Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
10/4/2004  2:53 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/29627.htm

BAKER COULD BE KNICKS' CENTER

By MARC BERMAN

October 4, 2004 -- When Vin Baker held his charity golf tournament in August, Cablevision's James Dolan and Isiah Thomas schlepped to Hartford to attend. When the Knicks decided to re-sign Vin Baker for virtually all their $4.6 million mid-level exception, trashing their tiny hope of landing Erick Dampier, this was coming from the top.

Nobody is rooting for Baker harder than Dolan, a fellow recovering alcoholic and reason Baker did not sign with Cleveland.

"He's got a great support system here," Baker's agent Aaron Goodwin said.

The Knicks report for camp today and hold their first Charleston practice tomorrow. Baker, who had surgery to correct a rapid heartbeat in late June, is slimmer than he's been in years and Lenny Wilkens thinks he could be their starting center.

"You're going to be impressed when you see him, just in terms of his body, face," Isiah said.

Goodwin said his heart procedure will "Make a tremendous difference. He's able to circulate oxygen around his body better, you get tired quicker with that problem."

AUTOADVERT
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
10/4/2004  3:02 AM
let's wait and see. if he happened to be close to his former self, he would be invaluable to us.

good plan to sign him, low risk, great if it works.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
10/4/2004  11:52 AM
Posted by raven:

let's wait and see. if he happened to be close to his former self, he would be invaluable to us.

good plan to sign him, low risk, great if it works.
That's my view. I think he was a good plan B once we couldn't get Dampier.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
10/4/2004  3:02 PM
They signed Baker before Damps was off the market! Damps was willing to play here for the MLE! This is going to go down as the worst decision in Zeke's run (other than handling of Shan and Don). But it's not really Zeke's fault as much as it's Dolan for liking Vin for being a former alcoholic. The team is fine and will still win the division, but they could have been special and Dolan screwed up again. What an idiot.

¿ △ ?
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
10/4/2004  3:13 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

They signed Baker before Damps was off the market! Damps was willing to play here for the MLE! This is going to go down as the worst decision in Zeke's run (other than handling of Shan and Don). But it's not really Zeke's fault as much as it's Dolan for liking Vin for being a former alcoholic. The team is fine and will still win the division, but they could have been special and Dolan screwed up again. What an idiot.

I don't think that's true at all. What makes you still think that, particularly in light of the fact that he went to a better team for a huge pay day?
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
10/4/2004  3:40 PM
Damps was never intending to play here for the MLE, or else he would have signed a long time ago...he went to DAL to have a better shot at a title & make double what he would be making had he signed w/the Knicks...i have no idea what makes anyone think we ever had a realistic shot at signing him for the MLE...a sign & trade was the only way we were ever going to get him, & Mullin wasn't interested in anything the Knicks had to offer.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
10/4/2004  3:54 PM
Damps was willing to come here. Isiah said he couldn't give him the MLE but was trying to trade for him. After all that went down he went to Dallas. It wasn't his choice to go to Dallas. Dallas first presented the lucrative trade offer to Mullin who accepted then Damps had to be convinced, which he did for the money and because the Knicks had no realistic way of getting him.

That's all pretty much indisputiable. Whatever, I'm happy with the team. But sometimes I think how good they could've been otherwise and I get the bitters.
¿ △ ?
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
10/4/2004  4:17 PM
no one's debating whether or not he was willing to come here...the fact that he didn't sign for the MLE is what i'm talking about...obviously he was holding out for more, & the Knicks didn't have what Mullin wanted in any sign & trades...so any chance we ever had of getting him was very slim to begin with, & as soon as that Crawford deal was made that we gave up all our expiring contracts, it pretty much erased any chance at all that we had of acquiring him.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/4/2004  5:10 PM
Vin is the starting center.

2004-5 comeback player of the year!
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
10/4/2004  8:56 PM
Damps got a 73 mil contract in Dallas. I don't buy for one minute that he would have taken a 50% paycut to play here for the MLE. Also, the day after Dampier went to Dallas was the day that Baker was signed with most of the MLE. The timing is just too much of a coincidence. It looks to me like Isiah was doing everything he could to save the MLE for Dampier, with Baker being plan B.
WOODMANnYk
Member: #529
USA
10/5/2004  7:33 AM
I really believe Nazr will start but Baker will log majority of the minutes @ center especially during the 4th quarter.

I don't really buy into the NY Post. They tend to create false information more than any NY newspaper.

The Future. GO KNICKS!
toodarkmark
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #515
USA
10/5/2004  4:23 PM
Posted by WOODMANnYk:

I really believe Nazr will start but Baker will log majority of the minutes @ center especially during the 4th quarter.

I don't really buy into the NY Post. They tend to create false information more than any NY newspaper.

Agreed. The NY Post is the worst rag in the city. Weekly World News has more credibility in my book. I do think Vin might play very well this year, and I feel he played well down the stretch last year. If he gives us good defense, 7 points, 7 rebounds a game I wont complain.
I don't care what people think. People are stupid. - Charles Barkley
NY Post: Baker Could be Knicks' Center

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy