Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/9/2020  4:26 PM

GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:If it is true that Rose isnt big on details, keeping Perry and Miller where they are would be in his best interest. They're both detail oriented.

Yeah I wouldn’t take one out of context quote from an anonymous source from an article looking for clickbait type reaction and run with it.

High level, wildly successful people know a ****-ton about details.

If I "ran with it" I would have stated it as a fact, not raised as a hypothetical. Plenty of talented and successful people have blown fortunes because they werent big on details. Rose might be a big picture kind of exec, which is a good reason to keep people around him that do sweat the details. All I said.

Did the person who blows a fortune because they did not tend to details the same person who built it?

AUTOADVERT
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

2/9/2020  4:53 PM
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:If it is true that Rose isnt big on details, keeping Perry and Miller where they are would be in his best interest. They're both detail oriented.

Yeah I wouldn’t take one out of context quote from an anonymous source from an article looking for clickbait type reaction and run with it.

If I "ran with it" I would have stated it as a fact, not raised as a hypothetical. Plenty of talented and successful people have blown fortunes because they werent big on details. Rose might be a big picture kind of exec, which is a good reason to keep people around him that do sweat the details. All I said.

Did the person who blows a fortune because they did not tend to details the same person who built it?

They may have had a very specific skill which earned them their fortune. Organizational skills might not be one of them. Some folks are great at selling a vision, not as good with the follow through. Why I mentioned detail oriented people like Perry and Miller.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

2/9/2020  5:43 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/9/2020  5:44 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

They may have had a very specific skill which earned them their fortune. Organizational skills might not be one of them. Some folks are great at selling a vision, not as good with the follow through. Why I mentioned detail oriented people like Perry and Miller.

Yep. Rose might have a vision, but he needs architects around him to make sure those plans are doable and within reason. He's a successful agent and probably knows basketball. He might know more about basketball than Morey. Knowing the ins and outs of the cap and using to your advantage is a different skill. Just look at Michael Ovitz and Disney. I'm pretty sure Rose knows his limitations and I hope he hires people who can fill in those gaps. I'm not thrilled with this hire, but it's done. Now I hope this guy has the vision to see us through to a title and can use his pull to bring in high IQ people to the FO.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
2/9/2020  6:01 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

Yep. Rose might have a vision, but he needs architects around him to make sure those plans are doable and within reason. He's a successful agent and probably knows basketball. He might know more about basketball than Morey. Knowing the ins and outs of the cap and using to your advantage is a different skill. Just look at Michael Ovitz and Disney. I'm pretty sure Rose knows his limitations and I hope he hires people who can fill in those gaps. I'm not thrilled with this hire, but it's done. Now I hope this guy has the vision to see us through to a title and can use his pull to bring in high IQ people to the FO.
I am curious to see if he can bring in all his own people. There are hangers on that have been at msg for a very long time. I want him to keep Miller. I am on the fence about Perry but otherwise I would hope he cleans house. Nets did that with Marks. If the Knicks are copying the Nets with Stoute's firm it would be wise to copy what the Nets did that was actually right. Grey courts, jersey give aways etc. are fine but the Nets actually changed their entire front office including moving on from guys that had been successful there.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
BigDaddyG

2/9/2020  6:16 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/9/2020  8:56 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

I am curious to see if he can bring in all his own people. There are hangers on that have been at msg for a very long time. I want him to keep Miller. I am on the fence about Perry but otherwise I would hope he cleans house. Nets did that with Marks. If the Knicks are copying the Nets with Stoute's firm it would be wise to copy what the Nets did that was actually right. Grey courts, jersey give aways etc. are fine but the Nets actually changed their entire front office including moving on from guys that had been successful there.

What would you think if Rose brought in Bobby Marks? It seems unlikely, but that's the kind of people we need.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/9/2020  9:25 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

What would you think if Rose brought in Bobby Marks? It seems unlikely, but that's the kind of people we need.

Marks seems like he is really sharp. I wouldn’t hate it. I think Marks commented that he had put his time in as an executive but that might be fluid if the right offer was there.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
2/10/2020  10:50 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

Unfortunately I think Perry has to go in order to fully have a clean slate. No more hanging on to a people because of ownership's loyalty, that's been killing this franchise for a long time.

ES
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/10/2020  10:59 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

Unfortunately I think Perry has to go in order to fully have a clean slate. No more hanging on to a people because of ownership's loyalty, that's been killing this franchise for a long time.

Thinking like that will get you nowhere. Perry is not a Knicks lifer and ingrained into anything.

Gotta assume Rose is a good talent evaluator and he will do his thing. If he thinks Perry will help, he stays, otherwise thank you for your service.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Nalod
USA
2/10/2020  1:25 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

Mills is gone. This is not some Game of Thrones movie shyt, this is a guys career. He has no loyalty to "House of MIlls", he was hired by KNICKS! If the talent base is there which is really only been in place about 2.5 years then you don't want some crazy cleaning house which really does not bode well for the teams reputation. Let the new guy keep who he wants, bring in who he wants, and no doubt some might seek to work elsewhere anyway. Im sure its a nice impulse dream to think we can put together some magical kingdom that will draft mystical dragons and Unicorns (Been there, LOL) along with the smartest Wizards that can predict the future and draft accordingly. Grow up man, things will happen incrementally!

Chandler
Member: #6197

2/10/2020  1:37 PM

Staying off topic from Miller ... i think Perry's downfall will be that he has been all over the place in terms of building (maybe guild by association with Mills). But when he came in the notion was 2-way, smart players. God's honest truth i don't know if we have one player who fits that mold. Who am i missing -- maybe RJ fits it but after that??

his biggest strength is drafting in the second round, which while valuable is not what makes someone a GM (it makes them a good scout)

What do people think about Ryan West?

(5)(5)
Nalod
USA
2/10/2020  2:09 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/10/2020  2:12 PM
Chandler wrote:
Staying off topic from Miller ... i think Perry's downfall will be that he has been all over the place in terms of building (maybe guild by association with Mills). But when he came in the notion was 2-way, smart players. God's honest truth i don't know if we have one player who fits that mold. Who am i missing -- maybe RJ fits it but after that??

his biggest strength is drafting in the second round, which while valuable is not what makes someone a GM (it makes them a good scout)

Does perry or the GM really draw the plans for the team? Who is the architect? MIlls fails to deliver stars and impliments plan b. Perry then had to procure a lot of those guys pretty quick and make it happen in the first day or so. Perry does what he is told. He has to execute the plan, not develop it.

Ryan West? He is a scout. Maybe as an assistant GM and "detail guy" but he has not really done much. By that what is his experience? Not his "record" per se. Not sure he is ready or has the cred to do deals. We like him because his pops is legend logo? Maybe he has the insight and smarts? Maybe. He is a scout for the clippers. Is pops works for them. Lakers did not promote him and he left.
If he is not an assistant to the GM previously then I don't want him yet.
If Leon says this guy is golden, then that's his guy. He'd know his qualifications and had interviewed him.

BigDaddyG

2/10/2020  2:25 PM
Chandler wrote:

Don't know enough about him. I will say, and this is one of the things Mills got right by bringing in Perry and screwed Phil when he got stuck with Mills, is Rose should bring in someone with experience in the early going. Rose is a newb and it's probably not a good idea for him to bring in someone who also needs on the job training.
BigDaddyG

2/10/2020  5:33 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/10/2020  5:33 PM
Fiz confirms what a lot of us suspected. I'm not the biggest fan as Fix as coach, but he is a likeable guy and I hope he lands another gig one day.
https://www.sny.tv/knicks/news/david-fizdale-says-he-needed-to-be-tougher-on-young-knicks-roster/312709096

"I probably needed to crack the whip a little more and be more demanding of the young guys to do more winning things and not be as patient with them from that standpoint," Fizdale said. "So it was a balance of just trying to find the right lane with each team."
Chandler

2/10/2020  6:42 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Chandler wrote:

Don't know enough about him. I will say, and this is one of the things Mills got right by bringing in Perry and screwed Phil when he got stuck with Mills, is Rose should bring in someone with experience in the early going. Rose is a newb and it's probably not a good idea for him to bring in someone who also needs on the job training.

it goes both ways. When you get a guy with experience you always have to ask yourself why is this guy even available. Not just for GMs but in real life jobs too. Not saying West is the guy, but the fact that he's been doing this for 10 years and not a celebrity is the kind of guy i want. He is credited with late first round picks for Lakers, and moving to Clips is probably a plus. Yes he's Jerry's son -- which i view more as a positive than a negative but no guarantees

Primarily i want a guy who knows his ****. If he has experience that's a positive and a negative. If he's a newb that's a negative and a positive.

(5)(5)
Chandler

2/10/2020  7:25 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:Fiz confirms what a lot of us suspected. I'm not the biggest fan as Fix as coach, but he is a likeable guy and I hope he lands another gig one day.
https://www.sny.tv/knicks/news/david-fizdale-says-he-needed-to-be-tougher-on-young-knicks-roster/312709096

"I probably needed to crack the whip a little more and be more demanding of the young guys to do more winning things and not be as patient with them from that standpoint," Fizdale said. "So it was a balance of just trying to find the right lane with each team."

I think his problem was he was just dumb. Too much talk. He still can’t stop

Does he even believe what he’s saying or does he just think it sounds good

(5)(5)
ramtour420
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
2/10/2020  8:37 PM
Chandler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:Fiz confirms what a lot of us suspected. I'm not the biggest fan as Fix as coach, but he is a likeable guy and I hope he lands another gig one day.

He is reaching for straws at this point. Yes David , you needed to crack that whip. You motivational speaker you. It wasn't your rotations, out of bounds and after the time out plays. It wasn't the XnO's. Nope , if only u had cracked that whip more it would have been all good right there

Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
2/12/2020  7:49 AM
ramtour420 wrote:
Chandler wrote:

He is reaching for straws at this point. Yes David , you needed to crack that whip. You motivational speaker you. It wasn't your rotations, out of bounds and after the time out plays. It wasn't the XnO's. Nope , if only u had cracked that whip more it would have been all good right there

Exactly! I saw the headlines and thought the exact same thing.

He's been so exposed he just needs to shut up already.

If that is the lesson he takes, then he will fail if he ever gets another head coaching job. And does anyone really expect he will? I can't see it. Not at the pro level.

knicks1248
Member: #582
2/12/2020  10:59 AM
franco12 wrote:
ramtour420 wrote:
Chandler wrote:

Exactly! I saw the headlines and thought the exact same thing.

He's been so exposed he just needs to shut up already.

If that is the lesson he takes, then he will fail if he ever gets another head coaching job. And does anyone really expect he will? I can't see it. Not at the pro level.

He's a good coach to have on your staff

ES
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

2/12/2020  11:23 AM
Fizdale wasnt tough enough on the vets either. The ball moved much better his first year, with the youngest starting lineup in the league. More picks were set. The vets came in, and the ball started sticking. Miller got the ball moving again, more screens set. Better D. At least Fizdale is owning up to something.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
2/12/2020  11:45 AM
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

Thinking like that will get you nowhere. Perry is not a Knicks lifer and ingrained into anything.

Gotta assume Rose is a good talent evaluator and he will do his thing. If he thinks Perry will help, he stays, otherwise thank you for your service.

exactly. The entire organization is not garbage and is not part of the MSG collective. Coach Mike Miller for example. Up until 2012 Miller was a college coach. He was then hired by the Spurs to coach in the G league. The the Knicks hired him:

On October 7, 2015, the Westchester Knicks hired him to be their head coach.While with the Knicks, Miller won the NBA G League Coach of the Year for the 2017–18 season. After four seasons in Westchester, Miller was promoted to the New York Knicks as an assistant coach.

So its entirely possible this guy has a great work ethic and coaching chops and certainly hasnt been a part of past regimes. Now I understand the next FO gets to build their own staff in their own vision but casting off valuable people and players is emotional and stupid.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Mike Miller Appreciation Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy