[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: Coronavirus updates/info
Author Thread
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
5/23/2020  4:39 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/23/2020  4:40 AM
Allanfan20 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Im so glad Sanders dropped out.

God help us...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/joe-biden-tells-popular-radio-host-you-aint-black-if-considering-voting-for-trump-154645383.html

Former Vice President Joe Biden suggested Friday morning that an African-American radio personality “ain’t black” if he was questioning whether he should support the presumptive Democratic nominee over President Trump in the general election.

After an aide interrupted the interview to say that the former vice president was running short on time, Charlamagne Tha God asked that Biden pay the studio a visit the next time he’s in New York.

“It’s a long way until November,” he said. “We’ve got more questions.”

“You’ve got more questions?” Biden replied. “Well, I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t black.”

Why did democrats insist on this guy again?

He's a dreadful candidate but he'll support the vested interests and status quo and for a lot of the democrat establishment THAT's the most important thing. I'd like to hear his supporters articulate why they thought he was/is the best candidate the democrats could field, I'm genuinely curious.

AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
5/23/2020  8:11 AM
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
5/24/2020  7:33 AM
https://www.yahoo.com/news/hairstylist-coronavirus-works-8-days-153226032.html

A hairstylist in Missouri saw dozens of clients this month while sick with coronavirus. Despite showing symptoms, the stylist went to work for over a week in May, exposing as many as 91 people to COVID-19.

According to the Springfield-Green County Health Department, the stylist went to work at a Great Clips location in Springfield while showing coronavirus symptoms from May 12 to May 20. Officials said both the stylist, whose name has not been released, and their clients were wearing face coverings during the appointments.

84 clients and 7 coworkers were potentially directly exposed to the virus, officials said. All of the individuals exposed are being notified and offered testing, and the Great Clips location is temporarily closed.

"We hope that this is an overly cautious approach," Director of Public Health Clay Goddard said during a news conference.

Officials did not disclose when the hairstylist tested positive, but said they believe the individual contracted the virus while traveling. Barbershops and salons were allowed to operate in Missouri at the time.

Goddard praised the hair salon for following proper safety and hygiene precautions, in addition to keeping detailed records of clients and employees. He emphasized that he believes it is now safe to go to the salon to seek services.

"It is the hope of the department that because face coverings were worn throughout this exposure timeline, no additional cases will result," the health department said.

However, Goddard said he wished individuals were as diligent as businesses have been. In addition to going to work, he said the stylist also went to his or her local Dairy Queen, Walmart and fitness center.

"I'll be honest, I'm very frustrated to be up here today, and maybe even more so, I'm disappointed," he said. "I wish the same level of personal responsibility had been exercised in this case."

A detailed timeline of the places visited by the stylist can be found on the health department's website.

Missouri Governor Mike Parson lifted many of the state's restrictions and its stay-at-home order on May 4. And as many businesses around the U.S. reopen following weeks or months of lockdown, the threats of community spread remain as high as ever.

"We can't have many more of these. We can't make this a regular habit or our capability as a community will be strained and we will have to reevaluate what things look like going forward," Goddard empasized. "Each of us has to be thinking of the good of ourselves, our family and our community. We don't want to move backward."

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
5/24/2020  11:23 AM
Glad to see life starting back up again. God willing this will be in the rear view mirror. Most people I see adhering to wearing masks — distancing — but we gotta live life.
RIP Crushalot😞
smackeddog
5/24/2020  11:41 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/24/2020  11:49 AM
BRIGGS wrote:Glad to see life starting back up again. God willing this will be in the rear view mirror. Most people I see adhering to wearing masks — distancing — but we gotta live life.

You won't be. Come back in a few months to share how much you're enjoying it.

What do you mean god willing this is in the rear view mirror? Every single piece of scientific information says we're heading towards a giant second surge and huge death toll, stop pretending you don't know this.

As for "we gotta live" every single person who says this does so because they don't think it will be them or their family who die- the tragic truth is it might well be. If you knew your wife was going to die from this would you be in favor of opening up the economy because 'we gotta live'? Of course you wouldn't, so why is it okay if someone else perishes that you don't know?

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/24/2020  11:54 AM
smackeddog wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:Glad to see life starting back up again. God willing this will be in the rear view mirror. Most people I see adhering to wearing masks — distancing — but we gotta live life.

What do you mean god willing this is in the rear view mirror? Every single piece of scientific information says we're heading towards a giant second surge and huge death toll, stop pretending you don't know this.

As for "we gotta live" every single person who says this does so because they don't think it will be them or their family who die- the tragic truth is it might well be. If you knew your wife was going to die from this would you be in favor of opening up the economy because 'we gotta live'? Of course you wouldn't, so why is it okay if someone else perishes that you don't know?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BRIGGS
5/24/2020  12:23 PM
smackeddog wrote:

I don’t know anything About the virus smack— either do you— it’s a new frontier. Life has to go on smack. It’s not sustainable to have tens of millions stay in their houses. 40 mm jobs lost. Kids with burgeoning mental problems from not going to school. Sorry smack. I’ll do my part in adhering to guidelines like e erroneous else seems to be doing. Keep social distancing keep good hygiene but I’m done staying home— so is 90% of the population. People need money smack. They gotta get food money for rent — life has to go on from here. I pray God will have our backs — everyone works together and we’ll get through this. There will be flare ups abd deaths but I do not see a way around it smack. We can’t hide for 3-4 years— not happening

RIP Crushalot😞
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

5/24/2020  12:24 PM

This week, I was in a BK drive thru. Their crispy chicken sandwhich is pretty good. Anyway, I put in an order, then put on my mask. A man ahead of me (looked to be in his 70s) looked in his rearview and started screaming and cursing, as soon as I did. Now imagine millions more people with that attitude, going out, not taking any precautions. Of course its going to get worse.

It was good I did put my mask on, the crew there went from wearing PPE, to wearing little or none at all.

They way its spreading, there might be a second wave this summer, with a bigger third wave this
fall/winter.

FYI, those of you who have been unsuccessfully looking for a chest freezer, been a worldwide shortage. Sears is selling chest freezers on their website. Will take a month or two for delivery. Id limit the trips to the market, when this pandemic really starts picking up steam.

BRIGGS
5/24/2020  12:29 PM
GustavBahler wrote:

This week, I was in a BK drive thru. Their crispy chicken sandwhich is pretty good. Anyway, I put in an order, then put on my mask. A man ahead of me (looked to be in his 70s) looked in his rearview and started screaming and cursing, as soon as I did. Now imagine millions more people with that attitude, going out, not taking any precautions. Of course its going to get worse.

It was good I did put my mask on, the crew there went from wearing PPE, to wearing little or none at all.

They way its spreading, there might be a second wave this summer, with a bigger third wave this
fall/winter.

FYI, those of you who have been unsuccessfully looking for a chest freezer, been a worldwide shortage. Sears is selling chest freezers on their website. Will take a month or two for delivery. Id limit the trips to the market, when this pandemic really starts picking up steam.

I accept I’m gonna have to wear gloves and masks Gusta. Probably for the rest of my years. I’m not oblivious to this — I talked with a nurse from Hartford health and she said cases are way way down. Masks are working. It’s the arseholes who won’t wear a mask — but thankfully it’s a minor amount

RIP Crushalot😞
GustavBahler

5/24/2020  12:32 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/24/2020  12:33 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

fall/winter.

I accept I’m gonna have to wear gloves and masks Gusta. Probably for the rest of my years. I’m not oblivious to this — I talked with a nurse from Hartford health and she said cases are way way down. Masks are working. It’s the arseholes who won’t wear a mask — but thankfully it’s a minor amount

As a pct of the population, its a small number, but there are millions of them who see this as an extension of the culture wars. They dont give an F, and thats not good for anyone.

smackeddog
5/24/2020  1:56 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/24/2020  3:53 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

I don’t know anything About the virus smack— either do you— it’s a new frontier. Life has to go on smack. It’s not sustainable to have tens of millions stay in their houses. 40 mm jobs lost. Kids with burgeoning mental problems from not going to school. Sorry smack. I’ll do my part in adhering to guidelines like e erroneous else seems to be doing. Keep social distancing keep good hygiene but I’m done staying home— so is 90% of the population. People need money smack. They gotta get food money for rent — life has to go on from here. I pray God will have our backs — everyone works together and we’ll get through this. There will be flare ups abd deaths but I do not see a way around it smack. We can’t hide for 3-4 years— not happening

I work in mental health, trust me a huge second wave will trigger far worse mental health problems- those levels of deaths and infections would feel cataclysmic (hospitals over run, morgues over run etc etc). If those kids lose parents or grand parents, or think they passed on the virus that killed them, that will create far worse mental health problems than not going to school. Don't pretend opening up the economy is to help childrens mental health, it seems disingenuous.

You might not know anything about the virus, but fortunately there are a lot of articles that might educate you. There's lots we do know about the virus. We know lockdowns work to squash the infection rate (Rigorous data from nearly every country thats done it). We know rigorous and extensive testing and contact tracing regimes can greatly suppress the spread and keep it low, allowing for lockdown to be lifted. We know you need testing and contact tracing in place BEFORE you lift lockdown otherwise the growth rate just starts to soar again. We know cloth masks only help a little. We know if you do very little the R rate (the average number of people each person infects) is around 2.65, which leads to exponential growth. We know exponential growth rapidly leads to hospitals being overwhelmed, which leads to the mortality rate sky rocketing.

What we don't know: once you get it are you immune forever? for a few months? for a few weeks? The long term health impact following infection- for those that develop pneumonia, will it lead to an increase in lung cancer further down the line? Can we create a vaccine? (maybe but we need some time to try). Can we find more effective treatments (maybe but we need some time).

Nearly every other country is trying to buy time, US, supposedly the greatest country on earth is pretending the only thing we can do is open up the economy and give up. Amazing how nearly every European country has been more effective at dealing with this. We have to buy time to learn more about the virus, to give ourselves the chance of a vaccine or at least more effective treatments and to set up testing and contact tracing. Pretending there are no options is disingenuous.

BRIGGS
5/24/2020  4:38 PM
smackeddog wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

I work in mental health, trust me a huge second wave will trigger far worse mental health problems- those levels of deaths and infections would feel cataclysmic (hospitals over run, morgues over run etc etc). If those kids lose parents or grand parents, or think they passed on the virus that killed them, that will create far worse mental health problems than not going to school. Don't pretend opening up the economy is to help childrens mental health, it seems disingenuous.

You might not know anything about the virus, but fortunately there are a lot of articles that might educate you. There's lots we do know about the virus. We know lockdowns work to squash the infection rate (Rigorous data from nearly every country thats done it). We know rigorous and extensive testing and contact tracing regimes can greatly suppress the spread and keep it low, allowing for lockdown to be lifted. We know you need testing and contact tracing in place BEFORE you lift lockdown otherwise the growth rate just starts to soar again. We know cloth masks only help a little. We know if you do very little the R rate (the average number of people each person infects) is around 2.65, which leads to exponential growth. We know exponential growth rapidly leads to hospitals being overwhelmed, which leads to the mortality rate sky rocketing.

What we don't know: once you get it are you immune forever? for a few months? for a few weeks? The long term health impact following infection- for those that develop pneumonia, will it lead to an increase in lung cancer further down the line? Can we create a vaccine? (maybe but we need some time to try). Can we find more effective treatments (maybe but we need some time).

Nearly every other country is trying to buy time, US, supposedly the greatest country on earth is pretending the only thing we can do is open up the economy and give up. Amazing how nearly every European country has been more effective at dealing with this. We have to buy time to learn more about the virus, to give ourselves the chance of a vaccine or at least more effective treatments and to set up testing and contact tracing. Pretending there are no options is disingenuous.

Disingenuous? Are you paying the rent for 40 million unemployed? Are you putting food on their table? No you’re not. People get it-they overwhelmingly want their life back. People need jobs to provide food and shelter for their kids. We wear masks we wear gloves we space out we wash hands were careful— that’s it smack. I’m not sure even what you are saying— are you telling people to stay in their house until we get a vaccine? Isn’t happening — we already did it AND it’s working. We may have another wave of this. He’ll it may never leave — I don’t know u don’t know no one knows BUT life goes on dude. When you’re in a war you don’t back down. We stayed in our homes for two months— we cut the curve dramatically. Dam for a country of 360 million people with portals to entry unlike any other country— we survived pretty well. We weren’t getting out of this smack— older people especially just weren’t going to do well— we were not prepared — but I’m not looking back. I’m looking forward and I’m taking my kids to the beach tom with a lot of other people to celebrate living in the USA— the best country in the world by far.

RIP Crushalot😞
jskinny35
Member: #928
USA
5/24/2020  6:17 PM
Briggs there's degrees of compliance and minimizing risk though... completely understand those that have to go to work because they need food/rent to survive (my wife works in a hospital setting). For me, your choice of words seem to suggest you have very little awareness of what's going on (when you focus on your right to go to the beach and live your life). Of course you can make your choices, but many here are suggesting that even though you have the right to - maybe minimizing potential risk is more important right now in the global picture... not always, but now when many lives are at risk these days. Going to the beach is a luxury, not a need. You can go and wear a mask (better then no mask), but you come across like you're being wronged when we're all facing similar circumstances and challenges. I get that it's hard to maintain that awareness when you don't see it, or if you don't trust it. I'm in CA where my area has been very fortunate so far. I believe this is because the majority of the culture here is prioritizing safety over entitlement so far. My relatives in AZ and back east (NJ/NY) tell a different story, which helps me keep sight of the big picture.

In trying to understand your viewpoint, I wonder if you a) don't believe things are this bad, b) just need reminders at times b/c you haven't experienced as much impact in your peripheral, c) you are unable/unwilling to put forth the community needs above your own, d) buy into the thinking that this is all overblown/conspiracy/hoax/democrats did this kind of stuff. Maybe there's another explanation and would honestly like to hear it. I have friends who believe in d) btw...

Again, not picking on anyone who needs to work or who is struggling financially due to Covid. The tone would look differently though - it would be more like, "I'm concerned and yet I feel I have no choice b/c I need to work or I'll lose my apartment/house, etc." Much different than, "we gotta live our lives" and "I’m taking my kids to the beach tom with a lot of other people to celebrate living in the USA." We're all fellow Knicks fans and you seem to possess a great deal of basketball knowledge - will assume you're just frustated with how challenging this shelter stuff can be - it is really hard! Think many of us here believe we have to really consider how our individual actions and choices impact pretty much everyone else these days... Those unmasked peeps will likely only prolong any government restrictions and slow down our chance to resume whatever future normal life will look like.

On board with signing Christian Wood btw :)

BRIGGS
5/24/2020  8:39 PM
jskinny35 wrote:Briggs there's degrees of compliance and minimizing risk though... completely understand those that have to go to work because they need food/rent to survive (my wife works in a hospital setting). For me, your choice of words seem to suggest you have very little awareness of what's going on (when you focus on your right to go to the beach and live your life). Of course you can make your choices, but many here are suggesting that even though you have the right to - maybe minimizing potential risk is more important right now in the global picture... not always, but now when many lives are at risk these days. Going to the beach is a luxury, not a need. You can go and wear a mask (better then no mask), but you come across like you're being wronged when we're all facing similar circumstances and challenges. I get that it's hard to maintain that awareness when you don't see it, or if you don't trust it. I'm in CA where my area has been very fortunate so far. I believe this is because the majority of the culture here is prioritizing safety over entitlement so far. My relatives in AZ and back east (NJ/NY) tell a different story, which helps me keep sight of the big picture.

In trying to understand your viewpoint, I wonder if you a) don't believe things are this bad, b) just need reminders at times b/c you haven't experienced as much impact in your peripheral, c) you are unable/unwilling to put forth the community needs above your own, d) buy into the thinking that this is all overblown/conspiracy/hoax/democrats did this kind of stuff. Maybe there's another explanation and would honestly like to hear it. I have friends who believe in d) btw...

Again, not picking on anyone who needs to work or who is struggling financially due to Covid. The tone would look differently though - it would be more like, "I'm concerned and yet I feel I have no choice b/c I need to work or I'll lose my apartment/house, etc." Much different than, "we gotta live our lives" and "I’m taking my kids to the beach tom with a lot of other people to celebrate living in the USA." We're all fellow Knicks fans and you seem to possess a great deal of basketball knowledge - will assume you're just frustated with how challenging this shelter stuff can be - it is really hard! Think many of us here believe we have to really consider how our individual actions and choices impact pretty much everyone else these days... Those unmasked peeps will likely only prolong any government restrictions and slow down our chance to resume whatever future normal life will look like.

Js I’m on board with the 40 mm who lost jobs. It’s not sustainable to stay indoors. We’ve done it. Their is risk that is mitigated by good habits we all have learned. It’s time to live No conspiracy theories — just common sense we cannot sustain a huge portion of people out of work. It’s worse than the virus— it will cause catastrophic issues— it has to be rectified ASAP

RIP Crushalot😞
GustavBahler

5/24/2020  9:28 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
jskinny35 wrote:Briggs there's degrees of compliance and minimizing risk though... completely understand those that have to go to work because they need food/rent to survive (my wife works in a hospital setting). For me, your choice of words seem to suggest you have very little awareness of what's going on (when you focus on your right to go to the beach and live your life). Of course you can make your choices, but many here are suggesting that even though you have the right to - maybe minimizing potential risk is more important right now in the global picture... not always, but now when many lives are at risk these days. Going to the beach is a luxury, not a need. You can go and wear a mask (better then no mask), but you come across like you're being wronged when we're all facing similar circumstances and challenges. I get that it's hard to maintain that awareness when you don't see it, or if you don't trust it. I'm in CA where my area has been very fortunate so far. I believe this is because the majority of the culture here is prioritizing safety over entitlement so far. My relatives in AZ and back east (NJ/NY) tell a different story, which helps me keep sight of the big picture.

Js I’m on board with the 40 mm who lost jobs. It’s not sustainable to stay indoors. We’ve done it. Their is risk that is mitigated by good habits we all have learned. It’s time to live No conspiracy theories — just common sense we cannot sustain a huge portion of people out of work. It’s worse than the virus— it will cause catastrophic issues— it has to be rectified ASAP

This administration has given trillions to prop up a stock market that is almost entirely owned and benefiting about only 20 percent of the population, going by who owns stock. I dont hear this Ayn Rand, pick yourself up by your bootstraps, stuff, when taxpayer money is going mostly to people who dont need it. Who were made whole after the great recession.

I do hear this stuff when it comes to people who are one lost paycheck away from disaster. Its the people who can work from home who are shouting the loudest for everyone to get back to work. Socialism for the rich, Ayn Rand and her philosophy of radical self interest (who went on Social Security and Medicare) for everyone else.

We are in the early stages of the worst global pandemic in a century. Pretending its even close to over is going to cost many lives in the next year or so. Other countries, other govts, put money into payrolls, we put it mostly into Wall Street. I guarantee this "tough love" approach to reopening will send kids stampeding for socialism when the bill comes due.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/24/2020  10:21 PM
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
firefly
Alba Posts: 17
Member: #721
United Kingdom
5/24/2020  10:43 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/24/2020  10:55 PM
I have to say I find this whole conversation really very sad. And also pretty nonsensical.

As mentioned above, noone is denying the vast efffect this virus has had on people. The deaths, the families torn apart, the havoc and the wide-reaching implications of overwhelming the healthcare system.

And then, because of the political setup of the United Sates, the conversation has now changed. If you want to be careful and not harm others by spreading a deadly virus, you're now a bad person. A socialist (like that overarching title should be seen as the worst thing in the world, its not). Anti-American (as if that means anything in reality in a country that's split to the extremes on a 60/40 blue/red divide).

Reading stories about stores not allowing people with masks into the store.

People taking to the streets with guns because somehow thats become a part of the Covid narrative.

Getting yelled at by people on social media because im a medic in the NHS and therefore Im "a part of the conspiracy".

Somehow the story is now one of liberty, freedom and anarchy. And somehow the experts, the public health professionals, the medics, the nurses, the academics, these are all the wrong ones "who dont understand the real problems or, even worse are a part of the problem".

And it boggles my mind. All of these measures are for the sake of saving lives. For the sake of ensuring that we dont spread the virus to people who will die from it. And people dont care. How can they not care??

I appreciate the fact that the economy needs to be woke up. That people need to get back to work. But, plain and simple, if they go back to work the way they were working before Covid, then people will die. Whats needed is a new approach, something that takes into account the horrific reality of the world we now share with a virus that couldnt give a **** what colour you vote.

Overwhelming evidence shows that social distancing brings the R number down. Overwhelming evidence shows that reducing the R number stops infections. Overwhelming evidence shows that the mortality rate from being infected by this virus is logarithmically worse than any seasonal virus or disease we have faced so far. Overwhelming evidence shows that even should you survive, the need for massive amounts of hospital care to get you through the infection will take space away from the usual sick patients who need healthcare intervention and therefore the knock-on effect of the virus is to kill more people with heart disease, cancer, chronic illness, COPD etc. Overwhelming evidence shows that washing hands stops infections. Overwhelming evidence shows that wearing masks, while not perfect, are a good tool to reduce the possibility of infections.

But somehow it has become un-American to care about other people. Un-American to want to keep people safe. Un-American to believe in overwhelming scientific concensus. Un-American to believe that your healthcare workers have your best interests at heart.

And BRIGGS I would honestly truly love to hear why you think America is the greatest country on earth. I love America. Ive lived there, worked there, loved there and plan on doing all those things again in the future. This blind ideal that its somehow "great" is myopic at best and, tbh, utterly hilarious to the rest of the world. At this stage in history, as far as a lot of the world can see, you really dont have much to be proud of.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_rankings_of_the_United_States

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5974516?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAALhqKC6NZ4teQ5wTEC5Keolh94XvJtepr0erePp_sFPYMQYhUjrlcxyzaLYP8zsd-hXbYtqJ_Q-o6wibYzPUt_RtYzfuMbm8YTjR4DeQfmkoh9Ykd_-eVmH4-hAL4RRZmj1JkEXWE9u4MZI8YwNPIcCn0GChkODwshyQvEFUMvGV

General consensus has it that the only thing the United States ranks Number 1 in is violence and preparation for violence. Good job 👍

Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream things that never were and ask why not?
smackeddog
5/25/2020  3:28 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

This administration has given trillions to prop up a stock market that is almost entirely owned and benefiting about only 20 percent of the population, going by who owns stock. I dont hear this Ayn Rand, pick yourself up by your bootstraps, stuff, when taxpayer money is going mostly to people who dont need it. Who were made whole after the great recession.

I do hear this stuff when it comes to people who are one lost paycheck away from disaster. Its the people who can work from home who are shouting the loudest for everyone to get back to work. Socialism for the rich, Ayn Rand and her philosophy of radical self interest (who went on Social Security and Medicare) for everyone else.

We are in the early stages of the worst global pandemic in a century. Pretending its even close to over is going to cost many lives in the next year or so. Other countries, other govts, put money into payrolls, we put it mostly into Wall Street. I guarantee this "tough love" approach to reopening will send kids stampeding for socialism when the bill comes due.

Yep, nearly every European country's governments have been subsidising a high percentage of the populations wages (in the UK they've been paying 80% of their wages for the last three months and will continue to do so until October). Compare that to the US which is CHOOSING not to and instead giving far more money to large corporations (as usual), when the US is in a much better position to essentially fictitiously borrow and print money. It's outrageous that essentially people are being starved to force them to return to dangerous work environments, while the rich people advocating it can either easily work from home or socially distance (i.e. the president). Criminal.

smackeddog
5/25/2020  3:33 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/25/2020  3:50 AM
BRIGGS wrote:I’m looking forward and I’m taking my kids to the beach tom with a lot of other people to celebrate living in the USA— the best country in the world by far.

I just feel exasperated reading that. There's really no other way you could have picked to celebrate living in a country with by far the biggest COVID-19 death toll, than by throwing two fingers up at any attempts to reduce the spread of the virus and going to the beach? It's precisely that mentality (coupled with complete presidential ineptitude) that's lead to the US having by far the highest death toll in the world.

The virus isn't sentient. Your magical thinking will not protect you from it.

smackeddog
5/25/2020  3:38 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/25/2020  3:41 AM
firefly wrote:I have to say I find this whole conversation really very sad. And also pretty nonsensical.

As mentioned above, noone is denying the vast efffect this virus has had on people. The deaths, the families torn apart, the havoc and the wide-reaching implications of overwhelming the healthcare system.

And then, because of the political setup of the United Sates, the conversation has now changed. If you want to be careful and not harm others by spreading a deadly virus, you're now a bad person. A socialist (like that overarching title should be seen as the worst thing in the world, its not). Anti-American (as if that means anything in reality in a country that's split to the extremes on a 60/40 blue/red divide).

Reading stories about stores not allowing people with masks into the store.

People taking to the streets with guns because somehow thats become a part of the Covid narrative.

Getting yelled at by people on social media because im a medic in the NHS and therefore Im "a part of the conspiracy".

Somehow the story is now one of liberty, freedom and anarchy. And somehow the experts, the public health professionals, the medics, the nurses, the academics, these are all the wrong ones "who dont understand the real problems or, even worse are a part of the problem".

And it boggles my mind. All of these measures are for the sake of saving lives. For the sake of ensuring that we dont spread the virus to people who will die from it. And people dont care. How can they not care??

I appreciate the fact that the economy needs to be woke up. That people need to get back to work. But, plain and simple, if they go back to work the way they were working before Covid, then people will die. Whats needed is a new approach, something that takes into account the horrific reality of the world we now share with a virus that couldnt give a **** what colour you vote.

Overwhelming evidence shows that social distancing brings the R number down. Overwhelming evidence shows that reducing the R number stops infections. Overwhelming evidence shows that the mortality rate from being infected by this virus is logarithmically worse than any seasonal virus or disease we have faced so far. Overwhelming evidence shows that even should you survive, the need for massive amounts of hospital care to get you through the infection will take space away from the usual sick patients who need healthcare intervention and therefore the knock-on effect of the virus is to kill more people with heart disease, cancer, chronic illness, COPD etc. Overwhelming evidence shows that washing hands stops infections. Overwhelming evidence shows that wearing masks, while not perfect, are a good tool to reduce the possibility of infections.

But somehow it has become un-American to care about other people. Un-American to want to keep people safe. Un-American to believe in overwhelming scientific concensus. Un-American to believe that your healthcare workers have your best interests at heart.

And BRIGGS I would honestly truly love to hear why you think America is the greatest country on earth. I love America. Ive lived there, worked there, loved there and plan on doing all those things again in the future. This blind ideal that its somehow "great" is myopic at best and, tbh, utterly hilarious to the rest of the world. At this stage in history, as far as a lot of the world can see, you really dont have much to be proud of.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_rankings_of_the_United_States

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5974516?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAALhqKC6NZ4teQ5wTEC5Keolh94XvJtepr0erePp_sFPYMQYhUjrlcxyzaLYP8zsd-hXbYtqJ_Q-o6wibYzPUt_RtYzfuMbm8YTjR4DeQfmkoh9Ykd_-eVmH4-hAL4RRZmj1JkEXWE9u4MZI8YwNPIcCn0GChkODwshyQvEFUMvGV

General consensus has it that the only thing the United States ranks Number 1 in is violence and preparation for violence. Good job 👍

I find the "U-S-A! U-S-A!" mindset response to this situation truly maddening, it's like re-activated indoctrination left over from 'the war against terrorism' or the Cold War- people act like they're defying something sentient and rallying against 'traitors' who are siding with it. It's just truly bizarre. Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face.

However, reading some of the stories from the Spanish Flu epidemic, all of this bone-headed stupidity has happened before, I guess we've never really evolved or developed past the witch hunt mentality or the punishing heretics for thinking the earth was round.

OT: Coronavirus updates/info

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy