[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: The ‘How to Spend Your Exile’ thread
Author Thread
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
3/17/2020  4:20 PM
A thread where we can make suggestions, share our finds, and keep morale up while life as we knew it takes a break.

I’ve had to finish with nearly all my clients, so am only able to work 2hrs a week for a while. Am planning on rewatching Lost, which is proving very enjoyable so far (I’d forgotten half of it so it’s like a new show), and might read that new bball book: Tanking to the Top:

Review
"Through exhaustive reporting, Yaron Weitzman expertly takes us on a thrill ride through perhaps the NBA's grandest and greatest experiment. The Process was Moneyball on steroids, and Weitzman is our nimble guide through all the drama inside of the board room and on the basketball court. It's the best NBA book in years."―Jonathan Abrams, New York Times bestselling author of All The Pieces Matter and Boys Among Men

"The Philadelphia 76ers are nervous about you reading TANKING TO THE TOP -- with good reason. Yaron Weitzman digs deep into the core of the organization's famous (and infamous) "Process," showing the reader every high, low, success, failure, and, yes, wart. It's a gem of a book; a gift to basketball junkies fascinated by mechanisms of the NBA."―Jeff Pearlman, New York Times bestselling author of Gunslinger and Boys Will Be Boys

"'The Process' was the boldest, brashest, diciest, most controversial roster-building exercise we've seen in the NBA. Sam Hinkie's gambit alarmed fans and outraged NBA executives -- and it worked. But the Sixers' rise from laughingstock to contender was so much more complex and layered than a two-word catch phrase. In TANKING TO THE TOP, Yaron Weitzman unearths new details and fresh insights, with an insider's expertise and a deft touch, providing the definitive account of this fascinating saga."―Howard Beck, senior NBA writer, The Bleacher Report

Anyone read it yet?

Also enjoying The Leftovers, which I’ve finally got round to seeing and is quite apt for the current situation!

AUTOADVERT
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

3/17/2020  5:59 PM
I'm finally making use of that Amazon Prime subscription. Jack Ryan is pretty good. I'm watching an anime called "Blade of the Immortal" that's excellent. Art work is amazing. It's about a Ronin cursed with an infection that makes it impossible for him to die from anything but decapitation. Very gruesome scenes. Also catching up on Curb, The Outside and Better Call Saul. And of course, Westworld. I heard Picard isn't that bad. Will give it a shot.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
smackeddog
3/17/2020  6:11 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:I'm finally making use of that Amazon Prime subscription. Jack Ryan is pretty good. I'm watching an anime called "Blade of the Immortal" that's excellent. Art work is amazing. It's about a Ronin cursed with an infection that makes it impossible for him to die from anything but decapitation. Very gruesome scenes. Also catching up on Curb, The Outside and Better Call Saul. And of course, Westworld. I heard Picard isn't that bad. Will give it a shot.

I haven’t watched any anime since Neon Genesis Evangelion, might use this stretch to catch up on some! Curbs still great. Westworld I thought had too many bare asses on seats the first season (there was like 6 cracks per episode!), was about to give up on it, but enjoyed the s1 finale so will give s2 a shot! I’m saving watching Picard until I’ve finished rewatching TNG, which is now looking like the exact opposite of what the future is probably going to be like

Also finished watching the OA on Netflix, enjoyed it a lot

smackeddog
3/17/2020  6:22 PM

Good times!

BigDaddyG

3/17/2020  6:29 PM
smackeddog wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:I'm finally making use of that Amazon Prime subscription. Jack Ryan is pretty good. I'm watching an anime called "Blade of the Immortal" that's excellent. Art work is amazing. It's about a Ronin cursed with an infection that makes it impossible for him to die from anything but decapitation. Very gruesome scenes. Also catching up on Curb, The Outside and Better Call Saul. And of course, Westworld. I heard Picard isn't that bad. Will give it a shot.

I haven’t watched any anime since Neon Genesis Evangelion, might use this stretch to catch up on some! Curbs still great. Westworld I thought had too many bare asses on seats the first season (there was like 6 cracks per episode!), was about to give up on it, but enjoyed the s1 finale so will give s2 a shot! I’m saving watching Picard until I’ve finished rewatching TNG, which is now looking like the exact opposite of what the future is probably going to be like

Also finished watching the OA on Netflix, enjoyed it a lot

Yeah, Eva got me through many lonely nights in college. Still play the Beast theme when I'm playing games. I may go through Shenmue 1&2 in preparation for part 3. Westworld season 2 almost lost me, but the second half of the season reeled me back in. I can't do a Lost rewatch knowing how frustrating the last season is.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/17/2020  10:15 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/17/2020  10:15 PM

Havent read the anime, but the movie is awesome. Watching Westworld too, Curb "Latté Larry" LMAO. No high speed internet out here in the sticks, but Id check out "the expanse" season 4 is on Amazon.

Akwafina is fing hilarious, funniest comedy central show since "Key and Peele". Going to watch "The Plot against America" as well. Not to mention "Better call Saul" is as good as ever.

bigjeep8
Member: #3297

3/17/2020  10:21 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/17/2020  10:22 PM
I'm catching up on ZZZZZZZ's!
ramtour420
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
3/18/2020  4:33 AM
I busted out my Magic the Gathering collection and taught my 12 y/o daughter how to play. She loves it, helps her brush up on some English and spending time together is great! Also we are thinking about watching Chernobyl, have heard a lot of good things about it.
Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
wargames
Member: #6053

3/18/2020  4:40 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/18/2020  4:41 AM
I am going to watch gammora, zero, zero, zero and Top Boy and Do some house cleaning
The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
dodger78
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #250
Germany
3/18/2020  8:19 AM
wargames wrote:I am going to watch gammora, zero, zero, zero and Top Boy and Do some house cleaning

Gamorra is super good... great call!

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
3/18/2020  8:28 AM
Taking some time to catch up on an old favorite.
https://www.talkbasket.net/59214-the-journey-of-tony-wroten
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/18/2020  10:19 AM
CrushAlot wrote:Taking some time to catch up on an old favorite.
https://www.talkbasket.net/59214-the-journey-of-tony-wroten

HAHAHAA you need to live post while reading in that one thread

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
3/18/2020  12:26 PM
Just finished watching the Kingdom on Netflix. It is good if you like zombie series. Also watched some anime on Amazon Prime -Mobile Gundam Origins, which is good and showed the begin of the whole Mobil Gundam series.
Trust the Process
BigDaddyG

3/18/2020  12:39 PM
GustavBahler wrote:

Havent read the anime, but the movie is awesome. Watching Westworld too, Curb "Latté Larry" LMAO. No high speed internet out here in the sticks, but Id check out "the expanse" season 4 is on Amazon.

Akwafina is fing hilarious, funniest comedy central show since "Key and Peele". Going to watch "The Plot against America" as well. Not to mention "Better call Saul" is as good as ever.

The last season of the Expanse was really good. The first few episodes of season 1 drag a bit due to world building, but the series has consistently gotten better since. I haven't read the books, but I'm tempted. I read the manga for Blade before I saw the live action movie and I was pleasantly surprised. It's not as good as the manga because it was made before the series was completed, but it works pretty well as a stand alone. It goes over the top with the blood spurts and gore, but I consider that a plus. The Amazon anime is a straight adoption of the books. There's also an earlier anime adoption that was just OK.
BigDaddyG

3/18/2020  12:43 PM
TheGame wrote:Just finished watching the Kingdom on Netflix. It is good if you like zombie series. Also watched some anime on Amazon Prime -Mobile Gundam Origins, which is good and showed the begin of the whole Mobil Gundam series.

Gotta check that out. I used to build Gunpla with my little nephew, but stopped watching the series after Gundam Wing. I tried Gundam Unicorn but it wasn't the same. Too many alternate timelines in that series.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/18/2020  12:59 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

The last season of the Expanse was really good. The first few episodes of season 1 drag a bit due to world building, but the series has consistently gotten better since. I haven't read the books, but I'm tempted. I read the manga for Blade before I saw the live action movie and I was pleasantly surprised. It's not as good as the manga because it was made before the series was completed, but it works pretty well as a stand alone. It goes over the top with the blood spurts and gore, but I consider that a plus. The Amazon anime is a straight adoption of the books. There's also an earlier anime adoption that was just OK.

Spot on about parts of season one dragging because of "world building". It was worth it because the show has an epic quality to it. Love the Blade films, although Snipes wss crowded out in the last one. Doesnt get enough credit for starting the whole Marvel machine.

Snipes was very gracious when he heard they were casting Ali as his replacement in a reboot. Looking forward to that film. Curious as to who they will cast as "Whistler", probably a Brit, lol.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
3/18/2020  2:39 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/18/2020  2:39 PM
wargames wrote:I am going to watch gammora, zero, zero, zero and Top Boy and Do some house cleaning

just watch zero zero zero, it was pretty good..

It was like Narcos, the Godfather and traffic all rolled into one movie, just a lot going on, but it all ties in together at the end

ES
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
3/18/2020  4:05 PM
Watching Breaking Bad for the first time. It’s not bad.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
smackeddog
3/18/2020  4:32 PM
ramtour420 wrote:I busted out my Magic the Gathering collection and taught my 12 y/o daughter how to play. She loves it, helps her brush up on some English and spending time together is great! Also we are thinking about watching Chernobyl, have heard a lot of good things about it.

There’s no greater delight than getting your kids into nerdy stuff you used to enjoy- can’t wait to get my niece into Buffy the Vampire Slayer!

smackeddog
3/18/2020  4:34 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/18/2020  4:43 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:Watching Breaking Bad for the first time. It’s not bad.

If you end up loving it, I also recommend The Shield- feel that’s really not got the recognition it deserves

OT: The ‘How to Spend Your Exile’ thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy