[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: Coronavirus updates/info
Author Thread
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
5/20/2020  3:37 PM
Troubling, this was a trend the UK detected a few weeks ago, now apparent in the US too:

New figures compiled by the non-partisan APM Research Lab and released on Wednesday under the title Color of Coronavirus provide further evidence of the staggering divide in the Covid-19 death rate between black Americans and the rest of the nation.

Across the country, African Americans have died at a rate of 50.3 per 100,000 people, compared with 20.7 for whites, 22.9 for Latinos and 22.7 for Asian Americans.

More than 20,000 African Americans – about 1 in 2,000 of the entire black population in the US – have died from the disease.

At the level of individual states, the statistics are all the more shocking. Bottom of the league table in terms of racial disparities is Kansas, where black residents are dying at seven times the rate of whites.

“This is a call to action for our county commissioners, our state and our city officials,” the Kansas state representative Gail Finney told local TV channel KWCH12 recently.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/may/20/coronavirus-us-live-trump-1m-cases-badge-honor-reopen-latest-news-updates?page=with:block-5ec568c38f08a1782fa7e70a#block-5ec568c38f08a1782fa7e70a

AUTOADVERT
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

5/20/2020  3:47 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/20/2020  3:51 PM
I know there are jokes about Darwinism to be made here, but they'll only end up making feel sadder.

https://www.ibtimes.sg/florida-georgia-scrutinized-their-transparency-reporting-coronavirus-cases-45421
Florida And Georgia Scrutinized for Their Transparency on Reporting Coronavirus Cases

While the Coronavirus is forcing the country to shut down several states, Florida and Georgia are now scrutinized for their role in sharing accurate and transparent reports on COVID-19 cases.

As reported earlier, in Florida, a woman official, Rebekah Jones, who was behind the state's "dashboard," a web page showcasing the data related to Coronavirus, claimed that she was removed from the project but later the state government portrayed the story differently in the official statement.

Coming to Georgia, people started questioning data tracking of COVID-19 cases after an inaccurate chart was posted on the Department of Public Health's website with the dates out of order and then officials removed it quickly.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
BigDaddyG

5/20/2020  3:57 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/21/2020  1:02 PM
smackeddog wrote:Troubling, this was a trend the UK detected a few weeks ago, now apparent in the US too:

New figures compiled by the non-partisan APM Research Lab and released on Wednesday under the title Color of Coronavirus provide further evidence of the staggering divide in the Covid-19 death rate between black Americans and the rest of the nation.

Across the country, African Americans have died at a rate of 50.3 per 100,000 people, compared with 20.7 for whites, 22.9 for Latinos and 22.7 for Asian Americans.

More than 20,000 African Americans – about 1 in 2,000 of the entire black population in the US – have died from the disease.

At the level of individual states, the statistics are all the more shocking. Bottom of the league table in terms of racial disparities is Kansas, where black residents are dying at seven times the rate of whites.

“This is a call to action for our county commissioners, our state and our city officials,” the Kansas state representative Gail Finney told local TV channel KWCH12 recently.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/may/20/coronavirus-us-live-trump-1m-cases-badge-honor-reopen-latest-news-updates?page=with:block-5ec568c38f08a1782fa7e70a#block-5ec568c38f08a1782fa7e70a

I remember health professionals in Mississippi and Lousiana making this a point at the outset. This is similar to officials blaming outbreaks at meat processing plants to the cultural lifestyles of the employees and the lack of effective protocols in place to monitor and control in place to control infections.

While co-morbidities are a factor, there is mounting evidence that black Americans are disadvantaged in terms of access to diagnostic testing and treatment for the disease.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
BigDaddyG

5/20/2020  5:55 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/covid-19-outbreak-hits-alabama-182604165.html

Construction workers at football stadiums are continuing to work, and continuing to be hit hard by COVID-19.

After at least 16 workers at the Raiders’ new stadium tested positive, and at least five workers at the Rams’ and Chargers’ new stadium tested positive, there’s now been a significant outbreak of the coronavirus at Alabama’s Bryant-Denny Stadium.

According to AL.com, more than 10 people involved with a major construction project at the stadium have tested positive, and there are fears that far more than that were infected

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

5/21/2020  9:39 AM
Good resource for covid news, and new discoveries in science.

https://www.sciencedaily.com

smackeddog
Member: #883
5/21/2020  12:20 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Good resource for covid news, and new discoveries in science.

https://www.sciencedaily.com

I used to use that site when I was doing a cosmology course- very good!

BigDaddyG

5/21/2020  1:02 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Troubling, this was a trend the UK detected a few weeks ago, now apparent in the US too:

I remember health professionals in Mississippi and Lousiana making this a point at the outset. This is similar to officials blaming outbreaks at meat processing plants to the cultural lifestyles of the employees and the lack of effective protocols in place to monitor and control in place to control infections.

While co-morbidities are a factor, there is mounting evidence that black Americans are disadvantaged in terms of access to diagnostic testing and treatment for the disease.

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/news/2020/05/20/montgomery-down-one-icu-bed-sending-virus-patients-birmingham/5227449002/

Hospitals in Montgomery and Prattville have a total of one ICU bed remaining and are now being forced to send acute care patients to Birmingham for treatment.

Montgomery Mayor Steven Reed said he called a news conference to reveal the sobering situation at the urging of overwhelmed area doctors, and with the Memorial Day weekend ahead. It’s a situation that has had a ripple effect on rural communities around Alabama’s Capital City.

BigDaddyG

5/21/2020  7:28 PM
https://www.cs.cmu.edu/news/nearly-half-twitter-accounts-discussing-%E2%80%98reopening-america%E2%80%99-may-be-bots

Nearly Half Of The Twitter Accounts Discussing ‘Reopening America’ May Be Bots

"We're seeing up to two times as much bot activity as we'd predicted based on previous natural disasters, crises and elections," said Kathleen Carley, a professor in the School of Computer Science’s Institute for Software Research and director of the Center for Computational Analysis of Social and Organizational Systems (CASOS) and Center for Informed Democracy & Social - Cybersecurity (IDeaS.)
BigDaddyG

5/21/2020  7:46 PM
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/health-care/article242844471.html
Florida knew a COVID-19 pandemic was likely. State leaders didn’t warn the public.
While the public was kept in the dark, top Florida health officials were scrambling to come up with a plan for a crisis they knew was upon them, according to internal Florida Department of Health data and communications obtained by the Miami Herald. The records show that on Feb. 13 DOH assembled an emergency response team. The team’s mission: “Contain the spread of the virus.” It also began preparing for N95 mask shortages and privately providing pandemic protocols to long-term care facilities, warning them about the risks the virus posed to elderly residents.

By mid-February, Raul Pino, the recently appointed director of the Department of Health’s office in Orange County, was growing concerned about COVID-19 overwhelming his resources. The department was stretched thin as it tried to comply with U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidance to monitor people who may have been exposed to the virus.

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

5/22/2020  5:21 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:https://www.cs.cmu.edu/news/nearly-half-twitter-accounts-discussing-%E2%80%98reopening-america%E2%80%99-may-be-bots

Nearly Half Of The Twitter Accounts Discussing ‘Reopening America’ May Be Bots

"We're seeing up to two times as much bot activity as we'd predicted based on previous natural disasters, crises and elections," said Kathleen Carley, a professor in the School of Computer Science’s Institute for Software Research and director of the Center for Computational Analysis of Social and Organizational Systems (CASOS) and Center for Informed Democracy & Social - Cybersecurity (IDeaS.)

Twitter is a frickin cesspool. Its exploited by nutjobs and foreign governments
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
GustavBahler

5/22/2020  3:37 PM
Im so glad Sanders dropped out.

God help us...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/joe-biden-tells-popular-radio-host-you-aint-black-if-considering-voting-for-trump-154645383.html

Former Vice President Joe Biden suggested Friday morning that an African-American radio personality “ain’t black” if he was questioning whether he should support the presumptive Democratic nominee over President Trump in the general election.

After an aide interrupted the interview to say that the former vice president was running short on time, Charlamagne Tha God asked that Biden pay the studio a visit the next time he’s in New York.

“It’s a long way until November,” he said. “We’ve got more questions.”

“You’ve got more questions?” Biden replied. “Well, I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t black.”

Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
5/22/2020  4:00 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Im so glad Sanders dropped out.

God help us...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/joe-biden-tells-popular-radio-host-you-aint-black-if-considering-voting-for-trump-154645383.html

Former Vice President Joe Biden suggested Friday morning that an African-American radio personality “ain’t black” if he was questioning whether he should support the presumptive Democratic nominee over President Trump in the general election.

After an aide interrupted the interview to say that the former vice president was running short on time, Charlamagne Tha God asked that Biden pay the studio a visit the next time he’s in New York.

“You’ve got more questions?” Biden replied. “Well, I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t black.”

Why did democrats insist on this guy again?

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
BigDaddyG

5/22/2020  4:08 PM
Priorities God don't do streaming.

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/americas/trump-to-governors-open-houses-of-worship-right-now/1850877

US President Donald Trump said Friday he is designating houses of worship as "essential," urging state governors to allow them to open "right now."

Trump told reporters he is identifying them as "essential places that provide essential services."

"Some governors have deemed liquor stores and abortion clinics as essential, but have left out churches and other houses of worship. That's not right," he said. "I am correcting this injustice and calling houses of worship essential."

Allanfan20
USA
5/22/2020  5:19 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:Priorities God don't do streaming.

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/americas/trump-to-governors-open-houses-of-worship-right-now/1850877

US President Donald Trump said Friday he is designating houses of worship as "essential," urging state governors to allow them to open "right now."

Trump told reporters he is identifying them as "essential places that provide essential services."

"Some governors have deemed liquor stores and abortion clinics as essential, but have left out churches and other houses of worship. That's not right," he said. "I am correcting this injustice and calling houses of worship essential."

I can understand this one but you are right. This is something that can be covered by streaming. I’m sure God can be understanding of this so long as people are worshipping somehow.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
BigDaddyG

5/22/2020  6:20 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:

I can understand this one but you are right. This is something that can be covered by streaming. I’m sure God can be understanding of this so long as people are worshipping somehow.

I did't mean to be too flippant. I'm an atheist, but I understand the role religion can play from a mental, and even physical, perspective. The problem is many of these places of worship aren't following proper protocols. Yes, liquor store aren't open. But liquor stores aren't packing in 100s of people in the aisles. I've seen churches think out of the box to find ways to serve their parishioners. It's daunting, but it can be done. What many of these people who refuse to wear masks or practice social distancing don't realize is that it's not about them. I'm glad their healthy. But what about the guy next to them and their family? This thing can be asymptomatic. Freedom isn't without responsibility. I can smoke, but I have the responsibility to sure I don't bother my neighbors with second hand smoke. I can play music, but I have responsibility to make sure the noise levels don't bother my neighbors. I can own a gun, but I have the responsibility to not menace every stranger you think committed a crime. Fine, go worship. But I don't think God, as far as I understand, doesn't require a public spectacle every time you want to show your devotion. I'm sure he prefer it if you respected the health and well-being of your neighbors.
Allanfan20
USA
5/22/2020  6:51 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:

I did't mean to be too flippant. I'm an atheist, but I understand the role religion can play from a mental, and even physical, perspective. The problem is many of these places of worship aren't following proper protocols. Yes, liquor store aren't open. But liquor stores aren't packing in 100s of people in the aisles. I've seen churches think out of the box to find ways to serve their parishioners. It's daunting, but it can be done. What many of these people who refuse to wear masks or practice social distancing don't realize is that it's not about them. I'm glad their healthy. But what about the guy next to them and their family? This thing can be asymptomatic. Freedom isn't without responsibility. I can smoke, but I have the responsibility to sure I don't bother my neighbors with second hand smoke. I can play music, but I have responsibility to make sure the noise levels don't bother my neighbors. I can own a gun, but I have the responsibility to not menace every stranger you think committed a crime. Fine, go worship. But I don't think God, as far as I understand, doesn't require a public spectacle every time you want to show your devotion. I'm sure he prefer it if you respected the health and well-being of your neighbors.

I’m generally with you. I think it is a matter of following protocol. If a liquor store can keep the place safe then they should be able to keep the business open. I also say that maybe a church can be a standing only room and keep to 25% capacity. Or stick with the streaming now.

I think we’re generally on the same page in terms of guidelines to follow despite not agreeing on religion.

wargames
Member: #6053

5/22/2020  6:59 PM

I Hope Pat comes through ok

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
BigDaddyG

5/22/2020  8:14 PM
wargames wrote:

I Hope Pat comes through ok

Pat's a warrior. This won't be the end of his story, just a new chapter. He'll get through this.

BigDaddyG

5/22/2020  8:20 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:

I’m generally with you. I think it is a matter of following protocol. If a liquor store can keep the place safe then they should be able to keep the business open. I also say that maybe a church can be a standing only room and keep to 25% capacity. Or stick with the streaming now.

I think we’re generally on the same page in terms of guidelines to follow despite not agreeing on religion.

I just get frustrated when people make this more complicated than it has to be. Yes, we know the mask won't protect us from the virus. But it will help soften the blow of infection rates. Six feet isn't far enough, but every little bit helps. I wish people would put as much energy as they did fighting social distancing as they did fighting the problems that have continued plaguing this country the past few decades.
GustavBahler

5/23/2020  4:35 AM
Allanfan20 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Im so glad Sanders dropped out.

God help us...

Why did democrats insist on this guy again?

Because Democrats believe the way to win is to keep moving to the right. What got us Trump.

OT: Coronavirus updates/info

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy