[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Ratliff signs for 5 years....
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
9/28/2004  8:08 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpNWZic251BF9TAzI1NjY0ODI1BHNlYwN0aA--?slug=ap-blazers-ratliff&prov=ap&type=lgns

Oh well... he was my favorite target for next offseason. I think he would have been perfect to put next to Sweetney and a viable option
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
9/28/2004  8:41 PM
Good move by the Blazers. He's definitely a player I wanted, but others will always be available for expiring contracts and/or prospects, draft picks, etc
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
9/28/2004  10:49 PM
Posted by fishmike:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpNWZic251BF9TAzI1NjY0ODI1BHNlYwN0aA--?slug=ap-blazers-ratliff&prov=ap&type=lgns

Oh well... he was my favorite target for next offseason. I think he would have been perfect to put next to Sweetney and a viable option
damn!
and the guy takes care of himself, so even at his age 5yrs isn't a bad contract for the club.
maybe this is the beginning of a sign and trade.
Bonn1997
USA
9/28/2004  10:54 PM
Posted by daddynel:
Posted by fishmike:

damn!
and the guy takes care of himself, so even at his age 5yrs isn't a bad contract for the club.
maybe this is the beginning of a sign and trade.
Shandon Anderson for Theo Ratliff maybe?
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
9/29/2004  3:35 AM
and a second rounder to sweeten the trade...

no joking, I'm not surprised to see portland sign him. He did very well for them and stabilized their interior d.

I agree with you, ratliff would have been very good for us, suiting our major need (weakside shotblocking). We didn't need scoring from that position btw. I liked theo much more than dampier.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
9/29/2004  8:07 AM
Ratliff's a good example of why numbers are misleading. He's a real popular player becasue of intangibles and court presence, not numbers (okay those blocks arent' bad). But if I were to say hey how about a 6'10" 225 lb. center who's been injured a lot through his 10 year career and has lifetime averages of 8.7 points, 6.4 rebounds and 2.8 blocks people would say no thanks, we're building in another direction. But Ratliff's a guy with D, hustle, intensity, team play, all the right things. Think of how many skilled guys would be superstars with his approach.
Bonn1997
USA
9/29/2004  8:36 AM
Posted by Marv:

Ratliff's a good example of why numbers are misleading. He's a real popular player becasue of intangibles and court presence, not numbers (okay those blocks arent' bad). But if I were to say hey how about a 6'10" 225 lb. center who's been injured a lot through his 10 year career and has lifetime averages of 8.7 points, 6.4 rebounds and 2.8 blocks people would say no thanks, we're building in another direction. But Ratliff's a guy with D, hustle, intensity, team play, all the right things. Think of how many skilled guys would be superstars with his approach.
He's listed at 235 and I think the shotblocker numbers are outstanding. I agree with your main point though.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
9/29/2004  9:55 AM
looks like we'll just have to find a ratliff/dalembert type via the draft...easier said than done
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
9/29/2004  10:07 AM
It'd be great to draft one of those types. It just goes to show that any established veteran big will not be allowed to walk away that easily.
¿ △ ?
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
9/29/2004  12:06 PM
this article has him signing a 3 year extension...not a 5 year one like stated in the article above:

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1096459475252200.xml
Making good with Ratliff
Blazers officials reward the veteran center's actions on -- and off -- the court with a three-year contract extension
Wednesday, September 29, 2004
JASON QUICK

After determining that Theo Ratliff was too valuable on the court, and too indicative of what they stand for off the court, the Trail Blazers on Tuesday signed the dynamic defensive center to a three-year contract extension.

Ratliff, 31, will make $46 million over the next four seasons according to his agent, Joel Bell, and the Blazers said they are confident the 6-foot-10 center will continue to be the NBA's premier shot blocker and one of its top defenders.

"We think he is in the prime of his career," general manager John Nash said.

For the third time in the past four seasons, Ratliff led the NBA in blocks after recording a career-high 307 (3.61 a game), including a staggering 4.41-block average in the 31 games he played with the Blazers after being traded from Atlanta in February.

He almost single-handedly lifted the Blazers' pathetic team defense -- which stagnated at or near the bottom of nearly every league category -- to respectability, helping drop opponents' scoring average (from 93.7 to 89.3 points a game) and shooting percentage (45.9 to 43.6 percent) after arriving.

In the process, his blocks electrified what was becoming a morose following at the Rose Garden. His nickname, "The Rattler," became a catchphrase, and for every block, the Rose Garden speakers blared a snake rattle. A "Block Party" section kept track of his blocks with placards taped to the rafters, and fans often returned with a plastic rattle -- a game-day giveaway -- to shake after every block.

"He brought this energy and enthusiasm that filtered throughout our team, and pretty much throughout the city, because it didn't take long before everyone was talking about Theo and what he was doing on the court," coach Maurice Cheeks said. "He just changed our team defensively, so much so that it was amazing."

Team president Steve Patterson said Ratliff's history of community service and his character also were factors in the team endorsing such a lengthy and lucrative commitment. After Patterson was hired last summer, the team drafted a 25-point pledge to its fans, which included a promise to value character over talent.

"He is the kind of guy the entire community can be proud of," Patterson said. "He represents all the best in professional sports, and we want him to be one of the building blocks of this franchise."

Over the summer, while finalizing the purchase of a home in Portland, Ratliff played host to a reading celebration for kids at the Police Activities League, spoke at teammate Damon Stoudamire's summer camp and presented a $13,350 check to Doernbecher Children's Hospital on behalf of Northwest Ford Stores, which donates $50 for every Blazers dunk.

"It's important for me to be out in the community, especially if it involves kids," Ratliff said. "They have always been a passion of mine."

Ratliff, who was set to enter the last year of his contract this season, at $10.9 million, said he told his agent to negotiate an extension because he was convinced that Portland was the place for him, and his family, which includes his wife, Kristina, and four children.

"Portland is somewhere I wanted to be, and they have made it possible for me to be here," Ratliff said. "The fans have embraced me as much here as at any place I have ever been. It has been a breath of fresh air seeing the people showing the love and commitment to the organization and the team."

The extension has given Ratliff financial security he once feared he never would have. Three years ago, Ratliff had a career-threatening hip injury that forced him to miss 79 of 82 games. In 2000-01, he missed 28 games with a broken wrist; in 1999-2000, he missed 25 games with ankle problems.

All of those injuries, Ratliff said, can be traced to his being diagnosed two years ago with having the early stages of osteoporosis, a disease in which bones become brittle and subject to fractures.

Ratliff became involved with American Longevity, a mineral supplement company, that he credits for his last two injury-free seasons. The company, which signed Ratliff to a 10-year endorsement contract, features a sports energy drink -- Rebound Fx -- with Ratliff's picture on the bottle. He also takes daily a series of four pills to boost calcium and essential fatty acids and a gelatin that promotes cartilage growth.

"Without this product, I wouldn't be getting this contract," Ratliff said.

And without Ratliff, the Blazers wouldn't be feeling as secure about their future.

so basically, this article says he signed a 3 year extension for ~$35 million! that's too much for him imho...let POR have him if that's how much they want the guy...the Knicks would have never had a shot at him if he was so happy in POR & the Blazers were prepared to give up that much annually (~$12 million per!)
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
9/29/2004  12:22 PM
this just goes to show how insane big men cost. Look at the guys who have been signed over the last couple years... Dampier, Brad Miller, Foyal, Boozer, Okur, Nesterovich, Ratliff... its no wonder Olowakandi's agent was telling him he should turn down $65mm for a max deal. Bad advice but you can see where it comes from.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
9/29/2004  12:31 PM
Well, it's not just big men, as Rafer Alston got some ridiculous contract from Toronto. but Theo is getting up there in his years, and is making a lot for his age, and you never know, at this point, when his career could hit a downfall.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Ratliff signs for 5 years....

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy