Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/21/2020  9:58 AM
KnickDanger wrote:
wargames wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
Nalod wrote:Lakers were Dumpster fire until Lebron showed up. The took Ball over jayson Tatum. Let Randle and BroPez walk. He signed with Milwaukee for 3.5 mil!! Still they had enough got make a deal for AD and in short order a chip all because Lebron wanted to live in LA and not be a Clipper.
Some franchises do bad and get lucky. We do bad and get unlucky to boot! We are the chosen!

Yep, they 'luckily' landed at the 2 spot in the lottery so many times, while we always end up at 7 and 8, and then to add insult to injury, they botched everyone one of those no 2 picks, did some horrific FA signings (Mosgov and Deng) and bad trades, yet still came up smelling like roses because Lebron wanted to sign there!

The draft is fixed. It’s usually based on media momentum and/or helping teams stay profitable. Last year it was “Pelicans need a star since they lost AD”, this year it was the wolves need one more piece and they might finally be good, the warriors need a jump start to be good, and Jordan just had a really successful documentary let’s see if we can help his team be good so he and the hornets can get more national exposure. I also legit think they don’t want Ball on the knicks, the media circus could be bad for business.

I suspect Leon wants to create a storyline about the Knicks not sucking that might convince the lottery to go there way. Also collect picks that if necessary we can force ourselves higher in case they decide lolknicks is a lottery tradition they want to maintain.

With that said the lottery is clearly fixed.....

I am prepared to believe this conspiracy theory.

Wolves need one more piece is not a strong conspiracy piece. I could almost go with “Glen Taylor, long time owner is being given help by getting top pick to increase the value of his team presale”.
Why GSW simply had a bad record.
Pelicans got a nice haul from the AD trade.
I’m not into conspiracy. There are strong coincidences regarding Lebron and Kyrie to Cav’s but look at the odds they had.
I don’t get why knicks are being “punished”. Dolan is a powerful owner of the league. Sure he is a dick but that does not count.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
10/21/2020  10:30 AM
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
10/21/2020  2:16 PM
I just got an ESPN update that said Stan Van Gundy is now the coach of the NOLA Pelicans. That’s a nice gig for him. I was expecting Atkinson to be a candidate.

That leaves the Hawks and Rockets now?

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Allanfan20
USA
10/21/2020  2:19 PM
Nalod wrote:
KnickDanger wrote:
wargames wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
Nalod wrote:Lakers were Dumpster fire until Lebron showed up. The took Ball over jayson Tatum. Let Randle and BroPez walk. He signed with Milwaukee for 3.5 mil!! Still they had enough got make a deal for AD and in short order a chip all because Lebron wanted to live in LA and not be a Clipper.
Some franchises do bad and get lucky. We do bad and get unlucky to boot! We are the chosen!

Yep, they 'luckily' landed at the 2 spot in the lottery so many times, while we always end up at 7 and 8, and then to add insult to injury, they botched everyone one of those no 2 picks, did some horrific FA signings (Mosgov and Deng) and bad trades, yet still came up smelling like roses because Lebron wanted to sign there!

The draft is fixed. It’s usually based on media momentum and/or helping teams stay profitable. Last year it was “Pelicans need a star since they lost AD”, this year it was the wolves need one more piece and they might finally be good, the warriors need a jump start to be good, and Jordan just had a really successful documentary let’s see if we can help his team be good so he and the hornets can get more national exposure. I also legit think they don’t want Ball on the knicks, the media circus could be bad for business.

I suspect Leon wants to create a storyline about the Knicks not sucking that might convince the lottery to go there way. Also collect picks that if necessary we can force ourselves higher in case they decide lolknicks is a lottery tradition they want to maintain.

With that said the lottery is clearly fixed.....

I am prepared to believe this conspiracy theory.

Wolves need one more piece is not a strong conspiracy piece. I could almost go with “Glen Taylor, long time owner is being given help by getting top pick to increase the value of his team presale”.
Why GSW simply had a bad record.
Pelicans got a nice haul from the AD trade.
I’m not into conspiracy. There are strong coincidences regarding Lebron and Kyrie to Cav’s but look at the odds they had.
I don’t get why knicks are being “punished”. Dolan is a powerful owner of the league. Sure he is a dick but that does not count.

That’s assuming he’s the only dick. He’s the main public dick who is also an idiot but there are many forms are dick-headedness.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
martin
USA
10/21/2020  2:20 PM
Allanfan20
USA
10/21/2020  2:28 PM
martin wrote:

If Zion gets his gluteus maximus into shape, Stan can be the coach of the year every season. If not, he’ll find himself fired after a season and a half.

smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
10/21/2020  3:43 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:I just got an ESPN update that said Stan Van Gundy is now the coach of the NOLA Pelicans. That’s a nice gig for him. I was expecting Atkinson to be a candidate.

Have to wonder if Atkinson got over rated because of Brooklyns deferential coverage and his good relations with writers. Didn’t seem to be much enthusiasm by other teams to sign him as coach. Unless he ends up with OKC?

Allanfan20
USA
10/21/2020  3:46 PM
smackeddog wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:I just got an ESPN update that said Stan Van Gundy is now the coach of the NOLA Pelicans. That’s a nice gig for him. I was expecting Atkinson to be a candidate.

Have to wonder if Atkinson got over rated because of Brooklyns deferential coverage and his good relations with writers. Didn’t seem to be much enthusiasm by other teams to sign him as coach. Unless he ends up with OKC?

Maybe he ends up as an assistant again.

Chandler
Member: #6197

10/21/2020  6:58 PM
something must be going on with Atkinson. must either mouth off to upper mgmt or drink too much booze -- if one is guessing wildly -- which is my hobby
(5)(5)
KnickDanger
Member: #7578

10/21/2020  7:45 PM
Chandler wrote:something must be going on with Atkinson. must either mouth off to upper mgmt or drink too much booze -- if one is guessing wildly -- which is my hobby

What other rumors can we start here...I say he got Steve Nash's wife preggers....

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

10/21/2020  7:49 PM
KnickDanger wrote:
Chandler wrote:something must be going on with Atkinson. must either mouth off to upper mgmt or drink too much booze -- if one is guessing wildly -- which is my hobby

What other rumors can we start here...I say he got Steve Nash's wife preggers....

Nash's ex is nice. I would give Atkinson extra points if this was true.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Nalod
USA
10/21/2020  11:52 PM
ONly negative Rumor I read was his self promotion rubbed some the wrong way.
smackeddog
10/22/2020  3:49 AM
Nalod wrote:ONly negative Rumor I read was his self promotion rubbed some the wrong way.

And the Nets GM was going to fire him the season before he left, but couldn't because they did much better than anticipated.

Chandler
Member: #6197

10/22/2020  8:37 AM
I so don't get how SVG (and maybe JVG) are even considered HC material. At their peak they weren't very good and any success was more a factor of the roster.

Pels will go sideways for a couple of years which is kind of sad because i would like to see Zion evolve

(5)(5)
martin
USA
10/22/2020  10:32 AM
Atkinson was let go end of March? I'd take another year off and be with my family if I could.
Nalod
USA
10/22/2020  3:16 PM
Chandler wrote:I so don't get how SVG (and maybe JVG) are even considered HC material. At their peak they weren't very good and any success was more a factor of the roster.

Pels will go sideways for a couple of years which is kind of sad because i would like to see Zion evolve

What coach is not a success when you factor the roster? Stan did elevate the piston to the playoffs. His issue was he was also team president. Its hard to peel away titles. Doc Rivers did it gracefully. Bud left ATL.
Phil Jackson was by far the most impactful in recent memory. Remember, Jordan and Kobe never won a chip with him. He elevated.
has profound impact on his teams. Not the knicks, and his laker teams disintegrated health was big but his work with Suns and Rockets was impressive.
But its all subjective and circumstantial. Before SVG went to detroit and was "Unemployed" I ran in to him and Bill Cartwright at a hotel in Wilmington NC. They were there for a coaches clinic. Bill was not working then but intimated this is how you stay in the game and relevant by doing this and netoworking. He was smoking a cigar outside. I did tell him I was a knick fan and enjoyed his time in NY, but was happy for his chip in Chicago! SVG and I about bumped into each other. Was pretty funny moment! I just said "STAN"! He was like "HEY"......I said "Come on man, you don't remember me?" He is looking for a similar credential hanging from my neck as his from the clinic. "Im like, Man, how can you forget? I sat 5th row behind the bench on the 56th game you played in CHARLOTTE when you coached Miami!".......Befoe he could answer I reached out to shake his hand and just said "naw, im just a fan of the game staying at the hotel visiting my daughter and always a fan of your work........and your better looking brother"..... He laughed and was cool.

But, these "Retreads" as some might say do improve with age if they still have the gusto and the fire. He is respected by many and while he is not in the elite catagory as you said sometimes its circumstantial to the roster. He is the kind of guy that you can start your build with and then continue with developing a tree of successors. Thibs is there too.
David Griffin did a search and interviewed a few. Obviously he impressed him and ownership. JJ reddick jsut said he was the best coach he ever played for. JJ got cred these days. NOLA has the pieces of a very good young team and nice stash of picks to use as currency if they want to make some trades.
I thought Gentry did a pretty good job and not sure why then went in a new direction.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

10/23/2020  3:28 PM

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
smackeddog
10/23/2020  4:42 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:

Didn’t expect them to go for a December start, guess Bill Simmons was right- they’re seeing this season as pretty much a write off, want it out of the way and will target the following season as returning things to normal (or at least starting to). It will be interesting to see how they manage virus outbreaks in teams since they won’t be in a bubble. I do worry about Woody, Payne and Thibs catching it.

martin
USA
10/26/2020  2:39 PM
Guess Kenny wasn't getting any head coaching nibbles

Around the NBA 2019-20

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy