[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: Coronavirus updates/info
Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/19/2020  7:51 PM

https://www.axisimagingnews.com/radiology-products/imaging-equipment/ct/ct-lung-injury-asymptomatic-carriers-covid-19

A high percentage of people infected by the virus behind the ongoing deadly COVID-19 pandemic—up to 45%—may never show symptoms of the disease, according to the results of a Scripps Research analysis of public datasets on asymptomatic infections.

The authors also conclude that the absence of symptoms may not imply an absence of harm. CT scans conducted on 54% of 76 asymptomatic individuals on the Diamond Princess cruise ship, appear to show significant subclinical lung abnormalities, raising the possibility of SARS-CoV-2 infection impacting lung function that might not be immediately apparent. The scientists say further research is needed to confirm the potential significance of this finding. 
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/19/2020  10:14 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
https://www.axisimagingnews.com/radiology-products/imaging-equipment/ct/ct-lung-injury-asymptomatic-carriers-covid-19

A high percentage of people infected by the virus behind the ongoing deadly COVID-19 pandemic—up to 45%—may never show symptoms of the disease, according to the results of a Scripps Research analysis of public datasets on asymptomatic infections.

The authors also conclude that the absence of symptoms may not imply an absence of harm. CT scans conducted on 54% of 76 asymptomatic individuals on the Diamond Princess cruise ship, appear to show significant subclinical lung abnormalities, raising the possibility of SARS-CoV-2 infection impacting lung function that might not be immediately apparent. The scientists say further research is needed to confirm the potential significance of this finding. 

Yes, and this is the scary part.

IDK, sending kids to school this Sept is still a very scary prospect

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
GustavBahler

7/20/2020  8:39 AM
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Assuming we get a new Pres. Wouldnt send kids back to school until at least a few months into a new administration. I know thats a stretch for a lot of families. Hard to believe schools will be properly funded to deal with this pandemic until Betsy Devos is given the boot.

GustavBahler

7/20/2020  8:40 AM
At least 3,958 people in Texas have died of coronavirus — nearly 20% of those deaths were reported in the past week
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
7/20/2020  11:08 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/20/2020  12:13 PM
Here's coverage of the report of the outcome of the phase 1/2 trials of the oxford vaccine that got released today, looks promising (this is the most likely to conclude phase 3 testing before any other vaccine):

Oxford coronavirus vaccine triggers immune response, trial shows

Early results also indicate vaccine is safe, raising hopes it could help end pandemic

Oxford University’s experimental coronavirus vaccine is safe and generated a strong immune response in about 1,000 people who volunteered to help trial it, researchers have said, raising hopes it could help end the pandemic.

The results published in the Lancet medical journal are preliminary, with the effect of the vaccine measured by the amount of antibodies and T-cells it generates in the blood of the volunteers – not in any response to the virus itself.

Large-scale trials have begun in Brazil and South Africa, however, where infection rates are still high and it will be possible to assess whether vaccinated individuals are less likely to get Covid-19 than others.

Ideally the vaccine would protect against any infection, but scientists already accept it may reduce the severity of the disease instead, meaning people would be less likely to become very sick and die.

The volunteers have been followed up for eight weeks so far after immunisation. It is not yet known whether the high level of antibodies generated will last for at least six months. There are also questions over whether it will work in older adults – flu vaccinations do not give as much protection to older people, whose immune systems function less well than younger people’s.

“The immune system has two ways of finding and attacking pathogens – antibody and T-cell responses. This vaccine is intended to induce both, so it can attack the virus when it’s circulating in the body, as well as attacking infected cells,” said the study’s lead author, Prof Andrew Pollard.

“We hope this means the immune system will remember the virus, so that our vaccine will protect people for an extended period. However, we need more research before we can confirm the vaccine effectively protects against Sars-CoV-2 infection, and for how long any protection lasts.”

Health secretary Matt Hancock said: “A safe and effective vaccine is our best hope of defeating coronavirus and returning to life as normal.

“We have some of our best scientists and researchers working on this, but members of the public have a vital role to play too. So I urge everyone who can to back the national effort and sign up to the NHS Covid-19 vaccine research registry to help find a vaccine as soon as possible.

“Every volunteer will be doing their bit towards finding a vaccine for Covid-19 that will have the potential to save millions of lives around the world and bring this pandemic to an end.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/20/oxford-coronavirus-vaccine-triggers-immune-response-trial-shows

It's already onto phase 3 trials in Brazil and South Africa (those countries were chosen due to their high virus rates), and also got the all clear to try a small study in which they directly expose vaccinated volunteers to the virus (this is risky/ethically controversial which is why it's done rarely, but can dramatically speed up the research process)

smackeddog
7/20/2020  12:19 PM

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
7/20/2020  2:20 PM
“Look,” the president said, “I take responsibility always for everything because it’s ultimately my job, too. I have to get everybody in line.”

I take responsibility always for everything because it’s ultimately my job, too. I have to get everybody in line

Donald Trump

Holy s***. Never thought I would see the day. Even as half assed as it comes off, didn't know he was capable of saying these words.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-says-takes-responsibility-over-140947022.html

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
7/21/2020  6:47 PM
Whatever we say about sports— this corona virus will ultimately take it away. I just so highly doubt we will see sports. And too many lives in the line. It’s great to think about nice things but this one terrible thing is just Going to be such a grievous impediment. We’re somewhat lucky in ct as we have followed strict guidelines and it shows in our lack of cases. But I’m scared it will be back. I did as much medical check ups as I can do personally. I have a service get my food— otherwise I’m simply staying in my house and yard. I know everyone can’t do it but if u can it just takes more people out of the equation.
In terms of stimulus. They need to get more money to the people. The stock market sits at record highs somehow— time for Wall Street to bail out the people of the us
RIP Crushalot😞
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
7/21/2020  6:50 PM
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

No way kids to school

RIP Crushalot😞
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

7/21/2020  6:57 PM
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

I'm just outside of Atlanta and we will be teaching digitally. Kids are back in August and the announcement was made this week. Pretty sure NY will be digital too. Probably wont announce util sometime in August.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
7/21/2020  7:47 PM
Uptown wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

A high percentage of people infected by the virus behind the ongoing deadly COVID-19 pandemic up to may never show symptoms of the disease, according to the results of a Scripps Research analysis of public datasets on asymptomatic infections.

The authors also conclude that the absence of symptoms may not imply an absence of harm. CT scans conducted on 54% of 76 asymptomatic individuals on the Diamond Princess cruise ship, appear to show significant subclinical lung abnormalities, raising the possibility of SARS-CoV-2 infection impacting lung function that might not be immediately apparent. The scientists say further research is needed to confirm the potential significance of this finding

I'm just outside of Atlanta and we will be teaching digitally. Kids are back in August and the announcement was made this week. Pretty sure NY will be digital too. Probably wont announce util sometime in August.
My apologies, but what does digital entail?
martin
USA
7/21/2020  7:48 PM
NYKBocker wrote:
Uptown wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

A high percentage of people infected by the virus behind the ongoing deadly COVID-19 pandemic up to may never show symptoms of the disease, according to the results of a Scripps Research analysis of public datasets on asymptomatic infections.

The authors also conclude that the absence of symptoms may not imply an absence of harm. CT scans conducted on 54% of 76 asymptomatic individuals on the Diamond Princess cruise ship, appear to show significant subclinical lung abnormalities, raising the possibility of SARS-CoV-2 infection impacting lung function that might not be immediately apparent. The scientists say further research is needed to confirm the potential significance of this finding

gotta assume via Zoom and the like?

Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
7/21/2020  9:06 PM
martin wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
Uptown wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Which f’ing sucks but I guess we have to hope and pray for the best.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
dodger78
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #250
Germany
7/22/2020  6:24 AM
Allanfan20 wrote:
martin wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
Uptown wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

We did have a period of roughly 2,5 months of home schooling here in Germany... quite frankly it worked so-so... and showed a couple of things:
- the infrastructure in schools was NOT prepared for home schooling at all
- the burden for the parents is enormous since - if you want to do it right - you have to basically teach the kids as well quite a bit, correct the stuff, explain new content etc.
- home schooling does further widen the gap between the different social backgrounds - e.g. poor kids often times just do not have the means to participate fully (laptops, printer at home etc.) and lesser educated parents cant support as well
- I think there was too little attention payed on the social impact school has for kids... just setting up reguarl calls between the kids to simply talk outside of school topics would have been good I think - did not happen in our school
- also ... the whole topic was basically dealt with differently by every school. It does definately need a higher level organization that everybody has to follow!

BUT... it was the best way to deal with this I think... and it "only" was a short period of time - now the kids are back in school since roughly 1.5 months and everything seems okay so I assume we will be back to full normal in September when schools open again after summer break. That is of course if we can keep the low numbers of newly infected... :-/

martin
USA
7/22/2020  11:44 AM
dodger78 wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
martin wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
Uptown wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

We did have a period of roughly 2,5 months of home schooling here in Germany... quite frankly it worked so-so... and showed a couple of things:
- the infrastructure in schools was NOT prepared for home schooling at all
- the burden for the parents is enormous since - if you want to do it right - you have to basically teach the kids as well quite a bit, correct the stuff, explain new content etc.
- home schooling does further widen the gap between the different social backgrounds - e.g. poor kids often times just do not have the means to participate fully (laptops, printer at home etc.) and lesser educated parents cant support as well
- I think there was too little attention payed on the social impact school has for kids... just setting up reguarl calls between the kids to simply talk outside of school topics would have been good I think - did not happen in our school
- also ... the whole topic was basically dealt with differently by every school. It does definately need a higher level organization that everybody has to follow!

BUT... it was the best way to deal with this I think... and it "only" was a short period of time - now the kids are back in school since roughly 1.5 months and everything seems okay so I assume we will be back to full normal in September when schools open again after summer break. That is of course if we can keep the low numbers of newly infected... :-/

Meanwhile, the US is back to square 1 of about late April as a whole country.

Our Fed gov't has this priority: Re-election, economy, everything to support #1 & #2.

I can see only a few handful of states being able to navigate schools opening prudently, and maybe a few fairly isolated circumstances will also prevail. By Oct (or soon depending on school opening) we will be back home again.

smackeddog
7/22/2020  4:35 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/22/us-coronavirus-death-toll-covid-daily-average

US daily coronavirus deaths surpass 1,000 for first time since June
US death toll at more than 142,000 while Trump admits Covid-19 crisis will ‘get worse before it gets better’

Daily deaths due to Covid-19 on Tuesday surpassed 1,000 for the first time in the US since the start of June, as Donald Trump admitted the crisis would “get worse” before it got better.

The seven-day average for the number of deaths in the country has been slowly rising this month, according to multiple data analyses, and went past the 1,000 mark on Tuesday, taking US fatalities to more than 142,000. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has forecasted that the country will reach 150,000 deaths by early August.

The peak number of people hospitalized at once was 59,000 on Tuesday, according to the Covid Tracking Project, reaching numbers that were last seen in April when the virus was spreading rapidly in the US north-east.

Completely avoidable. Well done to all the idiots who tried to pretend this wasn’t real and helped facilitate it by continuing to back Trump and thinking they were too smart for facts.

martin
USA
7/23/2020  2:56 PM
Not good

martin
USA
7/23/2020  3:22 PM
WTF, if this continues we in a world of hurt

martin
USA
7/23/2020  4:29 PM

martin
USA
7/23/2020  8:38 PM
I feel pretty darn lucky to be in NYS and in a region that is fairly back to a better place

OT: Coronavirus updates/info

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy