smackeddog wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:I also started watching Star Trek The Next Generation. Never saw it before. Planning on watching the whole series then the movies then Picard. I was never really a star trek fan but I started watching The Orville and Star Trek Discovery and really liked both. Enjoying it so far.
It gets way better after the first 2 seasons (I hate season 1 and season 2 is very corny!)

If you like it all, do give Deep Space Nine a try, it's my favorite, has aged the best, and has an ongoing story arc (takes a few seasons to get going), is a bit darker and better character development.

I'm on the middle of the 2nd season. Riker is weirding me out. The way he walks and stands. What the heck is that lean?
When you see the ep 'the icarus factor', you'll understand why Riker is so f'd up, lol
Just finished watching Icarus factor. Yup.
I am on Season 5 Episode 12. A lot of Data episodes which I like a lot. My favorite character is Data, Picard then Worf. I know everybody likes Troi but I think Dr. Crusher is one hot mama.

They hired some very good writers for this show. The amount of made up science jargon used is amazing.

I like Troi because I am also a counselor, so like that people with my profession get to sit up front next to the captain on the bridge of the ship in the future- not so sure about the kind of outfit I'd have to wear though!

The show definitely moved to focusing on Data and Picard after a few seasons (I liked Worf too). Really didn't like how they portrayed data in the movies, but he was great in the TV show.

Remember you have the new Picard show when you've finished TNG- it's great so far (I've only just started watching it).

I feel kind of sad watching TNG now- at the time it felt like the future we might be heading towards (in terms of attitudes), but nowadays it feels like we're heading in completely the opposite direction. In fact I doubt TNG would even have any success nowadays- it's amazing how well it did considering it's focus on sciences, a lot of eps were essentially morality plays, there wasn't much violence, and the focus was on dialogue, understanding and diplomatic solutions rather than killing.

The last ep of TNG was one of my favourite series ending too

A lot of really good episodes. I just finished watching "The Inner Light". Wow. This has to be the best TV episode I have ever seen. That damn flute got me at the end.
Terrible aging makeup, but really great episode- one of my favorites. If you found that moving, wait until you see "the Visitor" ep in Deep Space 9

I finished TNG. Loved it. I also finished watching the 4 movies. Data with that epic line against the borg was awesome.

Started DS9. Thank you for recommending this. Great episodes. I am on the 2nd season now. Great episodes.

Jadzia Dax is beautiful. 😋

AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
9/23/2020  3:26 PM
NYKBocker wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:I also started watching Star Trek The Next Generation. Never saw it before. Planning on watching the whole series then the movies then Picard. I was never really a star trek fan but I started watching The Orville and Star Trek Discovery and really liked both. Enjoying it so far.
It gets way better after the first 2 seasons (I hate season 1 and season 2 is very corny!)

If you like it all, do give Deep Space Nine a try, it's my favorite, has aged the best, and has an ongoing story arc (takes a few seasons to get going), is a bit darker and better character development.

I'm on the middle of the 2nd season. Riker is weirding me out. The way he walks and stands. What the heck is that lean?
When you see the ep 'the icarus factor', you'll understand why Riker is so f'd up, lol
I am on Season 5 Episode 12. A lot of Data episodes which I like a lot. My favorite character is Data, Picard then Worf. I know everybody likes Troi but I think Dr. Crusher is one hot mama.

They hired some very good writers for this show. The amount of made up science jargon used is amazing.

I like Troi because I am also a counselor, so like that people with my profession get to sit up front next to the captain on the bridge of the ship in the future- not so sure about the kind of outfit I'd have to wear though!

The show definitely moved to focusing on Data and Picard after a few seasons (I liked Worf too). Really didn't like how they portrayed data in the movies, but he was great in the TV show.

Remember you have the new Picard show when you've finished TNG- it's great so far (I've only just started watching it).

I feel kind of sad watching TNG now- at the time it felt like the future we might be heading towards (in terms of attitudes), but nowadays it feels like we're heading in completely the opposite direction. In fact I doubt TNG would even have any success nowadays- it's amazing how well it did considering it's focus on sciences, a lot of eps were essentially morality plays, there wasn't much violence, and the focus was on dialogue, understanding and diplomatic solutions rather than killing.

A lot of really good episodes. I just finished watching "The Inner Light". Wow. This has to be the best TV episode I have ever seen. That damn flute got me at the end.
Terrible aging makeup, but really great episode- one of my favorites. If you found that moving, wait until you see "the Visitor" ep in Deep Space 9

I finished TNG. Loved it. I also finished watching the 4 movies. Data with that epic line against the borg was awesome.

Started DS9. Thank you for recommending this. Great episodes. I am on the 2nd season now. Great episodes.

Ha, she is- I used to admire her beauty every episode when it first aired! People used to complain she wasn’t a great actor or didn’t have a handle on her character, but I honestly never noticed!

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
9/30/2020  4:10 PM
smackeddog wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Ha, she is- I used to admire her beauty every episode when it first aired! People used to complain she wasn’t a great actor or didn’t have a handle on her character, but I honestly never noticed!

I am on S3E10 now. Wow. I love the new bad guys with the Dominion. Gul Dukat is also a complicated dude.

I didn't notice anything wrong with Jadzia Dax either.

In regards with Commander Sisko... I was like..."I know this dude". Then it dawned on me.... It's Hawk! From "Spenser for Hire". He is a different commander/captain. He is my favorite character in DS9.

efw
Member: #1002

10/3/2020  6:47 PM
I used to be totally anti DS9. Was a total Next Generation loyalist. I finally got around to watching it 5 years ago and damn it's so good!
I like how they started to incorporate season long arcs, foreshadowing the developments in tv in the decades to come. Some of the episodes are just great drama. And you can't get better than Benjamin Sisko.
Enjoy the rest!
smackeddog
10/4/2020  3:44 AM
NYKBocker wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

I am on S3E10 now. Wow. I love the new bad guys with the Dominion. Gul Dukat is also a complicated dude.

In regards with Commander Sisko... I was like..."I know this dude". Then it dawned on me.... It's Hawk! From "Spenser for Hire". He is a different commander/captain. He is my favorite character in DS9.

I wasn't too impressed with Sisko at first, back when it first aired, but when he changed his look later in the show and they developed his character more, I thought he was great. Apparently the racist studio bosses insisted he look like a 'safe' middle aged dad and so the actor wasn't allowed to have his usual look of shaved head and beard. Ridiculous. But then that was around the same time as when the creators of Homicide: Life on the Streets were getting notes from the studio bosses complaining if they had 2 or 3 black actors in a scene together with no white characters- they'd send notes saying there needs to be a white character in the scene. Sheesh. Also the female actors throughout Star Trek had to put up with horrid sexist stuff from some of the producers, like being told they look bad for having gained weight, and comments/instructions about their chests etc etc. creepy stuff.

I liked all the cardassian characters, they always seemed to be great actors- Garak was a great one too!

Can't wait until you get to season 4- let me know when you do!

smackeddog
10/4/2020  3:48 AM
efw wrote:I used to be totally anti DS9. Was a total Next Generation loyalist. I finally got around to watching it 5 years ago and damn it's so good!
I like how they started to incorporate season long arcs, foreshadowing the developments in tv in the decades to come. Some of the episodes are just great drama. And you can't get better than Benjamin Sisko.
Enjoy the rest!

Yep, I felt the same at the time- think I watched a few episodes of the first series and gave up, and didn't return to it for years, then loved it. I've always liked ongoing story arcs, so was hooked as soon as I found out it had one. Definitely helped it age well. It had great character development too, glad people are still discovering it

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

10/4/2020  10:14 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/4/2020  10:14 AM
smackeddog wrote:
efw wrote:I used to be totally anti DS9. Was a total Next Generation loyalist. I finally got around to watching it 5 years ago and damn it's so good!
Enjoy the rest!

Yep, I felt the same at the time- think I watched a few episodes of the first series and gave up, and didn't return to it for years, then loved it. I've always liked ongoing story arcs, so was hooked as soon as I found out it had one. Definitely helped it age well. It had great character development too, glad people are still discovering it

I liked the first few seasons, lost interest near the end. Forgot the character's name. But the shapeshifter never used his powers, which was weird. Would have liked it better if it was set on a Federation built outpost.

I liked Voyager more.

smackeddog
10/4/2020  1:44 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
Enjoy the rest!

I liked the first few seasons, lost interest near the end. Forgot the character's name. But the shapeshifter never used his powers, which was weird. Would have liked it better if it was set on a Federation built outpost.

I liked Voyager more.

Probably due to budget reasons- shapeshifting in those days was very expensive

GustavBahler

10/4/2020  2:05 PM
smackeddog wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
Enjoy the rest!

I liked Voyager more.

Probably due to budget reasons- shapeshifting in those days was very expensive

Lol, could be. Saw the guy who played him on the subway in the late 80s. Saw a few celebrities on the subway back then. Saw Meridith Salinger in my 20s, She was one of the hottest young actors at the time. Couple of guys started standing over her, ogling her. Was about to walk over there and play the hero, but she got off at the next stop. Oh well.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/4/2020  3:01 PM
Shoulder surgery now three months behind me and feeling pretty good. Weather nice getting more exercise and no2 3 weeks into sugar/alcohol/carb detox feeing really good. Clear the mind and body. Released 12 lbs off the scale. We organic clean eaters but our kids moved out and easy to control intake. Not unhappy. Its not denial when you pivot to something better and not hungry or deficient. Two reasons, technically I’m healthy but have some history and if covid comes a knocking i will give it a fight. Not with words but to be at my best. Been 14 months since I last played tennis and not sure when I can get back but I’m motivated to move better and woefully out of ON COURT SHAPE. Its not the pounding of basketball but many of you know what happens when you go long stretch and then start playing again. Now do that in your late 50s. I did not start to play tennis until I was 50 and it took about two years to get where my body did not cry the day after. Its like playing half court basketball. In any event this is my next 6 month way of exile.

1st 3 months was like a prolonged snow day.
2nd dealt with shoulder recovery.
3rd habit adjustment and challenge the body beyond previous
4th get ready for an unknown future but stronger.

Things are ****ed up. Control what you can. Be better for yourself and pick up others and help them.

GustavBahler

10/4/2020  11:30 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/4/2020  11:31 PM
Ordered some movies from the last few years that I missed. Watched "Predestination" with Ethan Hawke. Has to be the weirdest time travel movie, Ive ever seen. Found myself saying WTF throughout. Worth checking out for its originality.
GustavBahler

10/4/2020  11:59 PM
Nalod wrote:Shoulder surgery now three months behind me and feeling pretty good. Weather nice getting more exercise and no2 3 weeks into sugar/alcohol/carb detox feeing really good. Clear the mind and body. Released 12 lbs off the scale. We organic clean eaters but our kids moved out and easy to control intake. Not unhappy. Its not denial when you pivot to something better and not hungry or deficient. Two reasons, technically I’m healthy but have some history and if covid comes a knocking i will give it a fight. Not with words but to be at my best. Been 14 months since I last played tennis and not sure when I can get back but I’m motivated to move better and woefully out of ON COURT SHAPE. Its not the pounding of basketball but many of you know what happens when you go long stretch and then start playing again. Now do that in your late 50s. I did not start to play tennis until I was 50 and it took about two years to get where my body did not cry the day after. Its like playing half court basketball. In any event this is my next 6 month way of exile.

Things are ****ed up. Control what you can. Be better for yourself and pick up others and help them.

Glad to hear you're doing better. Knee surgery didnt go as well as expected. More than a year out, trouble going up steps, cant run. Walking is s challenge some days. No internet boast, this old guy could still move like a RB, pre-surgery. Going to see another orthopedist, see if anything can be done.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

10/5/2020  12:15 AM
GustavBahler wrote:Ordered some movies from the last few years that I missed. Watched "Predestination" with Ethan Hawke. Has to be the weirdest time travel movie, Ive ever seen. Found myself saying WTF throughout. Worth checking out for its originality.

Very underrated movie. Definitely needs to be viewed two, maybe three times. I think it came out the same year as Looper. Good time for time travel flicks. You really need to check out Tenet. Not as good as Inception, but still is a very enjoyable time travel flicks. Right now I'm watching The Boys and Utopia on Amazon. The Boys is as dark as ever. Utopia...I think I'm more invested in the concept and the overall plot than I am the actual characters. Have read from some that the original British version is better, so I might binge that and compare.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Nalod
USA
10/5/2020  12:33 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/5/2020  12:35 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:Shoulder surgery now three months behind me and feeling pretty good. Weather nice getting more exercise and no2 3 weeks into sugar/alcohol/carb detox feeing really good. Clear the mind and body. Released 12 lbs off the scale. We organic clean eaters but our kids moved out and easy to control intake. Not unhappy. Its not denial when you pivot to something better and not hungry or deficient. Two reasons, technically I’m healthy but have some history and if covid comes a knocking i will give it a fight. Not with words but to be at my best. Been 14 months since I last played tennis and not sure when I can get back but I’m motivated to move better and woefully out of ON COURT SHAPE. Its not the pounding of basketball but many of you know what happens when you go long stretch and then start playing again. Now do that in your late 50s. I did not start to play tennis until I was 50 and it took about two years to get where my body did not cry the day after. Its like playing half court basketball. In any event this is my next 6 month way of exile.

Glad to hear you're doing better. Knee surgery didnt go as well as expected. More than a year out, trouble going up steps, cant run. Walking is s challenge some days. No internet boast, this old guy could still move like a RB, pre-surgery. Going to see another orthopedist, see if anything can be done.

That sucks. Sometimes shyt don’t go as expected. Rehabs suck. I’m projecting well but way too soon to know if I’ll come all the way back. Range of motion is good but it hurts. I’ll give myself a letter grade after 12 months. How you rehab matters but not always. Infections calcification can disrupt. I know more people that gave up tennis after saying, “I dont/can’t go thru that again”.
I’m sure you gave it a great effort and hope they can find something that can accelerate progress! Good luck

GustavBahler

10/5/2020  12:45 AM
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

That sucks. Sometimes shyt don’t go as expected. Rehabs suck. I’m projecting well but way too soon to know if I’ll come all the way back. Range of motion is good but it hurts. I’ll give myself a letter grade after 12 months. How you rehab matters but not always. Infections calcification can disrupt. I know more people that gave up tennis after saying, “I dont/can’t go thru that again”.
I’m sure you gave it a great effort and hope they can find something that can accelerate progress! Good luck

Thanks. The effort was defintely there. My PT said as much. Wouldnt improve beyond a certain point no matter how much time and effort I put into it. I had a "mid-substance" tear in my quad. Might have lost too much of it, to keep my knee stable. Thats what I hope to find out.

GustavBahler

10/5/2020  1:02 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Ordered some movies from the last few years that I missed. Watched "Predestination" with Ethan Hawke. Has to be the weirdest time travel movie, Ive ever seen. Found myself saying WTF throughout. Worth checking out for its originality.

Very underrated movie. Definitely needs to be viewed two, maybe three times. I think it came out the same year as Looper. Good time for time travel flicks. You really need to check out Tenet. Not as good as Inception, but still is a very enjoyable time travel flicks. Right now I'm watching The Boys and Utopia on Amazon. The Boys is as dark as ever. Utopia...I think I'm more invested in the concept and the overall plot than I am the actual characters. Have read from some that the original British version is better, so I might binge that and compare.

Liked "Looper" got it in my collection. Looking forward to "Tenet". Loved "Interstellar". Just got it in 4k looking forward to watching it. Had an issue with "Inception", and the "middle level" in the 3rd act.

Moving to a place with high speed internet next year. Will watch streaming content. Like having a hard copy.

Nalod
USA
10/5/2020  8:43 AM
James pushed out to April? Movie theatres are dying. No solution really. For me most movies are rarely “must see” and truth be told I forget so many that when they do roll around to pay per view I’ve lost interest. We do Prime,Hulu, Netflix and HB0. Thats more than enough!
Did WestWorld recently and was ok with it. I’m in season three now (Please no spoiler) and while it was not favorably received I do like the 3rd season. Perhaps its Deloris in tight cloths being a bad ass women? A bit of Matrix vintage “Trinity” perhaps?
Back story on Evan Rachel Wood giving testimony In a public hearing in England about being raped/abused by her boyfriend and Another and then taking the Westwood role is an interesting extension to the storyline.
Mandaloian 2 comes out soon. Thats a 4K treat for the eyes!
smackeddog
10/5/2020  1:55 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:

Anyone seen 'Upgrade' yet? should be on streaming by now- great movie, didn't get the attention it deserved when it was released

Also Ex MAchina was good (came out years ago, but enjoyable if you like futuristic/sci-fi stuff, again should be on streaming by now:

GustavBahler

10/5/2020  2:15 PM
smackeddog wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Anyone seen 'Upgrade' yet?

should be on streaming by now- great movie, didn't get the attention it deserved when it was released

Also Ex MAchina was good (came out years ago, but enjoyable if you like futuristic/sci-fi stuff, again should be on streaming by now:

"Upgrade" Also an underrated film. Liked Ex-Machina, liked "Annihilation" even better. Visually stunning. Just got the 4k version. Havent watched it yet.

Another good one from a few years back is "Pandorum".

I also like watching stuff thats so bad its good. "Solar Crisis" is a big budget Japanese produced film with American stars.

Another one is the TV series "The Starlost" with Keir Dullea. Check out the backstory on Wikipedia its fascinating.

BTW Watched the 4k transfer of 2001. All I can say ia holy ****. Cant say it makes it a different film, but it looks more different than I thought it would. Watch the bluray, then the 4k, the colors are much more vibrant.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
10/5/2020  4:40 PM
smackeddog wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

I wasn't too impressed with Sisko at first, back when it first aired, but when he changed his look later in the show and they developed his character more, I thought he was great. Apparently the racist studio bosses insisted he look like a 'safe' middle aged dad and so the actor wasn't allowed to have his usual look of shaved head and beard. Ridiculous. But then that was around the same time as when the creators of Homicide: Life on the Streets were getting notes from the studio bosses complaining if they had 2 or 3 black actors in a scene together with no white characters- they'd send notes saying there needs to be a white character in the scene. Sheesh. Also the female actors throughout Star Trek had to put up with horrid sexist stuff from some of the producers, like being told they look bad for having gained weight, and comments/instructions about their chests etc etc. creepy stuff.

I liked all the cardassian characters, they always seemed to be great actors- Garak was a great one too!

Can't wait until you get to season 4- let me know when you do!

I am on Season 4 now. The 1st 2 episodes were awesome. Adding the Klingons into the frey is brilliant. Worf!

You were right about "Visitor". The only thing is my allergies started acting up.

I am on "Little Green Men" right now. Rom is a genius. Who knew?

OT: The ‘How to Spend Your Exile’ thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy