[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The Good News is there Are A Bunch of PGs in the draft
Author Thread
TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

1/7/2020  10:47 PM
Update:
Tyrese Halliburton has now moved into consensus top 5 following 20pt triple double. I've been looking for footage but so far unsuccesful.

Anthony edwards has 16pts right now against Kentucky but his defense has been horrific and he has been abit streaky. Wish hed set up his teammates more.

Nico Mannion and Arizona vs no 9 Oregon this Thursday at 9PM ET.

The Future is Bright!
AUTOADVERT
TPercy

1/7/2020  10:48 PM
Also Lamelo Ball is rumored to be out for two more weeks with foot problems.
The Future is Bright!
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
1/8/2020  3:12 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/8/2020  3:25 AM
TPercy wrote:Update:
Tyrese Halliburton has now moved into consensus top 5 following 20pt triple double. I've been looking for footage but so far unsuccesful.

Anthony edwards has 16pts right now against Kentucky but his defense has been horrific and he has been abit streaky. Wish hed set up his teammates more.

There was a thread about him on another forum, apparently his advance stats are ridiculously good in terms of efficiency

https://www.theringer.com/2019/11/27/20984769/tyrese-haliburton-iowa-state-nba-draft-prospect

Haliburton is the poster child for the type of player who might have slipped through the cracks a generation ago. The advanced numbers tell a very different story about him than his relatively pedestrian traditional stats. Calling him “undervalued” only scratches the surface. He might have been one of the most valuable players in the country last season. The analytical model developed by ESPN’s Kevin Pelton rated Haliburton as the no. 6 prospect in college basketball last season, and the no. 2 prospect this year, behind only UNC freshman Cole Anthony......

...What the model picked up were all the things Haliburton didn’t do on the floor. He rarely missed shots or turned the ball over: He shot 68.5 percent on 2-point field goals and 43.4 percent on 3s and had an assist-to-turnover ratio of 4.5-to-1. A player like that supercharges an offense by spacing the floor and keeping the ball moving, allowing everyone around him to thrive.

Haliburton would have been incredibly valuable for his offensive contributions alone. But he was also a great defender, with an elite steal rate (2.7 percent) and block rate (2.8 percent) for a perimeter player.

The result was a quietly historic season. There is no one else in the Sports-Reference database, which goes back to 1992-93, with a season that combines his offensive efficiency with his defensive numbers. Haliburton is the rare teenager who can dominate a game while rarely touching the ball.

“The day he had 17 assists [a 101-62 win over Southern last December] he was never the dominant ball handler. He was a secondary ball handler. That makes him the perfect fit at the pro level. … It’s about being efficient. It’s a numbers game now,” said Bryan Johnikin, who trains Haliburton and was his AAU coach in high school. “His numbers really are silly. I don’t know what else you want him to do. Even if he had come out last year, his numbers were stupid. They bring up numbers for certain people and the rest is stargazing.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2019/12/15/updated-2020-nba-mock-draft-anthony-edwards-james-wiseman-and-lamelo-ball-rise-to-the-top-of-the-class/

10. San Antonio Spurs: Tyrese Haliburton, PG, Iowa State - Sophomore

After a relatively quiet freshman campaign, Haliburton has exploded onto the national scene as a sophomore. Through the Cyclones' first ten games, he is stuffing the stat sheet to the tune of 16.8 points, 5.9 rebounds, 7.9 assists and 2.5 steals per contest. According to Basketball-Reference, the only NCAA Division 1 underclassman to average at least 16 points, five boards, seven dimes and two steals per game over a full season was Jason Kidd at the University of California in 1993-94.

https://www.si.com/nba/2020/01/07/nba-mock-draft-anthony-edwards-lamelo-ball-james-wiseman

6. Wizards - Tyrese Haliburton, G, Iowa State

Height: 6’5” | Weight: 175 | Age: 19 | Sophomore

Haliburton has been one of college basketball’s breakout stars this season, successfully transitioning into a full time point guard and cementing himself as an obvious lottery talent. There remains some serious trepidation among teams over his ability to create shots for himself, tied to a fledgling pull-up game and unorthodox shooting mechanics, but it’s hard not to notice the pace at which he’s evolved over the past year. There’s more progression in order before he becomes a true, full-time lead guard, and self-creation will never be his primary strength, in contrast to some of his peers. Still, he makes everyone else around him better, has been arguably the most fun college player to watch, and if he can successfully elevate a middling Iowa State team over the next few months, it’ll be hard to ignore what he’s doing. Haliburton might rival LaMelo Ball as the most creative passer in this draft class, and while he struggles at times defending on the ball, he’s a plus team defender with terrific instincts.

Washington is in an intriguing position, with John Wall making massive, potentially untradeable money and set to return from injury next season, and Bradley Beal also now under long-term contract. Haliburton would be an attractive, early-impact option who can fit alongside both guards on a team that may not be too far from a return to playoff contention. Where Haliburton lands in the draft could vary wildly, as teams will value his unique skill set in different ways depending on their own personnel and their belief in his long-term potential. That being said, his he’s far too intelligent to fail completely, which is more than most prospects in this draft have going for them, particularly after the top few players are off the board.

He seems to have very long legs for a PG- is that a good or a bad thing?!

Overall he sounds perfect for us, so lets keep track of him

TPercy

1/8/2020  10:26 AM
smackeddog wrote:

There was a thread about him on another forum, apparently his advance stats are ridiculously good in terms of efficiency

https://www.theringer.com/2019/11/27/20984769/tyrese-haliburton-iowa-state-nba-draft-prospect

Haliburton is the poster child for the type of player who might have slipped through the cracks a generation ago. The advanced numbers tell a very different story about him than his relatively pedestrian traditional stats. Calling him “undervalued” only scratches the surface. He might have been one of the most valuable players in the country last season. The analytical model developed by ESPN’s Kevin Pelton rated Haliburton as the no. 6 prospect in college basketball last season, and the no. 2 prospect this year, behind only UNC freshman Cole Anthony......

...What the model picked up were all the things Haliburton didn’t do on the floor. He rarely missed shots or turned the ball over: He shot 68.5 percent on 2-point field goals and 43.4 percent on 3s and had an assist-to-turnover ratio of 4.5-to-1. A player like that supercharges an offense by spacing the floor and keeping the ball moving, allowing everyone around him to thrive.

Haliburton would have been incredibly valuable for his offensive contributions alone. But he was also a great defender, with an elite steal rate (2.7 percent) and block rate (2.8 percent) for a perimeter player.

The result was a quietly historic season. There is no one else in the Sports-Reference database, which goes back to 1992-93, with a season that combines his offensive efficiency with his defensive numbers. Haliburton is the rare teenager who can dominate a game while rarely touching the ball.

“The day he had 17 assists [a 101-62 win over Southern last December] he was never the dominant ball handler. He was a secondary ball handler. That makes him the perfect fit at the pro level. … It’s about being efficient. It’s a numbers game now,” said Bryan Johnikin, who trains Haliburton and was his AAU coach in high school. “His numbers really are silly. I don’t know what else you want him to do. Even if he had come out last year, his numbers were stupid. They bring up numbers for certain people and the rest is stargazing.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2019/12/15/updated-2020-nba-mock-draft-anthony-edwards-james-wiseman-and-lamelo-ball-rise-to-the-top-of-the-class/

10. San Antonio Spurs: Tyrese Haliburton, PG, Iowa State - Sophomore

After a relatively quiet freshman campaign, Haliburton has exploded onto the national scene as a sophomore. Through the Cyclones' first ten games, he is stuffing the stat sheet to the tune of 16.8 points, 5.9 rebounds, 7.9 assists and 2.5 steals per contest. According to Basketball-Reference, the only NCAA Division 1 underclassman to average at least 16 points, five boards, seven dimes and two steals per game over a full season was Jason Kidd at the University of California in 1993-94.

https://www.si.com/nba/2020/01/07/nba-mock-draft-anthony-edwards-lamelo-ball-james-wiseman

6. Wizards - Tyrese Haliburton, G, Iowa State

Height: 6’5” | Weight: 175 | Age: 19 | Sophomore

Haliburton has been one of college basketball’s breakout stars this season, successfully transitioning into a full time point guard and cementing himself as an obvious lottery talent. There remains some serious trepidation among teams over his ability to create shots for himself, tied to a fledgling pull-up game and unorthodox shooting mechanics, but it’s hard not to notice the pace at which he’s evolved over the past year. There’s more progression in order before he becomes a true, full-time lead guard, and self-creation will never be his primary strength, in contrast to some of his peers. Still, he makes everyone else around him better, has been arguably the most fun college player to watch, and if he can successfully elevate a middling Iowa State team over the next few months, it’ll be hard to ignore what he’s doing. Haliburton might rival LaMelo Ball as the most creative passer in this draft class, and while he struggles at times defending on the ball, he’s a plus team defender with terrific instincts.

Washington is in an intriguing position, with John Wall making massive, potentially untradeable money and set to return from injury next season, and Bradley Beal also now under long-term contract. Haliburton would be an attractive, early-impact option who can fit alongside both guards on a team that may not be too far from a return to playoff contention. Where Haliburton lands in the draft could vary wildly, as teams will value his unique skill set in different ways depending on their own personnel and their belief in his long-term potential. That being said, his he’s far too intelligent to fail completely, which is more than most prospects in this draft have going for them, particularly after the top few players are off the board.

He seems to have very long legs for a PG- is that a good or a bad thing?!

Overall he sounds perfect for us, so lets keep track of him

Yeah I was very skeptical at first and I am still a little given his weird jump shot but he is such a fascinating player. He isn’t even a primary ball handler which makes me think he can also slide in at the 2. Imagine if Frank could pan out as an NBA starter and having to deal with these two on defense. We’d be insane. The only thing is that I don’t think he would be the main man so we’d have to wait till the next draft unless something nice happens in FA

The Future is Bright!
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/8/2020  11:17 AM

For whatever reason I have been keeping an eye on this guy recently and I like him for the Knicks. Long, can shoot, defender, passes the ball very well.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
martin
USA
1/12/2020  2:17 PM
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/13/2020  5:05 PM
Short shorts. Looks longer. LOL

Full 18 months younger than our washed up Frank. Frank never looked like that because he was in the NBA at 18.
Haliburtan looks athletic and for sure and interesting player. Take beast player available.

TPercy

1/26/2020  11:43 AM
martin wrote:

For whatever reason I have been keeping an eye on this guy recently and I like him for the Knicks. Long, can shoot, defender, passes the ball very well.

I too like him as BPA for us. just sucks because I was hoping for that Goto guy in the draft but too many red flags. Tyrese could be a really good long term starter though.
The Future is Bright!
TPercy

1/26/2020  11:48 AM
Update:
Haliburton played 40 mins in a loss to Auburn. 12 pts 3 asts.

No definite update on Cole Anthony's return. With tourney round the corner you wonder if you are ever going to see him.

Lamelo Ball won't be returning

Anthony Edwards has been very poor as of late.

Georgia freshman Anthony Edwards continued his struggles with 13 points on 3-of-12 shooting. Ten of Edwards’ attempts came from behind the arc, his inability to get to the rim out of the half court offense surfacing once again.
The Future is Bright!
TPercy

1/26/2020  11:55 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/26/2020  11:56 AM

Killian Hayes is a guy to keep tabs on. Averaging 13 and 6 against grown men in the Euroleague. Shooting 40% from 3. Dosen't really get to line much tho. Anyone heard anything about his defense?

The Future is Bright!
smackeddog
Member: #883
1/26/2020  12:09 PM
TPercy wrote:
martin wrote:

I too like him as BPA for us. just sucks because I was hoping for that Goto guy in the draft but too many red flags. Tyrese could be a really good long term starter though.

Come to us, you long legged PG beauty

martin
USA
1/26/2020  1:27 PM

No definite update on Cole Anthony's return. With tourney round the corner you wonder if you are ever going to see him.

Georgia freshman Anthony Edwards continued his struggles with 13 points on 3-of-12 shooting. Ten of Edwards’ attempts came from behind the arc, his inability to get to the rim out of the half court offense surfacing once again.

Ugh all around.

I don’t really follow college ball so the scouting report on Anthony Edwards is always confusing to me: Uber athletic, shooting form that scouts love... and yet horrible stats. Reminds me of Cam Reddish.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
1/26/2020  2:25 PM
martin wrote:

Ugh all around.

I don’t really follow college ball so the scouting report on Anthony Edwards is always confusing to me: Uber athletic, shooting form that scouts love... and yet horrible stats. Reminds me of Cam Reddish.

That’s very accurate. My concern is does he do anything at an elite level ?

martin
USA
1/26/2020  2:44 PM
Knixkik wrote:
martin wrote:

Ugh all around.

Draw scouting attention because of potential?

rpknicks
Member: #6003

1/26/2020  11:22 PM
Queue the BPA cliche.

Other than barrett, we don't have a guard that we absolutely need to see more of next season. I 'd like to extend frank on a reasonable contract that matches his D and his bench role going forward, otherwise he's gets put into the Payton , Trier and DSJ crowd, who can all roll. D-dot on a cheap short termer.

All that being said, it is still not a must that knicks go PG in 2020. We will be likely be picking too high to draft another backup or questionable project. All of the 2020 draft PG's look a little iffy at this point, for one reason or the other, with some time to prove otherwise. If i had to pick today, it would still be Cole anthony but mannion and halliburton are intriguing. It would talk a monumental shift for me to warm to Ball. Still, 2021 seems to look A LOT stronger in this particular area, actually the whole lottery looks solid.

I just want rewind to the kevin knox pick. We felt we needed a SF and made, what was at that time, a somewhat bold move to pass on the bridges boys. That may turn out to be the right call but all 3 may struggle to get much more than a down market 2nd contract. More importantly, lost in all that debate was not seeing the better player, which turned out to be Shai.

Fast forward to 2020, where else are the intriguing players regardless of position?

Obi toppin is the stock i'm ready to buy. I m sure other people have other guys in mind and we have to keep staying open and not getting tunnel vision.

What i like about Toppin is that he's not a teenage project, and he gives us a mobile high energy 4, who can shoot, and is not a defensive liability. Yeah, those guys are less valuable in the nba than they used to be, but let's not just use that as the main reason to talk ourselves into a PG that doesn't move the needle.

Nor can we allow the 'knicks fetish for Power forward reaches new heights" headlines dissuade us. If we trade morris, Toppin makes even more sense. If not, i still don't think we can honestly say any of the other FA power forwards we signed are part of the knicks big picture. All will be gone by 2022 and likely a lot sooner.

I m really thinking how mr 2020 draft pick fits with mitch and barrett and a likely 2021 lead ball- handler and I just like what I see from obi.

martin
USA
1/27/2020  11:08 AM
rpknicks wrote:Queue the BPA cliche.

Other than barrett, we don't have a guard that we absolutely need to see more of next season. I 'd like to extend frank on a reasonable contract that matches his D and his bench role going forward, otherwise he's gets put into the Payton , Trier and DSJ crowd, who can all roll. D-dot on a cheap short termer.

All that being said, it is still not a must that knicks go PG in 2020. We will be likely be picking too high to draft another backup or questionable project. All of the 2020 draft PG's look a little iffy at this point, for one reason or the other, with some time to prove otherwise. If i had to pick today, it would still be Cole anthony but mannion and halliburton are intriguing. It would talk a monumental shift for me to warm to Ball. Still, 2021 seems to look A LOT stronger in this particular area, actually the whole lottery looks solid.

I just want rewind to the kevin knox pick. We felt we needed a SF and made, what was at that time, a somewhat bold move to pass on the bridges boys. That may turn out to be the right call but all 3 may struggle to get much more than a down market 2nd contract. More importantly, lost in all that debate was not seeing the better player, which turned out to be Shai.

Fast forward to 2020, where else are the intriguing players regardless of position?

Obi toppin is the stock i'm ready to buy. I m sure other people have other guys in mind and we have to keep staying open and not getting tunnel vision.

What i like about Toppin is that he's not a teenage project, and he gives us a mobile high energy 4, who can shoot, and is not a defensive liability. Yeah, those guys are less valuable in the nba than they used to be, but let's not just use that as the main reason to talk ourselves into a PG that doesn't move the needle.

Nor can we allow the 'knicks fetish for Power forward reaches new heights" headlines dissuade us. If we trade morris, Toppin makes even more sense. If not, i still don't think we can honestly say any of the other FA power forwards we signed are part of the knicks big picture. All will be gone by 2022 and likely a lot sooner.

I m really thinking how mr 2020 draft pick fits with mitch and barrett and a likely 2021 lead ball- handler and I just like what I see from obi.

So holy crap, this guy is older than RJ, Knox, Iggy, Frank and Mitch. Only a couple months younger than DSJr.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

1/27/2020  11:55 AM
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
BigDaddyG

1/27/2020  12:01 PM
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
BigDaddyG

1/27/2020  12:15 PM
martin wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
martin wrote:

Ugh all around.

Draw scouting attention because of potential?

There are a couple of differences. Edwards has actually showed periods of dominance in college. Can line season at Duke can be described as middling overall. Also, Edwards has a much higher usage than Cam and still has managed to have a higher TS%. His TS% isn't great, but considering he's the focal point of the offense as a freshman, it doesn't freak me out as much. His three ball is a little worrisome. Edwards was described as having a J that's more streaky than pure. He started off hot and people thought this meant he gained more consistency, but he's fallen back now. His shot selection has probably played a huge role as well. I think I get more RJ vibes than I do Cam.
TPercy

1/27/2020  12:37 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:

I like Cole, but my issue with him is that what we've seen of him isn't good enough coupled with his injury concerns. If he can come back and show that he can make his teammates better along with improving his shooting #s a bit then I'm sold but right now I see a rich mans DSJ.

The Future is Bright!
The Good News is there Are A Bunch of PGs in the draft

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy