[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Yes it’s early but here’s the 2020 NBA draft thread.
Author Thread
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
5/16/2020  11:51 PM
Nalod wrote:This really is funny as hell. He is a bit of a thorn in Silver’s side with this antic but the clarity is pretty amazing. Pay a guy in bitcoin or in a Swiss bank account, or a warehouse fully of Columbian Blow, to entice a guy. Does it happen? Maybe when a Max guy walks for less than max? Durant? When Riley got the superfriends to take less than max?
Dinwiddie is pushing it. He’ll likely end up broke one day playing with the wrong people.

Not to go too off of the topic at hand but do you have any idea how EASY it is for pro athletes to go broke if they are not careful? I remember watching this video of Jalen Rose discussing entourages.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/18/2020  7:43 AM
Knickfury11 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
ankurk wrote:

I know it isn't a position of need but this guy can create his own shot, bring the ball up, shoot, make some sweet passes and this film is from the second-best league in the world - not the Australian league ball is in.

If we land around 6 get me avdija.
Trade the clippers pick + Knox + whatever else to get a later lottery pick and pickup whatever PG falls. Most mock drafts have cole falling to 8-10 range

His shooting still needs work, but I agree with you. I'd be happy with him at 6. I see him filling out and becoming a perimeter 4 in the future. I'd be fine with Cole too.

I watched a lot of Deni’s games this season so I’m reasonably familiar with him. Euro league games showed frequently in UK. Unfortunately people fall in love with the notion of drafting the next Luka. I see him really struggling at the NBA level. Even average NBA wings will murder him on D. He lacks athleticism and physicality in comparison to his NBA counterparts. He is far to reliant on his dominant hand, the tape flatters his passing ability. The plus is his perimeter offence. Deni’s jumper is wet. But Luka he ain’t.

And if we’re drafting for perimeter offence I’d much rather go Nesmith or Bey any day. I wouldn’t be disappointed with Cole. Far worse PGs in this draft.

The 6th pick guy all have holes in there games. When your drafting a teenager your hiring a prospect not a finished product. Video on all these guys make them look great.
Luka had his distracters as well. “Too slow”.......not athletic enough, etc. Non of these guys are sure bets and the odds are not favorable they rise to be allstars. IF they are just solid role players is that a disappointment?

Knickfury11
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #8856
United Kingdom
5/18/2020  11:53 AM
Nalod wrote:
Knickfury11 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
ankurk wrote:

I know it isn't a position of need but this guy can create his own shot, bring the ball up, shoot, make some sweet passes and this film is from the second-best league in the world - not the Australian league ball is in.

If we land around 6 get me avdija.
Trade the clippers pick + Knox + whatever else to get a later lottery pick and pickup whatever PG falls. Most mock drafts have cole falling to 8-10 range

His shooting still needs work, but I agree with you. I'd be happy with him at 6. I see him filling out and becoming a perimeter 4 in the future. I'd be fine with Cole too.

I watched a lot of Deni’s games this season so I’m reasonably familiar with him. Euro league games showed frequently in UK. Unfortunately people fall in love with the notion of drafting the next Luka. I see him really struggling at the NBA level. Even average NBA wings will murder him on D. He lacks athleticism and physicality in comparison to his NBA counterparts. He is far to reliant on his dominant hand, the tape flatters his passing ability. The plus is his perimeter offence. Deni’s jumper is wet. But Luka he ain’t.

And if we’re drafting for perimeter offence I’d much rather go Nesmith or Bey any day. I wouldn’t be disappointed with Cole. Far worse PGs in this draft.

The 6th pick guy all have holes in there games. When your drafting a teenager your hiring a prospect not a finished product. Video on all these guys make them look great.
Luka had his distracters as well. “Too slow”.......not athletic enough, etc. Non of these guys are sure bets and the odds are not favorable they rise to be allstars. IF they are just solid role players is that a disappointment?

Yeah I agree with all prospects having their respective qualities and flaws absolutely. I’m just not massively high on Deni. After watching Luka in the Euro league prior to his NBA debut you knew his game would transfer well, granted I didn’t see him becoming the dominant perennial all star this quickly though!!

My personal preference would be not to draft Deni. Reminds me of Markkanen from CHI - plays soft. We just have to concede that this isn’t a particularly strong draft. My draft order preference would look something like the below based on bpa and team requirements.

Edwards
Wiseman
Haliburton
Okongwu
Cole

Lower in the draft I think Bey and Nesmith would be great additions.

Solid role players wouldn’t be a disappointment, but my attitude is ‘’I want more for us now’’. Think bigger and better.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

5/21/2020  5:53 PM
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
WP76
Member: #4508

5/21/2020  8:07 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:

Just wondering what the record for one team's roster of guards who can't shoot?

wargames
Member: #6053

5/21/2020  8:28 PM
With our second pick I would like to see if Reed, Williams, or Saddiq Bey would be available.
The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
BigDaddyG

5/21/2020  11:06 PM
WP76 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

At least one of them has got to improve. I mean, it happens for other teams. Why not us. The gods have to reward us once in awhile.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
WP76
Member: #4508

5/22/2020  12:09 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
WP76 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

At least one of them has got to improve. I mean, it happens for other teams. Why not us. The gods have to reward us once in awhile.

I really like your attitude but, as a Knicks fan of about 50 years, my optimism light is burnt out.

smackeddog
Member: #883
5/22/2020  3:46 AM
WP76 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
WP76 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

I really like your attitude but, as a Knicks fan of about 50 years, my optimism light is burnt out.

I get it, but if the team is no longer willing to take any risks, they may as well pack up and give up. Eventually you have to take risks, be it draft picks, traded or signings- you can't just not do anything. I'm thinking back tot he Steph Curry draft when D'Antoni was running his mouth of saying how much he liked him, and someone on this board (might have been BRIGGs) said if he was our guy, we need to trade up. I was against it because at the time he was a bit risk and I didn't want to waste any future assets- boy was I wrong! Bottom line for me is, the draft is one of, if not the only, realistic ways of us adding a star. If we do our research on LaMelo and he checks out, do it!

smackeddog
5/22/2020  4:01 AM
I hope this doesn't happen:

The NBA is considering shortening the 19-20 regular season to 70 games with play resuming in July. Teams have played approximately 65 games apiece before the season was suspended.

The potential solutions are “fluid,” one source said.

Playing an additional five regular season games would give playoff contenders an opportunity to play for seeding, while lottery teams would also participate.

If the pandemic doesn't allow the NBA to resume play in July, a relaunch in August is in play with the possibility of instead going straight into the playoffs.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/258221/NBA-Considering-Shortening-19-20-Regular-Season-To-70-Games

We're the only lottery team dumb enough to try to win those meaningless games. 3 more wins and we're down to 9th

Knickfury11
Member: #8856
United Kingdom
5/22/2020  9:33 AM
smackeddog wrote:I hope this doesn't happen:

The NBA is considering shortening the 19-20 regular season to 70 games with play resuming in July. Teams have played approximately 65 games apiece before the season was suspended.

The potential solutions are “fluid,” one source said.

Playing an additional five regular season games would give playoff contenders an opportunity to play for seeding, while lottery teams would also participate.

If the pandemic doesn't allow the NBA to resume play in July, a relaunch in August is in play with the possibility of instead going straight into the playoffs.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/258221/NBA-Considering-Shortening-19-20-Regular-Season-To-70-Games

We're the only lottery team dumb enough to try to win those meaningless games. 3 more wins and we're down to 9th

Damn. I’m all for addition via subtraction here.

wargames
Member: #6053

5/22/2020  11:28 AM
I don’t know Rose apparently wanted to see the kids so that is what we’ll get. With that said yeah I think they’ll do something stupid and win at least 1 game
The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
5/23/2020  5:27 PM
Wasserman’s podcast has Vorkunov on talking about the knicks draft. Can’t link to the pod but it is called’ The Lottery
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
smackeddog
5/27/2020  10:34 AM
However, one source familiar with the situation said Walsh never contacted Minnesota, which held picks No. 5 and 6. Another league source says when Golden State selected Curry, a “huge collective groan” emerged from the Knicks’ war room, which indicated the Knicks were calling Golden State’s bluff.

“It didn’t seem Donnie was prepared for any other scenario,” a former Knicks scout said. “We all love Donnie, but he didn’t seem to have a backup plan and it was a mad scramble to finalize Hill.”

https://nypost.com/2020/05/26/steph-curry-wouldve-saved-knicks-if-warriors-listened-to-dell/

I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's what most of us suspected but we finally have it in black and white by an insider.

Nalod
USA
5/27/2020  11:13 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/27/2020  11:18 AM
Its all weird. Here is my take. MInny was hell bent on Rubio and Flynn. Thats obvious. They had to have thought if they took Curry in a deal for the knicks then GSW takes either Rubio or Flynn. Their take had to be thinking that Rubio does not come over right away and they'd wait him out. In the mean time Flynn looked ready to play. Curry as we learned needed a few years to become the great one. Hindsight tells us what happend.
Lets just assume Donnie did call Kahn and he told him no. Remember, we now know donnie should have emptied the vault to get this kid but lets be honest, Curry was not seen as a HOF talent then.
Lets also be honest, Curry struggled for three years as he was undersized and his ankle issues were problematic. At that moment did Kahn want Hill or Derozen, and what do we give go move up? The thought of coaching this kid as he did Nash, Lin and Harden is incredible.
Your really can't look at this without any thought that MDA might not have lasted with a struggling Curry, and if Denver wanted Curry as part of the Melo trade in those first three years its more probable he goes. Does that mean we hold another player in the trade?
There is another thing to consider and thats Melo playing with Curry and the chemistry of that.

There are many scenarios that play out. True, curry might have tilted things in NY, Melo would be happy to have him in the back court, and gravity of fortune changes. D'antoni resigns and the team pulls Melo to a higher pace game and we draft better. Im not obsolving Walsh of malpractice but I with the clarithy of hindsight I won't simply point to him as the architect of our pain. All things similar you still have the issues of Melo wanting to play in NY, , and Curry's injury. It's easy to think Knicks and their fans would be patient with curry but once again, your looking at him as a missed HOF talent, that time when it happend it was far from most practical projections.
Seriously...........Curry was not even Jordan coming out of college. He was doing great things at Davidson. Not at North Carolina and not in the ACC!
Hindsight Curry goes no. 1 that year with what you and the rest of us know. Objectively he should not have gone any lower than 4th. Hindsight we have been a mess. Minny messed up not once, but twice. Think Sac is hitting themselves they took Tyreke Evens over him?

Yes. Obviusly that draft was seen as a 6 player draft. Not much was picked below HIll, so the lets just say what was the price we had to pay for a team to drop down as the value of the 8th pick was obviously not great. Yes, we shoujld have taken Derozen but that would have set a whole other sequence. Mostly would have ended in a trade with Denver. Maybe we keep Gallo if that was the case. The Grizz took THabeet!!!!

BigDaddyG

5/27/2020  12:11 PM
Full-game video of LaMelo versus Scott Machado, a former Iona great who's had cups of tea in the NBA.

smackeddog
5/27/2020  1:38 PM
Nalod wrote:Its all weird. Here is my take. MInny was hell bent on Rubio and Flynn. Thats obvious. They had to have thought if they took Curry in a deal for the knicks then GSW takes either Rubio or Flynn. Their take had to be thinking that Rubio does not come over right away and they'd wait him out. In the mean time Flynn looked ready to play. Curry as we learned needed a few years to become the great one. Hindsight tells us what happend.
Lets just assume Donnie did call Kahn and he told him no. Remember, we now know donnie should have emptied the vault to get this kid but lets be honest, Curry was not seen as a HOF talent then.
Lets also be honest, Curry struggled for three years as he was undersized and his ankle issues were problematic. At that moment did Kahn want Hill or Derozen, and what do we give go move up? The thought of coaching this kid as he did Nash, Lin and Harden is incredible.
Your really can't look at this without any thought that MDA might not have lasted with a struggling Curry, and if Denver wanted Curry as part of the Melo trade in those first three years its more probable he goes. Does that mean we hold another player in the trade?
There is another thing to consider and thats Melo playing with Curry and the chemistry of that.

There are many scenarios that play out. True, curry might have tilted things in NY, Melo would be happy to have him in the back court, and gravity of fortune changes. D'antoni resigns and the team pulls Melo to a higher pace game and we draft better. Im not obsolving Walsh of malpractice but I with the clarithy of hindsight I won't simply point to him as the architect of our pain. All things similar you still have the issues of Melo wanting to play in NY, , and Curry's injury. It's easy to think Knicks and their fans would be patient with curry but once again, your looking at him as a missed HOF talent, that time when it happend it was far from most practical projections.
Seriously...........Curry was not even Jordan coming out of college. He was doing great things at Davidson. Not at North Carolina and not in the ACC!
Hindsight Curry goes no. 1 that year with what you and the rest of us know. Objectively he should not have gone any lower than 4th. Hindsight we have been a mess. Minny messed up not once, but twice. Think Sac is hitting themselves they took Tyreke Evens over him?

Yes. Obviusly that draft was seen as a 6 player draft. Not much was picked below HIll, so the lets just say what was the price we had to pay for a team to drop down as the value of the 8th pick was obviously not great. Yes, we shoujld have taken Derozen but that would have set a whole other sequence. Mostly would have ended in a trade with Denver. Maybe we keep Gallo if that was the case. The Grizz took THabeet!!!!

Ty Lawson, Jeff Teafue, even Collinson would have been huge difference makers for us, I like a lot of your analysis, but I don't agree there wasn't much after 8.my issue is it seemed like there was a complete lack of research done and that resulted in making a terrible pick

Nalod
USA
5/27/2020  4:25 PM
smackeddog wrote:
Nalod wrote:Its all weird. Here is my take. MInny was hell bent on Rubio and Flynn. Thats obvious. They had to have thought if they took Curry in a deal for the knicks then GSW takes either Rubio or Flynn. Their take had to be thinking that Rubio does not come over right away and they'd wait him out. In the mean time Flynn looked ready to play. Curry as we learned needed a few years to become the great one. Hindsight tells us what happend.

Ty Lawson, Jeff Teafue, even Collinson would have been huge difference makers for us, I like a lot of your analysis, but I don't agree there wasn't much after 8.my issue is it seemed like there was a complete lack of research done and that resulted in making a terrible pick

I wont' argue that. There are always better picks after in hindsignt and its why I commend the knicks for having more picks. Some fans think we don't do it well and perhsps should not bother. Statistically you improve by having more picks. More failures perhaps but its the "keepers that matter'. For that matter the value of the pick we had dropped. Donnie tried to move up. He failed. What was the price? Obviously we could make a deal and few were high on Derozen, Lawson, teague and Collison!! Walsh lamented he wiffed on Brandon Jennings after his rookie surprise!!! Of course nobody was high on Jordan Hill!!!
Its fun for berman to produce articles and stirr it up on past gaffs. Im long winded in my attempt to paint the picure at the time to reproduce the thinking at that moment and what was in front of the decision makers. Curry went 7th. Thats Phuched up in any book! Given our history and though I believe we trade Curry at low value. AT his low he was a 23-24 year old skinny kid whose ankles could not handle the rigors of the NBA. If knicks are consistant, we trade him as part of the melo deal. At the time, Ty Lawson was really doning well in the league! Maybe Dolan gets cute to "Upgrade" the team with Lawson for Curry!!! Thats how worked then...........UGGGH!

GM Riley is working the walsh a bit. Its a compliment at some level but it was not a secred. Its noted Curry and his dad were telling his their agent for GSW to NOT draft him! No secret then. He won't throw Del Curry under the bus.

BigDaddyG

5/29/2020  3:10 PM

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
5/29/2020  3:19 PM
Daily Knicks articles used to be in the blog role. They aren’t anymore for some reason. I know for awhile their content was a bit Pollyanna but their content has gotten much better since the creator of Filmschool took over. Hopefully they can be brought back if possible.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Yes it’s early but here’s the 2020 NBA draft thread.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy