Author Thread
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

12/1/2019  2:39 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:This is awesome.

Saw that as well. Lol

Funny how so many that blamed him for the issues in NY are now seeing guys like Randle and Morris have such little impact towards winning. Specially with so many more "young talented assets".

Interesting topic on another forum....the talk of how speed ball and 3pt. dominance that has taken over basketball may not last. Some say it was only because of GS and their success. And how now that they are having issues, it will start to effect the perception of that type of systems success. Some also point to the success of Kahwi and how he won without relying on 3pt. shooting. Of course you still have teams like Houston but they have yet to win it all.
Not that Portland will win it all but interesting how they brought Melo in and are allowing him to post up. They also have Lillard and McCollum who like to drive and play inside the stripe. Still think 3pt. shooting will continue to be important for any winning team but think the idea that you cant win inside the line may have been over emphasized during the GS era and a big reason Memo,was not brought in by so many teams.

Basketball is cyclical. We'll go back to slow it down ball once the next dominant inside force enters the league. That, the mid-range shot always looks good when it goes in. What mad Melo a threat in the past and guys like Kawhi and PG a threat now is the time to gravity they created all over the court. Even if Leonard is "off", defenses still have to pay attention. The Melo criticism the past few years stemmed from the fact that teams didn't consider him a threat and wanted him to shoot. Unfortunately, Melo took the bait and put up some trash numbers. Portland is a good fit because CJ and Dame create more than enough space in the mid-range area for Melo to get in a rhythm. Melo also looks a lot more active physically. I guess the rest did him good...Hope he can keep it up.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
12/1/2019  3:25 PM
Uptown wrote:Harden has 60 pts after 3 quarters

Yet still I don’t enjoy watching him play

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

12/1/2019  3:39 PM
smackeddog wrote:
Uptown wrote:Harden has 60 pts after 3 quarters

Yet still I don’t enjoy watching him play

I could see that. Off the dribble threes used to be exciting plays and he makes them seem mundane. Plus, he always flops and his drives, while effective, aren't always smooth. Watching him play is like playing Contra after entering the cheat code. Sure, you're able to beat the game, but it doesn't feel nearly as satisfying.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/1/2019  3:41 PM
5 games, three good and Melo is redeemed?
From what, he was not to blame here.
He was not the problem nor the cure. His star faded.
Is melo changed? Has he accepted a less than star approach and thus a better teammate?

If so he owes some teams apology as well. Start with Knicks who gave him a NTC and near max money. He said he’d “Sacrifice his game for the greater good”. He did not. Not belligerent mind you. Not a scowl or a towel on his head. He did it with a smile.

HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

12/1/2019  4:05 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/1/2019  4:13 PM
Nalod wrote:5 games, three good and Melo is redeemed?
Is melo changed? Has he accepted a less than star approach and thus a better teammate?

If so he owes some teams apology as well. Start with Knicks who gave him a NTC and near max money. He said he’d “Sacrifice his game for the greater good”. He did not. Not belligerent mind you. Not a scowl or a towel on his head. He did it with a smile.

Think that is the only thing most argued.

Redeemed that he was not good enough to play in the NBA?
Curious, what does that mean? His "Star" approach? Think its enough to say he just didn't fit well in those systems. Do not recall him saying he was the star over Westbrook or Harden?
Question how putting a guy, who was one of the best scorers in history, in the corner was expected to work? Why even sign him?

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Nalod
USA
12/2/2019  12:38 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:

Curious, what does that mean? His "Star" approach? Think its enough to say he just didn't fit well in those systems. Do not recall him saying he was the star over Westbrook or Harden?
Question how putting a guy, who was one of the best scorers in history, in the corner was expected to work? Why even sign him?

Teams had tape on Melo from his last games as a knick, OKC, and Rockets. It was not pretty.
Did Melo conditionally say he wanted to start? That's star diva stuff.
Did he change his game to confirm to his new founded humility and fit within a team concept that other teams were hesitant about?
If he did, its not like teams owed him an apology! He changed/evolved/worked it thru.
What he needed then was an opportunity.

As for "Blame as a Knick". Some fans will blame. Lets see, melo was made gone, did it really change anything? Melo was not to blame here because the team was not good. That's my point. His play and subsequent in OKC kind of confirms he would not have changed that. Thus, Nalod says "its not his fault". His star faded. It happens. We cheer him when he returns and will honor his HOF status one day. He had one really incredible Bernard King like season here! Not enough to retire his number. Its not a slight, it is what it was: "an all star" with a limited team around him.

HofstraBBall

12/2/2019  1:00 PM
Nalod wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

Teams had tape on Melo from his last games as a knick, OKC, and Rockets. It was not pretty.
Did Melo conditionally say he wanted to start? That's star diva stuff.
Did he change his game to confirm to his new founded humility and fit within a team concept that other teams were hesitant about?
If he did, its not like teams owed him an apology! He changed/evolved/worked it thru.
What he needed then was an opportunity.

As for "Blame as a Knick". Some fans will blame. Lets see, melo was made gone, did it really change anything? Melo was not to blame here because the team was not good. That's my point. His play and subsequent in OKC kind of confirms he would not have changed that. Thus, Nalod says "its not his fault". His star faded. It happens. We cheer him when he returns and will honor his HOF status one day. He had one really incredible Bernard King like season here! Not enough to retire his number. Its not a slight, it is what it was: "an all star" with a limited team around him.

Agree with most about his time here. Think we also had bad luck or bad judgment with his so called main supporting character in STAT. Think if we had a solid max next to Melo the Indiana Series would have gone a different way. But as you said, it is what it is. Just another Knick story. Rooting for him in Portland but do not think he has much left in the tank in terms of helping win a chip.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
HofstraBBall

12/2/2019  1:03 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
LegendD wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
LegendD wrote:

Why do you care? He didn't want to be here

He is my favorite player in NBA now!
now I remember you. You are just a KP flunkie. Better enjoy it before he gets tired again 😂

Is it me, or does the body language seem icy at times between Luka and KP. Is KP cool with the fact that Luka gonna be Luka and iso?

I hope so. KP imploding makes our 2 1st round picks more valuable.

Are you preying on players downfall..

I'm going to put your name next to the definition of a hater..

KP is much much stronger than he ever was, doesn't have the load he had to carry as a knick either.

They could also could afford to rest him on back to backs keeping him fresh .

Dallas in 4th place in the West. Too soon?

Nalod
USA
12/2/2019  1:34 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
LegendD wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
LegendD wrote:

now I remember you. You are just a KP flunkie. Better enjoy it before he gets tired again 😂

Is it me, or does the body language seem icy at times between Luka and KP. Is KP cool with the fact that Luka gonna be Luka and iso?

KP is much much stronger than he ever was, doesn't have the load he had to carry as a knick either.

With GS depleted and Portand struggling with the rise of traditionally cellar dwelling teams to some level of respectability (Suns, Sac).......and SAS not up to historical standards I think the West is either experiencing parity or overall decline.
On paper Lakers should not have been this good and Clippers as well. neither team has the depth of Denver.
KP in his first 20 games looks good. His proclamation "never felt better" has not translated as he fades in games closing.
Mavs are 4-3 against .500 teams. Denver is 6-1. Lakers are 3-3, Mil 6-3, Raptors 3-4, Clips 6-3, Phil 4-3, Hou 4-6.
Maybe as their schedule gets tougher it might be more telling. Too early? Mav's 9-3 vs. sub. .500. 0-2 vs. Knicks!
Too early.

HofstraBBall

12/2/2019  2:04 PM
Nalod wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
LegendD wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
LegendD wrote:

With GS depleted and Portand struggling with the rise of traditionally cellar dwelling teams to some level of respectability (Suns, Sac).......and SAS not up to historical standards I think the West is either experiencing parity or overall decline.
On paper Lakers should not have been this good and Clippers as well. neither team has the depth of Denver.
KP in his first 20 games looks good. His proclamation "never felt better" has not translated as he fades in games closing.
Mavs are 4-3 against .500 teams. Denver is 6-1. Lakers are 3-3, Mil 6-3, Raptors 3-4, Clips 6-3, Phil 4-3, Hou 4-6.
Maybe as their schedule gets tougher it might be more telling. Too early? Mav's 9-3 vs. sub. .500. 0-2 vs. Knicks!
Too early.

Think Mavs second unit is coming to its own. Also, Hardaway doing well in starting line up.

Lakers always looked good on paper with LBJ and AD on it. Was suprised how quickly most forgot what LBJ was capable of.

Denver, Clips and Houston will round out the top 4. Do think most are hoping/under estimating KP's ability. Which with Luca can pose trouble for a lot of the top teams. Some were even posting that the Mavs would be at the bottom. Reason for the bump.

smackeddog
12/2/2019  2:43 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/2/2019  4:30 PM
I wish we’d ended up with the 3rd, 4th or 5th pick in that 2018 draft- Could have ended up with Doncic, Jackson jr or Trae Young.

Wish we’d picked SGA Instead of Knox.

knicks1248
Member: #582
12/2/2019  3:41 PM
smackeddog wrote:I wish we’d ended up with the 3rd, 4th or 5th pick in that 2018 draft- Coolidge of ended up with Doncic, Jackson jr or Trae Young.

Me too

you can thank boneheaded fizdale for that...

He disregarded every red flag that was out on knox and judged him on a 1 hr workout..

Now he's benching him

ES
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
12/2/2019  5:11 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
smackeddog wrote:I wish we’d ended up with the 3rd, 4th or 5th pick in that 2018 draft- Coolidge of ended up with Doncic, Jackson jr or Trae Young.

Me too

you can thank boneheaded fizdale for that...

He disregarded every red flag that was out on knox and judged him on a 1 hr workout..

Now he's benching him

MeToo is another movement.
You complaining about wrong subject...

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
12/2/2019  5:33 PM

I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Nalod
USA
12/2/2019  6:39 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

Good for him! Hope it lasts. if it does, he owes the knicks and OKC an apology. They did not get his money worth.
Now he is playing for pride and it shows.

smackeddog
12/3/2019  3:00 AM
CrushAlot wrote:

Where are all those The Ringer and CBS Sports writers at who were laughing at him after his first two games?!?!!?

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/3/2019  10:26 AM
smackeddog wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Where are all those The Ringer and CBS Sports writers at who were laughing at him after his first two games?!?!!?

Melo has had exactly 3 bad games and 3 really good games. All of those games were against teams under .500 except Milwaukee.

It's the long haul that will determine anything.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
HofstraBBall

12/3/2019  12:12 PM
martin wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Melo has had exactly 3 bad games and 3 really good games. All of those games were against teams under .500 except Milwaukee.

It's the long haul that will determine anything.

Watching ESPN and one of the reporters made a good point. NO MATTER what Melo turns out to be the rest of the year, he has proved all the haters wrong. He was said to be unable to play let alone contribute at the NBA level. The way he played, regardless of the competition, proves it was wrong.

Can he keep it up? Age says no. But so far, he looks like a better FA value (possible $2M) than many of the other older vets that were available. Including some of the ones we picked up for a lot more.

Nalod
USA
12/3/2019  6:33 PM
smackeddog wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Eating a bit of crow this week. Melo obviously put in some work and is adjusting. Maybe Melo can tell us what he did different compared to last year or the year before. POrtand is a better team than ours. This should work.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
12/3/2019  10:47 PM
Vintage Melo so far tonight against the Clips. Stotts letting Melo take the mud range and play in the post.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Around the NBA 2019-20

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy