Author Thread
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
7/15/2020  2:59 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/15/2020  3:04 PM
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
NotInMyHouse wrote:Latest data. We have a moderate spike in deaths but hopefully new cases are topping. Let's see over the next few weeks.
Hoping for the best. Stay well everyone.

Were you asleep during March to June? Do you not understand how this thing works despite all the global data?

At least he's polite, lol. What this poster is missing, and some experts on TV, who are promoting the same happy talk. Is that it completely neglects to mention that this virus might not kill you. But it can leave you with permanent brain, heart, and lung damage, and it can be passed in the womb during pregnancy.

We are learning new ways every week, about the damage this virus can do to the human body. New cases of Covid should be treated with concern as well.

On top of that I would add the finical ruin of hospitals, state budgets, small business owners, families, individuals on top of the death and medical calamity that is happening.

States like TX and FL rely on sales taxes cause they don't have income taxes like other states, so that's why they want to keep business open. And when states don't have the tax money, teachers, fire fighters, gov't workers, etc. get laid off or programs are not funded.

In America, we got a piddly $1200 check. Other high income countries got 80% of their salaries (or some such number) as well as the social medicine, so not as much worries on those fronts.

Meanwhile, the cruise industry got bailed out. Yay

UK’s initial response was very bad, and their government is almost Trumpian, but even they ended up paying 80% of furloughed workers salaries from March until September! capped at $3,000 PER MONTH! That’s a maximum of almost over the whole period $20,0000!!!!

Even self employed people got 80% of their average income (Based on the past 3 years)

Other countries also did rent debt right offs

AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
7/16/2020  5:11 AM
A very good vaccine tracker:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.html

The one that's looking promising (and committed to providing it on a not for profit basis) and could be ready to roll as early as October is still the Oxford one

Covid Vaccine Front-Runner Is Months Ahead of Her Competition

The University of Oxford candidate, led by Sarah Gilbert, might be through human trials in September. AstraZeneca has lined up agreements to produce 2 billion doses. Could this be the one?

...In April, Oxford struck a deal with British pharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca Plc to spearhead global manufacturing and distribution and help run more trials around the world. AstraZeneca has agreed to sell the vaccine on a not-for-profit basis during the crisis if it proves effective and has lined up deals with multiple manufacturers to produce more than 2 billion doses.
At the end of April, crunching a process that normally takes about five years into less than four months, Gilbert and her colleagues at Oxford’s Jenner Institute started a human trial on 1,100 people...

...When Gilbert testified before a parliamentary committee in early July, one member compared her effort to going into a shed and coming out with a jet engine. Gilbert’s team has leapfrogged other vaccine contenders to the point where it will likely finish vaccinating subjects in its big 10,000-person efficacy trial before other candidates even start testing on that scale, Kate Bingham, chair of the U.K. government’s Vaccine Taskforce, told the parliamentary committee in early July. “She’s well ahead of the world,” Bingham said. “It’s the most advanced vaccine anywhere.”...

...Anthony Fauci, director of the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), has sounded a note of caution about Oxford’s front-runner status. “You’ve got to be careful if you’re temporarily leading the way vs. having a vaccine that’s actually going to work,” he told the BBC recently. Most vaccines in development fail to get licensed. Unlike drugs to treat diseases, vaccines are given to healthy people to prevent illness, which means regulators set a high bar for approval and usually want to see years’ worth of safety data. In the Covid-19 pandemic, it’s not yet clear what regulators will accept as proof of a successful and safe vaccine. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has said a vaccine would need to be 50% more effective than a placebo to be approved and would need to show more evidence than blood tests indicating an immune response. Regulators in other countries haven’t spelled out what would be acceptable.
Gilbert has voiced remarkable confidence in her chances, saying the Oxford vaccine has an 80% probability of being effective in stopping people who are exposed to the novel coronavirus from developing Covid-19. She has said she could know by September. Asked by MPs in early July whether the world would have to struggle through the winter without a vaccine, Gilbert said, “I hope we can improve on those timelines and come to your rescue.”...

...A successful vaccine likely won’t be 100% effective, no matter who wins the race, and success might have different definitions. Not all vaccines produce what’s called sterilizing immunity, in which the body produces neutralizing antibodies that block a virus from getting into cells. Some vaccines don’t prevent infection but trigger the immune system to protect against illness. Jonas Salk’s polio vaccine doesn’t stop infection but prevents the disease that crippled millions. I asked Gilbert what her definition of a successful vaccine would be, but she wouldn’t be drawn out on specifics. “We need a vaccine with a high level of efficacy against disease, which also has a significant impact on virus transmission,” she said...

...After the deal was announced at the end of April, big money followed as Pascal Soriot, AstraZeneca’s chief executive officer, pledged to make the vaccine available at only a “few dollars” per dose. The British government gave £65 million to accelerate the work and secure 30 million doses for the U.K. by September as part of a deal to make 100 million in total, with some reserved for developing countries. Days later, AstraZeneca announced a $1.2 billion deal with the U.S. Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (Barda) to develop and produce 300 million doses, one of the largest deals the agency has announced. AstraZeneca will work with the National Institutes of Health to test it in 30,000 people in the U.S., scheduled to start in August. The company later struck a licensing deal with the Serum Institute of India to produce a billion doses for developing and middle-income countries. Because of expected political pressure—any country with a role in the production of a vaccine might act to secure doses for its own people—AstraZeneca is setting up independent supply chains within countries to prevent delays at national borders...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2020-07-15/oxford-s-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-coronavirus-front-runner

For me the ethics side is just as important as if a country develops one and tries to profit out of it/ exclude other countries, the legacy of that will be toxic and the loss of life globally will be astronomical.

NotInMyHouse
Member: #6433

7/16/2020  9:56 AM
smackeddog wrote:
NotInMyHouse wrote:Latest data. We have a moderate spike in deaths but hopefully new cases are topping. Let's see over the next few weeks.

Were you asleep during March to June? Do you not understand how this thing works despite all the global data?

I tend to not live in the past. And technically we are not in a pandemic right now. Hopefully it stays that way.

From the CDC - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html

“When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.” George R.R. Martin
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/16/2020  10:10 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/16/2020  10:11 AM
NotInMyHouse wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

I tend to not live in the past. And technically we are not in a pandemic right now. Hopefully it stays that way.

From the CDC - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html

Trump was "technically" right about the loss of life after Hurricane Maria, because there were only a handful of confirmed deaths at that time. Several thousand more dead had yet to be discovered, and counted. The residents of Puerto Rico knew it was happy talk.

Covid doesnt have to kill you, to wreck your life. We're getting close to 4 Million Americans with covid, and rising. Pandemic, Epidemic are meaningless distinctions right now.

dodger78
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #250
Germany
7/16/2020  10:36 AM
NotInMyHouse wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Man I have been more than willing to see past your obvious agenda and delusional perception of the topic and discuss facts - but this is RIDICULOUS and reaches stupid "troll" status...
Seriously... how can you with all things happening still try to diminish the severe impact Covid-19 has on the US and the world?!?
Since you like to post URLs without context ... go have a look at that small organization your dumb**** president has decided to leave...
https://covid19.who.int/

I dont give a **** on what you want to call this thing... its destroying lives... everywhere... and in an volume that should bother every "normal thinking empathic" person...

smackeddog
7/16/2020  10:53 AM
NotInMyHouse wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

I tend to not live in the past.

LOL! Absolutely brain dead...

This is basically you:

smackeddog
7/16/2020  11:53 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/16/2020  11:57 AM
Florida sets another single-day record of coronavirus deaths

In the US, Florida has once again broken its single-day record of coronavirus deaths, as the state struggles to get the virus under control.

Florida health officials announced 156 residents died of coronavirus yesterday, breaking the record of 132 deaths reported on Tuesday morning.

The new figure brings the total number of coronavirus deaths in Florida to 4,677. The state has confirmed more than 315,000 cases.

The grim news comes as Florida’s Republican governor, Ron DeSantis, refuses to issue a statewide mask mandate, despite the state’s climbing case count.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/16/2020  11:09 PM
Trumps reaction to death is to tout the Nasdaq. Transactional brain dead man without a soul. .
NotInMyHouse
Member: #6433

7/17/2020  8:16 AM
dodger78 wrote:
NotInMyHouse wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Man I have been more than willing to see past your obvious agenda and delusional perception of the topic and discuss facts - but this is RIDICULOUS and reaches stupid "troll" status...
Seriously... how can you with all things happening still try to diminish the severe impact Covid-19 has on the US and the world?!?
Since you like to post URLs without context ... go have a look at that small organization your dumb**** president has decided to leave...

I dont give a **** on what you want to call this thing... its destroying lives... everywhere... and in an volume that should bother every "normal thinking empathic" person...

Where did I say CV19 is not serious or impacting us?
Have you not seen the Country is split on the best way to handle this? Many people even refuse to wear masks - I'm not saying that.
I posted some good news that pandemic status is done (for now) and I'm attacked. LOL, yeah, I'm the villain here.

How do you feel about the mental health of millions of children and adults being negatively impacted by the lockdown, unemployment, etc?
You do realize there is a direct correlation between unemployment and suicides?
What about all the small businesses that are done and bankrupt?
What about child abuse going up?

This is more than about the virus directly. The side affects are deadly and life destroying. But I see no mention of that here.

“When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.” George R.R. Martin
dodger78
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #250
Germany
7/17/2020  9:01 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/17/2020  9:03 AM
NotInMyHouse wrote:
dodger78 wrote:
NotInMyHouse wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Where did I say CV19 is not serious or impacting us?
Have you not seen the Country is split on the best way to handle this? Many people even refuse to wear masks - I'm not saying that.
I posted some good news that pandemic status is done (for now) and I'm attacked. LOL, yeah, I'm the villain here.

How do you feel about the mental health of millions of children and adults being negatively impacted by the lockdown, unemployment, etc?

This is more than about the virus directly. The side affects are deadly and life destroying. But I see no mention of that here.

Where did I say CV19 is not serious or impacting us? You dont fool anybody concerning your agenda on this topic, dont bother to argue...
Have you not seen the Country is split on the best way to handle this?
No the Country is not split on the best way to handle this - its split by reckless ppl politizicing a matter of life and death - hence you split the population into ppl who want to handle this and ppl who dont want to handle this because of their political Affiliation. This is insane! Also please not how scientists and actually MOST of the rest of the world is NOT split in this matter! AND hence did way better for their Population in dealing with this pandemic!

Well you know what... again leaving the US Focus for a second (because conveniently this **** happened everywhere right - hence its been called a pandemic) - many countries have had lockdowns to "flatten the curve" enough and diminish the size of the outbreak to a degree where opening was "rather safe" again... from own experience... yeah it sucks for the Kids and parents to spend so much time reduced to a somewhat limited live but now we are "back again" and most ppl have dealt with the lockdown fine - oh waith - perhaps it helps that these restriction in our everyday live where NOT politicized and ppl did not feel like there FREEDOM was taken away by the government!

Oh and on top of that... yeah small businesses and bankrupcies, Extended periods of unemployment - hell all this sucks - the same way huge medical bills do - you know who is helping us dealing with these Things in many parts of the world?!? The government, by taking up parts of ppls salaries, by public health care ... all that stuff! And man Im NOT talking about communist countries!

So to conclude... nah I would not call you a villain! Ill call you by what you are - a brainwashed troll... sorry I would love to stay polite but its really difficult to argue sense with a brainwashed troll so...

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/17/2020  1:27 PM
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/17/2020  1:46 PM

Queen Elizabeth knighted Captain Tom Moore on Friday, recognizing the100-year-old for lifting Britain’s spirits during the gloom of the coronavirus pandemic by raising millions of pounds for health workers.

The World War Two veteran raised a record 33 million pounds ($41 million) by walking 100 laps of his garden with the aid of a walking frame in April in the run-up to his landmark birthday.

At an open-air investiture at Windsor Castle, the 94-year-old queen smiled as she dubbed Moore on both shoulders with her knighting sword, which previously belonged to her father, George VI.

Defend democracy. Click to invest in courageous progressive journalism today.

Moore, in a dark suit, stood holding onto a wheeled walking frame.

“Thank you very much,” Moore told the queen. “Wonderful,” the queen said, before greeting Moore’s family. “What an amazing amount of money you have raised.”

The Yorkshireman became a symbol of British endurance in the face of the adversity of the coronavirus crisis and cheered many with his promise that “the sun will shine again”.

“I could never have imagined this would happen to me,” Moore said in a message posted on Twitter before received the ancient accolade.

“It is such a huge honor and I am very much looking forward to meeting Her Majesty The Queen. It is going to be the most special of days for me.”

Moore, who served in India, Burma and Sumatra during World War Two, quipped earlier this year that having a knighthood would be funny because he would be Sir Thomas Moore – a reference to the Tudor statesman Sir Thomas More.

The monarch has been sheltering at Windsor Castle, the oldest permanently inhabited castle in the world, since March.

Other investitures have been postponed because of the coronavirus and Moore’s knighthood was one of the first official duties the queen has carried out since the coronavirus lockdown.

(REUTERS)

smackeddog
7/17/2020  1:47 PM
martin wrote:

Weirdly there are a couple of exemptions- in LA (8 weeks) and Arizona the time lag was much greater, but nobody knows why. It is baffling, though some people on that thread are hypothesising that if you take age into account it helps explain things (so if the age of those initially inffected is largely young, then the deaths take a lot longer to increase due to the lower mortality rate of the virus in young people.)

smackeddog
7/17/2020  1:49 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/17/2020  2:01 PM

This is why Notinmyhouse's comment that he "tends not to live in the past" is so spectacularly, inexcusably dumb- literally the definition of willful ignorance:

Willful ignorance occurs when individuals realize at some level of consciousness that their beliefs are probably false, or when they refuse to attend to information that would establish their falsity.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/why-we-blame/201709/willful-ignorance-and-self-deception

smackeddog
7/17/2020  1:58 PM
Startling news out of Washington. Up to 18 states are regarded as being in a “red zone” by federal health experts, based on their coronavirus cases, and much of the reopening that is happening in the US is probably going too far and doesn’t include enough measures to stop the spread of Covid-19 such as mask-wearing, social distancing and limiting crowds, especially indoors.

A document prepared for the White House Coronavirus Task Force but not publicized suggests more than a dozen states should revert to more stringent protective measures, limiting social gatherings to 10 people or fewer, closing bars and gyms and asking residents to wear masks at all times, the DC news nonprofit the Center for Public Integrity has revealed.

The Center obtained the information and further reports:

18 states are in the “red zone” for Covid-19 cases, meaning they had more than 100 new cases per 100,000 population last week. Eleven states are in the “red zone” for test positivity, meaning more than 10 percent of diagnostic test results came back positive.

It includes county-level data and reflects the insistence of the Trump administration that states and counties should take the lead in responding to the coronavirus. The document has been shared within the federal government but does not appear to be posted publicly.

Ashish Jha, director of the Harvard Global Health Institute, said he thought the information and recommendations were mostly good.

“The fact that it’s not public makes no sense to me,” Jha said Thursday. “Why are we hiding this information from the American people? This should be published and updated every day.”

The 18 states that are included in the red zone for cases in the document are: Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Nevada, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Utah.

The 11 states that are in the red zone for test positivity are Alabama, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nevada, South Carolina, Texas and Washington.

As just one high-profile example of a state avoiding mitigation efforts recommended by the task force’s health experts, Georgia appears on both lists, yet governor Brian Kemp is suing Atlanta to stop mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms from having a mask mandate for the city.

In May, the World Health Organization recommended that governments make sure test positivity rates were at 5 percent or lower for 14 days before reopening. A Covid-19 tracker from Johns Hopkins University shows that 33 states were above that recommended positivity as of July 16.....

The White House and Kemp did not respond to requests for comment Thursday.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2020/jul/17/us-coronavirus-covid-cases-death-toll-record-trump-poll-latest-updates

Clean
Member: #743
7/17/2020  4:04 PM

Hopefully this does not set things back. I will still be treating things like I did back in April. I have seen how bad it can get even for people who recover. I don't want any part of that.

smackeddog
7/17/2020  4:20 PM
Clean wrote:

Hopefully this does not set things back. I will still be treating things like I did back in April. I have seen how bad it can get even for people who recover. I don't want any part of that.

Me too, I'm working on the assumption we may have a vaccine by this time next year, I can stick this out until then

Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
7/17/2020  9:50 PM
smackeddog wrote:
Clean wrote:

Me too, I'm working on the assumption we may have a vaccine by this time next year, I can stick this out until then

IMO, it would be a catastrophe if none of the current vaccines being tested got approved by the FDA.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
smackeddog
7/18/2020  5:01 AM
Useful article on symptom groupings and likelihood of hospitalization:
And there was more. “We saw that there was a very clear gradient between these clusters and outcomes in terms of [participants’ need for] respiratory support,” said Dr Claire Steves, clinical senior author on the paper from King’s College London, adding other factors such as older age or certain pre-existing medical conditions were more common in some groups.

The six groupings, or “clusters”, are:

Cluster 1: Mainly upper respiratory tract symptoms, such as a persistent cough, with muscle pain also present. About 1.5% of patients in this group required respiratory support, with 16% making one or more trips to hospital. This was the most common cluster of symptoms, affecting 462 participants.

Cluster 2: Mainly upper respiratory tract symptoms, but also a greater frequency of skipped meals and fever. Of patients in this group 4.4% required respiratory support, with 17.5% making one or more trips to hospital.

Cluster 3: Gastrointestinal symptoms such as diarrhoea, but few other symptoms. While only 3.7% of patients in this group later needed respiratory support, almost 24% made at least one visit to hospital.

Cluster 4: Early signs of severe fatigue, continuous chest pain and cough. Of patients in this group 8.6% required respiratory support, with 23.6% making one or more trips to hospital.

Cluster 5: Confusion, skipped meals and severe fatigue. Of patients in this group 9.9% required respiratory support, with 24.6% making one or more trips to hospital.

Cluster 6: Marked respiratory distress including early onset of breathlessness and chest pain, as well as confusion, fatigue and gastrointestinal symptoms. Almost 20% of this group needed respiratory support and 45.5% made one or more visits to hospital. But this was the least common symptom cluster, affecting 167 participants.

The researchers say tracking symptoms improves the ability to predict the trajectory of a Covid-19 patient.

Spector said: “By recording all the symptoms and when they occur in something like a medical app you can significantly increase the ability to predict who is going to need hospital support, and potentially save lives.”

Based on the first five days of reported symptoms, together with patient characteristics such as age, sex and pre-existing medical conditions, the team could predict 79% of the time whether a patient would later need respiratory support. Using patient characteristics alone, this figure was just under 70%; chance would give a figure of 50%.

smackeddog
7/19/2020  4:49 AM

Serious question, if Trump was deliberately trying to kill as many Americans as possible from COVID-19 (obviously I don't think he actually is), how would his policy differ from the one he's currently pursuing?

OT: Coronavirus updates/info

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy