Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
9/29/2004  2:41 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/31063.htm

ISIAH STILL SIZIN' IT UP

By MARC BERMAN

September 29, 2004 -- Knicks president Isiah Thomas is stockpiling big men and will add 6-foot-11 Mengke Bateer to the preseason roster on Monday, The Post has learned.

Also being invited to training camp is Andre Barrett, the 5-10 point guard from Seton Hall, who played for the Knicks' summer-league team in Long Beach. The Knicks' seven-day boot camp in Charleston, S.C., begins on Tuesday.

Thomas is adding Bateer, a Chinese journeyman joining his sixth team in three years, even though he already has the maximum 15 guaranteed contracts, besides Bateer and Barrett.

Thomas is also continuing to shop Kurt Thomas — who's not athletic enough for Isiah's liking. If Thomas is traded, Knicks brass would have no problem starting a frontcourt tandem of Nazr Mohammed and Vin Baker, who's coming off surgery to correct a rapid heartbeat that's gone undetected for several years. A muscular Michael Sweetney, the Knicks' summer-league star, could also vie for the starting power forward job.

Meanwhile, Allan Houston is expected to discuss the rehab status of his arthritic knees at a Harlem school appearance today.
AUTOADVERT
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
9/29/2004  3:37 AM
to be honnest, I still don't see who could bring us equal value for KT, as he has a reasonnable contract and is definitly usefull to us in some areas we suffer the most (d, rebounding).

djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
9/29/2004  9:52 AM
Posted by raven:

to be honnest, I still don't see who could bring us equal value for KT, as he has a reasonnable contract and is definitly usefull to us in some areas we suffer the most (d, rebounding).

i don't think it's about who, but more about moving him to open up that spot for sweetney. i think if sweetney comes into camp plays his *** off, isiah will do whatever it takes to move kurt, even for a player we can't really use. i just hope he gets a pick out of it. his best chance may be to move kurt during the season to a team that needs some frontcourt depth for the playoffs. too bad miami doesn't have any players contract wise that match up b/c they would be a good trading partner.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
9/29/2004  10:21 AM
KT & Moochie for Alan Henderson (expiring contract) & Didier Ilunga-Mbenga

http://www.hoopshype.com/players/didier_ilunga_mbenga.htm
Didier Ilunga-Mbenga - Dallas Mavericks
Position: C
Born: 12/30/80
Height: 7-0 / 2,13
Weight: 220 lbs. / 99,8 kg.

A prospect... Very long... Very good shot blocker... Runs the floor well... No offensive game.

sounds like a Keon Clark type player...could be a good role player someday, & we need athletic players who can run the floor, not slowfooted PF's who are taking up minutes that other, more talented & younger players like Sweetney could be getting instead.

[Edited by - TMS on 09/29/2004 10:27:53]
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
9/29/2004  10:21 AM
this is why i questioned the signing of kurt in the first place. lets think of basic economics--if you don't like something--don't buy it. not only did we buy it, we paid A LOT fo it! now his contract is not unreasonable[its a little high--should be 5mm per max] but the thing i dont get is why didnt we NOT sign him--and if KT found a spot on a different club--THEN we couldve potentially signed and traded him for an asset. you dont spend 30mm$ just so you have the right to hold on to something--especially if you dont really want it! if KT walked for NOTHING would this club really be worse off right now? maybe a little
RIP Crushalot😞
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
9/29/2004  10:29 AM
briggs, i agree. maybe isiah wasn't sure what he had in sweetney yet and since we weren't able to just outright sign a free agent he figured re-signing kurt would still give him a serviceable player and someone he can trade. i just don't know why his trade value seems to be so low. i mean, he's not great, but he is serviceable and considering the deals adonal foyle and cardinal got, kurt is a downright bargain.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
9/29/2004  10:40 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:

this is why i questioned the signing of kurt in the first place. lets think of basic economics--if you don't like something--don't buy it. not only did we buy it, we paid A LOT fo it! now his contract is not unreasonable[its a little high--should be 5mm per max] but the thing i dont get is why didnt we NOT sign him--and if KT found a spot on a different club--THEN we couldve potentially signed and traded him for an asset. you dont spend 30mm$ just so you have the right to hold on to something--especially if you dont really want it! if KT walked for NOTHING would this club really be worse off right now? maybe a little
Yes, it's always worse to lose a player (esp. one who can still contribute) for nothing than to keep him and let him contribute
raven
Member: #316
Canada
9/29/2004  10:42 AM
com'on guys. kurt is cheap by nowadays standards. And i don't see a team that would rather have adonal foyle instead of KT.

he's a solid roleplayer, that a lot of good teams would dream to have.

my point is we should somehow trade him to a team that could help us build the future. I don't have any ideas but for me, trading KT should net us :
- either a promising young prospect even if he's far from being ready to contribute
- or a shot at a high draft pick.

don't phoenix still have the bulls pick ? what about setting something with them ? or with the clipps, i dunno.

anybody's got an idea about that ?

getting rid of KT just for creating space for sweetney is throwing money through the window imo.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
9/29/2004  10:53 AM
The problem with trading is as simple as this, IT is trying to create a package of Kurt and either Anderson or MOochie. No team around the league is crazy enough to do this deal, unless if they have a highprice player that they are trying to get rid off. However, as hard as it looks right now, things will definitely be much better as the season goes along. Teams will endure injuries and specially at the PF position. All Isiah has to do is be patient, he needs to let teams come at him instead of him trying to look for a deal. There are a lot of teams around the league who wants Kurt, they may not want to offer a deal for him right now, but by mid-season they will all show their faces. If Popeyes Jones can find a home in this league, Kurt can also.
The true Knickabocker..........
TMS
USA
9/29/2004  10:55 AM
raven, you didn't like my trade idea i posted above? we would get a decent prospect for the future, & we would get a tradeable expiring deal to use at the trade deadline & unload both KT & Moochie's contracts at the same time.

you can't hope for much better imo...if anyone here expects some team to give up a lottery pick or great young talent for KT in a trade, they need to get a reality check...KT just doesn't have that much value to other teams that they would be willing to give up alot to get him.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Bizzy211
Member: #601
USA
9/29/2004  11:33 AM
It seems like we should've kept McDyese and got rid of Thomas.....
Bizzy Shadyville, NY **soundcloud.com/Bizzy211**
TMS
USA
9/29/2004  11:38 AM
we were right in getting rid of McDyess...i wouldn't want him either at this point...i want Sweetney to get the chance to start & see what he's got...JYD & Baker are fully capable of handling the backup PG duties...we don't need Kurt Thomas, because this team isn't going to contend for a title anyway...we need to see if Sweetney can be the player we need in the frontcourt for the next 10 years...that's not going to happen if we have guys like KT & McDyess taking up minutes that could otherwise go to Sweetney to help in his development & growth.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
9/29/2004  12:20 PM
JYD & Baker are fully capable of handling the backup PG duties...

I am sure opposing teams and their fans would be highly entertained while watching Jerome Williams and Vin Baker split the backup point guard duties.

Seriously though, none of us truely know if Sweetney can handle the starting PF spot yet. He may still be prone to immediate foul trouble like he was that one game against Denver last season. It's not just about your physical attributes and your skills. It's all about the mentality, and Sweets may not be ready. If that's the case, then I am perfectly fine with dirty Kurty and Nazr or Baker starting at c and PF, with sweetney, jyd and co. on the bench.

If Sweetney is ready though, then by all means, throw him into the starting rotation. He probably still needs to be eased into it though.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Allanfan20
USA
9/29/2004  12:21 PM
Meanwhile, Allan Houston is expected to discuss the rehab status of his arthritic knees at a Harlem school appearance today.

I'm surprised nobody has brought that up in this thread. Perhaps it's worthy of it's own thread? I'm very anxious yet nervous about what he has to say.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
TMS
USA
9/29/2004  12:22 PM
lol...spell checks are not my thing.

A-fan, the problem is (one that i have been trying to point out for the longest), there are some Knicks fans who think we can get a top young prospect or high draft pick for him in a trade...that's dreaming of things that just won't happen...the Knicks would be lucky to be able to trade him for an expiring contract at this point & even a late 1st round pick, if not a 2nd rounder...i've said that time & time again only to be told of KT's overwhelming value to this team.

i'm not denying that KT is a solid role player & a good player to have if you need a stopgap solution at PF...but Mike Sweetney is the PF of the future, or so he is hyped up to be...i'd like to see him get the chance to start & see what he's made of...having KT here only delays that imho...i know all about Isiah's willingness to play younger players, but it would be alot easier for him to make that move if he had to choose between Sweetney & JYD or Baker than Sweetney & KT...as it is, Baker could quite possibly become the starting PF if the Knicks traded KT, which makes Sweetney the primary backup...but if you have KT here, you then have a logjam at the backup PF position & everyone has to jockey for limited minutes...

this is how i want to see the rotation going next year if a KT/Moochie trade is made:

C - Nazr / Baker / Bateer
PF - Sweetney / Baker / JYD
SF - TT / Penny / Ariza
SG - Houston / Crawford / Ariza
PG - Marbury / Crawford / Bremer
IR - Shandon / Barrett / Sundov or whoever comes over in the KT trade

i don't see how adding KT to that rotation makes them a significantly better team...but on the other hand, that rotation looks younger & more athletic, 2 things that Isiah has been saying all along that he wanted to achieve ever since he got here.

[Edited by - TMS on 09/29/2004 12:25:27]
Allanfan20
USA
9/29/2004  12:27 PM
All good points, but what if Vin Baker doesn't work out at all? Then we are pretty weak if we don't have him and Kurt Thomas.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
9/29/2004  12:29 PM
One thing a noticed about Kurt last year... there was a stretch where he was really playing at a high level and it was because nothing was expected out of him. He was the 4th or even 5th scoring option. He had no responsibility except to play hard D, hustle after loose balls and hit an occasional 15 footer which he would be wide open for. I remember his #s being very modest during this stretch but the team player very well.

I think people got caught up over Kurt's production at center the last couple years. I think the less productive he is the better.. what we really need from him is the intangibles and if he's playing with 3 athletic wing players in TT/Marb/Craw and an active body like Nazr he's going to be very effective.

That being said I still think moving him and giving Sweetney the minutes is the best move going forward and in the long term. In the short term I think KT can and will be valueable to this team, but he's also the type of player we just need to move away from.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
TMS
USA
9/29/2004  12:35 PM
Posted by Allanfan20:

All good points, but what if Vin Baker doesn't work out at all? Then we are pretty weak if we don't have him and Kurt Thomas.

i have complete faith that JYD will be durable & will be a fine backup at PF if need be...i wouldn't even be worried about the PF position...i would be worried about the C position, but i'm worried about it now anyway as this roster currently stands...if Vin Baker doesn't work out, we're screwed there either way if KT is here or not imo...i'd do that KT for Kandi trade posted by someone else earlier if it were on the table to address this issue.
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
9/29/2004  1:02 PM
If KT isnt traded at least we know that he should be easier to move next season in a package including one or more of the expiring contracts.Its not like we have another shandon anderson who is just taking up cap space and bench space.At least KT contributes.

There is going to be alot of competition for the starting PF position which should bring out the best in all of them.
Knick notes: Barrett invited to camp; Isiah is still shopping Kurt Thomas

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy