[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Yes it’s early but here’s the 2020 NBA draft thread.
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/5/2020  10:34 AM
my fav at this point is Onyeka Okongwu. Guy looks like a shot blocking Siakam and plays winning ball. 2 ways guy
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
3/5/2020  10:51 AM
fishmike wrote:my fav at this point is Onyeka Okongwu. Guy looks like a shot blocking Siakam and plays winning ball. 2 ways guy

He's definitely intriguing me, but I wonder what sort of message that would send to Mitch- could they play alongside each other?

8. Onyeka Okongwu, C, USC | Freshman

Height: 6’8” | Weight: 235 | Age: 19 | Last Rank: 14

There’s some variance of opinion around the NBA surrounding Okongwu’s upside, but also a lot of value being widely assigned to his perceived floor, which has placed him squarely in the lottery conversation. He offers legit rim protection and productive interior play, while also being athletic enough to stay on the floor and offer real defensive backbone against small-ball lineups. In that regard, his lack of ideal height is much less of a detractor, although he’ll inevitably lose some of his physical advantage in the pros. Okongwu isn’t particularly skilled, nor has he demonstrated a ton of upside offensively, but there’s a school of thought that he’ll eventually be able to shoot, and he’s been dominant within eight feet of the basket, to the point where he’s made a pretty bad USC team nationally relevant. It’s worth reiterating that there’s just not a ton of demand for centers around the NBA right now, as evidenced by the trade deadline. But Okongwu should be able to help a team out of the gate, and will be of interest to lottery teams looking to engineer a turnaround next season.

I'm also intrigued by Okoro- like Okongwu he's a great defensive player who can't really shoot at the moment, but like you said Siakam shows what can happen if you can successfully develop a defensive player in a good offensive one.

5. Isaac Okoro, SF, Auburn | Freshman

Height: 6’6” | Weight: 225 | Age: 19 | Last Rank: 13

Okoro emerged in a major way this season and has taken a significant jump in these rankings as a result, although it’s worth noting the level of enthusiasm here is far from unanimous. General NBA consensus has him pegged as the top wing prospect in the draft, but there’s still some hesitance surrounding whether he’s really a top-five caliber prospect, given the fact he doesn’t generate a whole lot of offense on a consistent basis. He’s got a great frame, but lacks the traditional sort of height and length on the wing befitting of an elite prospect. Still, his direct impact on winning games has been inarguable, and having just turned 19, there’s room for optimism that Okoro can evolve into more than just a rock-solid role player. His overall feel for the game is strong, his nose for making plays on defense is pretty special, and his jumper is at least far enough along that teams feel like he can work into an average shooter in time. In a better draft, he wouldn’t sit this high, but the palpable room for optimism and solid floor helps prop him up.

https://www.si.com/nba/2020/03/03/nba-draft-big-board-anthony-edwards-lamelo-ball-james-wiseman

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/5/2020  11:28 AM
smackeddog wrote:
fishmike wrote:my fav at this point is Onyeka Okongwu. Guy looks like a shot blocking Siakam and plays winning ball. 2 ways guy

He's definitely intriguing me, but I wonder what sort of message that would send to Mitch- could they play alongside each other?

There’s some variance of opinion around the NBA surrounding Okongwu’s upside, but also a lot of value being widely assigned to his perceived floor, which has placed him squarely in the lottery conversation. He offers legit rim protection and productive interior play, while also being athletic enough to stay on the floor and offer real defensive backbone against small-ball lineups. In that regard, his lack of ideal height is much less of a detractor, although he’ll inevitably lose some of his physical advantage in the pros. Okongwu isn’t particularly skilled, nor has he demonstrated a ton of upside offensively, but there’s a school of thought that he’ll eventually be able to shoot, and he’s been dominant within eight feet of the basket, to the point where he’s made a pretty bad USC team nationally relevant. It’s worth reiterating that there’s just not a ton of demand for centers around the NBA right now, as evidenced by the trade deadline. But Okongwu should be able to help a team out of the gate, and will be of interest to lottery teams looking to engineer a turnaround next season.

I'm also intrigued by Okoro- like Okongwu he's a great defensive player who can't really shoot at the moment, but like you said Siakam shows what can happen if you can successfully develop a defensive player in a good offensive one.

Okoro emerged in a major way this season and has taken a significant jump in these rankings as a result, although it’s worth noting the level of enthusiasm here is far from unanimous. General NBA consensus has him pegged as the top wing prospect in the draft, but there’s still some hesitance surrounding whether he’s really a top-five caliber prospect, given the fact he doesn’t generate a whole lot of offense on a consistent basis. He’s got a great frame, but lacks the traditional sort of height and length on the wing befitting of an elite prospect. Still, his direct impact on winning games has been inarguable, and having just turned 19, there’s room for optimism that Okoro can evolve into more than just a rock-solid role player. His overall feel for the game is strong, his nose for making plays on defense is pretty special, and his jumper is at least far enough along that teams feel like he can work into an average shooter in time. In a better draft, he wouldn’t sit this high, but the palpable room for optimism and solid floor helps prop him up.

https://www.si.com/nba/2020/03/03/nba-draft-big-board-anthony-edwards-lamelo-ball-james-wiseman

Interesting take from this article:

Unfortunately, said talent level has not endeared itself especially to teams, and the generally agreed-upon feeling continues to be that this draft class is the weakest since 2013, when Anthony Bennett became the No. 1 choice after an injury tanked Nerlens Noel’s draft stock—a sentence that essentially says everything. Players like Victor Oladipo, C.J. McCollum, Steven Adams, and of course, Giannis Antetokounmpo eventually emerged from that draft class. Surprise players always do.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Sangfroid
Member: #2784

3/5/2020  11:36 AM
Uptown wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Wow, this player is quick!

Very quick!!! It almost looks too easy for him. He reminds me of Fox when he was at Kentucky...

Major difference between him and Fox is that major league jump shot.

"We are playing a game. We are playing at not playing a game..."
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
3/5/2020  11:40 AM
Provably a pipe dream, but I would love to be able to trade the pick or maybe other assets for Isaac to pair next to Mitch. 1.6 stls 2.4blks once his 3pts shooting starts reaching around 36% he is gonna be that rare 3&D forward in the Marion mold. Having that next to Mitch would make a suffocating defensive front line.

Add in a fa like Grant who holds a 7’3 wingspan & can also knock down 3s. And retain Harkless who also holds a 7ft wingspan.....

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
fishmike
USA
3/5/2020  11:44 AM
martin wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Unfortunately, said talent level has not endeared itself especially to teams, and the generally agreed-upon feeling continues to be that this draft class is the weakest since 2013, when Anthony Bennett became the No. 1 choice after an injury tanked Nerlens Noel’s draft stock—a sentence that essentially says everything. Players like Victor Oladipo, C.J. McCollum, Steven Adams, and of course, Giannis Antetokounmpo eventually emerged from that draft class. Surprise players always do.
I dont buy the non shooting at all. It sounds like thats his current role, but if you look at his HS vids from a year ago he shows a pretty nice stroke. Certainly enough to be a floor spreader... but all these guys have warts. Im for taking BPA with most upside and best work ethic. I want a hungry athlete who loves the gym and the game and plays with intensity and plays to win. Get these guys in for workouts. There can be no primadonnas. RJ is perfect example of the mentality we want
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

3/5/2020  2:28 PM
Sangfroid wrote:
Uptown wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Wow, this player is quick!

Very quick!!! It almost looks too easy for him. He reminds me of Fox when he was at Kentucky...

Major difference between him and Fox is that major league jump shot.

Lewis is a better shooter than Fox was at Kentucky. Actually, the jumper was Fox's main weakness entering the draft.

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

3/5/2020  2:36 PM
fishmike wrote:
martin wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

I dont buy the non shooting at all. It sounds like thats his current role, but if you look at his HS vids from a year ago he shows a pretty nice stroke. Certainly enough to be a floor spreader... but all these guys have warts. Im for taking BPA with most upside and best work ethic. I want a hungry athlete who loves the gym and the game and plays with intensity and plays to win. Get these guys in for workouts. There can be no primadonnas. RJ is perfect example of the mentality we want

Okoru is an athletic beast. High motor, high energy player who can be a lock-down defender. Very strong as well. Not concerned too much about his jumper, but he does need to improve his handle if he's going to go to the next level.

fishmike
USA
3/5/2020  3:41 PM
Uptown wrote:
fishmike wrote:
martin wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Okoru is an athletic beast. High motor, high energy player who can be a lock-down defender. Very strong as well. Not concerned too much about his jumper, but he does need to improve his handle if he's going to go to the next level.

He'll be fine. CP3 will be setting him up
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

3/6/2020  12:39 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
smackeddog wrote:I think the Twolves will target Tyrese Haliburton, would be a nice fit next to D-lo. His tankathon sheet is ridiculous (compare it to all the other pg options)

http://www.tankathon.com/players/tyrese-haliburton

Think Wolves will take a PF. Either Tobin or Okongwu. To me Haliburton is stiff and does not show any ability to be able to separate at the NBA level. Feel this years draft is looking like Lamelo, Wiseman, and Edwards are the only true lottery picks. Unfortunately for us, they will be going top 3.

Not a fan of Cole Anthony, Hayes, Hampton in terms of PG's. Cole does not have the size or NBA quickness.
Like Okongwu but do not think he will fall to us at 5 or 6. Like Okangu's motor and strength. Good back up for Randle and can be a piece to build on. But again, think he will be gone.

Feel it may be a good year to trade down or use pick as an asset to get a solid young NBA player.
If we trade down, like the kid from Nova, Bey. Has an NBA body and can shoot. May not be a bad idea to think about another SF in case Knox does not pan out. Like Maledon as a low 1st round PG pick. Has upside, 19 and athletic.

With GS having Curry back, maybe, we can think about Lamelo or Edwards? Still would not mind trading down and picking up two for one.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

3/6/2020  1:36 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
smackeddog wrote:I think the Twolves will target Tyrese Haliburton, would be a nice fit next to D-lo. His tankathon sheet is ridiculous (compare it to all the other pg options)

Think Wolves will take a PF. Either Tobin or Okongwu. To me Haliburton is stiff and does not show any ability to be able to separate at the NBA level. Feel this years draft is looking like Lamelo, Wiseman, and Edwards are the only true lottery picks. Unfortunately for us, they will be going top 3.

Not a fan of Cole Anthony, Hayes, Hampton in terms of PG's. Cole does not have the size or NBA quickness.
Like Okongwu but do not think he will fall to us at 5 or 6. Like Okangu's motor and strength. Good back up for Randle and can be a piece to build on. But again, think he will be gone.

Feel it may be a good year to trade down or use pick as an asset to get a solid young NBA player.
If we trade down, like the kid from Nova, Bey. Has an NBA body and can shoot. May not be a bad idea to think about another SF in case Knox does not pan out. Like Maledon as a low 1st round PG pick. Has upside, 19 and athletic.

With GS having Curry back, maybe, we can think about Lamelo or Edwards? Still would not mind trading down and picking up two for one.

GSW has shown they're willing to take the best talent regardless of position. Just look at their D'Angelo Russell strategy. I can see them scooping up either player and seeing how it works out.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
smackeddog
3/6/2020  2:35 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/7/2020  11:38 AM
Martin and fishmike are zeroing in on this guy:

Him and Kira Lewis with the clips pick would be sweet

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

3/6/2020  2:53 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

GSW has shown they're willing to take the best talent regardless of position. Just look at their D'Angelo Russell strategy. I can see them scooping up either player and seeing how it works out.

Was referring to the fact they will get more wins with Curry back in the line up. Which will propel us to pass them for a higher pick. Lotto balls cooperating that is.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/8/2020  1:59 PM
Obi Toppin #1pick
Wiseman #2
RIP Crushalot😞
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/8/2020  2:13 PM
BRIGGS wrote:Obi Toppin #1pick
Wiseman #2

The only thing I know about Toppin is that he can dunk spectacularly in transition, and thats a cool name. Like a musician. Im guessing there is more to his game than dunking to be a potential number one pick. Will have to check out some clips

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/8/2020  4:16 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
Wiseman #2

The only thing I know about Toppin is that he can dunk spectacularly in transition, and thats a cool name. Like a musician. Im guessing there is more to his game than dunking to be a potential number one pick. Will have to check out some clips

Toppin has played for a great team. He’s something of an al Horford that slants to F with more athleticsm. I still think Wiseman is one of a kind and wouod also pick him number 1 if we see incredible workouts. He’s the only guy 7-1 265

RIP Crushalot😞
smackeddog
3/8/2020  4:55 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
Wiseman #2

Some folks on the realgm board were saying he’s basically Amar’e Stoudemire reincarnated

TPercy
Member: #5748

3/8/2020  5:48 PM
Bar Obi Toppin, litterally every prospect stunk this weekend. Anthony, Hayes, Edwards, Maxey...All ****.
The Future is Bright!
TPercy
Member: #5748

3/8/2020  5:49 PM
smackeddog wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Wiseman #2

Some folks on the realgm board were saying he’s basically Amar’e Stoudemire reincarnated

Yeah his defense is horrible.

The Future is Bright!
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/8/2020  5:50 PM
smackeddog wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Wiseman #2

Haven’t seen him play at al, does he have Amare athleticism?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Yes it’s early but here’s the 2020 NBA draft thread.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy