to deal with more losing .

wargames
Member: #6053

5/27/2020  11:34 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/27/2020  11:35 PM
houston20 wrote:
wargames wrote:
houston20 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Lets be real here the wolves player are soft wiggins and towns then thibs had to trade jimmy butler to toughen them up . When jimmy butler came to the wolves with thibs they went to the playoffs in 2018 the wolves hadn't been to playoffs since 2004 they had 14 year drought at that time. I would be happy if the knicks can just be a playoff team its better then being losing or tanking team almost every year . Kenny might be a good selection to coach the knicks it's all about young talent that takes time develop with more losing and dolan doesn't have patient to deal with more losing .

Yeah but that success wasn’t lasting and he knowingly made a short term decision to get into the playoff. Kenny took a bunch of ok kids, and redraft players to the playoffs and it was enough to attract two star players to the team...... isn’t that Exactly what we want? Also even if we don’t sacrifice the youth for big names, he had developed the Nets kids well enough they were playing in the playoffs.

Also D’lo is of the same exact nature and style as Wiggins and KAT to the point the wolves traded for him. Kenny took a soft, spoil kid who no one wanted and got him into the playoffs. He’s custom made for the Knicks Job and we could keep Miller as associate coach and let him focus on defense. Whereas with Thibs we wouldn’t need Miller.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
Clean
Member: #743
5/27/2020  11:46 PM
No matter who comes or goes I can always count on the Knicks to do exactly what I don't want them to do.
CrushAlot
USA
5/28/2020  12:45 AM
A good read. https://deadspin.com/tom-thibodeau-is-destruction-1821265024
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
5/28/2020  2:15 AM
Tibs was awful in minnesota. He’s a master retread. I will be in shock if they hire him— as same ole same ole. Another older coach grabbing 20 mm from Dufus Er I mean Dolan.
RIP Crushalot😞
smackeddog
Member: #883
5/28/2020  2:56 AM
Uptown wrote:Not a big fan of hiring Thibs...but after being fired twice, it'd be foolish to think he hasn't learned anything since his hiatus...

https://www.talkbasket.net/89775-tom-thibodeau-reveals-what-he-learned-during-coaching-hiatus

Tom Thibodeau talked on his experience away from coaching and what he learned during his career hiatus observing different teams over the past NBA season.

The one thing that stuck on him was how the teams managed training during the load management era. That’s what he said on ESPN’s The Woj Pod with Adrian Wojnarowski:

“It’s interesting because the way everyone’s managing with load management and where your team is, sports scientists, it’s different,” Thibodeau said on the podcast. “If your team is young and you’re in a rebuild, you’re probably practicing more than an older veteran team. In some cases where the team is mixed, there’s almost two practices going on in one, where your young guys are getting the work that they need, and the older vets might be in the weight room getting strength and conditioning and then they flip it and then the vets will get their work… and then they come together for a short period of time to do something together at the end and maybe they’ll watch film together at the end,” the veteran coach said, per NY Post.

The former Bulls and Wolves coach claimed Los Angeles Clippers head coach Doc Rivers has had the best management skills.

“(Rivers) is the best at managing the day before, in between, they had that day off, but everyone came in. And their young guys really work, and the older guys were getting treatment and recovery,” Thibodeau said. “So I think understanding who your team is and what everyone needs. And also there’s probably more to it because you’ve got to be careful not to divide your team also,” Thibodeau said.

Thibodeau is on the list of candidates for some prestigious coaching vacancies the last two months, with the New York Knicks and the Houston Rockets reportedly being interested in hiring the veteran coach.

Yeah, I think the Thibs criticism has gotten unfair- lots of other coaches have changed and adapted over the years (Carlsisle, Pops, etc), yet for some reason Thibs isn't allowed based on zero evidence. How can you prove whether someone can or can't do something unless you give them the chance?

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
5/28/2020  7:57 AM
I would be happy with Atkinson or Miller
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
5/28/2020  8:26 AM
houston20 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

You both have good points, but you should also know that those young guys are not a lock to stay here, and shouldn't be, because all they know is losing.

Last time we interviewed 11 coaches and still picked the wrong one, Phil Interviewed 2, and picked the wrong one. I just want some one with tons of experience and success. Thibs run with one of the most dysfunctional franchises in the NBA, should not be looked at like that was his fault entirely.

ES
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
5/28/2020  8:33 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/28/2020  8:34 AM
I am happy with Miller or Atkinson. Miller came in and improved the team's performance. I think he deserves a chance to continue in the job. I also would not be opposed to bringing in Atkinson. He developed young players who were about on the same level as our young players, and he turned them into a playoff team. We definitely need someone who is good at getting young players to improve their game. I don't want Thibs. Not that he is not a good coach, but it just seems like a retread hire. Leon Rose's best option would be to keep Miller. He was doing a competent job, and if the team sucks next year, it gives Rose an easy target to fire. If you bring in Atkinsons, and the team sucks, it is going to be harder to fire him without blow back.
Trust the Process
CrushAlot
USA
5/28/2020  9:22 AM
TheGame wrote:I am happy with Miller or Atkinson. Miller came in and improved the team's performance. I think he deserves a chance to continue in the job. I also would not be opposed to bringing in Atkinson. He developed young players who were about on the same level as our young players, and he turned them into a playoff team. We definitely need someone who is good at getting young players to improve their game. I don't want Thibs. Not that he is not a good coach, but it just seems like a retread hire. Leon Rose's best option would be to keep Miller. He was doing a competent job, and if the team sucks next year, it gives Rose an easy target to fire. If you bring in Atkinsons, and the team sucks, it is going to be harder to fire him without blow back.
I agree with this. I also think because of Rose's relationship with Thibs it would be much harder to fire Thibs then either Miller or Atkinson. I hope Miller gets a chance to keep the job next year. This isn't a one year fix and continuity at the coaching position would be a welcome change.
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

5/28/2020  10:23 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/28/2020  10:29 AM
Atkinson would be a good choice for developmental purposes, but did any of y'all watch any nyet games? I'll admit, I only watched when they played the Knicks and a hand full of games when Kyrie was healthy but Atkinson's offense was uninspiring! They pretty much ran a 5-out set and jacked-up a ton of quick 3's. They did run some PNR and drive and kicks but there wasn't much innovation at all. My views are limited, though.

He's also a MDA disciple and one of the biggest complaints I had with MDA was his lack of in game adjustments, and pre-game adjustments...I have heard some nyet fans complain about this but I cant confirm myself do to no watching them enough...I say all that to say, Atkinson is not without his own warts...

Chandler
Member: #6197

5/28/2020  10:39 AM
if the Knicks wanted my advice I would be thinking about a developmental coach (no that doesn't mean playing youngsters just for the sake of playing them). I just don't see Thibs in such a role. ANd i love Miller but not sure whether that's his thing. We need to build a base of talent through wise drafting and better development

One interesting thing, to me at least, is if you look at NBA champions over the past 10 years plus the head coaches enjoyed huge success as rookie coaches. Of course, they had stacked teams, but they didn't flub up their situations.

Up here in Boston, the announcers used to be fond of saying that a good coach can (1) win games or (2) develop talent. A great coach can do both. Oddly, they used to consider Bill Fitch good for development, and KC Jones good for winning titles!

Obviously we would all prefer a great coach. I don't think we're going to find one that's available with NBA HC experience (our last best chance was Budenholzer). Maybe there's one from college ranks -- but seems those are risky boom or bust.

So based on the above I would urge a developmental coach and continuing to build the base of talent.

(5)(5)
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
5/28/2020  11:14 AM
Uptown wrote:Atkinson would be a good choice for developmental purposes, but did any of y'all watch any nyet games? I'll admit, I only watched when they played the Knicks and a hand full of games when Kyrie was healthy but Atkinson's offense was uninspiring! They pretty much ran a 5-out set and jacked-up a ton of quick 3's. They did run some PNR and drive and kicks but there wasn't much innovation at all. My views are limited, though.

He's also a MDA disciple and one of the biggest complaints I had with MDA was his lack of in game adjustments, and pre-game adjustments...I have heard some nyet fans complain about this but I cant confirm myself do to no watching them enough...I say all that to say, Atkinson is not without his own warts...

I watched the nets, and they had no other plan other than to shoot 3's PnR and run, who on this roster can shoot 3's at a decent clip, shhht.... we're dead last in FT.

We would have to revamp this entire roster to fit Atkinson's system.

ES
Sources: Knicks to begin coaching search with Tom Thibodeau the top candidate per shams and realgm

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy