Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
firefly
Alba Posts: 17
Member: #721
United Kingdom
3/23/2020  7:59 PM
martin wrote:

I know this is an echo chamber here and no-one disagrees but.....

I just hope and pray that the state governors start ignoring Trump. I can't think of a person on this planet worse suited to lead the response to this than Donald J Trump. I really fear for the United States of America

Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream things that never were and ask why not?
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
3/23/2020  9:09 PM
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/23/2020  9:29 PM
I tend to agree:

martin
USA
3/23/2020  9:37 PM
Good read:

djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
3/23/2020  11:37 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/23/2020  11:39 PM
hey everyone. hope you are and family are all safe and sound.

just want to chime in to the discussion.

i think we are operating blindly here - we are making too many decisions w/o having a real clear picture of how dangerous or widespread this really is.

in 18/19, the CDC said 490k people were hospitalized with the flu. of that number, 34k people died. when you see 490k and 34k, you are shook b/c those are two huge numbers...and that's with a vaccine. but the world doesn't shut down b/c the CDC also said 35 mil people got the flu in 18/19. so the death rate turns out to be 0.1%.

we are currently operating on only two numbers - positive tests and deaths. and panic is going to increase b/c positive test numbers will go up alot b/c we are testing more. our main concern now is that since this virus was introduced 3 months ago, we may be overrun at hospitals with a huge influx all at the same time. so we must do whatever we can to prevent that b/c that won't be good for people with or without it.

but at the macro level, we must find out how many people not only have it...but have had it. from what i read developing a test to see if you have an anti-body for it is easy and also easy to administer. we need that total number just to understand how dangerous this thing is.

we have been an unchecked country for 2+ months the virus has been around. people were travelling everywhere, congregating in huge groups, etc. my gut says tens of millions of people have it or have had it already. alot of them w/o symptoms or w/ symptoms and fought it off. my guess is that quite a few people went to doctor's offices in jan/feb and were sent home saying it was the flu w/o being tested for it - and many of them recovered.

this is all guesswork and hypothesizing on my end b/c we don't have mass testing available right now. it would be great to test a few hundred thousand new yorkers of all ages/sexes/nationalities to see how many people have/had it so we can see a real % of how many go into critical care for it. trump's administration had 2+ months to get tests ready and they didn't - that's the biggest failure here. instead of being proactive to protect the country, they were reactive b/c they didn't want to disrupt the economy.

i don't see how we can tell people to start going back to work next week w/o having a full picture of this. it's careless and reckless. my guess is they crunched the numbers and are ok with 1-2% potential deaths instead of having another great depression.

again, stay safe everyone.

smackeddog
Member: #883
3/24/2020  4:26 AM
martin wrote:Good read:

If even the UK government (which is a very right wing and dominated by free market zealots, and started off with Trumps stance of letting the virus run free to get it overweigh ASAP to minimize economic damage) is now implementing a full lockdown, then it shows how horrific the government projected mortality stats must be. That Trump is going to unleash this hell in 15 days (the only country in the world to do this madness) is beyond disturbing

Juliano
Member: #7589

3/24/2020  5:36 AM
smackeddog wrote:
If even the UK government (which is a very right wing and dominated by free market zealots, and started off with Trumps stance of letting the virus run free to get it overweigh ASAP to minimize economic damage) is now implementing a full lockdown, then it shows how horrific the government projected mortality stats must be. That Trump is going to unleash this hell in 15 days (the only country in the world to do this madness) is beyond disturbing

The Netherlands and Sweden are also going with "herd immunity", ie let the virus do its thing so that it's over quicker.

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

3/24/2020  7:03 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
Juliano wrote:We have a say in France : "to govern means to anticipate". South Korea suffered during the 2003 SRAS crisis, their government was criticized for it. They anticipated it would happen again, learnt their lessons and planned for it.

Who would have thought that having competent people in charge would make a difference? Meanwhile, over here, there is much controversy as to why the strategic ffp2 masks stock went from 1 billion in 2011 to 100K in 2019, leaving our health professionals badly exposed. 345 of them have the virus in the Paris area only, 3 doctors died in the last 24h.

The idea behind the drop in ffp2 masks stock was to spare money as it costs an estimated 100 Million euros to maintain each year (they don't last forever, apparently). Well, what's it going to cost to scramble them back, what's the lockdown gonna cost?

In 10 years you will have artificial intelligence technology that will have the ability to wipe out what we have seen here in a matter of minutes. The next wave of humanity will ultimately live longer with less disease. This is just a moment of time on this earth. Humans have done well against virus abd virus won’t stand a chance against computers

It will have to be developed because every terroist organazation on earth got the blueprint to take us down.

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
3/24/2020  7:49 AM
This Coronavirus thing is just scary, but the one positive is I am now realizing home much money I waste going out. I have survived the past week on $200 dollars and I probably would have spent five times that amount normally in a week. It is a great opportunity for people to change their spending habits and, while I did not have a drinking issue, I am sure there are alot of people being put into forced rehab through the bar closures. I guess there really is a positive aspect to even the worse tragedies.
Trust the Process
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
3/24/2020  8:00 AM
smackeddog wrote:
martin wrote:Good read:

The reality is that there are ALOT more people with the virus than the numbers show. If you stop social distancing, this virus would probably infect at least half of our population. Assuming the death rate is 1% (and most estimates make it higher), you are talking about 1 million people dying and millions with permanent lung damage in the US alone. The economy is important, but trying to stop social distancing to save the economy is not a wise idea.

Trust the Process
Juliano
Member: #7589

3/24/2020  11:43 AM
TheGame wrote:The reality is that there are ALOT more people with the virus than the numbers show. If you stop social distancing, this virus would probably infect at least half of our population. Assuming the death rate is 1% (and most estimates make it higher), you are talking about 1 million people dying and millions with permanent lung damage in the US alone. The economy is important, but trying to stop social distancing to save the economy is not a wise idea.

It's 1% for just as long as you can treat enough patients properly though, when your medical capacity is overrun then it rockets up. I've been looking at percentages for a couple of countries, they always start quite low before increasing steadily.

martin
USA
3/24/2020  11:56 AM
3 week lockdown

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/24/2020  12:09 PM
Juliano wrote:
TheGame wrote:The reality is that there are ALOT more people with the virus than the numbers show. If you stop social distancing, this virus would probably infect at least half of our population. Assuming the death rate is 1% (and most estimates make it higher), you are talking about 1 million people dying and millions with permanent lung damage in the US alone. The economy is important, but trying to stop social distancing to save the economy is not a wise idea.

It's 1% for just as long as you can treat enough patients properly though, when your medical capacity is overrun then it rockets up. I've been looking at percentages for a couple of countries, they always start quite low before increasing steadily.

The United States needs a lockdown for 30 days. No if’s ands or but’s. We should’ve done this when Japan did it 6 weeks ago. This has been a disastrous slow process and too many people not listening. Bottom line forget economy for a month— stay inside with your family and help your community if you can. Don’t hoard food or goods. Check on the elderly. We NEED a truth month of quarantine!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do t we just f do it??????

RIP Crushalot😞
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/24/2020  12:17 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
Juliano wrote:

The United States needs a lockdown for 30 days. No if’s ands or but’s. We should’ve done this when Japan did it 6 weeks ago. This has been a disastrous slow process and too many people not listening. Bottom line forget economy for a month— stay inside with your family and help your community if you can. Don’t hoard food or goods. Check on the elderly. We NEED a truth month of quarantine!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do t we just f do it??????

Your flip flopping?
Nalod told you this 10 days ago. Not my genius either. The **** president who makes sees everything as a transaction thinks its ok for people to die to save his presidency. Its not.
Leadership is lacking. He is not consistent. We’re is Fauci? Little boy 45 felt upstaged by his truth?

martin
USA
3/24/2020  12:28 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
Juliano wrote:

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

So lockdown is only a part of it. Need supplies and tests and the things that go along with testing AFTER the lockdown is done to make it long term effective. South Korean style

Our fed government has ****ed up with long term supply chain of things and halted everything that we need to do collectively.

NYS/CA and other high hot spots can't just shut down and then wait on the dip****s in FL and other places

martin
USA
3/24/2020  12:55 PM
No comment

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/24/2020  1:27 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/24/2020  1:35 PM
djsunyc wrote:hey everyone. hope you are and family are all safe and sound.

just want to chime in to the discussion.

i think we are operating blindly here - we are making too many decisions w/o having a real clear picture of how dangerous or widespread this really is.

in 18/19, the CDC said 490k people were hospitalized with the flu. of that number, 34k people died. when you see 490k and 34k, you are shook b/c those are two huge numbers...and that's with a vaccine. but the world doesn't shut down b/c the CDC also said 35 mil people got the flu in 18/19. so the death rate turns out to be 0.1%.

we are currently operating on only two numbers - positive tests and deaths. and panic is going to increase b/c positive test numbers will go up alot b/c we are testing more. our main concern now is that since this virus was introduced 3 months ago, we may be overrun at hospitals with a huge influx all at the same time. so we must do whatever we can to prevent that b/c that won't be good for people with or without it.

but at the macro level, we must find out how many people not only have it...but have had it. from what i read developing a test to see if you have an anti-body for it is easy and also easy to administer. we need that total number just to understand how dangerous this thing is.

we have been an unchecked country for 2+ months the virus has been around. people were travelling everywhere, congregating in huge groups, etc. my gut says tens of millions of people have it or have had it already. alot of them w/o symptoms or w/ symptoms and fought it off. my guess is that quite a few people went to doctor's offices in jan/feb and were sent home saying it was the flu w/o being tested for it - and many of them recovered.

this is all guesswork and hypothesizing on my end b/c we don't have mass testing available right now. it would be great to test a few hundred thousand new yorkers of all ages/sexes/nationalities to see how many people have/had it so we can see a real % of how many go into critical care for it. trump's administration had 2+ months to get tests ready and they didn't - that's the biggest failure here. instead of being proactive to protect the country, they were reactive b/c they didn't want to disrupt the economy.

i don't see how we can tell people to start going back to work next week w/o having a full picture of this. it's careless and reckless. my guess is they crunched the numbers and are ok with 1-2% potential deaths instead of having another great depression.

again, stay safe everyone.

Very articulate my brother.

I'll chime in to here just to tell my story with this virus.

My 3 year old son was sick at the end of January with a high fever off and on for 10 days. We took him in and they just said he had a virus. Said keep him home and monitor him. We did that. He was drugged up on tylenol and motrin. He got through it. Right after my 5 year old got sick for 2 days. My wife got sick for a day. I got sick off and on for a week. I was still going to work. Did we have the coronavirus? I won't know... but you say they can test for antibodies. I could put money on it that my family had this thing in January/February. Kids get sick all the time especially my kids but thus thing we had was really different. 10 day fever? It kept coming back on my little guy. My fever was just as random, but I was strong enough to manage through it.

We're all sick all the time. Nobody ever asks, "hey which virus fo I have?"... is that gonna change now? How in the world can we deal with that? I just don't know how we're ever gonna get to the end of this. In the meantime, I'm not worried about a depression. I'm worried about my neighbors trying to kill me or my family because they know I'm still working and they aren't (I work for the city). People are being told to stay homes but when the money is gone they will be looking to go into your home.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
3/24/2020  2:19 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/24/2020  2:25 PM
Checkin in, prayers out for all you and your families health!!!

My brother & sister in law will be having a baby boy today in this enivronment. Nerve recking.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
martin
USA
3/24/2020  3:58 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:Checkin in, prayers out for all you and your families health!!!

My brother & sister in law will be having a baby boy today in this enivronment. Nerve recking.

Oh man, safety and health to everyone. Let us know how it goes

OT: Coronavirus updates/info

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy