[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: The ‘How to Spend Your Exile’ thread
Author Thread
mattshaw78
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #915
8/12/2022  1:19 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
mattshaw78 wrote:For my sanity I have been doing my side gig of reselling stuff I find at garage and estate sale. Also, set up a Youtube channel of my findings.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ7kItdQaCFpSpsHlNIzMcA

Ha, cool Real Ghostbusters lunchbox.

Yeah it is interesting what people collect and seeing things from your childhood

BlueSeats "I like anyone who can make Lebron cry. Melo seems to do it a lot."
AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
8/12/2022  1:22 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:If you're a Neil Gaiman fan or have read Sandman, the Netflix adaptation gets a thumbs up. I thought there Sandman could be transferred to the small or big screen.

I never got why the original graphic novels were so highly regarded- they were enjoyable enough, but felt like I was missing something, so am looking forward to watching this with fresh eyes (and a few decades break!)

mattshaw78
Member: #915
8/12/2022  1:24 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/12/2022  1:44 PM
smackeddog wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:If you're a Neil Gaiman fan or have read Sandman, the Netflix adaptation gets a thumbs up. I thought there Sandman could be transferred to the small or big screen.

I never got why the original graphic novels were so highly regarded- they were enjoyable enough, but felt like I was missing something, so am looking forward to watching this with fresh eyes (and a few decades break!)

I think they have an awesome cast for the show. I wasn't too into comic book series but to me it has that American Gods feel to it but better
BlueSeats "I like anyone who can make Lebron cry. Melo seems to do it a lot."
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

8/12/2022  1:31 PM
smackeddog wrote:

I wasn't the hugest fan, but it was an interesting run. Gaiman and Alan Moore did some cool stuff with the magical side of the DCU and that groundwork exists today. I never thought Sandman could be adopted and I'm almost shocked at the show's execution. I thought it would be more along the lines of Lucifer or the Keanu version of Constantine. I enjoyed both, but they seemed like different characters from the versions I enjoyed from the comic books.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
BigDaddyG

8/12/2022  1:34 PM
mattshaw78 wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

I think they have an awesome cat for the show. I wasn't too into comic book series but to me it has that American Gods feel to it but better

Yep. I was a little disappointed with some of the changes. John Constantine is one of my favorite characters for example. But to be fair, it really doesn't change the core of the source material.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
wargames
Member: #6053

8/12/2022  9:32 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

I wasn't the hugest fan, but it was an interesting run. Gaiman and Alan Moore did some cool stuff with the magical side of the DCU and that groundwork exists today. I never thought Sandman could be adopted and I'm almost shocked at the show's execution. I thought it would be more along the lines of Lucifer or the Keanu version of Constantine. I enjoyed both, but they seemed like different characters from the versions I enjoyed from the comic books.

I kind of hope they take a stab at Lucifer like done in the comic. It’s not Sandman but it’s still amazing, and significantly deeper than the CW show.
The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

8/14/2022  10:11 AM
Looks like Len Grossman from "Tropic Thunder' is getting his own film. Hilarious movie, Didnt know Tom Cruise could be that funny.

BigDaddyG

8/14/2022  5:24 PM
NYKBocker wrote:Just watched "Prey" in Hulu. It was awesome. Highly recommend

Just finished watching it Real solid film. I've always liked Amber Midthunder since she was on legion. She exudes a noticeable physicality without being over the top. And she's low-key hot. It would be cool if they did other Predator period pieces. Predator in Norway or Africa. Predator in feudal Japan. I'm all for it.

GustavBahler

8/14/2022  11:48 PM
Watched the season finale of Westworld. It raised more questions than it answered. Was worth it just for the "camping" reference, lol.
smackeddog
8/15/2022  5:21 AM
GustavBahler wrote:Watched the season finale of Westworld. It raised more questions than it answered. Was worth it just for the "camping" reference, lol.

I didn't really like the first season, or the second (which is why I'm so far behind!), but am in the midst of watching the third and really enjoying it- not sure why season3 gt such a mixed/ poor reception, I think it's great so far! Looking forward to the 4th!

BigDaddyG

8/15/2022  7:18 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/15/2022  7:20 AM
GustavBahler wrote:Watched the season finale of Westworld. It raised more questions than it answered. Was worth it just for the "camping" reference, lol.

Yeah, I liked that William scene. The fourth season was just OK. A lot of things didn't make sense with Hale/Delores dynamic to me and most of it was setup for the fifth (final?) season. I think the 4th season would have been better with less episode as. So much of it seemed like filler. Unfortunately, the show looks like it might not get a final season with all the programming that's getting amputated on HBO.

GustavBahler

8/15/2022  12:05 PM
smackeddog wrote:

I didn't really like the first season, or the second (which is why I'm so far behind!), but am in the midst of watching the third and really enjoying it- not sure why season3 gt such a mixed/ poor reception, I think it's great so far! Looking forward to the 4th!

I didnt like the first season either. But I thought it got better from there. I liked season 3 as well. Gets better as the story moves beyond Westworld.

GustavBahler

8/15/2022  12:11 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:

Yeah, I liked that William scene. The fourth season was just OK. A lot of things didn't make sense with Hale/Delores dynamic to me and most of it was setup for the fifth (final?) season. I think the 4th season would have been better with less episode as. So much of it seemed like filler. Unfortunately, the show looks like it might not get a final season with all the programming that's getting amputated on HBO.

William and Mave are my two favorite characters. "Meandering" is how I would describe the season finale, which was an issue in the first season. Im pretty sure there will be at least one more season to tie up all the loose ends. If anything for the home video market.

smackeddog
8/15/2022  12:16 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:

I hate the short sightedness of channels not properly ending shows, especially in the age of streaming. Worst culprit by far is Netflix, who happily cancelled what seemed like every other show for years. The end result is they're left with a ton of unfinished shows that are pretty much worthless (why get into a a series when you know in advance it ends mid story?) now. Now so many of their non-netflix shows have been taken back by their rivals, Netflix is like a graveyard of unfinished shows, with very few completed works, why bother getting into any of them?- just a stupid short-sighted decision. If they'd properly finished them, people could re-discover them over time and it would have increased their catalogue of finished tv shows- you never know what can have a re-surgence or rediscovery.

GustavBahler

8/15/2022  12:23 PM
Netflix was cranking out so many new shows. With the decline in subscribers, the bean counters might be making the call. Westworld looks like its near the end of its run, which might be enough to get a final season.

smackeddog wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

I hate the short sightedness of channels not properly ending shows, especially in the age of streaming. Worst culprit by far is Netflix, who happily cancelled what seemed like every other show for years. The end result is they're left with a ton of unfinished shows that are pretty much worthless (why get into a a series when you know in advance it ends mid story?) now. Now so many of their non-netflix shows have been taken back by their rivals, Netflix is like a graveyard of unfinished shows, with very few completed works, why bother getting into any of them?- just a stupid short-sighted decision. If they'd properly finished them, people could re-discover them over time and it would have increased their catalogue of finished tv shows- you never know what can have a re-surgence or rediscovery.

BigDaddyG

8/15/2022  12:35 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Netflix was cranking out so many new shows. With the decline in subscribers, the bean counters might be making the call. Westworld looks like its near the end of its run, which might be enough to get a final season.

smackeddog wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

The rating for Westworld took a dive from what I've read. Honestly, while I like the series as a whole, I wouldn't recommend this fourth season to anyone as it was just OK. I'd say 2atch Sandman instead of Better Call Saul instead.

GustavBahler

8/15/2022  12:41 PM
I would recommend it. Not a perfect series like "Better call Saul". But its still fun, and thought provoking. About the future of AI.

BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Netflix was cranking out so many new shows. With the decline in subscribers, the bean counters might be making the call. Westworld looks like its near the end of its run, which might be enough to get a final season.

smackeddog wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

The rating for Westworld took a dive from what I've read. Honestly, while I like the series as a whole, I wouldn't recommend this fourth season to anyone as it was just OK. I'd say 2atch Sandman instead of Better Call Saul instead.

ToddTT
Member: #105
8/15/2022  11:28 PM
Stuff You Should Know. Great podcast.

Also been listening to The Athletic NBA Show podcast since someone mentioned it here on UK.

Recently started listening to the Jalen and Jacoby podcast. Jalen Rose cracks me up.

Anybody got favorites?

Podcasts are also a great cure for insomnia. For me anyhow. I rarely make it through one without nodding off.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/16/2022  12:18 AM
Windhorsts pods are good, Bill Simmons, Ryen Russillo, and The athletic.
Macri and the KNicks film school does good interviews but the not great content. Its a bit forced and diluted as he does too much I think.
smackeddog
8/16/2022  5:10 AM
ToddTT wrote:Stuff You Should Know. Great podcast.

Also been listening to The Athletic NBA Show podcast since someone mentioned it here on UK.

Recently started listening to the Jalen and Jacoby podcast. Jalen Rose cracks me up.

Anybody got favorites?

Podcasts are also a great cure for insomnia. For me anyhow. I rarely make it through one without nodding off.

Agreed- I struggled with insomnia for most of my life until I discovered podcasts- some send me to sleep in 10mins, but if that doesn't work, then at least I'm awake listening to something interesting instead of getting anxious or fretting about things!

OT: The ‘How to Spend Your Exile’ thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy