[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Cutting the cord and working from home.....
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/20/2020  8:59 AM

Im fortunate I can work anywhere. Its mostly a blessing. I have 1gb fiber optic cable/internet right into the house and have speed tested it to 800 plus. I run 4 TV's in the house. There are 4 of us working out of the house now as of next week. I have 3 ethernet cables to plug into. The Wifi in my study actually works on one part of my desk, but then dies 2 feet away. Not an issue as im wired up but my iphone cell service in the room is ok for calls, but cell data not great and it toggles back and forth from my wifi. Next week daughter and her husband come to stay for a while adn they will be stressing the capicty a bit. She does video editing and uploads to the TV station remote, he runs networks for major luxury brand retail (Tenuous).
We also cut the cord and saving $50 a month using Youtube TV which I lose nothing station wise and get NBA TV as part of the basic package! Picture quality is quite good. Getting all the cable boxes out of the house felt good too!!

I bought my home 12 years old from an engineer who designed this house in the mid 1960's. Got all the blueprints, specs, etc. House is build like a civil defense shelter with some very thick walls and ceilings. Bones of this crib is solid! Im being a bit dramatic but its relevent as wifi can be a challange. I have a mesh wifi coming this week to rectify it and increase capacity. Running with a great Apple airport router that has served us very well.

Anyone else upgrading and improving/their home work environment? Painting? renovations?

AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/20/2020  10:55 AM
You can get wifi booster/relays - i'm not sure of the actual term - that will enhance some of your dead spots in home. I've never used but have heard of this.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Knickfury11
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #8856
United Kingdom
5/20/2020  11:46 AM
martin wrote:You can get wifi booster/relays - i'm not sure of the actual term - that will enhance some of your dead spots in home. I've never used but have heard of this.

WiFi amplifiers - plug into socket near your router and watch the magic work. I’ve got two and everything works really well ( don’t want to jinx anything ). I’m in financial services I can work from home to an extent but much prefer to be in the office. My work relies on the performance of these amplifiers. Systems remote access, conference calls etc.

martin
USA
5/20/2020  11:49 AM
Knickfury11 wrote:
martin wrote:You can get wifi booster/relays - i'm not sure of the actual term - that will enhance some of your dead spots in home. I've never used but have heard of this.

WiFi amplifiers - plug into socket near your router and watch the magic work. I’ve got two and everything works really well ( don’t want to jinx anything ). I’m in financial services I can work from home to an extent but much prefer to be in the office. My work relies on the performance of these amplifiers. Systems remote access, conference calls etc.

Nice, thanks!

Nalod
USA
5/20/2020  11:51 AM
Mesh is the next evlolution to the boster relay.
martin
USA
5/20/2020  11:57 AM
Also, some other things to note with wifi routers if you are technically savvy. Newer wifi routers will support both 2.4G and 5G bands. Quick summary: The 2.4 GHz band provides coverage at a longer range but transmits data at slower speeds. The 5 GHz band provides less coverage but transmits data at faster speeds. ... However, higher frequencies allow data to be transmitted faster than lower frequencies, so the 5 GHz band allows you to upload and download files faster.

Also, and this is where I am not 100% certain, but I believe with some wifi routers you can set the channel on which it will broadcast (this is outside of 2.4G v 5G bands). Let's just say your 2.4G band has 11 channels it can broadcast over and you should be able to pick which channel your router is transmitting. If all of your neighbors are using the same channel, there may be some interference. Some router will literally tell you how many of your neighbors are using what channels. Pick an unused one.

martin
USA
5/20/2020  11:58 AM
Nalod wrote:Mesh is the next evlolution to the boster relay.

I've never even heard of this

martin
USA
5/20/2020  12:00 PM
martin wrote:

OK and now I've learned something. Thanks

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
5/20/2020  12:34 PM
martin wrote:
martin wrote:

OK and now I've learned something. Thanks

I don't have any problems with my WiFi right now. We have 4 Desktops/Laptops, 3 Roku, 4 Cell Phones connected and no problems reported. My son is connected via ethernet for his desktop when he plays online games. I switched to Fios last year and the installer told me that I should get the Orbi Mesh Network Router. He swore by it. They don't sell this by the way. I was cheap and decided to just use free router.

However, I researched Orbi a little bit and from reviews I read it does seem to be the best out there.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/netgear-orbi,review-4263.html

smackeddog
Member: #883
5/20/2020  12:42 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/20/2020  12:45 PM
Nalod wrote:
Im fortunate I can work anywhere. Its mostly a blessing. I have 1gb fiber optic cable/internet right into the house and have speed tested it to 800 plus. I run 4 TV's in the house. There are 4 of us working out of the house now as of next week. I have 3 ethernet cables to plug into. The Wifi in my study actually works on one part of my desk, but then dies 2 feet away. Not an issue as im wired up but my iphone cell service in the room is ok for calls, but cell data not great and it toggles back and forth from my wifi. Next week daughter and her husband come to stay for a while adn they will be stressing the capicty a bit. She does video editing and uploads to the TV station remote, he runs networks for major luxury brand retail (Tenuous).
We also cut the cord and saving $50 a month using Youtube TV which I lose nothing station wise and get NBA TV as part of the basic package! Picture quality is quite good. Getting all the cable boxes out of the house felt good too!!

I bought my home 12 years old from an engineer who designed this house in the mid 1960's. Got all the blueprints, specs, etc. House is build like a civil defense shelter with some very thick walls and ceilings. Bones of this crib is solid! Im being a bit dramatic but its relevent as wifi can be a challange. I have a mesh wifi coming this week to rectify it and increase capacity. Running with a great Apple airport router that has served us very well.

Anyone else upgrading and improving/their home work environment? Painting? renovations?

You'll be on MTV Cribs soon! No need to upgrade my Wi-Fi or anything, but I have re-trained and bought a new computer and stuff so I can work from home for the foreseeable future. I work as a counselor/psychotherapist, so do online webcam sessions and telephone now. I preferred face to face work, but it okay. I don't so much worry about me catching the virus, but I was getting very anxious before the lockdown, worrying about getting it, being a-symptomatic, and passing it onto my clients (some of whom are very vulnerable or have terminal conditions), so I'm not returning to face to face work until this things sorted (probably a long time away).

I don't actually mind working from home. I worry about the wi-fi signal crapping out mid-session, but I go through backup plans with clients. Don't miss the commuting at all! Also the money saved on transport and therapy room rental, means I can lower my prices so that helps out people who's incomes have been effected but virus. Miss my work with children and families though- can't really do that via webcam or telephone, as a lot of it involved creative stuff, paints, sand trays etc.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
5/20/2020  1:01 PM
I'm installing a battery operated, outdoor pop-a-shot on my backyard court.
Nalod
USA
5/20/2020  3:10 PM
Orbi was high on my list. Good friend who owns a Vidieo production company recommended one. They have different levels and prices. I went with this:
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-mesh-networking-kits/#a-note-on-rated-speeds

This is Amazon's Mesh system and rates very well. I got the the one recommended but with just one beacon for $239.
Seems there is a good selections in the mesh area.

ekstarks94
Member: #6104

5/20/2020  6:37 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/21/2020  6:33 PM
I bought an Orbi when this first started..kids remote schooling and me and my Wife work from home and it works great. I use it in conjunction with a nighthawk x6s router...
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
5/21/2020  7:13 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/21/2020  7:16 AM
go mesh network, not wifi extender/repeater if you can avoid it.

the wifi extender may boost the signal but actually slow down speeds b/c there's a limit on the throughput with the device.

a wifi mesh like amazon eero or google nest not only boosted my signal, it upped my speed from my regular router. but the drawback is that it's a bit pricier. i purchased the amazon eero 2 pack for $169 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0854C6PCP/ref=twister_B0854CTL5N?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1). my video calls were hit/miss prior to the mesh network. now it's all hit - no more freezing/signal dropping.

for those that also require a simple printer, i purchased this compact laser printer (hp laserjet m15w) and it fits the bill. really small for those that don't have the space. https://www.amazon.com/HP-LaserJet-Wireless-Printer-W2G51A/dp/B079QRKWLX

if you need to scan a document, using your phone to take a picture and scan via google drive actually works pretty well. i'm limited in space and didn't want an all in one printer/scanner so i just bought a mini printer for when i need documents (which is very rare) and use my phone as a scanner. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om55cCvQO-Q)

i also had to purchase a legit office chair that's comfortable for 8 hours a day. i had a task chair but after 3-4 hours, it started getting uncomfortable. this is just as important as your network speeds imho. and if you don't want to mess up your hardwood floors and don't want a mat, you can use these wheels as the chair's base - https://www.amazon.com/wheels-replacement-casters-hardwood-duty/dp/B01G643EU6/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=office+chair+wheels&qid=1590059552&sr=8-5

finally, wearing a headset for work calls hurts my ears so i picked these up (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0816KKWPQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) - super lightweight and good clarity listening and speaking.

NYKBocker
USA
5/21/2020  11:53 AM
djsunyc wrote:finally, wearing a headset for work calls hurts my ears so i picked these up (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0816KKWPQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) - super lightweight and good clarity listening and speaking.

Do you know if this will work with Linux? I am using a corded earbud and upgrade to wireless would be great.

martin
USA
5/21/2020  12:00 PM
NYKBocker wrote:
djsunyc wrote:finally, wearing a headset for work calls hurts my ears so i picked these up (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0816KKWPQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) - super lightweight and good clarity listening and speaking.

Do you know if this will work with Linux? I am using a corded earbud and upgrade to wireless would be great.

man you are a super nerd

martin
USA
5/21/2020  12:06 PM
djsunyc wrote:go mesh network, not wifi extender/repeater if you can avoid it.

the wifi extender may boost the signal but actually slow down speeds b/c there's a limit on the throughput with the device.

a wifi mesh like amazon eero or google nest not only boosted my signal, it upped my speed from my regular router. but the drawback is that it's a bit pricier. i purchased the amazon eero 2 pack for $169 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0854C6PCP/ref=twister_B0854CTL5N?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1). my video calls were hit/miss prior to the mesh network. now it's all hit - no more freezing/signal dropping.

for those that also require a simple printer, i purchased this compact laser printer (hp laserjet m15w) and it fits the bill. really small for those that don't have the space. https://www.amazon.com/HP-LaserJet-Wireless-Printer-W2G51A/dp/B079QRKWLX

if you need to scan a document, using your phone to take a picture and scan via google drive actually works pretty well. i'm limited in space and didn't want an all in one printer/scanner so i just bought a mini printer for when i need documents (which is very rare) and use my phone as a scanner. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om55cCvQO-Q)

i also had to purchase a legit office chair that's comfortable for 8 hours a day. i had a task chair but after 3-4 hours, it started getting uncomfortable. this is just as important as your network speeds imho. and if you don't want to mess up your hardwood floors and don't want a mat, you can use these wheels as the chair's base - https://www.amazon.com/wheels-replacement-casters-hardwood-duty/dp/B01G643EU6/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=office+chair+wheels&qid=1590059552&sr=8-5

finally, wearing a headset for work calls hurts my ears so i picked these up (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0816KKWPQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) - super lightweight and good clarity listening and speaking.

My first job out of college was in an office that was furnished with Herman Miller Aeron office chairs and I purchased one soon after when I started to work from home. Completely worth the investment. Normally $1K+ I see them online for $500 or so. Long term, chair is one of the better investments you can make for yourself if you work from home. Stand up desk too if you go that route, save your body when you get into the 40+ range.

NYKBocker
USA
5/21/2020  12:09 PM
martin wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:

man you are a super nerd

Excuse you. "Super Commando Nerd" or I will consider this as a slight.

martin
USA
5/21/2020  12:23 PM
NYKBocker wrote:
martin wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:

man you are a super nerd

Excuse you. "Super Commando Nerd" or I will consider this as a slight.

Fair Commando Bro, fair

Nalod
USA
5/21/2020  5:27 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/21/2020  5:27 PM
Been using 2nd generation Airpods for sometime now for calls and zooms/webex. Im not a call leader and don't need the special headset. Laptop camera suffices and I do make sure I keep a reasonable distance from the camera and my lighting is good. I keep two pillows on near the microphone out of view so deaden the sound as not to sound like im in a void chamber. Im cognizant of my back ground and make sure it looks professional.
Cutting the cord and working from home.....

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy