[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: Coronavirus updates/info
Author Thread
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
3/15/2020  6:13 AM
smackeddog wrote:France advising against use of ibuprofen and anti inflammatories as it might aggrivate the virus

French authorities have warned that widely used over-the-counter anti-inflammatory drugs may worsen the coronavirus.

The country’s health minister, Olivier Véran, who is a qualified doctor and neurologist, tweeted on Saturday: “The taking of anti-inflammatories [ibuprofen, cortisone … ] could be a factor in aggravating the infection. In case of fever, take paracetamol. If you are already taking anti-inflammatory drugs, ask your doctor’s advice.”

Health officials point out that anti-inflammatory drugs are known to be a risk for those with infectious illnesses because they tend to diminish the response of the body’s immune system.

The health ministry added that patients should choose paracetamol because “it will reduce the fever without counterattacking the inflammation”.

French patients have been forced to consult pharmacies since mid-January if they want to buy popular painkillers, including ibuprofen, paracetamol and aspirin, to be reminded of the risks.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/14/anti-inflammatory-drugs-may-aggravate-coronavirus-infection

Not saying its been completely verified by other countries, but might be worth keeping in mind.

Not the first time I heard that.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/15/2020  7:24 AM
Got a Stent or on a blood thinner, no anti-inflammatory drugs. Tylonal.
Allanfan20
USA
3/15/2020  4:09 PM
Nalod wrote:Got a Stent or on a blood thinner, no anti-inflammatory drugs. Tylonal.

Tylenol is not a blood thinner?

I really don’t know. I just know I usually prefer ibuprofen for the times I need a pill.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
3/15/2020  4:41 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:
Nalod wrote:Got a Stent or on a blood thinner, no anti-inflammatory drugs. Tylonal.

I really don’t know. I just know I usually prefer ibuprofen for the times I need a pill.

I use ibuprofen when I’m starting to get a migraine (along with a drink with caffeine in it), seems to halt it in its tracks. Won’t be risking it for a while though!

smackeddog
3/15/2020  4:43 PM
This man is an absolute monster

Pathetic excuse for a human being

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/15/2020  5:27 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:

Correct

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Nalod
USA
3/15/2020  6:45 PM
If you have a heart issue or did, you’d know what to take. No worries Take Ibrupofen unless told.
firefly
Alba Posts: 17
Member: #721
United Kingdom
3/15/2020  8:21 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/15/2020  8:23 PM
smackeddog wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:

I use ibuprofen when I’m starting to get a migraine (along with a drink with caffeine in it), seems to halt it in its tracks. Won’t be risking it for a while though!

Just a little FYI

Tylenol (or acetaminophen or paracetamol) is not a blood thinner or anti inflammatory drug. It is generally considered one of the safest drugs to take for fevers/mild aches and pains.

Ibuprofen is also not a blood thinning medication. It is part of a group of drugs called non-steroidal anti inflammatory drugs or NSAIDs. They have a slightly stronger effect on pain relief. They are safe to take, however there is a risk of gastric erosions associated with taking them and I'd suggest infrequent use or take any medication that ends with "-azole" with it (omeprazole, lansoprazole, esomeprazole are the most common), as this will protect your stomach. There is no issue with taking Ibuprofen with a stent or blood thinning medication.

Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream things that never were and ask why not?
firefly
Alba Posts: 17
Member: #721
United Kingdom
3/15/2020  8:33 PM
firefly wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:

Just a little FYI

Tylenol (or acetaminophen or paracetamol) is not a blood thinner or anti inflammatory drug. It is generally considered one of the safest drugs to take for fevers/mild aches and pains.

Ibuprofen is also not a blood thinning medication. It is part of a group of drugs called non-steroidal anti inflammatory drugs or NSAIDs. They have a slightly stronger effect on pain relief. They are safe to take, however there is a risk of gastric erosions associated with taking them and I'd suggest infrequent use or take any medication that ends with "-azole" with it (omeprazole, lansoprazole, esomeprazole are the most common), as this will protect your stomach. There is no issue with taking Ibuprofen with a stent or blood thinning medication.

And just to be super clear about what I'm saying I would always advocate taking Tylenol or acetaminophen or paracetamol (it's all the same thing) before any other painkiller. It's just safer, especially now.

Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream things that never were and ask why not?
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
3/15/2020  11:50 PM
i read the same thing about ibuprofen, and went out for Tylenol. Target basically sold out. Did find some at my shoprite.
Allanfan20
USA
3/16/2020  12:14 PM
Well I’m officially out of work, at least for now. Glorious.
Nalod
USA
3/16/2020  12:18 PM
Sorry to add any confusion. Firefly is correct. I meant to say I take Tylenol but I got my reasons.
dodger78
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #250
Germany
3/16/2020  1:42 PM
smackeddog wrote:This man is an absolute monster

This man is just such a dispicable *******!!! Horrible horrible human being!!!
To share a Little bit of info on this.
The guy who owns most of the shares of the company CureVac is Dietmar Hopp the founder of SAP and a pretty social person. He has been very clear that there will not be any restrictions in terms of availability of a vaccine developed by the team there. Its gonna be used interantionally! Also he said that there is a vaccine expected to be available in Fall this year... which is quicker than most ppl have expected!

So thats good news. Lets hope its true!

On the Ibuprofen topic... this is based on two different sources here in Europe it seems.
1. being a fake info shared broadly via Whatsapp that cited the University of Vienna as conducting the research. This has been very clearly rejected and labled as fake by the University.
2. the French governement which has as far as I can tell not cited any research.
There have been plenty of interviews on this topic with virologists and doctors which have denied any connection between Ibuprofen ussage and a difficult course of the desease.

Since this has been solely on the US at this point let me briefly give you guys a short summary on what is happening here in Germany at the moment. Hope its interesting and helpful since we seem to be a little ahead of your guys in terms of the spread of the virus - of course nobody can really tell due to the testing issues in the US. :-/

We had up until yesterday 4383 diagnosed cases and 12 death.
We are roughly 8 days behind in the curve in comparison to Italy.
At this point the rate of death to diagnosed seems to be lower than in Italy and some other countries but this probably still is because we are "early" in the curve and the medical system in Germany is a little better suited with intensive care units etc.

Government has reacted by a partial lockdown in most areas.
Schools and Kindergardens are all closed, ppl are asked to work from home when possible.
Only grocery stores, Pharmacies and banks are basically open.
Ppl are asked to execute social distancing... but honestly... its a so so success in terms of compliance.
In Berlin for example 50 cases were diagnosed after a gourp of ppl infected each other in a club...
Who the **** is clubbing now?!?!

Its a super weired feeling here... since its still very clear that the rate of infection will probably balloon up to 60% of the population with a death rate of 20-25% in the high risk groups...

Guys please take this serious even if you only have limited cases in your area still... its gonna spread super quickly!!!
Stay healthy guys!!!

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

3/16/2020  2:33 PM
dodger78 wrote:In Berlin for example 50 cases were diagnosed after a gourp of ppl infected each other in a club...

I've read about some of the "clubs" in Berlin haha...I think Corona might be on the lower end of diseases they're worried about.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/16/2020  2:45 PM
Thanks for the update from Germany, and Europe. What our president* is practicing is "disaster capitalism". Expect more of it in the coming months, unfortunately.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shock_Doctrine

dodger78 wrote:

The guy who owns most of the shares of the company CureVac is Dietmar Hopp the founder of SAP and a pretty social person. He has been very clear that there will not be any restrictions in terms of availability of a vaccine developed by the team there. Its gonna be used interantionally! Also he said that there is a vaccine expected to be available in Fall this year... which is quicker than most ppl have expected!

On the Ibuprofen topic... this is based on two different sources here in Europe it seems.
1. being a fake info shared broadly via Whatsapp that cited the University of Vienna as conducting the research. This has been very clearly rejected and labled as fake by the University.
2. the French governement which has as far as I can tell not cited any research.
There have been plenty of interviews on this topic with virologists and doctors which have denied any connection between Ibuprofen ussage and a difficult course of the desease.

Since this has been solely on the US at this point let me briefly give you guys a short summary on what is happening here in Germany at the moment. Hope its interesting and helpful since we seem to be a little ahead of your guys in terms of the spread of the virus - of course nobody can really tell due to the testing issues in the US. :-/

At this point the rate of death to diagnosed seems to be lower than in Italy and some other countries but this probably still is because we are "early" in the curve and the medical system in Germany is a little better suited with intensive care units etc.

Schools and Kindergardens are all closed, ppl are asked to work from home when possible.
Ppl are asked to execute social distancing... but honestly... its a so so success in terms of compliance.
In Berlin for example 50 cases were diagnosed after a gourp of ppl infected each other in a club...

Its a super weired feeling here... since its still very clear that the rate of infection will probably balloon up to 60% of the population with a death rate of 20-25% in the high risk groups...

Guys please take this serious even if you only have limited cases in your area still... its gonna spread super quickly!!!
Stay healthy guys!!!

smackeddog
3/16/2020  6:59 PM
dodger78 wrote:

Stay healthy guys!!!

Thanks man, it’s scary times everywhere. I think I read somewhere that one of the reasons the German mortality rate is so low is because they aren’t counting the deaths if the person had an underlining condition (which other countries are, and account for a large amount of the deaths).

Italy’s mortality rate is scary, I know part of it is age related, and the collapse of the health system, but it’s still disturbingly higher than anywhere else- very worrying if we all end up following them.

martin
USA
3/16/2020  7:53 PM
And US is only about 10 days behind Italy, right?
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/16/2020  9:06 PM
martin wrote:And US is only about 10 days behind Italy, right?

Looks that way. Just hoping new cases at least take a summer pause. Not looking forward to fall/winter.

martin
USA
3/16/2020  9:23 PM
martin
USA
3/16/2020  9:24 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:And US is only about 10 days behind Italy, right?

Looks that way. Just hoping new cases at least take a summer pause. Not looking forward to fall/winter.

It’s gonna be wild and crazy ride.

OT: Coronavirus updates/info

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy