Around the NBA 2019-20
Author Thread
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
7/10/2020  3:18 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
smackeddog wrote:LOL Woj dropping a true Woj bomb:

He's just had to apologize for it, hope that's as far as it goes, I agreed with his email

I have absolutely no love for Sen. Hawley, but I do agree with him on the China point. But I would ask the senator how can he be so vocal for civil rights elsewhere and ignore the civil rights violations that routinely take place stateside.

I agree china's human rights abuses are overlooked for money, but I think the Hawley is being completely disingenuous so I'm glad Woj was having none of it

AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
7/12/2020  4:42 AM
This is lame:

Adrian Wojnarowski was suspended by ESPN for his email response to Missouri senator Josh Hawley concerning the use of social justice messages on the back of NBA jerseys, reported Ryan Glasspiegel of Outkick.

Wojnarowski later apologized for the email.

It is unknown how long the suspension will last.

"It is inexcusable for anyone working for ESPN to respond in the way Adrian did to Senator Hawley. We are addressing it directly with Adrian and specifics of those conversations will remain internal," released ESPN in a statement on Friday.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/258764/Adrian-Wojnarowski-Suspended-By-ESPN

Hawley fools ESPN into thinking he was motivated by genuine concern for human rights. Woj's response was the way you need to deal with that BS!

TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

7/12/2020  5:06 AM
^

Woj sent it from his ESPN account.

You can't just say whatever you want from your work account.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/charles-barkley-says-sports-becoming-woke-circus-with-no-real-results

He pointed out that while the U.S. is a divided country, "sports used to be a place where fans could go get away from reality."

And as fans financially struggle during the coronavirus pandemic, “they don’t want to see a bunch of rich people” constantly talking about social justice issues, he said.

“The last thing they want to do is turn on the television and hear arguments all the time. It’s going to be very interesting to see how the public reacts."

Charles Barkley is right. There will be a segment of any fanbase who don't want to hear it. They just want to watch sports. They might not be the most vocal, but they will turn away from the game itself.

smackeddog
7/12/2020  12:04 PM
TripleThreat wrote:^

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/charles-barkley-says-sports-becoming-woke-circus-with-no-real-results

He pointed out that while the U.S. is a divided country, "sports used to be a place where fans could go get away from reality."

And as fans financially struggle during the coronavirus pandemic, “they don’t want to see a bunch of rich people” constantly talking about social justice issues, he said.

“The last thing they want to do is turn on the television and hear arguments all the time. It’s going to be very interesting to see how the public reacts."

Charles Barkley is right. There will be a segment of any fanbase who don't want to hear it. They just want to watch sports. They might not be the most vocal, but they will turn away from the game itself.

But should we really be appealing to that attitude?- "I don't care about peoples lives, I only care about watching sports!" I like bball, but last few years have taught me life is short and s*** can happen at any time- campaigning for peoples lives is more important, if viewers can't handle that, let them walk

smackeddog
7/12/2020  1:41 PM

TripleThreat

7/12/2020  4:27 PM
smackeddog wrote:

But should we really be appealing to that attitude?- "I don't care about peoples lives, I only care about watching sports!" I like bball, but last few years have taught me life is short and s*** can happen at any time- campaigning for peoples lives is more important, if viewers can't handle that, let them walk

When you walk into a restaurant, are you only paying for the food? You are also paying for the service. The lights above you. The parking lot, if there is one. You are paying for the windows to be clean. For the employees to have basic hygiene. You are paying for many things that go beyond just the food and into the experience itself.

You are also paying for the right to NOT have to deal with the employees bad day, their personal problems, their politics, their views on how you should raise your kids and anything that detracts from that experience. You are paying with your time and money ( which is a proxy for your time)

But people who walk into a restaurant can't just do whatever the hell they want can they? Once that person starts to disturb the experience of everyone else, eventually they are asked to leave.

When a fan pays for League Pass and turns on a game, they are paying not just for basketball, but the right to NOT have to deal with the employees bad days, their personal problems, their politics, their views on how you should raise your kids and anything that detracts from that experience. They are paying their time and money for the right to not have to deal with that ****.

Now you could split hairs here and say look at this, well what about that or you aren't seeing this perspective - but the truth is, you are just the type of customer who thinks they are entitled to disturb the experience for everyone else, and expect to not be asked to leave for it.

You can't just say whatever the **** you want from your work account. Anyone want to argue that? I mean really? If anyone here said "Fuck You", to a public figure from their work account, would anyone here expect anything good to happen to the person who sent it?

smackeddog
7/12/2020  4:38 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/12/2020  4:43 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

When you walk into a restaurant, are you only paying for the food? You are also paying for the service. The lights above you. The parking lot, if there is one. You are paying for the windows to be clean. For the employees to have basic hygiene. You are paying for many things that go beyond just the food and into the experience itself.

You are also paying for the right to NOT have to deal with the employees bad day, their personal problems, their politics, their views on how you should raise your kids and anything that detracts from that experience. You are paying with your time and money ( which is a proxy for your time)

But people who walk into a restaurant can't just do whatever the hell they want can they? Once that person starts to disturb the experience of everyone else, eventually they are asked to leave.

When a fan pays for League Pass and turns on a game, they are paying not just for basketball, but the right to NOT have to deal with the employees bad days, their personal problems, their politics, their views on how you should raise your kids and anything that detracts from that experience. They are paying their time and money for the right to not have to deal with that ****.

Now you could split hairs here and say look at this, well what about that or you aren't seeing this perspective - but the truth is, you are just the type of customer who thinks they are entitled to disturb the experience for everyone else, and expect to not be asked to leave for it.

You can't just say whatever the **** you want from your work account. Anyone want to argue that? I mean really? If anyone here said "Fuck You", to a public figure from their work account, would anyone here expect anything good to happen to the person who sent it?

I don’t think It quite understanding you here- feels like two separate issues. Regarding politics and BLM at the NBA games in Orlando:

I disagree, when I walk into a restaurant I’m paying for the food, that doesn’t give me ownership over the workers- they can do what they like and say what they like. If I don’t like it I won’t go back, but I hate that whole mentality customers have that they’re some sort of kings and have ownership over staff (having worked in hospitality before my current career it used to really annoy me!).

If someone cant enjoy watching a bball game because a player says black lives matter, then honestly the issue is with the viewer and why they find that basic sentiment so offensive.

Regarding Woj, yep he should have used his personal account, at the same time I think if someone’s being a dick, the best thing is to call them out on it rather than playing their disingenuous game- saves everyone time and energy!

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/13/2020  5:27 AM
We see how many people get fired or bad social media activities when’d they demonstrate bad behavior. They guy at costco gets fired for racist rants and wont wear a mask. The awful Dow walking women who got fired from her job before she was arrested for calling the police on the black birdwatching man in Central Park. Etc. People are losing their jobs for their radical opinions.
Woj was not fired for his opinion. He was suspended for his response on company Email. Thus he dragged ESPN into his fight. Not a question of if he was right or not.
Yesterday Lewis Hamilton won yet another F1 Gran Prix race. He is the best driver and has been for years. Only Black man on the F1 Circuit of 20 drivers. He raised his fist to symbolize “black power”. In another era he’d have put his sponsorships at risk and those who sponsor the car he drives.
Woj is not an NBA player or employee, he creates content for ESPN and technically acted badly. In this case he is not in the minority view but ESPN has companies that advertise. The are in the business of creating content for companies to advertise on!!! He was out of line as an employee. ESPN had to suspend him. If he was on the opposing view and said “FU” to someone who supported BLM he’d be fired. HE can speak as a citizen but he can also get fired if it hurts business. But he can continue to exercise. Hs 1st amendment rights and not be arrested.
Chandler
Member: #6197

7/13/2020  12:27 PM
I agree with Barkley and with Smackedog to a degree

Regardless of that though, back to the original point, Woj was way out of line and should be fired. Im sick of the reporters going beyond reporting so that biases my view

AND to the larger issue, the NBA has a China issue including the fact that we have politically active NBAers (nothing wrong with that in and of itself) be complete hypocrites when China (and their paychecks) are involved. Looking at you Lebron

You have the same issue with CHinese investment in Hollywood. China invest and then influences the content to be at worst China neutral. Hollywood activists doing their thing complaining about various injustices, but also being hypocritical and silent about chinese money and influence.

(5)(5)
smackeddog
7/13/2020  3:28 PM
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/258774/NBA-Would-Rotate-20-Teams-At-A-Time-If-Forced-To-Play-In-Bubble-Next-Season

The NBA's Global Innovation Group has worked on multiple scenarios for how to conduct the 20-21 season, including a return to the bubble.

If there is a national outbreak, the NBA could bring teams together at a league-operated neutral site with each team playing 64 to 72 games and teams would rotate through the site with 20 there at any given time.

The team is aiming to determine which scenarios to share with stakeholders by July 23rd.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/13/2020  11:53 PM
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
smackeddog
7/14/2020  12:37 PM
Off topic but it was retweeted on the Knicks fan tv twitter. I saw this kind of act once when travelling, and I still don't understand how they do it! Someone please help me out!

wargames
Member: #6053

7/14/2020  5:08 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/14/2020  5:14 PM
smackeddog wrote:Off topic but it was retweeted on the Knicks fan tv twitter. I saw this kind of act once when travelling, and I still don't understand how they do it! Someone please help me out!

Best I could figure their is a bar in the sleeve he attaches to the stick that is also attached to the carpet. So he is leaning on the bar. It still takes a lot of muscle control to keep his legs straight. When stands up everything unhooks. There is a chance it connects to a waist girdle/seat that also gives support. It explains why he doesn’t pick the stick up and why he needs a furry carpet to do it.

Or

He really has a significant amount of arm strength. Though I don’t think that is it because you see him flex his left arm at one point.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
smackeddog
7/15/2020  2:32 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/15/2020  2:32 AM
wargames wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Off topic but it was retweeted on the Knicks fan tv twitter. I saw this kind of act once when travelling, and I still don't understand how they do it! Someone please help me out!

Best I could figure their is a bar in the sleeve he attaches to the stick that is also attached to the carpet. So he is leaning on the bar. It still takes a lot of muscle control to keep his legs straight. When stands up everything unhooks. There is a chance it connects to a waist girdle/seat that also gives support. It explains why he doesn’t pick the stick up and why he needs a furry carpet to do it.

Or

He really has a significant amount of arm strength. Though I don’t think that is it because you see him flex his left arm at one point.

Thanks!

martin
USA
7/15/2020  11:01 PM
Life in the NBA bubble

TripleThreat

7/17/2020  1:17 AM
Two guys to look at - Chris Chiozza and John Konchar
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/19/2020  10:26 AM
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
smackeddog
7/19/2020  12:00 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:

Yup, watch these billionaires refuse to take a hit, and pass it on to the little guy AGAIN!

smackeddog
7/19/2020  12:01 PM
Marcus and Markieff aren't in Orlando- either they're giving it a miss or they might have tested positive for COVID-19
martin
USA
7/19/2020  12:48 PM
smackeddog wrote:Marcus and Markieff aren't in Orlando- either they're giving it a miss or they might have tested positive for COVID-19

So far LAC has given the Knicks a first rounder for 12 games of Marcus Morris

Around the NBA 2019-20

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy