[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: The ‘How to Spend Your Exile’ thread
Author Thread
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

1/16/2023  1:55 PM
Last of Us... Not that bad. I'm unfamiliar with the game, but the show seems promising so far. I like the premise.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
AUTOADVERT
ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
1/16/2023  3:09 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:Last of Us... Not that bad. I'm unfamiliar with the game, but the show seems promising so far. I like the premise.

Good first episode. I wish I didn’t know story already (from the game).

I hope they have a set number of seasons in mind, and follow through.

Anna Torv all beat up… but still gorgeous.

BigDaddyG

1/16/2023  5:58 PM
ToddTT wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:Last of Us... Not that bad. I'm unfamiliar with the game, but the show seems promising so far. I like the premise.

I just looked her up. They did a good job dirtying her up.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
1/17/2023  12:00 PM
Decent choice of movies out there this year. My faves:
The menu
3000 years of longing
Tar
Aftersun
Elvis
Triangle of sadness
Banshees of Inisherin
After Love
Broker
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/17/2023  12:04 PM
Watched the Lastest season of "The Crown". A bit uneven but some very good story lines outside of Diana. Story of Fayed's and the Romanoffs and links with Monarch was very good. The soap opera stuff not so.
Acting is very good and production is as well.
We are viewing "The Patient" on Hulu. 10 20 minute episodes with Steve Carell and Domhnall Gleeson https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1727304/?ref_=tt_ov_st. Very intense and well done.
Recommend "The Outfit" on Amazon prime. Nice movie set in a Chicago Taylor shop. Gangster theme and well acted. Its a british production. views like a theatrical play. well done.
BigDaddyG

1/17/2023  12:39 PM
Marv wrote:Decent choice of movies out there this year. My faves:
The menu
3000 years of longing
Tar
Aftersun
Elvis
Triangle of sadness
Banshees of Inisherin
After Love
Broker

I caught the menu and it was solid. I would recommend. Don't be fooled by the light humor, Banshees is depressing as hell. Good movie and solid acting, but you need to be in the right mood. I'm skipping out on 3000 Years, but I'm trying to catch on Tar, After sun and Elvis. Elvis is still on HBO max, so I'm sure I'll get to it sooner rather than later.
Marv
1/17/2023  12:53 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Marv wrote:Decent choice of movies out there this year. My faves:
The menu
3000 years of longing
Tar
Aftersun
Elvis
Triangle of sadness
Banshees of Inisherin
After Love
Broker

I caught the menu and it was solid. I would recommend. Don't be fooled by the light humor, Banshees is depressing as hell. Good movie and solid acting, but you need to be in the right mood. I'm skipping out on 3000 Years, but I'm trying to catch on Tar, After sun and Elvis. Elvis is still on HBO max, so I'm sure I'll get to it sooner rather than later.

elvis was surprisingly good. alton mason steals the show as little richard

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

1/17/2023  3:32 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
ToddTT wrote:

I just looked her up. They did a good job dirtying her up.

Watched it last night. Liked the first half, but the second half felt like we jumped 4-5 seasons into "Walking Dead". Will keep watching though.

BigDaddyG

2/4/2023  10:40 PM
Just finished binging Dark. Good show, tho the dialogue is a bit clunky due to it's German origins. Just in time for me to watch that Clips game too. We're all stuck in a loop, Knicks included. Everything we have done or will do we will do over and over and over again—forever. Good night.
GustavBahler

2/5/2023  3:33 AM
Bought the Matrix 4K movie collection. The bluray release was ok, but the 4K transfer is really good. Even if you've seen them a few times, the improvement in picture quality makes it feel like you havent.
GustavBahler

2/9/2023  10:07 PM
RIP Burt Bacharach

My parents were big fans of Burt Bacharach in the 60s, how I became a fan. His work with Dionne Warwick never gets old. Sorry that young people havent heard much of his work. They will put one of his songs on a hit show, and that will spark interest. Amazing how many artists across musical genres that he influenced.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/movies/sc-ent-bacharach-movies-broadway-0210-20230209-4xrebcwzxrewrhkra5wqbwh7xi-story.html

GustavBahler

2/9/2023  10:08 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/02/09/mina-kimes-espn-nfl/?itid=hp-top-table-main_p001_f006

Good article on Mina Kimes

Nalod
USA
2/10/2023  7:12 AM
GustavBahler wrote:RIP Burt Bacharach

My parents were big fans of Burt Bacharach in the 60s, how I became a fan. His work with Dionne Warwick never gets old. Sorry that young people havent heard much of his work. They will put one of his songs on a hit show, and that will spark interest. Amazing how many artists across musical genres that he influenced.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/movies/sc-ent-bacharach-movies-broadway-0210-20230209-4xrebcwzxrewrhkra5wqbwh7xi-story.html

sad day to learn of his passing. He was part of the soundtrack of my yoot.
His song writing is incredible and his compositions timeless.
I bought a CD box set of his career some 15 years ago and revisited many great songs on my home system and it was great fun to peel back the sound in detail.
In 1995 he began writing with Elvis Costello and the iconic “painted from Memory” album was released three years later and it was a masterpiece. Give 5 minutes of time and grab a sample of this brilliant collaboration:

KnickDanger
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #7578

2/10/2023  9:51 AM
Nalod wrote:

I bought a CD box set of his career some 15 years ago and revisited many great songs on my home system and it was great fun to peel back the sound in detail.
In 1995 he began writing with Elvis Costello and the iconic “painted from Memory” album was released three years later and it was a masterpiece. Give 5 minutes of time and grab a sample of this brilliant collaboration:

My musical tastes run wide but that “sophisticated” 60s pop sound plied by songwriter/artists like Jimmy Webb, Laura Nyro, and especially Burt Bacharach hits a sweet spot. Elvis Costello very early in his career recorded a live recording cover of Bacharach/David’s “I Just Don’t Know What To Do with Myself” at what was presented as a punk rock show! Great version and hipped me to how good Bacharach was.

Lots of great musicians passing these days from that generation - the ones that had survived!

Nalod
USA
2/10/2023  10:34 AM
KnickDanger wrote:
Nalod wrote:

My musical tastes run wide but that “sophisticated” 60s pop sound plied by songwriter/artists like Jimmy Webb, Laura Nyro, and especially Burt Bacharach hits a sweet spot. Elvis Costello very early in his career recorded a live recording cover of Bacharach/David’s “I Just Don’t Know What To Do with Myself” at what was presented as a punk rock show! Great version and hipped me to how good Bacharach was.

Lots of great musicians passing these days from that generation - the ones that had survived!

How amazing must the Brill Building have been in its heyday with all the creativity under one structure!
"painted by Memory" opened me up to Costello as more than the new wave artist early in his career. Very prolific writer whose vast catalog is quite diverse!
With Bacharach I was like "when did Elvis learn how to sing?"
Before Covid I went up to Greensboro that had opened up a small venue (standing room type) to see Elvis and his band. NC Gov Roy Cooper was nearby in the VIP section and was singing along, including the obscure songs.
Costello still puts on a great show and with enthusiasm!

Bacharach made it to 94! He was relevant for a very long time and enjoyed a following like you and I to keep it going. So many wonderful covers of his work thru the years.
Then there was Laura Nyro who was brilliant but could not break out as a singer herself. She died from Cancer way to young!

GustavBahler

2/10/2023  10:46 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/10/2023  10:48 AM
Nalod wrote:
KnickDanger wrote:
Nalod wrote:

How amazing must the Brill Building have been in its heyday with all the creativity under one structure!
"painted by Memory" opened me up to Costello as more than the new wave artist early in his career. Very prolific writer whose vast catalog is quite diverse!
Before Covid I went up to Greensboro that had opened up a small venue (standing room type) to see Elvis and his band. NC Gov Roy Cooper was nearby in the VIP section and was singing along, including the obscure songs.

Bacharach made it to 94! He was relevant for a very long time and enjoyed a following like you and I to keep it going. So many wonderful covers of his work thru the years.
Then there was Laura Nyro who was brilliant but could not break out as a singer herself. She died from Cancer way to young!

Good stuff

I didnt know that a Burt Bacharach cover was on the Beatles first album, and his album was on the cover of the first Oasis album. I liked Isaac Hayes cover of "Walk on by"

KnickDanger

2/10/2023  10:47 AM
Nalod wrote:
KnickDanger wrote:
Nalod wrote:

I saw Elvis the C a few times back in the 80s - always tore down the house. But also had the ability (with the great Attractions) to mix up the styles and dynamics.

Thank God for music!

Marv
2/10/2023  12:07 PM
another great one in this genre is roberta flack. there's a documentary out on her this year called "roberta." very moving. i've been listening to her body of work pretty steadily since seeing it.
KnickDanger

2/10/2023  5:18 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/10/2023  5:20 PM
Marv wrote:another great one in this genre is roberta flack. there's a documentary out on her this year called "roberta." very moving. i've been listening to her body of work pretty steadily since seeing it.

70s soul and R&B is another monster music delight for me. I recall blasting Flack’s singing partner Donnie Hathaway’s “The Ghetto” on the car’s 8 track player. Along with Curtis Mayfield, Sly, Temptations, Al Green, Sound of Philadelphia (and RIP Thom Bell who passed not too long ago)…and so many more. Soul Makossa!

I’m not the old guy to say music sucks now because frankly I’m not up to speed. But it was a great time when you could turn on the radio and hear all the aforementioned along with a diversity of other wonderful music on the radio, and as a soundtrack to life.

BigDaddyG

2/11/2023  12:00 AM
Wow... The newest episode of Last of Us is a real gut punch.
OT: The ‘How to Spend Your Exile’ thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy