OT: Coronavirus updates/info
Author Thread
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
6/1/2020  11:56 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/1/2020  12:03 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-losing-potency-top-italian-184358113.html

Ignore the zillion of other articles and experts, and just post the obscure one you want to believe...

Can I ask an honest question- do you actually do much research into this? Did you even read the article? Does anything that doctor is saying make sense? The reason the virus is on the decline in Italy was because of the stringent lockdown.

This was on tv last night — the virus has lost strength in multiple European countries including Italy. Remember how bad Italy was just a short time ago. I’m not reading or hearing the same news we heard 2 months ago. I expect up abd downs — but if people wear masks/ wash/ social distance. I think we’ll be ok I’m not sure what else to say. I’d like to take an optimistic outlook if I can

I don't mean to be attacking you, but the reason the virus is 'weaker' in Italy is because they had months of a harsh lockdown, which caused the infection rate to plummet- the virus didn't weaken or change, people just weren't able to pass it on due to the lockdown. Any doctor who claims it's because the virus changed is just being bizarre How much can it be suppressed and managed now the lockdown is relaxed? That's the million dollar question, and we'll have a clearer idea in a few months.

Washing hands and social distancing is crucial, cloth masks will only work if enough people wear them- they don't stop you getting it but slightly reduce you passing it on to others by blocking larger water droplets. However you can still a) pass it on by smaller water droplets, b) by getting it on your hands and touching stuff. Don't get lured into a false sense of security with your mask!

The reason the virus spread like wildfire in the first place was because as humans we had zero population immunity to it. Say, we now have at most 10%, that's no where near enough to stop exactly the same thing happening again once everything's opened up again

AUTOADVERT
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

6/1/2020  12:53 PM
smackeddog wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-losing-potency-top-italian-184358113.html

Ignore the zillion of other articles and experts, and just post the obscure one you want to believe...

Can I ask an honest question- do you actually do much research into this? Did you even read the article? Does anything that doctor is saying make sense? The reason the virus is on the decline in Italy was because of the stringent lockdown.

This was on tv last night — the virus has lost strength in multiple European countries including Italy. Remember how bad Italy was just a short time ago. I’m not reading or hearing the same news we heard 2 months ago. I expect up abd downs — but if people wear masks/ wash/ social distance. I think we’ll be ok I’m not sure what else to say. I’d like to take an optimistic outlook if I can

I don't mean to be attacking you, but the reason the virus is 'weaker' in Italy is because they had months of a harsh lockdown, which caused the infection rate to plummet- the virus didn't weaken or change, people just weren't able to pass it on due to the lockdown. Any doctor who claims it's because the virus changed is just being bizarre How much can it be suppressed and managed now the lockdown is relaxed? That's the million dollar question, and we'll have a clearer idea in a few months.

Washing hands and social distancing is crucial, cloth masks will only work if enough people wear them- they don't stop you getting it but slightly reduce you passing it on to others by blocking larger water droplets. However you can still a) pass it on by smaller water droplets, b) by getting it on your hands and touching stuff. Don't get lured into a false sense of security with your mask!

The reason the virus spread like wildfire in the first place was because as humans we had zero population immunity to it. Say, we now have at most 10%, that's no where near enough to stop exactly the same thing happening again once everything's opened up again

I can't blame Briggs for trying to find some positive news. I mean, I can't count times I've lightened up when I saw articles touting cannabis strains as potential vaccines. But everything is speculative at this point.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/science/aussie-medicos-reject-italian-claims-coronavirus-has-become-less-lethal/news-story/d6dc5edfa4011a02a85003994c6b80eb

Aussie medicos reject Italian claims coronavirus has become less lethal

Allan Cheng, an infectious diseases physician at The Alfred hospital and professor of epidemi­ology at Monash University, has also not seen such a trend.

The Alfred processes about 200 COVID-19 tests daily and “we haven’t noticed any difference in viral loads in people we’ve tested”, Professor Cheng said. “We’d be pretty surprised if that was the case. This is not a virus that ­mutates all that quickly.”

He suggested doctors in Italy might be seeing less viral loads in swab samples because people who were not very sick were increasingly being tested.

“It isn’t unusual that as numbers of infections decrease, you can test more people and … start to pick up more people who are not quite as sick.”

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
smackeddog
6/3/2020  12:09 PM
This could be interesting (though I find it difficult to follow or verify), I think it's basically a tentative idea that maybe we have/could build immunity to COVID-19 by immune responses to other much milder corona viruses. I think it's saying that maybe when you fight off, say a cold, you're left with T Cells, which are also effective vs COVID-19. Needs to be researched a lot more, but if true it could mean a huge second surge may be avoidable, as there is/could be wider immunity in the population than presumed (as you may have developed resistance without having had COVID-19, because you've had a different coronavirus). Might explain why young kids seem more resistant to it than you'd think (because they commonly have other coronavirus's circulating in schools). I may have completely misunderstood this though!

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
6/3/2020  12:39 PM
I thought this was an interesting read - doesn't change anything per se, but perhaps our treatment options will improve:

https://elemental.medium.com/coronavirus-may-be-a-blood-vessel-disease-which-explains-everything-2c4032481ab2

Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/3/2020  3:02 PM
smackeddog wrote:This could be interesting (though I find it difficult to follow or verify), I think it's basically a tentative idea that maybe we have/could build immunity to COVID-19 by immune responses to other much milder corona viruses. I think it's saying that maybe when you fight off, say a cold, you're left with T Cells, which are also effective vs COVID-19. Needs to be researched a lot more, but if true it could mean a huge second surge may be avoidable, as there is/could be wider immunity in the population than presumed (as you may have developed resistance without having had COVID-19, because you've had a different coronavirus). Might explain why young kids seem more resistant to it than you'd think (because they commonly have other coronavirus's circulating in schools). I may have completely misunderstood this though!

That would be sexy.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
BigDaddyG

6/8/2020  4:08 PM
https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/news/latest/2020/05/birmingham-designed-test-confirms-COVID-19-as-trigger-for-rare-Kawasaki-like-syndrome-in-children.aspx

Birmingham designed test confirms COVID-19 as trigger for rare Kawasaki-like syndrome in children

A test developed by experts in Birmingham has offered evidence confirming COVID-19 to be the cause of a newly emerged multi-system inflammatory syndrome in children, who have tested negative for the virus by the PCR test. This raises the possibility that children who may have had the virus in their system, even if they haven’t been unwell, could be at risk of developing this new condition.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
smackeddog
6/9/2020  10:39 AM

Every day is a new low

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/11/2020  10:33 AM

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
martin
USA
6/12/2020  1:15 PM
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
6/12/2020  7:48 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/12/2020  7:48 PM
martin wrote:

the world's leadership was ill equipped to handle something like this...all b/c economy was more important than human life. if money was not a part of the equation - what do leaders do? they tell everyone to stay home for 2 weeks and the virus will be dead.

but b/c there's money? hundreds of thousands will be dead by the time we figure this out (IF we figure this out).

the US leadership is flat out dumb, stupid and really is all about money, not you or your life. they are perfectly fine allowing all these deaths to happen as long as they can control the "panic" narrative. why was there panic before? new disease and hospitals overrun. media was able to add into it. now that we've had it for a few months, as long as they can contain the hospitals, then panic will be controlled and media will fall in line.

at the end of the day just remember that your life DOES NOT MATTER. it's the rich that control everything and all they care about is their wallets. people in this country have been manipulated and divided on a F CKING DISEASE THAT IS KILLING PEOPLE. absolute madness.

martin
USA
6/13/2020  6:20 PM
djsunyc wrote:
martin wrote:

the world's leadership was ill equipped to handle something like this...all b/c economy was more important than human life. if money was not a part of the equation - what do leaders do? they tell everyone to stay home for 2 weeks and the virus will be dead.

but b/c there's money? hundreds of thousands will be dead by the time we figure this out (IF we figure this out).

the US leadership is flat out dumb, stupid and really is all about money, not you or your life. they are perfectly fine allowing all these deaths to happen as long as they can control the "panic" narrative. why was there panic before? new disease and hospitals overrun. media was able to add into it. now that we've had it for a few months, as long as they can contain the hospitals, then panic will be controlled and media will fall in line.

at the end of the day just remember that your life DOES NOT MATTER. it's the rich that control everything and all they care about is their wallets. people in this country have been manipulated and divided on a F CKING DISEASE THAT IS KILLING PEOPLE. absolute madness.

YUP. 9/11 death level every 2-3 days and country seems to shrug shoulders

martin
USA
6/15/2020  1:23 PM
martin
USA
6/15/2020  1:23 PM
so this kinda settles it, right?

martin
USA
6/15/2020  1:25 PM
kind of scary how some countries handle corona outbreaks and how we compare

BigDaddyG

6/15/2020  2:22 PM
martin wrote:kind of scary how some countries handle corona outbreaks and how we compare

Countries? It's kind of scary how many states have handled Corona outbreaks in this country hahaha
martin
USA
6/15/2020  3:05 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
martin wrote:kind of scary how some countries handle corona outbreaks and how we compare

Countries? It's kind of scary how many states have handled Corona outbreaks in this country hahaha

Well, that's fair. I only follow the highlights but it does sure seem like there are only a handful of states that are doing this very systematically. And I have no idea what's going on in California, thought Newsom was doing a good job but I see there numbers keep rising

ekstarks94
Member: #6104

6/15/2020  9:24 PM
We are unofficially/officially on the slow track to herd immunity...Trump gave up on keeping the virus at bay and so have a lot of Americans....unfortunately.....many more deaths.....
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/15/2020  9:34 PM
ekstarks94 wrote:We are unofficially/officially on the slow track to herd immunity...Trump gave up on keeping the virus at bay and so have a lot of Americans....unfortunately.....many more deaths.....

Herd immunity is only effective with a vaccine. Fortunately, there seems to be pretty good news on the vaccine front.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
markvmc
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1797

6/15/2020  10:13 PM
Numbers artificially low according to this:

https://covid19science.blogspot.com/2020/06/the-cheating-is-getting-worse.html

smackeddog
6/16/2020  3:31 AM
ekstarks94 wrote:We are unofficially/officially on the slow track to herd immunity...Trump gave up on keeping the virus at bay and so have a lot of Americans....unfortunately.....many more deaths.....

Remember as well as COVID-19 deaths you'll need to add on a whole host of excess deaths as health care collapses under the strain, plus possible horrific long term health implications (possible permanent damage to organs in survivors. Plus the prevalence of co-morbidities in the US means the mortality rate could be much much higher than other countries so far).

Just find it bizarre when you see the response to 9/11, compared to this- "oh lets just not bother trying!"

OT: Coronavirus updates/info

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy