[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Where's Waldo (a.k.a. Dennis Smith)
Author Thread
Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

11/6/2019  2:50 PM
Something's not right. Totally sympathetic to the loss of his stepmom but this seems deeper than that.

If my suspicions are correct that he may be suffering from depression (e.g., honest, extra difficulty with adversity) i can only imagine that the loss of his stepmom made recent situation that much worse

(5)(5)
AUTOADVERT
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
11/6/2019  2:58 PM
When he was being booed by the idiotic fans, his body language showed someone that wanted to be in bed. This wouldn’t be surprising at all. I hope he turns it around. I’m not in love with his game but I am still rooting for him.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
11/6/2019  3:21 PM
We don't know about the emotional stresses in an anthlete's life. Few details have been shared around the death of DSJ's step mother - whether she passed unexpectedly or whether she had been suffering over a period of time. He could have been distracted by this in training camp through the early part of the season leading to her death.

And now, at the ripe old age of 21, he's probably the wealthiest person in his family and is being asked to carry the burden of sorting through everything. It's a lot to take in. Dennis Smith JR usually comes across as a genuine sort of person in interviews, so I'm hoping he makes it past this tough phase from a personal and professional standpoint. For now, I'll give him a pass. It's a shame because most reports sounded like he was in the best shape of his life coming into camp and seemed to be primed for a big year.

As fans we tend to be focused solely on performance on the court. But there's a lot that goes on in the lives of players. I sometimes think about the Eddy Curry era on the Knicks, on how he just kind of fell off the map after a surprisingly productive season with the team.

A few things happened off the court:
He and his family were bound and robbed at gunpoint at his home in 2007. He bounced back and had the best year of his career.

In the backdrop of his time with the team 2009, his son was murdered by the baby momma's attorney/boyfriend (involved in the child support case). This happened during his age 26 season. The stats show he faded into obscurity following this. Who knows how much this factored into his on-court performance from this point on, because he was never a productive player again in the 5 years he played beyond this incident.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2013-02-13-chi-chicago-attorney-convicted-in-slaying-of-eddy-currys-exgirlfriend-infant-daughter-20130212-story.html

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/404357-the-unfortunate-tale-of-eddy-curry

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/6/2019  3:35 PM
technomaster wrote:We don't know about the emotional stresses in an anthlete's life. Few details have been shared around the death of DSJ's step mother - whether she passed unexpectedly or whether she had been suffering over a period of time. He could have been distracted by this in training camp through the early part of the season leading to her death.

And now, at the ripe old age of 21, he's probably the wealthiest person in his family and is being asked to carry the burden of sorting through everything. It's a lot to take in. Dennis Smith JR usually comes across as a genuine sort of person in interviews, so I'm hoping he makes it past this tough phase from a personal and professional standpoint. For now, I'll give him a pass. It's a shame because most reports sounded like he was in the best shape of his life coming into camp and seemed to be primed for a big year.

As fans we tend to be focused solely on performance on the court. But there's a lot that goes on in the lives of players. I sometimes think about the Eddy Curry era on the Knicks, on how he just kind of fell off the map after a surprisingly productive season with the team.

He and his family were bound and robbed at gunpoint at his home in 2007. He bounced back and had the best year of his career.

In the backdrop of his time with the team 2009, his son was murdered by the baby momma's attorney/boyfriend (involved in the child support case). This happened during his age 26 season. The stats show he faded into obscurity following this. Who knows how much this factored into his on-court performance from this point on, because he was never a productive player again in the 5 years he played beyond this incident.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2013-02-13-chi-chicago-attorney-convicted-in-slaying-of-eddy-currys-exgirlfriend-infant-daughter-20130212-story.html

good human post. These guys arent robots. Hopefully this kid is able to find his way through some dark times here and become part of something good
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
11/6/2019  4:32 PM
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/6/2019  5:05 PM
We as fans do some weird assumptions. How do we know he is "Depressed" based on his play before his step mom passed?
As for his conditioning and what we read about losing weight and was in good shape? We don't really know. He looked awful. The Videos of him in scrimmage over the summer? We also read he was not that frequent.
All we know is what we saw. It was not pretty. We do know this kid was suppose to be elite/explosive athlete and he looked anything but.

Stepmom? From what I read her death was sudden.
We all rooting for the kid not because we are sympathetic but for our own entertainment purposes too. There is a limit. For many of us we like Frank cuz of his family story. Dennis is a good story too we want to see finish. Also I want him to help us win!! I won't shyt on Frank and I won't shyt on Dennis. These are good kids trying to fulfill their dreams and sort thru adversity. As long as they are knicks I will root for my guys. Same for Fiz. They are trying their best and want to win as bad if not more than we Monday morning quarterbacks do.

Im sure Dennis has to deal with his family loss and a career a bit derailed. Can't say he is "depressed" because we have not seen him on the court since. I don't think anyone will boo him for a while.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
11/6/2019  5:53 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:

Saw this at work but couldn’t post it. Thanks for posting it. Thought the details were pretty transparent. Death happened after the game where Knick fans booed their own player. Hope he. Takes all the time he needs and comes back healthy and strong.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

11/6/2019  6:50 PM
fishmike wrote:
technomaster wrote:We don't know about the emotional stresses in an anthlete's life. Few details have been shared around the death of DSJ's step mother - whether she passed unexpectedly or whether she had been suffering over a period of time. He could have been distracted by this in training camp through the early part of the season leading to her death.

good human post. These guys arent robots. Hopefully this kid is able to find his way through some dark times here and become part of something good

Seconded. Hard to tell what is going on in Smith's life beyond what we see on the court. On the court I see a player who tries hard at times to shake the ball stopper label. The numbers show he hasnt been thst type of player as a pro.

First and foremost, hope Smith jr, is getting to a better place. When he is physically ready to play regular minutes again, hope Dennis ignores critics and plays his game.

CleaverGreene
Member: #8756

11/6/2019  8:10 PM
Hopefully Garden fans recognize what Smith is going through when he comes back to the court.

Time for the Garden faithful to show some empathy and compassion and build his confidence back up.

There are three classes of men; lovers of wisdom, lovers of honor, and lovers of gain. (Plato)
Chandler
Member: #6197

11/7/2019  11:33 AM
Nalod wrote:We as fans do some weird assumptions. How do we know he is "Depressed" based on his play before his step mom passed?
As for his conditioning and what we read about losing weight and was in good shape? We don't really know. He looked awful. The Videos of him in scrimmage over the summer? We also read he was not that frequent.
All we know is what we saw. It was not pretty. We do know this kid was suppose to be elite/explosive athlete and he looked anything but.

Stepmom? From what I read her death was sudden.
We all rooting for the kid not because we are sympathetic but for our own entertainment purposes too. There is a limit. For many of us we like Frank cuz of his family story. Dennis is a good story too we want to see finish. Also I want him to help us win!! I won't shyt on Frank and I won't shyt on Dennis. These are good kids trying to fulfill their dreams and sort thru adversity. As long as they are knicks I will root for my guys. Same for Fiz. They are trying their best and want to win as bad if not more than we Monday morning quarterbacks do.

Im sure Dennis has to deal with his family loss and a career a bit derailed. Can't say he is "depressed" because we have not seen him on the court since. I don't think anyone will boo him for a while.

I didn't say I know he's depressed. I said suspect

Both in Dallas an in NYK I think he has had extra difficulty dealing with adversity (a symptom -- that alone proves nothing); then there is the body language and facial expressions; and it's far more prevalent than many realize.

If he were suffering from it, a family loss would be that much harder

(5)(5)
GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
11/7/2019  3:19 PM
HE needs time, that is understood. He should get all the time he needs. I hope he can come back and be the player he was in Dallas at least. It would help the team.
Where's Waldo (a.k.a. Dennis Smith)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy