[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

What the Knicks need most is a PG.
Author Thread
Stevo718
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #559
1/14/2020  5:19 PM
It’s as simple as that. They need a glue guy that will run the floor and dish out easy assists and help the rookies learn how to play the game. Everything else will fall into place. I would trade for Chris Paul and his massive contract. I think having our rookies learn for the next three years from him would be ideal because we are at least three years away from doing anything anyways. And we can get him for cheap because no one wants his contract. I’m ready for the tongue lashings now.
AUTOADVERT
Stevo718
Member: #559
1/14/2020  5:27 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/14/2020  5:29 PM
And in three years we have no pretty much no contracts... Randle contract is done, Noah contract is done, Frank contract is gone and the 2022 free agent class is gonna be massive with tons of superstars. Might be able to resign Paul on the cheap and having our rookies with 3 solid years under their belts and probably making the playoffs by the third year would make us a very attractive destination.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
1/14/2020  10:50 PM
This is the year to draft a PG. there’s a lot of decent ones. I’d also go hard after VanVleet. We need a PG but they have to be able to shoot the ball.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
1/15/2020  9:21 AM
its not that silly. CP3 would make things better immediately. Its about cost. OKC has more picks than they can use. They have very few long term commitments and some very good young players. Presti will have a big plan. He can move CP3 anytime I think with the wad of first rounders they got in the Paul George and Westbrook deals.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
fitzfarm
Member: #3285

1/15/2020  9:39 AM
Also our PG’s can’t shoot, it’s a huge problem! It allows the opposing pg to double team our other players knowing Payton can’t hit the broad side of a barn .... Payton can’t help spread the floor he allows the defense to crowd the paint ...
Knixkik
USA
1/15/2020  10:06 AM
fitzfarm wrote:Also our PG’s can’t shoot, it’s a huge problem! It allows the opposing pg to double team our other players knowing Payton can’t hit the broad side of a barn .... Payton can’t help spread the floor he allows the defense to crowd the paint ...

This impacts Randle and Barrett the worst. They need room to operate to be their best going forward.

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
1/15/2020  10:28 AM
Starting center (Mitch development)
Starting PF (Rendle devlopment)
Starting SF (RJ?/Knox development)
Starting SG (RJ development)
Starting PG (Frank?)
Backup C (not exist)
Backup PF (Knox development, Wrotten?)
Backup SF (Dot?, Iggy?)
Backup SG (Dot development, Zo?)
Backup PG (Frank development, Kadeem?)

We need to develop or get everything. Too many questions..

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
fitzfarm
Member: #3285

1/15/2020  11:15 AM
We need to draft a pg with our top lottery pick ... there is a bunch coming out this year... most of them are very good 3 point shooters. We just have to ride the rebuild. RJ has been looking great lately you can tell he’s really working on his shot and FTs. Randles numbers are great he’s a upgrade over the oft injured low stamina KP. Mitch is going to take time maybe another year or two .

But If we have a point guard that can spread the floor and break down the defense it will speed up the development of our yoots.

Knixkik
USA
1/15/2020  12:12 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/15/2020  12:12 PM
fitzfarm wrote:We need to draft a pg with our top lottery pick ... there is a bunch coming out this year... most of them are very good 3 point shooters. We just have to ride the rebuild. RJ has been looking great lately you can tell he’s really working on his shot and FTs. Randles numbers are great he’s a upgrade over the oft injured low stamina KP. Mitch is going to take time maybe another year or two .

But If we have a point guard that can spread the floor and break down the defense it will speed up the development of our yoots.

I think our 3 front court positions are established for the future. Mitch Randle and Barrett. The backcourt needs a complete overhaul and you need good guards to win. You need shooting at both positions too. Hopefully one of them can be addressed in the draft.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

1/15/2020  12:24 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/15/2020  12:26 PM
fitzfarm wrote:We need to draft a pg with our top lottery pick ... there is a bunch coming out this year... most of them are very good 3 point shooters. We just have to ride the rebuild. RJ has been looking great lately you can tell he’s really working on his shot and FTs. Randles numbers are great he’s a upgrade over the oft injured low stamina KP. Mitch is going to take time maybe another year or two .

Dont know if there is a PG at Ja Morant's level. If mgmt sees a special PG worth trading up for, wouldnt mind if they threw in a future first rounder, since we have a surplus for a change.

Agree with the OP that PG has to be addressed. Believe the battle we're seeing this season is for backup PG. We need to draft a special player, even if it means burning through a pick(s). That important.

Wouldnt want to max out a star PG, with the numbers being well against that leading to a chip.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
1/15/2020  12:29 PM
GustavBahler wrote:

Dont know if there is a PG at Ja Morant's level. If mgmt sees a special PG worth trading up for, wouldnt mind if they threw in a future first rounder, since we have a surplus for a change.

Agree with the OP that PG has to be addressed. Believe the battle we're seeing this season is for backup PG. We need to draft a special player, even if it means burning through a pick(s). That important.

Wouldnt want to max out a star PG, with the numbers being well against that leading to a chip.

agree but with those parameters you could be looking for a long time.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
GustavBahler

1/15/2020  12:41 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/15/2020  12:42 PM
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Some players are riskier than others. Morant didnt seem like a big risk to me outside of his health. Some players are more high risk/reward. If the reward is potentially a special player. Someone who can dish and get buckets. Thats a risk worth giving up something, if we draft outside the top 5.

knicks1248
Member: #582
1/15/2020  4:13 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/15/2020  4:15 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Some players are riskier than others. Morant didnt seem like a big risk to me outside of his health. Some players are more high risk/reward. If the reward is potentially a special player. Someone who can dish and get buckets. Thats a risk worth giving up something, if we draft outside the top 5.

EXACTLY, they wanted to refrain from giving up all their assets for players in the last leg of their prime..

I would have done whatever it took to NAB Trey or Ja, (especially Ja) being that RJ would have still been on the board and we had extra picks from dallas and frank and DSJ to sweeten the pot..

We have been desperate for a real pg and they absolute did nothing banking on DSJ and Frank..2 kids that aren't even in the same conversation as ja and trey

ES
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/15/2020  4:27 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

EXACTLY, they wanted to refrain from giving up all their assets for players in the last leg of their prime..

I would have done whatever it took to NAB Trey or Ja, (especially Ja) being that RJ would have still been on the board and we had extra picks from dallas and frank and DSJ to sweeten the pot..

We have been desperate for a real pg and they absolute did nothing banking on DSJ and Frank..2 kids that aren't even in the same conversation as ja and trey

The Knicks should have just sweetened the pot a little more and drafted Zion too, right?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
GustavBahler

1/15/2020  6:29 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Dont blame mgmt for standing pat at 3. It was Morant or Barrett, and the 2nd pick would have cost us a fortune. What Barrett is showing at 19, tells me we have nothing to regret.

Trae was my pick if he fell to us. Doncic was my pick if we had the first pick in the draft down. Think other teams discounted what he did in Europe, ignoring that he was doing it as a teenager against good vets.

Believe there is a time and place for that strategy. Mostly about having the resources to pay a premium, and not give up the farm to trade up. Believe that time is now. Might have even more to work with, if we make some trades this season for picks.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

1/15/2020  6:40 PM
I don't think a good PG fixes everything... I think this team needs high end talent the most. Hopefully some of the yoots develop into that but hat's what needs to be aggressively pursued
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
1/15/2020  6:51 PM
Saying we need a PG is a broad statement. Some great PGs don’t do crap for winning, like Marbury. First, I would decide exactly what you want out of your PG and if you want your PG to be built around. It isn’t necessary. Hell, maybe Tre Jones turns out to be a good option! I doubt he’ll be a superstar but he seems to be showing improvement from year 1 to 2 and he can play with Barrett! I’m not saying he’s who we SHOULD go after. I’m saying he just has to be a quality starter at minimum.

The entire team needs to be built. We also need to determine if we think Mitch is going to be a starter or backup down the line.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Knixkik
USA
1/15/2020  7:17 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:I don't think a good PG fixes everything... I think this team needs high end talent the most. Hopefully some of the yoots develop into that but hat's what needs to be aggressively pursued

They badly need high end guards. In a league that demands good guard play, we are built thru the front court with no shooters or dribble penetration.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/15/2020  7:53 PM
Knixkik wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:I don't think a good PG fixes everything... I think this team needs high end talent the most. Hopefully some of the yoots develop into that but hat's what needs to be aggressively pursued

They badly need high end guards. In a league that demands good guard play, we are built thru the front court with no shooters or dribble penetration.

Tyrese Halliburton

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
knicks1248
Member: #582
1/16/2020  9:06 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/16/2020  9:09 AM
Knixkik wrote:

We have never had a real All star PG(at least since strickland and mark), and it's a damn shame. We have had all stars at every position (C, PF, SF, SG) and I felt like we had enough assets to land one in the last 2 drafts, and i would have over paid to do it.

I can't recall the last time any PG drafted in the top 7 turned out to be a bust other than Mudiay

2009--harden, curry, Rubio
2010- Wall
2011- Kyrie
2012- Lillard
2013- olapido-combo guard
2014- role player draft
2015- D russell..mudiay
2016- K Dunn, jamal murry
2017- Fultz, Fox, Ball.......same yr as frank and dsj
2018- trey
2019- Ja

So just in the last 10 yrs we have missed out on a lot of really good pg's, a position that rarely ever produces a draft bust in the top 7

ES
What the Knicks need most is a PG.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy