Knicks sign Tracy Murray
Author Thread
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
10/5/2004  10:07 AM
the difference between DJ & Tracy:

DJ not that good right now, but at least brings athleticism, youth & upside potential, as well as a familiarity w/this team, coaches & fans alike.

Murray sucks, has sucked for the past several years, & is way past his prime if he ever had one to begin with...there's no way he'll ever improve on that, so what's the point? he's not even going to be a useful piece in any trade either.

i just don't see the rationale...i'm not knocking the points you bring up in your post DefAndReb...i thought it was well thought out & well explained...i just happen to disagree on the premise that having a washed up old veteran who will bring nothing to this team sitting on the bench is better than having a young, athletic player w/length & a pretty nice shooting touch to compete w/Ariza for minutes & who will fit into an uptempo, run & gun style game ALOT better.

just my opinion.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
AUTOADVERT
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
10/5/2004  10:15 AM
right this is not even similar to having rick fox! this is Tracy Murray people!

a veteran guy like fox, Pippen or Wesley Person would problably be useful but Tracy Murray!

Tracy Murray is not even listed on NBA.com of all sites!
http://www.nba.com/players/

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 10/05/2004 10:22:02]
gunsnewing
USA
10/5/2004  10:26 AM
last year he only played in 7 games fr Portland!

look! http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/statistics?statsId=846

and shot only 3-12!

the year before that he played 31 games and shot 21% from the 3pt line!
DefAndReb
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #336
10/5/2004  12:08 PM
You're still missing the point of grabbing this guy. End of the bench, guys. Not starters, not sixth man, not even 10th man. 11th-12th man and IR. Also, this is a scrum. IT isn't giving anybody a job here. It's a battle for scraps. DerMarr already failed his test when he bombed in the summer league. He isn't going to develop on the Knicks because he'll never get minutes. Murray won't get minutes even if he makes the team, but if he does, he'll already know what to do. No one's saying Murray is an impressive get. What's impressive is how many players WITH EXPERIENCE Zeke is throwing at each other. Layden used to put nine NBA guys and a bunch of ass-scrapings out there for preseason. IT may actually put together a team with depth! When was the last time this team had depth? 1996?
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
10/5/2004  12:17 PM
Don't doubt Isiah, maybe there is a reason why he didn't offer a job to Demarr. He didn't want to take a chance with Clark, and the next day we found out that even Cleveland tried to offer this cat a job, but they couldn't find him. Isiah is a very clever dude, he knows that the league has changed and there is a lack of shooters around. Bringing a guy like Murray can be vital with teams playing zone defense around the league.

Posted by VDesai:

Tracey Murray is godawful. He was a good shooter a long time ago but is worhtless these days. I agree with TMS, why not DeMarr instead of someone who's completely washed up and lost his NBA talent 5 years ago.
The true Knickabocker..........
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
10/5/2004  12:46 PM
i'm not missing your point...i just don't happen to agree w/it...12th man or not, i'd rather have a young guy w/athleticism & youth who can bring some energy off the bench than some washed up old has been, or never was, like Murray...just a difference in opinion, nothing more.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
gunsnewing
USA
10/5/2004  12:58 PM
Tracy Murray won't be having two 17pt games any time soon like Dermarr did last year
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
10/5/2004  2:22 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

Tracy Murray won't be having two 17pt games any time soon like Dermarr did last year
So we should get DerMarr because he might give us two 17 pt games?
DefAndReb
Member: #336
10/5/2004  4:33 PM
Posted by TMS:

i'm not missing your point...i just don't happen to agree w/it...12th man or not, i'd rather have a young guy w/athleticism & youth who can bring some energy off the bench than some washed up old has been, or never was, like Murray...just a difference in opinion, nothing more.

I didn't mean that you didn't get the point. I got what you said the first time. Like I said before, I'm not trumpeting Murray, I trumpeting Isiah trying to build a higher quality of bench by getting more experienced players in the scrap slots.

AFA D. Johnson is concerned, if both he and Murray got picked up at the same time, I'd definitely expect more from Johnson. The issue with Johnson is that he had his audition, and failed. Now it's someone else's turn to earn the spot. Repeat, DeMarr cannot play unless he "gets minutes". From the end of the bench, you want someone who needs "no minutes" and just plays decent for 3-5 on rare occasion. You need a role player, and Johnson is not.
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
10/5/2004  4:38 PM
Tracey Murray is a never was that has little to no shot of making this team as a roleplayer. Camp fodder is camp fodder, but its better to bring in young guys to see if they have any potential. Maybe at some point in the year you can bring one of those guys back on a 10 day contract. Anyway, no reason to dwell on this move anyway because its inconsequential int he long run.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/5/2004  4:57 PM
Def, good take, Desai, you also got it.

This guy is cooked, and will get paid to get looked at, and be a professional in camp to get players ready. Demarr needs to go overseas. Demarr can score, but he must do other things. Likely his NBA shot is done. It is not easy being in the league!

Tracy has been there, knows what it takes and had a nice career. HUNDREDS of guys never even got close to what he did. Demarr got his chance, a nice one also. It just did not work. Maybe his work ethic is not there, maybe his physical stature is not large enough, etc etc!

Maybe he did not get Isiahs dry cleaning in time!
Knicks sign Tracy Murray

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy