[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: The ‘How to Spend Your Exile’ thread
Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

2/11/2023  9:07 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/11/2023  9:13 AM
One of the best live albums ever

https://www.amazon.com/These-Songs-Live-Donny-Hathaway/dp/B07WJR9HHH/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=donny+hathaway+these+songs+for&qid=1676124281&sr=8-1

KnickDanger wrote:
Marv wrote:another great one in this genre is roberta flack. there's a documentary out on her this year called "roberta." very moving. i've been listening to her body of work pretty steadily since seeing it.

70s soul and R&B is another monster music delight for me. I recall blasting Flack’s singing partner Donnie Hathaway’s “The Ghetto” on the car’s 8 track player. Along with Curtis Mayfield, Sly, Temptations, Al Green, Sound of Philadelphia (and RIP Thom Bell who passed not too long ago)…and so many more. Soul Makossa!

I’m not the old guy to say music sucks now because frankly I’m not up to speed. But it was a great time when you could turn on the radio and hear all the aforementioned along with a diversity of other wonderful music on the radio, and as a soundtrack to life.

AUTOADVERT
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

2/11/2023  10:45 PM
New Marc Maron comedy special on HBO max is a good watch. The new Aquateen Hunger Force movie is also on and it's stupid in the funniest way. Have you ever watched something and wondered why you're high even though you don't remember smoking anything? That's the Hunger Force experience 🤣
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
GustavBahler

2/14/2023  7:34 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/14/style/pharrell-williams-louis-vuitton-mens-creative-director.html

Not really into fashion, my wardrobe is a testament to that lol. But I thought this was impressive considering the brand. Bigger deal than Ye and Addidas

GustavBahler

2/16/2023  11:17 AM
Ive been interested in AI since I was a kid. I read articles like this, and I think about AI software in hardware that controls infrastructure. or in a military drone. Not reassuring.

Reminds me of "Colossus the Forbin Project"

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/16/technology/bing-chatbot-microsoft-chatgpt.html?action=click&module=RelatedLinks&pgtype=Article

BigDaddyG

2/18/2023  5:28 PM
Saw Ant Man and it was OK. The visuals looked pretty good and it was. Don't think I'll rewatch anytime soon, but I didn't fall asleep. The Kang set up was decent, but I think it was mistake introducing him in this movie. Johnathon Majors did a good job, but I feel the stakes seemed to low for a guy who is the big bad for Phase 4. Overall, I'd give the movie a B-. As for the trailers, Guardians and Flash were the highlights, but 65 and Boogeyman also caught my attention.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
2/21/2023  10:50 PM
wow, i’m not usually into war flicks but all quiet on the western front is just an amazing movie. it bypassed tar for my best picture of the year
BigDaddyG

2/21/2023  10:59 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/21/2023  11:01 PM
Marv wrote:wow, i’m not usually into war flicks but all quiet on the western front is just an amazing movie. it bypassed tar for my best picture of the year

Good to know. I've been meaning to check it out. I'll try and give it a go this weekend. Also will add that the new M. Night movie isn't that bad. He has his quirks and there are some goofy moments, but it works. Also, this movie doesn't have a real "twist." In fact, you can argue that it beats you over the head with it's symbolism from the get go.

dodger78
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #250
Germany
2/22/2023  6:10 AM
I really had HUGE expectations on "The Last of Us"... been a big fan of the games and knew it would be tough to manage expectations...
I do like the show though! Great acting, really good story writing... Chernobyl like quality be Craig Mazin - delivered again!!! Btw... if you havent watched "Chernobyl" DO THIS ASAP ... crazy good show!

I also like the 2nd season of Carnival Row in Amazon Prime which just started! Its good!
I have watched some Paramount+ series lately which I REALLY enjoyed!!! Star Trek Strange New Worlds and also 1883 were REALLY good!!!

Regarding movies I think its a little slim pickings at the moment... liked Avatar 2 and havent watched Ant Man 2 yet... but other than that its a little rough in terms of streaming movies atm.

Marv
2/22/2023  8:05 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Marv wrote:wow, i’m not usually into war flicks but all quiet on the western front is just an amazing movie. it bypassed tar for my best picture of the year

Good to know. I've been meaning to check it out. I'll try and give it a go this weekend. Also will add that the new M. Night movie isn't that bad. He has his quirks and there are some goofy moments, but it works. Also, this movie doesn't have a real "twist." In fact, you can argue that it beats you over the head with it's symbolism from the get go.

i haven't seen the new m night but he always seems to have something interesting to say even when he doesn't really click with a movie. i've always considered the village to be a highly underrated movie that packs an emotional punch and gets under your skin and stays there

Marv
2/24/2023  12:10 PM
KnickDanger wrote:
Marv wrote:another great one in this genre is roberta flack. there's a documentary out on her this year called "roberta." very moving. i've been listening to her body of work pretty steadily since seeing it.

70s soul and R&B is another monster music delight for me. I recall blasting Flack’s singing partner Donnie Hathaway’s “The Ghetto” on the car’s 8 track player. Along with Curtis Mayfield, Sly, Temptations, Al Green, Sound of Philadelphia (and RIP Thom Bell who passed not too long ago)…and so many more. Soul Makossa!

I’m not the old guy to say music sucks now because frankly I’m not up to speed. But it was a great time when you could turn on the radio and hear all the aforementioned along with a diversity of other wonderful music on the radio, and as a soundtrack to life.

catching up on this one this morning. brings chills

the scenes of him in the roberta doc are hauntingly sad

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

2/24/2023  12:19 PM
I'm too lazy to mine for this in this thread...

but has anybody or anyone know of people that were able to make money from home in interesting ways? I am in tech and I see the writing on the wall and trying to get a side hustle up so I can at least cover my bills while I find a position somewhere else

DLeethal wrote: Lol Rick needs a safe space
GustavBahler

3/2/2023  6:08 PM
If you want a good laugh (and informative), watch the South Park "Japanese Toilet" episode.

"Last of us" isnt what I expected. Its more of a relationship zombie series. Not really geared towards action. Still good. Just glad it didnt try to be a bad clone of "Walking Dead". Different style of storytelling.

GustavBahler

3/2/2023  6:12 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:I'm too lazy to mine for this in this thread...

but has anybody or anyone know of people that were able to make money from home in interesting ways? I am in tech and I see the writing on the wall and trying to get a side hustle up so I can at least cover my bills while I find a position somewhere else

Always will be young people getting into Tech. Maybe use your experience helping them level up. Online tutoring, career counseling etc..

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

3/3/2023  8:34 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:I'm too lazy to mine for this in this thread...

Always will be young people getting into Tech. Maybe use your experience helping them level up. Online tutoring, career counseling etc..

good advice

I am starting by putting some stuff on Fiverr... but I want to have like 8-12 things set up. And then really pursue the one thing that looks the most promising

Tutoring would be good for me, tech certifications, finance/economics education

DLeethal wrote: Lol Rick needs a safe space
GustavBahler

3/13/2023  12:30 AM
Im glad "Everything all at Once" cleaned up at the Oscars I enjoyed the film and the performances. But its a joke that the editor won an Oscar as well.
GustavBahler

3/25/2023  11:04 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/25/2023  11:05 AM
Watched season 1 of Star Trek Strange New Worlds. On bluray this week.

I wasnt expecting it to be this good. Thought it would be more like a trip through memory lane instead of great mix of the old and new. Best Star Trek since TNG. As much as I'm a big fan of Voyager. Big budget helps.

Great cast, casting. Mount as Pike is more Kirk than the old Pike, but it works.

The CGI is first rate, looks better than recent Marvel films. The bridge looks amazing, I'm guessing some of the screens are 4k, which really stand out.

BTW anyone think crewman "Sam" is similar to Sam Rockwell's character in "Galaxy Quest"?

Looking forward to the subsequent seasons.

ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
3/25/2023  11:16 AM
GustavBahler wrote:Watched season 1 of Star Trek Strange New Worlds. On bluray this week.

I wasnt expecting it to be this good. Thought it would be more like a trip through memory lane instead of great mix of the old and new. Best Star Trek since TNG. As much as I'm a big fan of Voyager. Big budget helps.

Great cast, casting. Mount as Pike is more Kirk than the old Pike, but it works.

The CGI is first rate, looks better than recent Marvel films. The bridge looks amazing, I'm guessing some of the screens are 4k, which really stand out.

BTW anyone think crewman "Sam" is similar to Sam Rockwell's character in "Galaxy Quest"?

I binged most of Discovery and Strange New Worlds last year.

I thought Discovery was really good, then became pure garbage in the latest season, which I didn’t bother finishing.

Looking forward to Strange New Worlds season 2 though.

GustavBahler

3/25/2023  11:23 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/25/2023  11:23 AM
ToddTT wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Watched season 1 of Star Trek Strange New Worlds. On bluray this week.

I binged most of Discovery and Strange New Worlds last year.

I thought Discovery was really good, then became pure garbage in the latest season, which I didn’t bother finishing.

Looking forward to Strange New Worlds season 2 though.

Stopped watching Discovery as well. Never seen a Star Trek show start so well and end so poorly.

GustavBahler

4/12/2023  10:34 AM
That some collection wow

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-11963741/Hidden-collection-14-classic-cars-worth-26m-sold-auction.html?ico=mol_mobile_ushome

The single-owner collection of 12 Ferraris and pair of Mercedes-Benzes is going under the hammer on 20 MayHaul of classics belong to a private owner in Sweden who has kept the vehicles out of public sight for yearsThe oldest dates back 68 years, the most expensive is worth £7.5m and in total they could sell for £26.2m
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
4/22/2023  10:13 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Nalod wrote:
KnickDanger wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:Wow! I can't remember being more excited about a movie in my entire life.
The Citizen Kane of coked up bear films.
I laughed my ass off on that trailer!!!!!!!!

I hope it becomes an ongoing movie series. Ketamine Kangaroo, Peyote Panther and Ecstasy Elephant.

Just saw this movie. Fucking hysterical
OT: The ‘How to Spend Your Exile’ thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy