Around the NBA 2019-20
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/26/2020  2:22 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
smackeddog wrote:However some stuff doesn't make sense (off the top of my head- boston not getting Tim Duncan, instead he goes to the Spurs who already had David Robinson)- life's just weird sometimes.

Long story short, Michael Jordan gambled on the NBA. While he was playing. Bad ****. Stern and the NBA were being blackmailed over it.

Peter Holt made it go away. In exchange, he got to buy the Spurs and the team was gifted Duncan as a reward for basically saving the league. He literally saved the entire NBA. That kind of scandal, we are talking about an athlete with the name recognition up there with Ali and with billions on the line ( think about the networks, Nike, merchandising, etc) would have destroyed the league for good.

Jordan had to "retire" in his prime to punish him and to reduce leverage against the league.

Do you remember Marlo from The Wire? You know what he would do if he had met Peter Holt? He'd wash his car. Then Holt would make him clean the rain gutters for the house across the street. Then he'd go make Holt a sandwich. Then he'd get slapped in the face for not cutting the crusts off and run like a bitch in a corner hoping not to get an icepick shoved in his eye and and pray he didn't have to watch his family die like in some bizarre deleted scene for a John Wick movie.

These are all ****ed up people. I know lots of people have mixed feelings about Rex Ryan, but one of the reasons he was so beloved by his players was that he was a rarity, someone who was not a gigantic piece of **** in professional sports. You know what Stephen King said? He said the worst thing when he first got famous was to meet celebrities who he used to admire from afar, only to realize most of them were out of control *******s.

Tim Duncan was a gem. He was a rose that bloomed from a pile of **** around him.

Can you put this in some sequence? Jordan and league get blackmailed and a Heavy equipment dealer form Texas saves the day.
Who is marlo in this scenario?

AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
7/26/2020  12:06 PM
Such selfishness- risks infecting all his team mates and ruining the whole Orlando thing by sneaking off to a strip club

Clippers' Lou Williams in trouble with NBA after rapper posts photo of him in Atlanta strip club, per report

Williams left the bubble for a funeral, but it was revealed he also visited an Atlanta strip club on Thursday
Los Angeles Clippers guard Lou Williams is back inside the Disney World bubble in Orlando, but is now under investigation for his activity while he was gone, according to Shams Charania of The Athletic. The league's findings will determine how long Williams needs to spend in quarantine before he can rejoin the team.

Williams left for a short time earlier this week to attend a funeral, but photos of him at a gentlemen's club in Atlanta also appeared on social media. Rapper Jack Harlow posted a photo of himself and Williams late on Thursday night, showing them hanging out. Harlow quickly deleted the post, but not before it had been widely shared.

Harlow then tried to cover their tracks. "That was an old pick of me and Lou," he wrote on Twitter. "I was just reminiscing cuz I miss him." He quickly deleted that Tweet as well. With the evidence mounted against him, Williams told NBA security that he did in fact visit Magic City gentlemen's club on Thursday night, according to ESPN's Ramona Shelburne. However, he claims he was just there to pick up dinner.

Players who leave the bubble for excused absences, as Williams did, are required to quarantine for at least four days upon returning to Disney. That, however, is the minimum amount of time, and also requires that they return negative COVID-19 tests every day they are gone, and are not in any high-risk environments.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/clippers-lou-williams-in-trouble-with-nba-after-rapper-posts-photo-of-him-in-atlanta-strip-club-per-report/

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/27/2020  11:13 AM
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
smackeddog
7/27/2020  12:47 PM
smackeddog
7/27/2020  3:15 PM
I do like what they’ve done with the court in Orlando- graphics successfully bring a vibrancy that covers up the lack of crowds (I don’t why I was so excited to find out what they’d do to solve this issue)
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
7/29/2020  10:13 PM
smackeddog wrote:I do like what they've done with the court in Orlando- graphics successfully bring a vibrancy that covers up the lack of crowds (I don't why I was so excited to find out what they'd do to solve this issue)

I was pretty impressed with the way it looks. It transfers well to TV IMHO

smackeddog
7/30/2020  5:21 PM
smackeddog
7/31/2020  3:37 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/31/2020  3:44 AM
I think the nba has done a great job so far- I'm impressed with how they've made up for the lack of crowd- mixture of graphics and people via zoom. Good use of sound too- didn't feel like an empty arena

Should we ave a new pinned thread for the Orlando pre & playoff games (could also keep tabs on the Clips pick), or will this thread do?

martin
USA
7/31/2020  12:13 PM
I see that Marcus Morris still trying to help the Knicks out, 0-4 and 4 fouls in 19 minutes. With Lou and Harrell out for a while gotta hope that LAC loses just enough games to push them further down in the standings.
unstopaball12
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1137
Philippines
7/31/2020  12:27 PM
Impressed with how the nba is doing with the bubble. Adam silver deserve major props for this.Players feel safe, social justice calls are being heard, the games are continuing and everyone is locked in on the games.

It begs to question that if the mlb and nfl cancel their season due to outbreaks, how will the nba approacb next sesson

martin
USA
7/31/2020  12:49 PM
unstopaball12 wrote:Impressed with how the nba is doing with the bubble. Adam silver deserve major props for this.Players feel safe, social justice calls are being heard, the games are continuing and everyone is locked in on the games.

It begs to question that if the mlb and nfl cancel their season due to outbreaks, how will the nba approacb next sesson

Yup. Billions of $$$ on the line.

I think someone else suggested it: mini bubbles that rotate every month until further notice.

smackeddog
7/31/2020  1:48 PM
martin wrote:I see that Marcus Morris still trying to help the Knicks out, 0-4 and 4 fouls in 19 minutes. With Lou and Harrell out for a while gotta hope that LAC loses just enough games to push them further down in the standings.

Sleeper agent!

smackeddog
7/31/2020  1:52 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/31/2020  1:54 PM
martin wrote:
unstopaball12 wrote:Impressed with how the nba is doing with the bubble. Adam silver deserve major props for this.Players feel safe, social justice calls are being heard, the games are continuing and everyone is locked in on the games.

I think someone else suggested it: mini bubbles that rotate every month until further notice.

I suggested that, but I think the other option is- what's the rush? Why not push the start of next season back until May/June, and finish the same time as Orlando is due to finish. Everything else is going to be out of whack, so pushing it back shouldn't really make too much difference with regards to what it will be up against ratings wise and gives them more chance of being able to have people in arena's. Then aim to have the following season start January, then eventually back to October/November the year after that. If May is too long to wait for revenue, you could maybe have a mini tournament bubble or two between November and then.

martin
USA
7/31/2020  2:08 PM
smackeddog wrote:
martin wrote:

I suggested that, but I think the other option is- what's the rush? Why not push the start of next season back until May/June, and finish the same time as Orlando is due to finish. Everything else is going to be out of whack, so pushing it back shouldn't really make too much difference with regards to what it will be up against ratings wise and gives them more chance of being able to have people in arena's. Then aim to have the following season start January, then eventually back to October/November the year after that. If May is too long to wait for revenue, you could maybe have a mini tournament bubble or two between November and then.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

TripleThreat
Member: #3997

7/31/2020  2:48 PM

The NBA has much simpler logistics and smaller rosters than MLB and the NFL. MLB has a very powerful players union, which complicates things. The NFL has the weakest players union, which complicates things. A lot of this is logistics that are out of Silver's control, but sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

The NBA will have no choice but to bubble up again ( at a massive expense) But it will be prohibitively expensive for a full season. The league will go for the minimum number of games to fulfill it's network contract/obligations. On the plus side, this is their chance to become the No#1 sport in the entire world except for soccer. On the negative side, so much of what the NBA does for branding relies on 20-30 individual players at any given time and if many of them go down to COVID19, this could collapse the league.

The cost structure of the bubble isn't just the stuff on the surface. The massive resource pull to run a bubble season from the general population requires it's own informal tax. The NBA had to give away a ton of COVID19 tests recently and this kind of stuff will become exponential over time. They need to head off a possible PR meltdown ( i.e. why are NBA players getting so much medical priority when people are dying outside the bubble)

Here's the long term problem, the NBA has to accept that the next TV contract is going to hose them. And they'll have to get a big spoon and eat the whole meal there. With owners losing massive revenue ( not just with their NBA teams, but with all of their businesses) , all NBA franchises will see a sharp overall devaluation. The businesses that buy ad time/sponsor the networks are also feeling the hit, this ripples everywhere. The networks will feel the pinch and pass that onto the NBA.

To prop up the value of these franchises, a team needs to be sold at a record price. It means like taking in an owner that was previously seen as undesirable, such as Larry Ellison. The NBA's current ownership ranks do not desire ownership groups like the Bucks situation, then again, they look deeply into the line of succession. Megan Ellison would likely become the defacto owner and then would install someone like Becky Hammon to run a team. The lottery rigging would also have to accommodate new owners.

COVID19 is it's own animal, but it sparks another problem, which is having multiple owners selling their teams all at once. If 3-4 franchises want to sell at once, the league will have massive problems all across the board. The tipping point will be where owners see a big immediate loss better than a catastrophic one down the road.

The NBA needs to stabilize it's existing ownership base to survive. The practical course is compression. Expand rosters and require teams to play twice a day. Get in more games in a shorter period of time. They'll need to find a way to back off of PEDS testing in a way that suits PR needs. The faster the league can fulfill it's network obligations, the better for everyone involved. That means shortening the length of games and forcing teams to use massive depth. Has there ever been a 24 man NBA roster before? Well now there will be.

Gentlemen, this is bad. Professional sports as we know it could completely collapse.

smackeddog
7/31/2020  2:52 PM
martin wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
martin wrote:

The thing is, if they start in November/December, they can’t have people in the arenas so no ticket revenue, if they push it back to May, there’s a chance they can have a full season of arena’s being open (depending on a vaccine). A couple of mini tournaments in the interim should make up some revenue

TripleThreat
Member: #3997

7/31/2020  3:11 PM
smackeddog wrote:
The thing is, if they start in November/December, they can’t have people in the arenas so no ticket revenue, if they push it back to May, there’s a chance they can have a full season of arena’s being open (depending on a vaccine). A couple of mini tournaments in the interim should make up some revenue

If the NBA pushes next season to May, they will have violated the terms of their TV deal. Having fans in the stands creates a tipping point for a massive PR disaster and the potential liability would be massive.

Everything around the NBA requires insurance. The insurance industry as we know it could implode with COVID19. It's not as simple as putting up plexiglass all over an arena. There seems to be no responsible way to have fans in the stands by next season this time. As harsh as it sounds, this all becomes a math problem for the league.

Narrator:
A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.

Business woman on plane:
Are there a lot of these kinds of accidents?

Narrator:
You wouldn't believe.

Business woman on plane:
Which car company do you work for?

Narrator:
A major one.

- Fight Club

smackeddog
7/31/2020  3:37 PM

Couldn’t help but think of that scene, wonder what’s going on with Isaac

smackeddog
7/31/2020  5:21 PM
I think the one mistake the nba made with Orlando was insisting on an East West playoffs, I'd much rather they just went with the 16 best teams for the playoffs - think people would have preferred watching a series with teams like the pelicans and blazers rather than the nets.
unstopaball12
Member: #1137
Philippines
7/31/2020  10:21 PM
smackeddog wrote:
martin wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
martin wrote:

With nothing on TV, no new movies, other sporting events cancelled. The NBA will be the only thing on TV, thus ratings will be off the roof. Premium on advertising can be charged, new revenue streams for international markets too if football will be limited

Around the NBA 2019-20

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy