Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
9/30/2004  1:21 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/29421.htm

STARKS GETS FRONT OFFICE POST

By MARC BERMAN

September 30, 2004 -- John Starks, arguably more popular among Knick fans than Patrick Ewing, is back with the Knicks, joining their front office, according to sources.

The announcement has not been made, but The Post has learned Starks will replace the departed Willis Reed as the club's goodwill ambassador. He has not been given a title, but Starks will work mostly in community relations and will have an expanded role on MSG Network's telecasts. Last year, Starks did some halftime studio work for MSG.

Reed, who left to join New Orleans, had minimal basketball responsibilities. Starks, at least at the start, will have none, according to a source. Starks has been based in Tulsa, Okla., but plans to move the family to Connecticut on Sunday. Starks had been the coach of the ABL's Westchester Wildfire the last two springs.

Across the last two years, Starks has received thunderous standing ovations whenever introduced as a Garden spectator, even though last June was the 10-year anniversary of his championship-killing 2-of-18 brickfest in the 1994 Finals in Houston. The fans have forgiven Starks, who just published his autobiography, "My Life," with the foreward written by Spike Lee.

Starks is very much into coaching. When he made an appearance at the Knicks summer kids basketball camp in July, he spent a half-hour teaching technical shooting drills.

AUTOADVERT
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
9/30/2004  4:36 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/story/237087p-203544c.html

Starks joins front office

The Knicks are close to hiring John Starks for a front-office job that would include basketball and community-relations duties.

Starks, one of the most popular players in team history, will also continue his work as a part-time broadcaster for MSG Network. Starks has coached the Westchester Wildfire in the USBL for the past two years and is hoping to become an NBA head coach one day.

Another famous Knick, Hall of Fame guard Earl Monroe, is also expected to have a bigger role with the club.

The Knicks reached out to Monroe after Willis Reed left the team to take a front-office position with the New Orleans Hornets.

Frank Isola

Originally published on September 30, 2004
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/30/2004  8:47 AM

He can introduce crack cocaine to new parts of CT!

John is allright, Im not into the Starks love fest as few remember he promised a victory in a series and bought his golf clubs on a playoff road trip and skipped off to play. John had great moments, but I also remember his bad timed technicals and key turnovers.

He is a working class hero to many and maybe I am still being harsh on him. He was a hard worker and tough as nails persona, sort of like spree, but more fun on the court. Fans want the 1990s back! Me too, next time we all sell our tech stocks sooner!

My favorite starks moment, not the dunk, but when he head butted a yapping reggie miller, that was the best!
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
9/30/2004  9:22 AM
He is a guy that did much with very little talent and a whole lot of effort and heart.

But, what is he doing teaching shooting!

I could see him being a coach in the same vein as Doc Rivers
toodarkmark
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #515
USA
9/30/2004  11:38 AM
My favorite moment was when he clotheslined Scottie Pippen in the 1992 Playoffs with the Bulls.

John Starks, no matter his short comings, is still my favorite all time Knick.
I don't care what people think. People are stupid. - Charles Barkley
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
9/30/2004  12:58 PM
What about the Reggie Miller headbut?
hDavis
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #494
USA
9/30/2004  1:21 PM
Screw the front office! we need Starks in shorts!
ANOTHER Knick turnover! -Marv Albert
MaTT4281
Member: #538
USA
9/30/2004  5:04 PM
Now all we need is Ewing back on the bench.
MaTT4281
Member: #538
USA
10/7/2004  5:49 PM
From RealGM

Knicks Senior Vice President of Marketing and Business Operations Anucha Browne Sanders announced today that the team has hired former player John Starks in a newly created position of alumni relations and fan development advisor.

"John Starks is one of the most popular players in Knicks history, not only for his play on the court, but also for his fiery leadership and civic responsibility," Browne Sanders said. "We are very excited to have him back with the team in this new full-time role."

Starks, 39, will be involved in the day-to-day efforts to expand the Knicks Alumni Relations, Community Relations and Fan Development programs. He will also play a role in MSG Network television and radio broadcasts and provide support in the team's sponser and suite sales efforts.

"New York is my home away from home and the time was right to join the Knicks again on a non-playing level in the front office," Starks said. "I have a great relationship with New York fans, as well as our current and former players. I am looking forward to gaining experience and learning this business."
Masterplan
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #362
10/7/2004  7:46 PM
i'm young enough that one of my only memories of starks as a player was that last game against houston when he kept chucking bricks from downtown. and i wasn't sad to see him go because we got spree for him, who is still up there with my favorite all time knicks. but as i've seen more of him in replays of old games and highlights, i've appreciated what he brought to the team and how great a player he was. hopefully he'll be a part of returning the winning mentality to the knicks this season and in the future.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/7/2004  11:03 PM
Keep researching.

Marrying the name Starks with the word mentality is a union of the unatural,

NY Post: STARKS GETS FRONT OFFICE POST

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy