Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
10/4/2004  3:00 AM
Abdur-Rahim will report on time

Wednesday, September 29, 2004
By ANDREW SELIGMAN, Columbian staff writer

A holdout? Forget it.

Trail Blazers forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim said Tuesday that he will report to training camp next week, putting an end to one potential melodrama.

"I'll be there on time," he said.

Abdur-Rahim had promised in June to hold out if the Blazers did not trade him, writing in an e-mail: "I feel that I must take this stand."

But on Tuesday, Abdur-Rahim said he was just frustrated at the time and doesn't want to damage his reputation by staging a holdout. Camp opens Monday.

"I don't think ... that's the way I've carried myself," Abdur-Rahim said. "There's no reason for me to go that way right now. ... I've been done with it. I've come to the realization that I've just got to go play, contribute, help the team."

Abdur-Rahim, a former All-Star, struggled backing up Zach Randolph at power forward after being acquired from Atlanta with Theo Ratliff and Dan Dickau for Rasheed Wallace and Wesley Person in February. Abdur-Rahim went from averaging 20.1 points and 9.3 rebounds with the Hawks to 10.0 and 4.5 in 32 games with the Blazers. And after playing 36.9 minutes per game in Atlanta, he averaged 22.8.

Abdur-Rahim made it clear during the season that he was not happy with his reduced role, but he did not go public with his trade demand and promise to hold out until the summer.

Abdur-Rahim's name has surfaced in several trade rumors, including two involving New Jersey for Kerry Kittles, Aaron Williams and a draft pick; and, recently, for Jason Kidd.

A trade remains a possibility, but a holdout?

"I've really been off of that for a long time now," said Abdur-Rahim, who will earn $14.6 million this season before becoming an unrestricted free agent. "I was frustrated for my own reasons. It doesn't make (sense) to really elaborate on what my frustrations were. I know it doesn't help the team; it doesn't help me.

"The best thing for everybody is for me to continue doing what I do."

General manager John Nash has said he envisions a three-forward rotation, with Randolph at power forward, Darius Miles at small forward and Abdur-Rahim seeing time at both positions. Abdur-Rahim is more comfortable at power forward, but he played small forward with the Grizzlies.

"I just want to play," Abdur-Rahim said. "All that will take care of itself. I'm just preparing myself to play. I'll be in shape. I'll be ready to play. That's my responsibility. As far as all the rest of the stuff, that's up to coach (Maurice) Cheeks. Whatever he decides to do, he decides to do. Whatever he feels is best for the team is best for the team."

Abdur-Rahim worked out with teammates and coaches in Atlanta, where he lives during the offseason, and in Houston. Many Blazers attended those sessions in one city, if not both.

"I've never been a part of that, where guys traveled to a city they don't live in," said Abdur-Rahim, entering his ninth season. "Hopefully, it carries over to the season."

Nash said he notices "a better air of professionalism" surrounding the team. The fact that the Blazers finished 10th in the Western Conference and ended a streak of 21 consecutive playoff appearances might have inspired some players.

Getting back to the postseason will be difficult, with Denver adding Kenyon Martin, Utah acquiring Carlos Boozer and Mehmet Okur, Phoenix adding Steve Nash and Quentin Richardson, and Houston trading for Tracy McGrady. Even with Shaquille O'Neal going to Miami, the West remains loaded.

The Blazers' most prominent moves were trading for Nick Van Exel, re-signing Miles and drafting Sebastian Telfair. On Tuesday, they signed Ratliff to a three-year, $34.8 million extension.

"I think we're still right there," Abdur-Rahim said. "If you think about how we played at the end of the year ... we can compete with any team."

The process starts Monday, and Abdur-Rahim plans to be there.

AUTOADVERT
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
10/4/2004  6:14 AM
And dunno if you saw that, quite fun...

In their first unofficial court meeting last week as Nuggets teammates, the team's reigning macho forward and the All-Star prototype imported from New Jersey for $90 million exchanged hostilities in an ugly confrontation.

An extra on the scene informs me Nene and Kenyon Martin, on opposite sides, had been battling for turf and respect for some time - neither is a center, thus the starting four spot is up for grabs. Meaning, they weren't about to keep their hands to themselves. The usual infuriating pushin' and shovin' ensued each time either one tried to establish inside position. Suddenly Martin reverted to brutal form of a few years ago. He spun around on Nene, recounted the eyewitness, and punched the 6-11, 260-pound Brazilian, hitting him square above one eye, opening up a gash that necessitated stitches. Teammates prevented further bloodshed. Temporarily. Nene is far too bad to the bone to let Martin get away with a sucker punch.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/29615.htm
OT : Abdur-Rahim will report on time

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy