[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: Coronavirus updates/info
Author Thread
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
7/24/2020  4:35 AM
martin wrote:I feel pretty darn lucky to be in NYS and in a region that is fairly back to a better place

What annoys me is that other states watched what NY went through and rather than learn and prepare for it, so they wouldn't have to go through it too, they decided just to pretend it never happened because they thought they were so much smarter than reality. It's mind blowing.

AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/24/2020  8:00 AM
smackeddog wrote:
martin wrote:I feel pretty darn lucky to be in NYS and in a region that is fairly back to a better place

What annoys me is that other states watched what NY went through and rather than learn and prepare for it, so they wouldn't have to go through it too, they decided just to pretend it never happened because they thought they were so much smarter than reality. It's mind blowing.

It's unfortunate.

The country has been living Faux Economics for a long, long time (decades) and the policies surrounding them have mostly been trash. The results are now visceral and literally killing people and have spread past the home and community environments to businesses, schools, hospitals, supply chains, working environments. The coronavirus does not discriminate; previous economic policy did.

Trump and his administration made an economic decision and it has failed. Dumb states followed.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
martin
USA
7/24/2020  10:25 AM
martin
USA
7/29/2020  2:40 PM
Holy ****ing dumb

smackeddog
7/29/2020  2:54 PM
martin wrote:Holy ****ing dumb

I swear some people are taking dumb to a whole new level in 2020

martin
USA
7/29/2020  5:48 PM
Havent read the article and can't really speak to the veracity of the data but ugh if even close to true. CA has the 5th largest economy in the world.

martin
USA
7/29/2020  10:07 PM
And so goes the slow downfall of our country

smackeddog
7/30/2020  3:23 AM
I wonder if part of the sheer boneheaded stupidity is due to the near complete erasure of what happened during the 'Spanish' (actually likely originated in the US) Flu pandemic from being commonly taught in basic history. I'd never heard of it until this COVID-19 situation, and it's been crazy reading about it- horrific mortality rates and decimation. Also exactly the same types of idiots in denial about it and refusing to do basic stuff to slow it. Refuse to learn from the past, and I guess you just relive it. Ridiculous that it's pretty much been wiped from the collective conscious.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20181023-the-places-that-escaped-the-spanish-flu

Filthy and frightened, the three young children staggered up the beach. Their tiny frames were feverish and behind them, on board the small sailboat they had drifted ashore upon, lay the bodies of two dead men.

The group had been attempting to flee an outbreak of disease that had devastated their small, isolated village further upstream from the spot where they run aground on the Naknek River in Bristol Bay, Alaska. The three young survivors were quickly taken to a hospital run by a salmon canning company.

Their unexpected arrival at the Alaska Packer Association’s “Diamond O” cannery on the Naknek announced that “Spanish flu” had taken hold in this remote, largely ice-bound part of the world. The inhospitable winter weather conditions had prevented travel to the area between the months of September and May, meaning it had escaped the waves of influenza that swept the world during 1918.

By the time the pandemic had run its course, it claimed somewhere between 50 and 100 million lives – more than the total number of deaths from the terrors of World War One.

The arrival of the boat at the cannery on 4 June 1919 indicated the disease had finally found its way to the remote native Inuit communities that dotted the Alaskan coastline. The next day, the superintendent of the cannery dispatched a team to the children’s village to see if they could help.

What they discovered was horrifying.

Reports from the men on the expedition described the village of Savonoski as being in a “deplorable state” and “wretched”. Nearly all of the adult population in the small cluster of around 10 houses were dead. Those still alive were gravely ill and told how their relatives had dropped even as they walked around. The team from the cannery buried the dead in a mass grave and brought those still alive back to the hospital in Naknek.

It was a picture that was repeated in villages all across Alaska. In just a few days nearly 200 people would die from the disease in the Bristol Bay area, leaving dozens of children orphaned. From some places, stories emerged of packs of stray dogs feasting on the bodies of the dead. In some communities, up to 90% of the population died and the mortality rates were some of the highest in the world.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/30/2020  9:42 AM
smackeddog wrote:I wonder if part of the sheer boneheaded stupidity is due to the near complete erasure of what happened during the 'Spanish' (actually likely originated in the US) Flu pandemic from being commonly taught in basic history. I'd never heard of it until this COVID-19 situation, and it's been crazy reading about it- horrific mortality rates and decimation. Also exactly the same types of idiots in denial about it and refusing to do basic stuff to slow it. Refuse to learn from the past, and I guess you just relive it. Ridiculous that it's pretty much been wiped from the collective conscious.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20181023-the-places-that-escaped-the-spanish-flu

Filthy and frightened, the three young children staggered up the beach. Their tiny frames were feverish and behind them, on board the small sailboat they had drifted ashore upon, lay the bodies of two dead men.

The group had been attempting to flee an outbreak of disease that had devastated their small, isolated village further upstream from the spot where they run aground on the Naknek River in Bristol Bay, Alaska. The three young survivors were quickly taken to a hospital run by a salmon canning company.

Their unexpected arrival at the Alaska Packer Association’s “Diamond O” cannery on the Naknek announced that “Spanish flu” had taken hold in this remote, largely ice-bound part of the world. The inhospitable winter weather conditions had prevented travel to the area between the months of September and May, meaning it had escaped the waves of influenza that swept the world during 1918.

By the time the pandemic had run its course, it claimed somewhere between 50 and 100 million lives – more than the total number of deaths from the terrors of World War One.

The arrival of the boat at the cannery on 4 June 1919 indicated the disease had finally found its way to the remote native Inuit communities that dotted the Alaskan coastline. The next day, the superintendent of the cannery dispatched a team to the children’s village to see if they could help.

Reports from the men on the expedition described the village of Savonoski as being in a “deplorable state” and “wretched”. Nearly all of the adult population in the small cluster of around 10 houses were dead. Those still alive were gravely ill and told how their relatives had dropped even as they walked around. The team from the cannery buried the dead in a mass grave and brought those still alive back to the hospital in Naknek.

It was a picture that was repeated in villages all across Alaska. In just a few days nearly 200 people would die from the disease in the Bristol Bay area, leaving dozens of children orphaned. From some places, stories emerged of packs of stray dogs feasting on the bodies of the dead. In some communities, up to 90% of the population died and the mortality rates were some of the highest in the world.

What's really dad is that we didn't need look back as far as the Spanish Flu. All we needed to do was is go back a few months and look at our neighboring states.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
smackeddog
7/30/2020  10:48 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
smackeddog wrote:I wonder if part of the sheer boneheaded stupidity is due to the near complete erasure of what happened during the 'Spanish' (actually likely originated in the US) Flu pandemic from being commonly taught in basic history. I'd never heard of it until this COVID-19 situation, and it's been crazy reading about it- horrific mortality rates and decimation. Also exactly the same types of idiots in denial about it and refusing to do basic stuff to slow it. Refuse to learn from the past, and I guess you just relive it. Ridiculous that it's pretty much been wiped from the collective conscious.

What's really dad is that we didn't need look back as far as the Spanish Flu. All we needed to do was is go back a few months and look at our neighboring states.

True!

smackeddog
7/30/2020  10:50 AM

What a crook, seems pretty clear he won't accept any electoral result in which he loses.

smackeddog
7/30/2020  10:52 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/30/2020  10:52 AM

Don't let Trump lead you to your death. Belief in Trump's BS and refusal to believe in covid-19's danger does not protect you from it.

martin
USA
7/31/2020  12:31 PM
Our elected leaders, literally showing us how stupid they are. Repeatedly.

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
7/31/2020  1:30 PM
This is gonna change the word as we know it
Life never ever gonna be the same
RIP Crushalot😞
smackeddog
7/31/2020  1:48 PM
BRIGGS wrote:This is gonna change the word as we know it
Life never ever gonna be the same

Rule 1 of life: Life isn't fair
Rule 2: everything changes

World was changing all the time anyways, though I think covid is going to accelerate trends that were already happening (shift to online shopping, automation, people working from home, etc etc). With the right leadership some of these changes could have been good (improved work/life balance, reduced commenting, better environmental policy etc.) Unfortunately we don't have that (and likely won't even with a change of president)- think a lot of politicians have so many vested interests wound up in the status quo, they're just going to try to maintain or bring back the way things used to be, which I don't think is possible long term. Need to embrace the change!

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
7/31/2020  1:48 PM
martin wrote:Our elected leaders, literally showing us how stupid they are. Repeatedly.

I really don't understand how anybody can be this stupid an be an elected official.

martin
USA
7/31/2020  2:07 PM
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/31/2020  3:39 PM
martin wrote:

We have the Vote! thread and the Corona thread. Unfortunately, Covud-19 has become politicized so much in this country that the threads should be merged. I just don't understand how not wearing a mask is any different from not smoking in a public, confined area? Lives are on the line and I have to listen to unhealthy lunatics tell me the mask is making it hard to breathe, not their unhealthy lifestyles. I listened to a sports talk radio host complain that other journalists are politicizing the issue when they suggest leagues should not restart until the situation is under control. Regard for life should Trump whether we can go out to the bar or watch LeBron dunk a basketball.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
martin
USA
8/2/2020  8:41 PM
smackeddog
8/4/2020  2:16 PM

Not covid -19 related, but in keeping with the end of days theme of 2020, horrific looking explosion in Lebanon just an hour or two ago:

OT: Coronavirus updates/info

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy