[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

DJ Scott Muni died
Author Thread
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
9/29/2004  5:14 PM
I grew up listening to him on WNEW.He was one of the best.RIP.

http://www.wnbc.com/news/3769976/detail.html

NEW YORK -- Disc jockey Scott Muni, the gravelly-voiced radio host whose encyclopedic knowledge of rock 'n' roll made him "The Professor" to three generations of New York listeners, died Tuesday night. He was 74.

Muni, who spent nearly 50 years on air in the nation's No. 1 radio market, had suffered a stroke earlier this year. But the cause of his death was not immediately known, said Josefa Paganuzzi, spokeswoman for Clear Channel New York.

Muni's last gig was an hour-long afternoon show on New York classic rock station Q104.3, where he landed in 1998. He also hosted many nationally syndicated programs during his career, including "Scott Muni's World of Rock" and the Beatles-oriented "Ticket to Ride."

His acclaimed work and lifelong devotion to music eventually led to Muni's inclusion in an exhibit on radio personalities at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.

Muni's voice was instantly recognizable, a low rumble announcing the latest tunes from the Beatles to Bruce Springsteen to Pearl Jam. As the program director at WNEW-FM, he was one of the leading acolytes of the freeform radio movement and became a major influence on the next wave of DJs.

Known to his listeners as "The Professor" or "Scottso," Muni was renowned for his interviews with artists like Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger, Pete Townsend and Bruce Springsteen.

In one of his more memorable encounters, Muni was speaking with Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page when the musician suddenly collapsed to the floor in mid-sentence, wiped out by days of partying. The unflappable Muni simply put on a record, woke Page up, and conducted the rest of the interview with the guitarist lying on the studio floor.

Muni was a die-hard fan of Bob Dylan and the Beatles; after the December 1980 murder of John Lennon, the DJ began opening his shows with a Beatles song.

"I did it all," Muni once said when asked about the one thing he wanted to do before dying. "Some I did more than once."

Muni was born in Wichita, Kan., and raised in New Orleans. His broadcasting career started in the Marines, where he could be heard on "Radio Guam" reading "Dear John" letters sent to his fellow servicemen.

Back in the U.S., he replaced Alan Freed in Akron before arriving in New York City in the late '50s as one of WMCA-AM's "Good Guys," serving up Top 40 fare. He switched to rival WABC-AM in 1960, spending four years during the heart of Beatlemania.

But it was when he switched over to the new world of FM that Muni found his perfect place on the radio dial. He arrived at WNEW in 1967, helping create one of the nation's first and longest-lasting alternative stations.

In addition to his radio work, the distinctive Muni voice asked "How do you spell relief?" in a memorable Rolaids commercial; he also did promotional announcements for ABC's "Monday Night Football."

There was no immediate word on a memorial service, but Clear Channel-owned Q104.3 planned a weekend-long tribute to Muni featuring the music of the Beatles. He is survived by his second wife and five children.
AUTOADVERT
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
9/29/2004  6:12 PM
I dunno him but RIP DJ Muni
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/29/2004  11:14 PM
Thanks for that note!

I also remember him in the late 1970s and 1980s at Wnew! He was the man!

Some Djs are just a part of the sound track of our lives, especially growing up. we all associate some songs with certain girls, moments, etc.

Late night, good buzz, melo drive home from the city, Scottso on the box..................sweet honey under my arm..........life was ok back then too.

RIP dude..........."andif there theres a rock'n roll heaven,then you know there be a hell of a band"
DJ Scott Muni died

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy