[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Yes it’s early but here’s the 2020 NBA draft thread.
Author Thread
TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

2/28/2020  9:25 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
smackeddog wrote:How does Haliburton compare to SGA? Does anybody know enough about both players to make a comparison?

From wait I’ve read, they’re both the same height (6.5f), weight (180lb), we’re both efficient in college (48fg vs 50fg, both shot around 40% from 3), averaged roughly same amount of points (15), FTs (82%), assists (5 vs 6.5). From what I can gather, neith are super quick or can blow by people.

This is what he looks like after 2 seasons:

Shai didn't shoot a lot of threes in college, but he was much more creative in the paint. I think they're going to have opposite concerns going into the draft.

Yup. Shai took more than double his FTAs
The Future is Bright!
AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
2/28/2020  10:42 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/28/2020  10:50 AM
Wasserman has updated his board, here are the PGs:

1) LaMelo Ball

Moved to No. 1 in November before he shut it down in the NBL, LaMelo Ball remains atop the board entering March.

It says something about a class that lacks obvious stars. And there may be some hiding in plain sight, but with Ball, there is a greater sense of certainty—plus a path to stardom—tied to his 6'7" size and undeniable ball-handling and passing skills.

His playmaking overseas seems like a lock to carry over. The point guard averaged 6.8 assists per game on a weak roster in Australia, consistently proving to be the Illawarra Hawks' best option for creating offense. His sure-thing setup ability props up his NBA floor.

Even if his shot never develops the way most are hoping, Ball can still make the game easier for teammates. But taking him No. 1 means buying that his scoring package will improve. I've seen enough perimeter shot-making (1.7 3PTM), special floater touch and coordinated finishing at the rim for the 18-year-old to go No. 1.

4) Killian Hayes

Killian Hayes hasn’t played in two weeks, but he made a big jump up my board from December 18 to February 14, a span in which he averaged 14.6 points and 4.9 assists through 10 games between Eurocup and German BBL.

Improved scoring skills continue to calm the worries tied to his lack of explosiveness. He’s shooting 49.2 percent from the floor, converting his drives and floaters while making enough jumpers. His footwork for creating separation off the dribble, whether it's into runners, pull-ups or step-backs, has quickly become advanced.

Hayes' decision-making with the ball still needs work, but his passing and vision are really strong, particularly when he’s operating out of pick-and-rolls. His coach next year will wind up valuing his facilitating over his scoring early in his career. He whips crosscourt one-handers to shooters and touch entries and lobs to bigs in the paint.

The athletic limitations and low-volume three-pointers (30 makes, 31 games) are the drawbacks that make scouts question his NBA upside. But for a 6'5", 18-year-old point guard, there is a lot to bet on with Hayes, between his playmaking, efficient finishing, budding perimeter game, 88.6 free-throw percentage and solid production in Eurocup and German BBL.

6) Cole Anthony

High school standouts worried about what going to college could do to their draft stocks may point to Cole Anthony at North Carolina. He's shooting 37.3 percent and carrying a monster workload for a team that's tied for No. 339 out of 353 schools in three-point percentage.

Scouts have to decide how much stock to put into Anthony's inefficiency versus the difficult situation he's in—surrounded by weak offensive players. He's managing 19.4 points per game even though every opposing defense knows it only has to stop one player. Still, without the spacing, he's generating 1.09 PPP out of isolation, showing the ability to create and shake free for pull-ups and drives.

He's struggling badly with finishing around the basket (38.1 percent), and some of that's on him for mistiming his layups or using poor touch. But Anthony has also been forced to drive into heavy paint traffic that won't be there on a more open NBA floor.

The bigger question when evaluating him surrounds his 3.8 assists and 3.6 turnovers per game and asks whether he's more of just a scorer than a point guard and lead decision-maker.

11) Tyrese Haliburton

A broken wrist knocked Haliburton out for the season Feb. 8, but his special passing IQ for a 6'5" guard creates a level of certainty. I've used the Lonzo Ball comparison all season to highlight his strengths as well as his limitations as a scorer and athlete. Scouts will hope he's recovered for workouts to get a closer look at his unorthodox jump shot. Haliburton's 2020 draft-stock boost is tied to his 2.4 threes per game on 41.9 percent shooting. But with his slow, push release, there are questions about how well he'll shoot off the dribble. He'll finish at Iowa State having shot just 16-of-57 on half-court pull-ups.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2877737-2020-nba-draft-updated-big-board-entering-march#slide5

If you're curious about how much you can trust his judgement, here is his big board from last years draft:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2840355-2019-nba-draft-big-board-brs-official-top-50-prospects#slide13

smackeddog
2/28/2020  2:54 PM
Sixers have made blunder after blunder- not only not drafting Tatum, but also giving up a future 1st to take Fultz, then giving up Landry Shamet and picks for Tobias Harris than massively overpaying him, massively overpaying Horford who can’t play with Embiid, etc etc, they’ve blown it.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/28/2020  5:42 PM
smackeddog wrote:Wasserman has updated his board, here are the PGs:

1) LaMelo Ball

Moved to No. 1 in November before he shut it down in the NBL, LaMelo Ball remains atop the board entering March.

It says something about a class that lacks obvious stars. And there may be some hiding in plain sight, but with Ball, there is a greater sense of certainty—plus a path to stardom—tied to his 6'7" size and undeniable ball-handling and passing skills.

His playmaking overseas seems like a lock to carry over. The point guard averaged 6.8 assists per game on a weak roster in Australia, consistently proving to be the Illawarra Hawks' best option for creating offense. His sure-thing setup ability props up his NBA floor.

Even if his shot never develops the way most are hoping, Ball can still make the game easier for teammates. But taking him No. 1 means buying that his scoring package will improve. I've seen enough perimeter shot-making (1.7 3PTM), special floater touch and coordinated finishing at the rim for the 18-year-old to go No. 1.

4) Killian Hayes

Killian Hayes hasn’t played in two weeks, but he made a big jump up my board from December 18 to February 14, a span in which he averaged 14.6 points and 4.9 assists through 10 games between Eurocup and German BBL.

Improved scoring skills continue to calm the worries tied to his lack of explosiveness. He’s shooting 49.2 percent from the floor, converting his drives and floaters while making enough jumpers. His footwork for creating separation off the dribble, whether it's into runners, pull-ups or step-backs, has quickly become advanced.

Hayes' decision-making with the ball still needs work, but his passing and vision are really strong, particularly when he’s operating out of pick-and-rolls. His coach next year will wind up valuing his facilitating over his scoring early in his career. He whips crosscourt one-handers to shooters and touch entries and lobs to bigs in the paint.

The athletic limitations and low-volume three-pointers (30 makes, 31 games) are the drawbacks that make scouts question his NBA upside. But for a 6'5", 18-year-old point guard, there is a lot to bet on with Hayes, between his playmaking, efficient finishing, budding perimeter game, 88.6 free-throw percentage and solid production in Eurocup and German BBL.

6) Cole Anthony

High school standouts worried about what going to college could do to their draft stocks may point to Cole Anthony at North Carolina. He's shooting 37.3 percent and carrying a monster workload for a team that's tied for No. 339 out of 353 schools in three-point percentage.

Scouts have to decide how much stock to put into Anthony's inefficiency versus the difficult situation he's in—surrounded by weak offensive players. He's managing 19.4 points per game even though every opposing defense knows it only has to stop one player. Still, without the spacing, he's generating 1.09 PPP out of isolation, showing the ability to create and shake free for pull-ups and drives.

He's struggling badly with finishing around the basket (38.1 percent), and some of that's on him for mistiming his layups or using poor touch. But Anthony has also been forced to drive into heavy paint traffic that won't be there on a more open NBA floor.

The bigger question when evaluating him surrounds his 3.8 assists and 3.6 turnovers per game and asks whether he's more of just a scorer than a point guard and lead decision-maker.

11) Tyrese Haliburton

A broken wrist knocked Haliburton out for the season Feb. 8, but his special passing IQ for a 6'5" guard creates a level of certainty. I've used the Lonzo Ball comparison all season to highlight his strengths as well as his limitations as a scorer and athlete. Scouts will hope he's recovered for workouts to get a closer look at his unorthodox jump shot. Haliburton's 2020 draft-stock boost is tied to his 2.4 threes per game on 41.9 percent shooting. But with his slow, push release, there are questions about how well he'll shoot off the dribble. He'll finish at Iowa State having shot just 16-of-57 on half-court pull-ups.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2877737-2020-nba-draft-updated-big-board-entering-march#slide5

If you're curious about how much you can trust his judgement, here is his big board from last years draft:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2840355-2019-nba-draft-big-board-brs-official-top-50-prospects#slide13

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

2/28/2020  7:16 PM
martin wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Wasserman has updated his board, here are the PGs:

1) LaMelo Ball

4) Killian Hayes

6) Cole Anthony

11) Tyrese Haliburton

Good vid. Wiseman is like Knox in that he has the tools, but needs time to learn how to utilize them. I will say it's only one game, but the shot selection critique is dead on.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/29/2020  9:19 AM
Steph is back for the Warriors. Can he help them enough to catch the Knicks?
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
dodger78
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #250
Germany
3/1/2020  7:24 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
dodger78 wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Nice summary of our PG options:

https://theknickswall.com/the-knicks-wall-2020-draft-board-first-edition-killian-hayes-lamelo-ball/

Being here in Germany Ive watched Kilian Hayes a lot this year and I really like a lot of things in his game...
- at an early age he shows great composure at the PG spot ... rarely ever gets pushed out of his game by opponents pressure due to good ball handling ability and his calm demeanor. He has basically been handed over the key of the team to run the offense in Ulm from day one - the minutes hes playing are significant for German league standards at his age and being a rookie to the league.
- he definately is a PG ... even though he does shoot quite a bit from 3 and is doing good moving off the ball aswell ... he definately is a PG who tries to initiate an offense and make the right pass
- he is good at getting to the basket... even though he is not the quickest his game is shifty and slick and he uses some nice stop and go moves and fakes to get to the basket ... he also is quite skilled finishing with his left or dropping it of to the cutter

He does remind me of a "poor mans" D-Lo in these aspect ... a lot less flashy though but solid.

Now do I want him on the Knicks (especially for a lottery pick - which some team will probably give to him)... nope... because...
- his athleticism is sub-par... even putting Ja Morant close to his name is... well just wrong. I think he will struggle a lot on the NBA level on offense and defence due to this... its lack of speed and ups
- he is still very turnover prone... which is often times based on his decission making... this will "go away with time and experience" but I am just not willing to wait watching a high-risk PG throwing away passes to the opponent for 2-3 years...
There was a sequence with a minute on the clock where Ulm was behind 2-3 points and he had two horrible TOs in the last two possesions basically killing the game for his team single handeldy. I know its a learning process for young PGs but I just dont see it on the Knicks.
- no star-potential ... to be honest Hayes is a baller who has been competing against grown man and held his own already - the German leauge really is not that bad at all - but I just do not see him grow into a special NBA player or even a starter!

The Knickswall said he shot 32% from three and Basketball-Reference has him at 39%. Would you describe his shot as pure or streaky? I agree with your assessment of his speed and athleticism, but I thought similar things about Luka in Europe. Sometimes it's hard to see how well that change of pace game will transfer to the NBA.

I think he definately can become a solid 3 point shooter but dont see his offense to rely on it. Question really is... will opponents have to respect his shot from NBA 3 and further... which would of course open up the game a little for him... BIG question for me.

BigDaddyG

3/1/2020  2:41 PM
dodger78 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
dodger78 wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Nice summary of our PG options:

https://theknickswall.com/the-knicks-wall-2020-draft-board-first-edition-killian-hayes-lamelo-ball/

Being here in Germany Ive watched Kilian Hayes a lot this year and I really like a lot of things in his game...
- at an early age he shows great composure at the PG spot ... rarely ever gets pushed out of his game by opponents pressure due to good ball handling ability and his calm demeanor. He has basically been handed over the key of the team to run the offense in Ulm from day one - the minutes hes playing are significant for German league standards at his age and being a rookie to the league.
- he definately is a PG ... even though he does shoot quite a bit from 3 and is doing good moving off the ball aswell ... he definately is a PG who tries to initiate an offense and make the right pass
- he is good at getting to the basket... even though he is not the quickest his game is shifty and slick and he uses some nice stop and go moves and fakes to get to the basket ... he also is quite skilled finishing with his left or dropping it of to the cutter

He does remind me of a "poor mans" D-Lo in these aspect ... a lot less flashy though but solid.

Now do I want him on the Knicks (especially for a lottery pick - which some team will probably give to him)... nope... because...
- his athleticism is sub-par... even putting Ja Morant close to his name is... well just wrong. I think he will struggle a lot on the NBA level on offense and defence due to this... its lack of speed and ups
- he is still very turnover prone... which is often times based on his decission making... this will "go away with time and experience" but I am just not willing to wait watching a high-risk PG throwing away passes to the opponent for 2-3 years...
There was a sequence with a minute on the clock where Ulm was behind 2-3 points and he had two horrible TOs in the last two possesions basically killing the game for his team single handeldy. I know its a learning process for young PGs but I just dont see it on the Knicks.
- no star-potential ... to be honest Hayes is a baller who has been competing against grown man and held his own already - the German leauge really is not that bad at all - but I just do not see him grow into a special NBA player or even a starter!

The Knickswall said he shot 32% from three and Basketball-Reference has him at 39%. Would you describe his shot as pure or streaky? I agree with your assessment of his speed and athleticism, but I thought similar things about Luka in Europe. Sometimes it's hard to see how well that change of pace game will transfer to the NBA.

I think he definately can become a solid 3 point shooter but dont see his offense to rely on it. Question really is... will opponents have to respect his shot from NBA 3 and further... which would of course open up the game a little for him... BIG question for me.

A little worrisome. He seems like the type of guy who will need to have a plus jumpshot to compensate for his lack of explosiveness. His ball handling also seems a bit sub par for a lead ballhandler. Backcourt pressure seems to bother him a bit.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Uptown
Member: #1883

3/1/2020  9:09 PM
With his size, strength and athleticism, combined with the wide open game of the NBA, Edwards has a chance to be a star in this league. As much as we need a pg, we need a franchise player even more. He has the potential to be that.

BigDaddyG

3/1/2020  9:21 PM
Uptown wrote:With his size, strength and athleticism, combined with the wide open game of the NBA, Edwards has a chance to be a star in this league. As much as we need a pg, we need a franchise player even more. He has the potential to be that.

I agree. But he needs time. People forget how young these guys are. He also probably should've went to a school with a better system and more talent. From his perspective, it's good to be able to showcase his talent. But he also needs to be reined in a bit. Still, I'd feel real comfortable taking him.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
3/2/2020  3:25 PM
CrushAlot wrote:Steph is back for the Warriors. Can he help them enough to catch the Knicks?

After the last draft lotto, does this even matter?

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
smackeddog
3/3/2020  2:35 PM
Uptown

3/3/2020  11:13 PM
smackeddog wrote:

I mentioned on the previous page that Anthony is a lot better than he had been showing since he returned from injury...Looks like he's rounding into shape is more comfortable with his game.

The only pg I would think about taking before Anthony is Ball because of his size and passing ability. But, Anthony is one of if not the most explosive pg in the draft and his upside is higher than most.

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
3/4/2020  2:08 PM
Uptown wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

I mentioned on the previous page that Anthony is a lot better than he had been showing since he returned from injury...Looks like he's rounding into shape is more comfortable with his game.

The only pg I would think about taking before Anthony is Ball because of his size and passing ability. But, Anthony is one of if not the most explosive pg in the draft and his upside is higher than most.

Good its what we need to happen. Looking at these game logs as well and the most attempts he has taken in the last 6 gams has been 16. He scored 28 and 25 pts in his last 2 games on 13 & 14 shot attempts.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
smackeddog
3/4/2020  3:46 PM
smackeddog
3/4/2020  3:54 PM

Wow, this player is quick!

Uptown

3/4/2020  10:05 PM
smackeddog wrote:

He's excelling in a crowded paint...Imagine his explosiveness and playmaking ability in a more wide-open NBA game? Been going back and forth between him and Ball. Leaning towards Anthony at the moment.

Uptown

3/4/2020  10:17 PM
smackeddog wrote:

Wow, this player is quick!

Very quick!!! It almost looks too easy for him. He reminds me of Fox when he was at Kentucky...

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
3/5/2020  9:00 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/5/2020  9:01 AM
Uptown wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

He's excelling in a crowded paint...Imagine his explosiveness and playmaking ability in a more wide-open NBA game? Been going back and forth between him and Ball. Leaning towards Anthony at the moment.

I like Anthony's make up and credentials. He has a good strong build, not afraid to get after it on defense from time to time. Son of former NBA player like Steph and Klay. NBA game and spacing will do better for him like it did for Trae Young.

Hometown product, Father drafted by and played for the Knicks.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
3/5/2020  10:30 AM
top of this draft looks so bad.
Ball cant shoot. Wiseman has played 3 games. Edwards is an absolute chucker on a .500 NCAA team. These guys are terrifying to burn a top 5 lotto pick on
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Yes it’s early but here’s the 2020 NBA draft thread.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy