[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Yes it’s early but here’s the 2020 NBA draft thread.
Author Thread
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

6/11/2020  12:06 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/11/2020  12:08 PM
Looking at Walter Perrin's 19 year track record with the Jazz, I'd say there's a very good chance we pick Obi Toppin if we stay at our projected lottery position.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-history/all/25/all/

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/11/2020  4:22 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:Looking at Walter Perrin's 19 year track record with the Jazz, I'd say there's a very good chance we pick Obi Toppin if we stay at our projected lottery position.

? Why?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BigDaddyG

6/11/2020  6:13 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/11/2020  6:28 PM
martin wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:Looking at Walter Perrin's 19 year track record with the Jazz, I'd say there's a very good chance we pick Obi Toppin if we stay at our projected lottery position.

? Why?

He likes 'em mature and developed hahaha. If we're sitting in the 6-8 range, I could see him singling out Obi. Not saying it's a good or bad move. That range is really tight in terms of talent evaluation.

As an aside, I'll that that the Jazz's record with first round picks is worse than the Knicks.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
KnickDanger
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #7578

6/11/2020  6:48 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
martin wrote:

? Why?

He likes 'em mature and developed hahaha. If we're sitting in the 6-8 range, I could see him singling out Obi. Not saying it's a good or bad move. That range is really tight in terms of talent evaluation.

As an aside, I'll that that the Jazz's record with first round picks is worse than the Knicks.

I'd say Donovan Mitchell alone belies that theory. Throw in Rudy Gobert who was picked in a draft night trade. Can't speak to others but that right there would make me happy as a fan.

BigDaddyG

6/11/2020  7:11 PM
KnickDanger wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
martin wrote:

? Why?

I'd say Donovan Mitchell alone belies that theory. Throw in Rudy Gobert who was picked in a draft night trade. Can't speak to others but that right there would make me happy as a fan.

Donovan was 21 when Utah drafted him. Some people think that's too old to even be considered in the lottery hahaha Rudy is a good pick and so is Haywood. But I can tell Perrin spends more time in the Milf category than he does the barely legals. I'm cool with it until I'm not. Just as long as he has strategy going in.
smackeddog
Member: #883
6/12/2020  4:53 AM
I just hope it's not Cole Anthony, feel we've been down that road with DSJ
smackeddog
6/12/2020  12:01 PM

Can't think of their drafting record the past four years, but I'm glad we're shaking up our scouting department- we've been pretty good with our second round picks, but our top 10 drafting has been pretty poor for a long time.

BigDaddyG

6/12/2020  2:41 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/12/2020  2:43 PM
smackeddog wrote:

Can't think of their drafting record the past four years, but I'm glad we're shaking up our scouting department- we've been pretty good with our second round picks, but our top 10 drafting has been pretty poor for a long time.

I wouldn't say top 10 drafting has been bad. Gallo, KP, RJ (Though jury is still out) vs. Knox/Frank (thought the jury is still out on those guys). And Jordan Hill....well, that's a tough one to live down. I think where our scouting, or at least the Knicks management, has failed is determining the list of intangibles that separate guys of similar talent levels. That was one of the few things Isaiah got right, even though he had some terrible misses. The Mills/Perry/Fiz triumvirate thought the winner in a workout one on one game was a good way to make that determination
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/13/2020  4:42 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

I wouldn't say top 10 drafting has been bad. Gallo, KP, RJ (Though jury is still out) vs. Knox/Frank (thought the jury is still out on those guys). And Jordan Hill....well, that's a tough one to live down. I think where our scouting, or at least the Knicks management, has failed is determining the list of intangibles that separate guys of similar talent levels. That was one of the few things Isaiah got right, even though he had some terrible misses. The Mills/Perry/Fiz triumvirate thought the winner in a workout one on one game was a good way to make that determination
Walsh/D’Antoni did the same thing with Shump. The Hill/Douglas draft was awful. After letting everyone know who he wanted to pick, Walsh had no backup plan when Curry was picked ahead of the Knicks pick. And Andy Rautins? WTF. Not a fan of Walsh’s reign of terror on the franchise.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
BigDaddyG

6/13/2020  6:41 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Walsh/D’Antoni did the same thing with Shump. The Hill/Douglas draft was awful. After letting everyone know who he wanted to pick, Walsh had no backup plan when Curry was picked ahead of the Knicks pick. And Andy Rautins? WTF. Not a fan of Walsh’s reign of terror on the franchise.

Andy was the trailblazer who pave the way for RJ
BigDaddyG

6/16/2020  10:57 AM
https://theknickswall.com/knicks-2020-draft-profiles-tre-jones-projects-perfect-plug-play-offensive-facilitator-draft

As a freshman, Jones averaged just 9.4 points per game. What immediately stood out about him was how relentless he was defensively. At 6-foot-3, he’s not necessarily a small guard, but he didn’t need that physical stature to pose a problem. He was third in the ACC for steals with 68 as a freshman and was sure to surpass that in his sophomore year.

Jones indeed returned to improve his weak areas, which included shooting from long distance. In fact, when asked about the aspects of his games that have gotten better. Jones told The Athletic, “I was able to show that I can shoot the ball much better than I did last year; I think that was one of the biggest things that I improved on.”

Boosting his offensive output to 16.2 points per game and shooting 42% overall, let’s take a look at what makes this ACC Player of the Year a perfect late first-round steal for the New York Knicks.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/17/2020  9:41 AM
Tre Jones has the stones for the big moment and like all college studs we can say "has to work on his shot".......
Can't say where his ceiling is or what Leon's plans are for the roster regarding trades. If he is there at 27 we might take him as part of a trade scenario to at team that really wants him.
You know, trade for a pick next year and a 2nd round sometime after. Frank, Dennis, Elf.........our 1st round and any trade scenario......also where is RJ to play? He a 2 or a three?
Knox? he a 3 or a 4 and does he have a future here? So many pieces to move and configure.
martin
USA
6/17/2020  11:25 AM
It is unfortunate that this draft is bereft of some obvious talent at the top, and the 1 position that the Knicks most eagerly need is PG for which they already have 2 young guys that need minutes. Draft Ball (or whomever) and the Knicks would need to trade someone for team continuity.

I gotta guess that the Knicks will draft best potential with first pick (regardless of position) and then fill need with second.

Draft a PG and you need to trade one of DSJr or Frank. Maybe use the other picks to get a PF or SG.

Draft a PF and maybe use the other picks on a PG who could ride bench for a year.

And so on.

I've started to look closely at Onyeka Okongwu. PF/C type with explosive athleticism, solid rebounder, very good defensive instincts - blocking, IQ, fast vertically and in space, plays D to the 3point line and who can switch onto smaller guys. Needs to improve jumpshot but seems as if it is possible. Endless motor, can't teach that. If IF IF IF Mitch and/or Onyeka could develop passable jumpshots, that's a super solid front line, scary defensively, can offensive rebound like maniacs, PnR teams to death.

Then you use the other 2 picks on later round PG and SG, let them simmer on the bench.

And hope that your staff can help the guys shoot.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/17/2020  11:53 AM
Toppin gets forgotten. Do we need a PF? Randle contract can end after next season. OK to have a rookie off the bench to replace Portis. He better than randle, we can trade Julious and maybe get a pick as we did Morris.
Wiseman in some mocks there at the 4th spot. we are picking anywhere 1-7th with the likly 6th as we are.
There is a good player there at the 6th, quesiton is as always: Do we make it?? LOL
martin
USA
6/17/2020  12:07 PM
Nalod wrote:Toppin gets forgotten. Do we need a PF? Randle contract can end after next season. OK to have a rookie off the bench to replace Portis. He better than randle, we can trade Julious and maybe get a pick as we did Morris.
Wiseman in some mocks there at the 4th spot. we are picking anywhere 1-7th with the likly 6th as we are.
There is a good player there at the 6th, quesiton is as always: Do we make it?? LOL

For me I discount Toppin because of his downside deficiencies. Poor defensively, lacks defensive foot speed, won't be able to switch off to smaller players, etc.

Short term he is probably better than Randle and would be a good spacer. May fit with Robinson but long term I'd guess there would be questions about building a playoff team with him.

smackeddog
6/17/2020  12:47 PM
martin wrote:It is unfortunate that this draft is bereft of some obvious talent at the top, and the 1 position that the Knicks most eagerly need is PG for which they already have 2 young guys that need minutes. Draft Ball (or whomever) and the Knicks would need to trade someone for team continuity.

I gotta guess that the Knicks will draft best potential with first pick (regardless of position) and then fill need with second.

Draft a PG and you need to trade one of DSJr or Frank. Maybe use the other picks to get a PF or SG.

Draft a PF and maybe use the other picks on a PG who could ride bench for a year.

And so on.

I've started to look closely at Onyeka Okongwu. PF/C type with explosive athleticism, solid rebounder, very good defensive instincts - blocking, IQ, fast vertically and in space, plays D to the 3point line and who can switch onto smaller guys. Needs to improve jumpshot but seems as if it is possible. Endless motor, can't teach that. If IF IF IF Mitch and/or Onyeka could develop passable jumpshots, that's a super solid front line, scary defensively, can offensive rebound like maniacs, PnR teams to death.

Then you use the other 2 picks on later round PG and SG, let them simmer on the bench.

I was high on Okongwu for a while, but cooled on him just because I don't see the fit next to Mitch. I do like him a lot though, and his advance stats are excellent

martin
USA
6/17/2020  1:08 PM
smackeddog wrote:
martin wrote:It is unfortunate that this draft is bereft of some obvious talent at the top, and the 1 position that the Knicks most eagerly need is PG for which they already have 2 young guys that need minutes. Draft Ball (or whomever) and the Knicks would need to trade someone for team continuity.

And so on.

I was high on Okongwu for a while, but cooled on him just because I don't see the fit next to Mitch. I do like him a lot though, and his advance stats are excellent

Yeah, I go through those same questions. Would you have thought rookie Bam Adebayo, Serge Ibaka, or Pascal Siakam would have been a good fit?

I'm not sure so we have to project some. Mitch has got to show some jumpshots and so does someone like Onyeka. Eventually.

smackeddog
6/17/2020  1:18 PM
martin wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

And so on.

Yeah, I go through those same questions. Would you have thought rookie Bam Adebayo, Serge Ibaka, or Pascal Siakam would have been a good fit?

I'm not sure so we have to project some. Mitch has got to show some jumpshots and so does someone like Onyeka. Eventually.

Ackkkkkk! I'm doubting myself again- that's all I do with this draft, just flip back and forth!

Maybe after all the back and forth, the decision will be made for us as we'll fall to 7th or 8th in the lottery. At least I have a bit more faith in our scouting this year- glad I'm not the one making the call

BigDaddyG

6/17/2020  2:53 PM
smackeddog wrote:
martin wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

And so on.

Ackkkkkk! I'm doubting myself again- that's all I do with this draft, just flip back and forth!

Maybe after all the back and forth, the decision will be made for us as we'll fall to 7th or 8th in the lottery. At least I have a bit more faith in our scouting this year- glad I'm not the one making the call

Hot take: I like Ineyka's fit better than Wiseman's. Let's say both guys just reach their floors as rim running/defensive big men. In my opinion, Oneyka is already better in that role. Offensively, they'll both need to refine their J's, but I still think Oneyka is still further along. No doubt, Wiseman has a higher ceiling. But he has more work to do to reach his potential. To be fair, Wiseman might have shown that growth he played the full season. We'll never know.
smackeddog
6/18/2020  5:07 PM
Is this guy any good? Spencer Pearlman seems to love him:

Yes it’s early but here’s the 2020 NBA draft thread.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy