[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Isiah and His Approach.....
Author Thread
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
9/30/2004  9:21 AM
You know, the more I think about it, is the more I am liking what Isiah is bringing to our organization. This man is trying to establish the true feeling of a great organization here in N.Y. Here is a man who wasn't even part of our family, in fact he was once an enemy, but yet still wants to bring back guys that he had once considered his enemy back to this organization. The hiring of John Starks and hopefully a return of Ewing or Oakley will further puntuate what I am trying to say. All dynasties, or great franchises, have always found way to keep their ex-great players within the franchise, I.E.: Detroit and the Lakers. The success that these two franchises have enjoyed is still reflecting even today. Those two teams have offered a position to: Magic (as an owner), Detroit hired Joe Dumars as their GMs. Look at the other teams that have had great players and have won many championships, but failed to reinclude their great ones after resuming their playing career, I.E.: Bulls, Boston, the Rockets, etc, the result is very bad. In fact those teams are so bad, and it appears that they will remain bad for a great period of time.

I give props to Isiah for trying to bring back the ex players.
The true Knickabocker..........
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/30/2004  10:50 AM
I think Steve Mills, the President should get some props. He runs things also!

diderotn
USA
9/30/2004  11:13 AM
Bottom line is this, they are all working together to recreate what was missing with this organization.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
9/30/2004  11:39 AM
Mills was here through the Layden regime.. so to hell with him.

Briggs said it best... Isiah is turning NY into a basketball factory. He's got a bunch of HOFers to work with his players. Kareem is working with Nazr, Aguire w/ Sweetney, Isiah w/ Marbury... He has a chance to establish NY as a place that already has a great homecourt, every game is sell out, but now its also a place with a winning environment where players get better and will get paid. Even if KT gets traded he still got his $$. Players notice that. With the Knicks being more high profile there will be endorsements, etc... the whole thing just grows.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
knicks1248
Member: #582
9/30/2004  11:40 AM
Thank spree for embarassing the hell out of dolon and the entire knicks organazation, while every one just stood around a watch
ES
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
9/30/2004  12:13 PM
I liked the fact that he didnt jettison Sweetney with the other players Layden signed.He could have done it to separate himself even further from the stink of the Layden era.He gave him the chance that Layden and Chaney didnt and now it looks like its paying dividends.

He put the team before his ego, I hope it stays that way.
knicks1248
9/30/2004  12:18 PM
If your job was on the line would you put a rookie in??
ES
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
9/30/2004  12:32 PM
Its amazing how much people take out of nothing more than a PR move with the hiring of Starks. After the night they retired Ewing's number, when Starks received the 2nd biggest ovation of the night, Dolan wanted to bring back Starks in any capacity to quiet fan's unhappiness. That's why he's being hired, for good pub.

Bringing HOFers to work with players means nothing. Jordan came back to work with the Wiz, how did that turn out? Magic came back to coach the Lakers, how did that turn out? Kareem was tutoring Kandi-man, how did that turn out? I'm not even going to bother with people continually trying to credit Aguirre for Sweetney learning to be a pro in his rookie year and a strong work ethic that he's had his entire life. Just because you're a HOFer, doesn't mean you can teach young players.

NY has a great homecourt because of the city they play in and the fans they have. Every game isn't sold out. Winning environment? Not lately. If we're only getting the attention of players that want to get paid, there's something wrong with that.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
fishmike
USA
9/30/2004  12:44 PM
ah yes... I was wondering when Isiahfan would resurface. Nice to hear new and refreshing thoughts :)
Kwazimodal
9/30/2004  12:49 PM
Posted by knicks1248:

If your job was on the line would you put a rookie in??

If he could contribute I would,he proved that as soon as Thomas/Wilkens gave him some PT.

[Edited by - kwazimodal on 09/30/2004 12:50:01]
fishmike
USA
9/30/2004  12:51 PM
when was Chaney's job on the line? He won 32 and 36 games and earned extensions after both. If thats not job security what is?
knicks1248
9/30/2004  1:06 PM
So what your saying is that he had no pressure on him to win right now, I guess thats why Allan & Dice were playing ( Dice 27 minutes in his 2nd game) when they should have been sitting, or should of had there minutes cut significantly.

Layden and Chaney had nothing but good things to say about sweetny, the just felt they would bring him along much slower then IT and Wilkens.
In the games sweetny did get major minutes ( in the chaney era) he really didn't prove that he should be out there on a regular. IMO he didn't start doing that until IT and Mcguire started working with him consistantly.
ES
islesfan
9/30/2004  1:08 PM
Posted by fishmike:

ah yes... I was wondering when Isiahfan would resurface. Nice to hear new and refreshing thoughts :)

Don't I get credit for keeping my Isiah related remarks in an Isiah related thread?

If he could contribute I would,he proved that as soon as Thomas/Wilkens gave him some PT.

Sure, after another month and a half in street clothes.

when was Chaney's job on the line? He won 32 and 36 games and earned extensions after both. If thats not job security what is?

I'd say his job was on the line sometime before he got fired less than 2 months into the season.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
knicks1248
9/30/2004  1:17 PM
Sure, after another month and a half in street clothes.

it was definetly a lot shorter then a month, I recall IT wondering wy the hell in was in street cloths in the first place, and this was when he witness there first practice.
ES
Kwazimodal
9/30/2004  1:18 PM
Posted by knicks1248:

In the games sweetny did get major minutes ( in the chaney era) he really didn't prove that he should be out there on a regular. IMO he didn't start doing that until IT and Mcguire started working with him consistantly.

He didnt get major minutes under Chaney.He didnt get more than ten minutes at a time.Not enough for him to get used to the NBA game.IT/Wilkens helped build his confidence by showing more faith in him with more PT and Sweetney responded.
diderotn
USA
9/30/2004  1:18 PM
You guys are all missing the points.

All dynasties, or great franchises, have always found way to keep their ex-great players within the franchise, I.E.: Detroit and the Lakers. The success that these two franchises have enjoyed is still reflecting even today. Those two teams have offered a position to: Magic (as an owner), Detroit hired Joe Dumars as their GMs. Look at the other teams that have had great players and have won many championships, but failed to reinclude their great ones after resuming their playing career, I.E.: Bulls, Boston, the Rockets, etc, the result is very bad. In fact those teams are so bad, and it appears that they will remain bad for a great period of time.
fishmike
USA
9/30/2004  1:19 PM
oh.. the minute Layden was gone you knoew Duck was soon to follow. I just meant before that point.

"Kareem was tutoring Kandi-man, how did that turn out? "

Actually very well. Kandi was regarded as the 2nd best center to Shaq and had a 6 year $65mm offer on the table from the Clippers. He had a monster 2nd half and averaged 14/12/3 over the last 2 months of the season while the Clipper made a legit playoff run. Kandi didnt play organized ball until he was 17. Then he blew his knee out and hasnt been the same since.

Putting the right coachs and players together is huge. You have to be able to improve from within. We wont know if this group of coaches is that good or not but you have to like (except you dont) what your hearing so far.
knicks1248
9/30/2004  1:23 PM
Then he blew his knee out and hasnt been the same since.

Did you see him play prior to the injury, and if thats the case, why did he com out as the #1 overall pick
ES
Kwazimodal
9/30/2004  1:25 PM
Posted by islesfan:

Sure, after another month and a half in street clothes

Better late then never.Isiah and Wilkens just got the job and were making alot of personel moves,try to give them some credit for giving him a fair chance to contribute.
islesfan
9/30/2004  1:33 PM
Posted by Kwazimodal:
Posted by islesfan:

Sure, after another month and a half in street clothes

Better late then never.Isiah and Wilkens just got the job and were making alot of personel moves,try to give them some credit for giving him a fair chance to contribute.

He was Layden's #1 draft pick, isn't it fair to say that Sweetney was going to get a fair chance if Layden hadn't been fired?
Isiah and His Approach.....

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy