[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Why is it when people talk about the New Knicks
Author Thread
MS
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #724
9/29/2004  4:11 PM
This Ariza fascination has to stop right here...The guy did well in summer league...Does anyone remember Demarco Johnson, we drafted him awhile back and he was putting up 18 & 10. Frank Williams dropped 35 last year, Lampe was considered the steal of the draft during summer league. So let relax

Crawford is athletic but he plays no D, none, O

Brewer jesus ****** he didn't even get time in Indy, who picked up Anthony Johnson whom the Nets didn't want...to play most of their min

JYD plays good d but he is geting old....So this teams defense as of right now is not good. Houston couldn't check i high school senior, Naz has the lateral movement of an alligator, Marbury is to busy pouting when someone can convert on of his passes into an asssit to play D..

Lets just leave it at, they are improved, we are all excited finally, and hope crawford plays in the team concept, houston is healthy, TT turns into the player he should be, sweetney can put up 11 & 10, and KT gets traded so everyone stops whining..Go Knicks
AUTOADVERT
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
9/29/2004  4:18 PM
Posted by MS:

This Ariza fascination has to stop right here...The guy did well in summer league...Does anyone remember Demarco Johnson, we drafted him awhile back and he was putting up 18 & 10. Frank Williams dropped 35 last year, Lampe was considered the steal of the draft during summer league. So let relax

I don't think it's just about the summer league. The guy had a rep as a great defensive player in college. From his scouting report:

http://www.draftcity.com/trevorariza.htm

Trevor’s greatest assets are his defense and his understanding of the game. At 6-8 he can handle the ball from end to end like a point, and he sees the court well and passes nicely and crisply, although not so creatively (but still efficiently). He’s a very strong rebounder for his size and likes to mix it up on both ends going up for boards. Plays the passing lanes with excellent instincts and will rarely be seen over-committing on a play. Along with Andre Igoudala, Trevor is one of the top perimeter defenders in the Pac-10 (and the entire NCAA), and almost always matches up with the other team’s best scoring wing. Trevor is also a great hustle player, he goes after every loose ball and is willing to do the dirty work to get the job done. One thing that really separates Trevor from other athletic players though, is his body control. On one play this year he caught an alley-oop pass on one side of the basket and proceeded to traverse his body in air and lay the ball in on the other side of the basket, all while in air. His body control is somewhat reminiscent of Kobe’s, although it’s not quite at that level (I don’t think any NBA player’s is). Shooting is a strength and a weakness for Ariza. He’s an excellent groove-shooter, and when he’s on, he can get his spot-up J going, but he’s streaky and inconsistent. And last but not least, Trevor does what just about every top prospect does well these days, run and jump like a maniac on a pogo stick (I’d put his vertical on the better side of 35’’).

MS
9/29/2004  4:22 PM
"He’s a very strong rebounder for his size"

Thats odd considering Elton Brand is shorter, as is barkley, Boozer is about the same height, Malone is an inch taller, so he must be a really good rebounder at 6'8

I have no doubts that this kid could be a very good player but he is young needs time, and maybe in 2 years he can help when Penny's contract runs out, but its too far away, for everyone to keep saying Ariza this, Ariza that...
MS
9/29/2004  4:24 PM
Ohh and put on 30 pounds and then talk to me. 195 and i bet thats generous
Marv
9/29/2004  4:27 PM
Posted by MS:

That's probably what they meant by "for his size" - about 1/2 the weight of the guys you mentioned.
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
9/29/2004  5:16 PM
and maybe in 2 years he can help when Penny's contract runs out

Dude their won't be a Knick in the next 5 years to have his contract end as a knick. All last year contracts will be traded, or extended. We will never ever be under the salary cap, especially at the rate were going. We have 4 contracts ( allan, TT steph, I forgot who else) that are in the top 20 in the NBA (Houston being #2) right behind Shaq.
ES
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
9/29/2004  7:04 PM
We will never ever be under the salary cap
Thank God! Most teams under the cap are unbearably awful to watch

Actually, it's quite harsh. He weighed in at 201 at draft camp this summer.
http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/predraft_vitals_04.html
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

9/29/2004  8:32 PM
A few years ago the Knicks went through 5-8 minute scoring droughts every game. Plus they couldn't score in the fourth to save their lives.

Now the Knicks can score with the best of them.

Why is defense all that is debated amongst Knick fans? The Knicks haven't played defense since 2000.

Defense will come. We will remind them with our chants at MSG. "DE-FENSE!!! DE-FENSE!!!!"

What we should be doing is talking about what the Knicks will do to opposing defenses. Oh yeah the Knicks got some heat.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
9/29/2004  10:17 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

To compare Deke to Nazr isn't really fair. If Deke could play full minutes and still contribute, he'd be here. Compare Nazr's defense at center to Kurt's and you'll be happier, because that's the true upgrade.
KT was a very effective defender at center. Nazr is an upgrade but not a huge upgrade. The only reason I compared Deke to Nazr was because he did start at the position last year.
Nazr has the tools to be better. He doesn't have huge size, but he is relatively fast and just needs to work on his footwork - which Mark Aguirre has shown to be quite good at. I think Nazr can develop into a passable defender. Though I agree this team won't make any true noise until we get a defensive intimidator, Nazr will do for now.
He has the tools to be better but is not better yet.
Also, it should be said that Marbury and Tim Thomas COULD be fantastic defenders with the right team mentality and coach.
Marbury is a good defender. He is strong and quick and holds his guy to a low FG% most games. Tim Thomas Could be a good defender but so could Houston. At this point, he is not a fantastic defender.

Our team is not great defensively and if u think it is u are living in the dark. It is a lot better than it was last year but it still needs work. You are being over optimistic in a lot of ways which is not bad. I just dont want Isiah to believe it too.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
9/30/2004  12:44 PM
Posted by Marv:
Posted by MS:

I don't think it's just about the summer league. The guy had a rep as a great defensive player in college. From his scouting report:

http://www.draftcity.com/trevorariza.htm

Trevor’s greatest assets are his defense and his understanding of the game. At 6-8 he can handle the ball from end to end like a point, and he sees the court well and passes nicely and crisply, although not so creatively (but still efficiently). He’s a very strong rebounder for his size and likes to mix it up on both ends going up for boards. Plays the passing lanes with excellent instincts and will rarely be seen over-committing on a play. Along with Andre Igoudala, Trevor is one of the top perimeter defenders in the Pac-10 (and the entire NCAA), and almost always matches up with the other team’s best scoring wing. Trevor is also a great hustle player, he goes after every loose ball and is willing to do the dirty work to get the job done. One thing that really separates Trevor from other athletic players though, is his body control. On one play this year he caught an alley-oop pass on one side of the basket and proceeded to traverse his body in air and lay the ball in on the other side of the basket, all while in air. His body control is somewhat reminiscent of Kobe’s, although it’s not quite at that level (I don’t think any NBA player’s is). Shooting is a strength and a weakness for Ariza. He’s an excellent groove-shooter, and when he’s on, he can get his spot-up J going, but he’s streaky and inconsistent. And last but not least, Trevor does what just about every top prospect does well these days, run and jump like a maniac on a pogo stick (I’d put his vertical on the better side of 35’’).

When you click the link you provided, you can hit the "Strengths" tab and get exactly what you quoted. And if you found 30 profiles of 30 2nd rd draft picks who've done absolutely nothing in the NBA I'm sure you'd find a lot of really positive comments in their "Strengths" tab as well. It would mean a little more if it weren't a writer whose job it was to find good things to say about a certain player, but I guess this is just part of the whole Ariza fascination.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
9/30/2004  12:50 PM
Ariza is a nice prospect because Briggs says so and is the authority on such things.

Seriously, most believed Ariza has first round but came out too early. I know Isiah and his HOF staff were high enough to try and trade into the first round to get him, so therefore he must be a great player.

Also, Isiahfan is down on him, so he must be a great player.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
9/30/2004  1:15 PM
Most teams might have thought he was a first rounder but most, if not all, teams defintely passed on him in the first round and more than few passed on him in the second round.

I know Isiah and his HOF staff were high enough to try and trade into the first round to get him

And how do you know this? Were you in the room? Don't tell me that you actually take Isiah at his word. That would be pretty funny. How many times do you hear GM's talk up later round draft picks and how lucky they were to get them where they got them because they wanted to trade up to get them earlier? I'm sure that Isiah would be above trying to make himself look smarter than other GM's though, right?
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
9/30/2004  1:22 PM
so you hate him AND your paranoid.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Marv
9/30/2004  1:33 PM
Posted by islesfan:

Most teams might have thought he was a first rounder but most, if not all, teams defintely passed on him in the first round and more than few passed on him in the second round.

I know Isiah and his HOF staff were high enough to try and trade into the first round to get him

And how do you know this? Were you in the room? Don't tell me that you actually take Isiah at his word. That would be pretty funny. How many times do you hear GM's talk up later round draft picks and how lucky they were to get them where they got them because they wanted to trade up to get them earlier? I'm sure that Isiah would be above trying to make himself look smarter than other GM's though, right?

I thought you were going to say don't tell me you were in the room getting "high enough" with Isiah and his staff.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/30/2004  4:25 PM
Azira love is based on this wingspan!
Why is it when people talk about the New Knicks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy