Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
10/3/2004  8:32 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/29619.htm

IN-DEPTH COVERAGE

By MARC BERMAN
--------------------------------------------------------------------
October 3, 2004 -- Inside the Pistons champagne-soaked dressing room last June, Detroit president Joe Dumars predicted other GMs might copycat the new champion's formula. Dumars opined, after beating the Shaq-Kobe Lakers, that the star system was out and role players and depth to the 10th man was in.
Meet the 2004-005 Knicks, run by Dumars' former backcourt mate, Isiah Thomas. Only point guard Stephon Marbury is considered a legit All-Star. But what the Knicks have over most Eastern Conference clubs is a staggering amount of depth, up front and in the backcourt.

They have a three-guard rotation as explosive as any in the NBA: Marbury, Jamal Crawford and Allan Houston, if his knees hold up, as Thomas expects. They have a solid if sometimes inconsistent small forward, Tim Thomas.

And though they don't have a dominant big man, the Knicks can throw out five dependable bigs who won't embarrass. That frontcourt depth could take the sting out of Shaquille O'Neal if Miami and the Knicks renew their rivalry in the playoffs.

"Had we got a guy like [Erick] Dampier, it would've helped us tremendously," Isiah Thomas said. "That's not to say the guys we do have can't help us. There are also teams in this league not playing with true centers and one of them won the NBA championship last year. Their really is no answer to Shaq, if you're trying to build your team [that way]."

The Knicks aren't the Pistons, but they're not a club who won't worry about squeezing into the playoffs as a seventh seed, either.

Either Nazr Mohammed or Vin Baker will start at center. Kurt Thomas, Michael Sweetney and Jerome Williams juggle power-forward duty. It's a bunch of lunchpail types a season after a lunchpail champion.

Lenny Wilkens, asked about not having a top-notch center, said, "It's something we have to deal with. I'm not overly concerned with it because we have improved in other areas. We're going to be able to put the ball in the basket. Certainly you have to defend Shaq, but it's always team defense."

In fact, neither the Nets, Celtics, Sixers nor Raptors in the revamped Atlantic boasts a dominant center, even if Boston's Raef LaFrentz is healthy.

"I don't think Vin can carry a team, but the way our team is built, it's a team that needs each other to win," Isiah Thomas said.

Added Wilkens, "I think we have as good a chance as anybody [to win the Atlantic]."

CAMP OPENS

Tuesday, Charleston, S.C.

NEW BLOOD

Jamal Crawford: 6-5 combo guard who can spell Stephon Marbury at point to keep him fresher late, and can carry scoring load if Allan Houston isn't up to heavy minutes.

Jamison Brewer: Energetic defender at point.

Bruno Sundov: Jump-shooting center who may not make active roster.

Trevor Ariza: Isiah Thomas' first Knicks draft pick, exceeding expectations as slashing swingman.

ON THE RISE

Michael Sweetney: With 20 to 25 minutes a night, a threat to post a double-double.

Vin Baker: Slimmer, and corrected rapid heartbeat problem could bring him back to old form.

Stephon Marbury: Not shaken by Olympic disappointment, on verge of becoming team leader.

ON THE DECLINE

Allan Houston: Now 33, his knees are 63.

Kurt Thomas: True warrior, but with contract extension has uncertain future here.

Nazr Mohammed: Has a lot to prove as a defensive, shot-blocking force.

Shandon Anderson: Not in the picture since last season ended.

CAMP OBJECTIVE

Lenny Wilkens badly wanted a training camp after joining in midstream last January amidst furious roster turnover. Called last season "The Twilight Zone" and is convinced the Knicks will function more efficiently with a camp, becoming better team defenders and a better transition club.

"I've worked on our playbook all summer," Wilkens said. "I don't know if we had a style last year. Certainly we want to be more up-tempo."

PRESEASON SCHEDULE

Oct. 14: Nets

Oct. 16: Spurs

Oct. 19: at Jazz

Oct. 21: at Mavericks

Oct. 22: at T'wolves

Oct. 24: Mavericks

Oct. 26: at Nets

Oct. 28: Jazz

OPENING NIGHT

Nov. 3: at T'wolves

Just curious as to how the consider Nazr on the decline.
AUTOADVERT
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
10/3/2004  8:57 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/238040p-204257c.html

Changing of the Garden

2004-05 Training Camp Preview

By FRANK ISOLA

If Isiah Thomas stood any closer to the Knicks bench he'd be the coach. Maybe that is precisely his point.
The Knicks president is the NBA's most visible team executive and the most viable coaching candidate in his own organization. That's not to suggest that Lenny Wilkens is in danger of being removed from his post any time soon.

But for argument's sake, what happens the first time the Knicks suffer a four-game losing streak? What would be the potential fallout if their record is below .500 in late December or if Jamal Crawford, Thomas' biggest free agent signing, is unhappy?

There are executives around the league and even some current Knicks who are convinced that Thomas will eventually take a few giant steps forward from his courtside spot at Madison Square Garden and jump to the sidelines.

To them, it's not a question of if, but when.

"Coaching?" Thomas says. "If there ever was a change it wouldn't be me. I don't believe that coaching will be part of my career here."

Thomas has remained steadfast in his support for Wilkens, whom he hired to replace Don Chaney last January. And for months, Thomas has dismissed the notion of assuming the dual role of president and head coach. However, last week Thomas, for the first time, did leave open the possibility that he could become Knicks coach one day.

"Leave it at a one percent chance," he said.

When told that his long-time adversary Michael Jordan once said he was 99.9 percent sure he would stay retired only to play again for the Wizards, Thomas laughed and said, "My one percent is more firm than his 99.9 percent."

With training camp set to open Tuesday in Charleston, S.C., there is no denying that the Knicks are Thomas' team. His fingerprints are all over the organization - from the acquisition of Stephon Marbury to the imposition of a dress code for the basketball staff.

Since assuming control of the team from Scott Layden in December, Thomas has revamped the front office, coaching staff and roster. And he is far from finished. The Knicks likely will buy out Shandon Anderson's contract and attempt to trade Kurt Thomas.

If those two moves are completed, that leaves Allan Houston and second-year power forward Michael Sweetney as the only players left over from the previous regime.

"I want the Garden to be hot again, with steam coming off the building," Thomas said. "I want it to be a hot ticket again. This team is very interesting. We've got a chance to be pretty good."

Winning the Atlantic Division and earning at least a No. 3 seed in the playoffs is a distinct possibility with Miami moving to the newly formed Southeast Division and the Nets dismantling their team.

The Knicks finished 39-43 last season and haven't won a playoff series since 2000. The current group is hardly championship-caliber, but advancing to the second round is a realistic goal.

Houston's health remains the most troubling issue facing the Knicks in the preseason. He missed 32 games last season with recurring knee pain and there is a possibility he will not be ready for the season opener Nov. 3 against Minnesota.

"Allan Houston in my mind is not as big a question mark as it is in your mind," Thomas said. "Whatever cautious approach we take with him is coming from me."

The addition of Crawford gives the Knicks much-needed insurance for Houston. Crawford can play either guard position but scouts question whether he will ever be a good defender or a consistent outside shooter.

There are more questions along the front line. Kurt Thomas, if he stays, gives the Knicks experience and low-post defense. Tim Thomas will be used at both forward positions and Sweetney has a chance to be a solid player. The Knicks remain weak at center, where Nazr Mohammed and Vin Baker will battle for the starting job.

Isiah Thomas came close to adding free agent Erick Dampier, who would have been one of the top centers in the East. Dampier, though, ended up in Dallas while Thomas continues searching for an upgrade at the position.

"He would have helped us tremendously, but that's not to say the guys we have can't help us," Thomas said. "A lot of teams are not playing with true centers and one of them (Detroit) won the NBA championship."

Things to watch

Allan Houston's aching knees: Houston is not expected to play in any of the eight exhibition games as the Knicks try to get him ready for the regular season.

Goodbye to Kurt Thomas: The Knicks are looking to move their veteran forward. Minnesota's Wally Szczerbiak is a possibility.

The Sweet smell of success: Second-year forward Michael Sweetney could emerge as the starting power forward.

Originally published on October 2, 2004
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
10/3/2004  9:41 AM
Yea I really don't see how they put Nazr on the decline when he has clearly been improving as a Knick, but w/e. I do agree that Baker could be a force this season. He isn't going to be the all-star PF he once was, but he is still capable of being a very nice low-post threat for us. This is going to be an exciting season, so many storylines going on. Will Sweetney develop into the beast we want him to be? Will Crawford, Houston, and Marbury form the best three-guard rotation in the league? Will Nazr show that he is capable of being a good starting C in the league? Will Stephon be influenced by what happened in the Olympics this past summer? Will Tim become the good consistent SF he can be? With that said, I really cannot wait until preseason starts so we can get a look at this team
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
Mac
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #470
Japan
10/3/2004  9:13 PM
Thanks for the articles... There's such a contrast between the them.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
10/3/2004  11:13 PM
Allan Houston's aching knees: Houston is not expected to play in any of the eight exhibition games as the Knicks try to get him ready for the regular season.
So, he's probably going to miss the pre-season? And Crawford will start at SG, I assume, during the pre-season. He might earn the starting job if he has a strong pre-season
In-Depth Coverage-Article

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy