[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Allan houston article sounds promising
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
9/29/2004  6:15 PM
really does sound like he is better situated to play 6th man. Id rather have H2O play 25-28 minutes a night and keep injury free.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-knicks-houston&prov=ap&type=lgns
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
9/29/2004  7:07 PM
really does sound like he is better situated to play 6th man.
I've been saying that for several months now
teslawlo
Member: #699
USA
9/29/2004  7:08 PM
I sincerely believe that Mr. Houston is just being smart. I believe he can still play 30-35 minutes a game for 80 games by november-decemberish because he is a smart guy who knows his body. No longer pushed to recover by Chaney and striving to carry the load, he finally is in his right spot: an excellent 2nd or 3rd option. This is great news and I truly think that Houston will be injury-free this year after being so cautious.
I trust this guy's judgement; he actually has shown some intelligence before, unlike many other NBA players.
http://allknicks.com
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

9/29/2004  8:15 PM
Why should Houston play more than 30 minutes?

Just having Jamal Crawford makes him the sixth man. Jamal had a terrible shooting percentage last year. Beyond that Crawford is one of the most physically gifted players in the league. The dude is 6'5" and quicker than most guys 5" shorter. His handle is one of the best in the world. He can be a lethal scorer. You must make a team effort to contain this type of talent.

Houston is a jump shooter......let me tell you something. Ask any coach. How do you defend a jumpshooter? You never double team a jump shooter. You put your tallest player you can on them at that position and you tell them to make them put it on the floor.

This in a nutshell is why you bench Houston......Houston still deserves 25-28 minutes per. Once he's on the floor they should be looking for him. He no longer should be the primary focus in the offense.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
matt
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #487
USA
9/29/2004  9:11 PM
"Just having Jamal Crawford makes him the sixth man. Jamal had a terrible shooting percentage last year. Beyond that Crawford is one of the most physically gifted players in the league. The dude is 6'5" and quicker than most guys 5" shorter. His handle is one of the best in the world. He can be a lethal scorer. You must make a team effort to contain this type of talent."

I think your overratting him a bit but good point
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
9/29/2004  10:07 PM
Posted by matt:

I think your overratting him a bit but good point
I dont think he is over rating Craw at all. He is really gifted and extremely quick. He does have a mad handle and can score every night. Just watch our back court operate at 200mph this year. They are going to be faster than the St. Louis Rams of 1999
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
9/29/2004  10:07 PM
Posted by EnySpree:

Just having Jamal Crawford makes him the sixth man. Jamal had a terrible shooting percentage last year. Beyond that Crawford is one of the most physically gifted players in the league. The dude is 6'5" and quicker than most guys 5" shorter. His handle is one of the best in the world. He can be a lethal scorer. You must make a team effort to contain this type of talent.

Houston is a jump shooter......let me tell you something. Ask any coach. How do you defend a jumpshooter? You never double team a jump shooter. You put your tallest player you can on them at that position and you tell them to make them put it on the floor.

This in a nutshell is why you bench Houston......Houston still deserves 25-28 minutes per. Once he's on the floor they should be looking for him. He no longer should be the primary focus in the offense.
good post.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
teslawlo
Member: #699
USA
9/29/2004  10:10 PM
Well, we'll see what happens but my bet is Lenny will hand the 2 guard spot to Allan by default. I think it's good that we actually have a conflict between choosing one of 2 sg's to start. Maybe against quicker teams we choose Jamal and to break zones and slow halfcourt sets we use Houston?
http://allknicks.com
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
9/29/2004  10:17 PM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-spknix0930,0,2337755.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

Houston takes it slow
Has no timetable for return from knee pain as he tries not to repeat his mistake last year of overdoing it early

BY GREG LOGAN
STAFF WRITER

September 30, 2004

The last vision of Allan Houston on a basketball court in public was a painful sight indeed. Compelled by the pressure of a playoff race to test his injured knees, Houston limped around for the first eight minutes of a game against Toronto on March 26 at Madison Square Garden, made 1 of 2 shots, then called it a season when it became obvious he couldn't move well enough to continue.

Six months later, Houston yesterday said: "I feel stronger than I've been in a long time. I just want to be cautious. I don't want to go out and really strain myself."

After a summer of rehabilitation, the only thing the former All-Star shooting guard can promise is that he won't rush back before he's ready. He hasn't scrimmaged, probably won't do much during training camp next week in Charleston, S.C., and can't say whether he will play in any exhibition games, but Houston hopes to make it back for the Nov. 3 opener at Minnesota.

Houston delivered this "progress" report after an appearance at a clinic at P.S. 28 in Harlem, and it was impossible not to wonder if he could get up and down the court as quickly as some of the elementary school kids in attendance.

After fending off all attempts to pin him down to a timetable for his return, Houston looked with some bemusement at reporters and said: "I get a sense you guys think I'm in the same place. I'm very far from that, but I'm just going to be very careful. The reality is there's no point in me going out right now and overdoing it."

In 20/20 hindsight, Houston, 33, believes he missed a career-high 32 games last season because he pushed himself to come back too soon from micro.fracture surgery on his left knee in June 2003. He played 49 minutes in the opening overtime loss to Orlando and at least 41 minutes in seven of the first nine games. It was a .mistake.

"I've had a lot of time to think about it," he said. "I look back at those minutes against Orlando in the first game; I started getting on the court a week before training camp when I didn't feel as good as I feel now, and from training camp on, it was bothering me. I dealt with it, and I played through it. It was stupid.

"I feel like the start of the season set the tone for me, and I want to make sure my start [this season] is stronger than it's been in a long time. I just want to be sure."

Houston played 41 of the first 47 games last .season, but the effort to compensate for the pain in his right knee caused him to develop problems with his left knee. He played hurt in a futile effort to save coach Don Chaney's job, but it left him so beaten up that he was able to play only 21 games with point guard Stephon Marbury after he was acquired in a midseason trade, and Houston missed the playoffs.

Over the summer, Knicks president Isiah Thomas traded for combination guard Jamal Crawford, who not only can back up Marbury but also can start in place of Houston if he's not healthy. The move fueled speculation about Houston being pushed to the bench, but he's not concerned about that. Nor should he be. Houston is the Knicks' only dependable outside shooter.

If he was bothered by criticism he heard on radio talk shows last season from fans who forgot he missed only 19 games in 10 previous seasons, Houston has reached a point where he's determined to listen only to what his body is telling him.

"What I need is to be strong and healthy," Houston said. "That's all I'm thinking about right now. I'm not trying to be selfish, but I'm trying to be smart."
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/29/2004  11:01 PM
There is plenty of minutes to go around. Lets not annoint Craw anything just yet. He has much to learn still.

I also think we should reduce Marbs min to 35-38. This will keep him fresh. If craw is anygood, he should hold the point for 10min with Allen per nite.

Allan still avged over 18pts last year, and he was hurt all year. I hope we are all premature in writing him off so fast.

Moochie looms if he can't play! Ahhhhhhhhhhh!
Nalod
USA
9/29/2004  11:02 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

Damm briggs, you been riding Bonn's coat tails for severl months now! Shameful, just shameful!
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
9/30/2004  12:29 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/30/sports/basketball/30knicks.html

September 30, 2004
Knicks' Houston Proceeding With Caution
By HOWARD BECK

Allan Houston could have gone the bravado route, proclaimed himself fit and guaranteed a full 82-game season for his much-scrutinized knees. For an antsy Knicks fan base, and a hopeful front office, those would have been welcome assurances.

But Houston tried that approach once - choosing aggression instead of prudence - and the result was the most painful and disappointing season of his career. It is a course he would rather not travel again.

So when he sat down with reporters yesterday for the first time in two months, after a summer spent dutifully reconditioning his body, Houston let the optimism flow but tempered his bright smile with words of caution.

Indeed, he invoked the word cautious six times in 15 minutes.

Houston, 33, offered his assessment after giving a basketball clinic for 40 fourth and fifth graders at Public School 28 in Washington Heights. The event was orchestrated by the school and the Community League of the Heights.

"I'm really happy about where I am," Houston said of his physical condition, "because a lot of the first part of the summer, it was really kind of slow. And it seems like lately it's kind of picked up. I've gotten stronger, and I'm just not really pressed like I was last year to do something if I'm not really ready to."

"I feel stronger than I've been in a long time," Houston added. "My body just feels good."

What that portends for the next few weeks and the coming months, Houston could not say. He figures to take it easy when training camp opens Tuesday in Charleston, S.C., and he would not predict how many preseason games he would play next month.

He called playing in the Nov. 3 season opener at Minnesota a realistic goal, but also said, "I don't think anything's a lock."

If the playoffs began tomorrow, Houston said he could play, but it was clear he would not rush into anything.

There is good reason for his sudden embrace of patience and caution. A year ago, three months after undergoing surgery on his right knee, Houston rushed himself back into service and soon regretted it. Forced to overcompensate for a still-weak right knee, Houston had troubles with his back and his left knee and missed 30 games. He had missed only 10 games because of injury or illness in his previous seven seasons with the Knicks.

"From training camp on, it was just bothering me," Houston, the Knicks' captain, said. "I just dealt with it and I played through it. And it was really, it was stupid."

Now 15 months removed from surgery, Houston said he was far healthier now than he was at this time last year. There is also less pressure for him to lead the Knicks offense.

Stephon Marbury's arrival in a January trade gave the team another 20-point scorer. The Knicks picked up another gifted scorer, Jamal Crawford, this summer, giving them an insurance policy on Houston's health and, in the best-case scenario, a dependable third option in Coach Lenny Wilkens's guard rotation.

"I just don't want to do what I did last year and just try to overdo it too soon," Houston said. "I've done a lot of long, hard work to get to where I am. And there's no reason to go out and get ahead of myself right now. It's just so early. So I'm just cautious."

Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
9/30/2004  12:30 AM
Posted by Nalod:
Posted by Bonn1997:

Damm briggs, you been riding Bonn's coat tails for severl months now! Shameful, just shameful!

Perhaps it was a simultaneous cognition.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
9/30/2004  8:38 AM
from the daily news:
Houston regrets starting last season on the active roster when, in his mind, he wasn't ready to play. After having arthroscopic surgery on his right knee on June 10, 2003, Houston missed the entire preseason then played 49 minutes in the opening-night overtime loss to Orlando.

"And it was stupid," Houston said. "To me, I felt the start of the season set the tone for the whole year for me. And I want to make sure my start is stronger than it's been in a long time, and it's very close to doing that. I just want to be surer than sure, that's all."

don chaney is the BEST...
Nalod
USA
9/30/2004  8:53 AM
can't just blame Gone Chaney. Allan gets paid 20mil to play hurt. He thought he could do it, and he did. Hind site is 20-20.

I think its a Dolan-Laydog-Chaney decision to play him, and Allan knows why he gets paid the big bucks.

Its nice we have altrnatives this year and not have to rely on just H20!
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
9/30/2004  8:59 AM
yEAH, I was just about to say the same thing. This dude got it down.

Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by EnySpree:

good post.
The true Knickabocker..........
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
9/30/2004  9:02 AM
Posted by Nalod:

can't just blame Gone Chaney. Allan gets paid 20mil to play hurt. He thought he could do it, and he did. Hind site is 20-20.

I think its a Dolan-Laydog-Chaney decision to play him, and Allan knows why he gets paid the big bucks.

don't agree. chaney was playing him to save his job. a lot of high money players were eased back from an injury, even coming off the bench. webber, duncan, to name a few. you think h20 would've said anything if they told him he'd come off the bench or play just 20-25 mins at the start of the season? it's ENTIRELY chaney/layden's fault.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
9/30/2004  9:19 AM
Houston playing hurt was probably a combo of all things

his big salary, Chaney, Layden and Cablevision bigs not wanting to miss the play offs

Plus- Houston probably thought he could do it, but didn't realize his body was 33 years old and didn't have the limber it did when he was 28.

If he isn't ready in training camp to go all out, and it kinda seems as though he won't be, he shouldn't start- its that simple and it has nothing to do with whether Jamal is better- if you're not in shape in the start of camp, you're not going to be in shape for the start of the season. And again, at 33, it takes a lot longer to get conditioning back...
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
9/30/2004  10:08 AM
You never double team a jump shooter. You put your tallest player you can on them at that position and you tell them to make them put it on the floor.

Thats ridiculous, leathal Jumpshooters like Al, Jordan, Reggie, starks, can shoot over anyone 6 10" and shorter. how many times you see coach's try putting the tallest defender on Al and he still shoots right over them, or pump fakes them into a foul.

When Hou drop that 50pt blast on the lakers ( 80% jumpers) phil had the entire team ( except shaq) take a shot at guarding him to no avail.

So I'm not understanding his point, Especially when your talking about a shooter who's one ( if not the best) in the business today.
ES
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
9/30/2004  10:29 AM
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by Nalod:

don't agree. chaney was playing him to save his job. a lot of high money players were eased back from an injury, even coming off the bench. webber, duncan, to name a few. you think h20 would've said anything if they told him he'd come off the bench or play just 20-25 mins at the start of the season? it's ENTIRELY chaney/layden's fault.

I completely agree that Chaney was out to save his own neck at all costs. He did the same damn thing with Dyess! I know there's pressure to win here, but the reality is at the beginning of last season the Knicks had 4 years and $77 million invested in Houston and rushing him back was short sighted in light of that investment. Chaney and Layden operated like scared kids who knew if their parents found the mess they made they'd be grounded. Isiah has created an environment where you're accountable but also one that doesn't turn on the players.
¿ △ ?
Allan houston article sounds promising

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy