[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

A few things we can feel good about with our Front Office...
Author Thread
jskinny35
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #928
USA
8/15/2019  4:07 PM
They expressed interest in Terry Rozier but showed discipline when he was offered more by Phx and Charlotte.

When they realized Plan A (KD) was not going to work they immediately went to their Plan B (J.Randle and others) and got short-term deals to retain future flexibility while signing a balance of young and vets.

Old management would have probably went after DeMarcus Cousins just to have a "star" in New York.

They turned around KP quickly which shows they're a) not fearful of losing any player and b) always forecasting all scenarios with their roster.

They keep finding talent in the 2nd round and/or undrafted players.

We will have to wait to see how the signed player perform, if Dennis Smith JR develops and if any of our young drafted players turns out to be starter material... Some of the signings were a little confusing (eg Reggie Bullock)... That said, the FO keeps saying things and following it up with similar action. You can't correct decades of inept management overnight - you do it by showing consistency with a stable and thought out approach. So if Julius Randles doesn't perform, or RJ doesn't pan out - it doesn't change that we're finally now trying to operate from a stable position. No more swinging for the fences due to being in a position of weakness, praying a star wants to come here and "save the knicks"... that thinking is what turns most people off about New York. Field a team and win. If we can - there is no better place!

AUTOADVERT
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
8/15/2019  10:24 PM
jskinny35 wrote:They expressed interest in Terry Rozier but showed discipline when he was offered more by Phx and Charlotte.

When they realized Plan A (KD) was not going to work they immediately went to their Plan B (J.Randle and others) and got short-term deals to retain future flexibility while signing a balance of young and vets.

Old management would have probably went after DeMarcus Cousins just to have a "star" in New York.

They turned around KP quickly which shows they're a) not fearful of losing any player and b) always forecasting all scenarios with their roster.

They keep finding talent in the 2nd round and/or undrafted players.

We will have to wait to see how the signed player perform, if Dennis Smith JR develops and if any of our young drafted players turns out to be starter material... Some of the signings were a little confusing (eg Reggie Bullock)... That said, the FO keeps saying things and following it up with similar action. You can't correct decades of inept management overnight - you do it by showing consistency with a stable and thought out approach. So if Julius Randles doesn't perform, or RJ doesn't pan out - it doesn't change that we're finally now trying to operate from a stable position. No more swinging for the fences due to being in a position of weakness, praying a star wants to come here and "save the knicks"... that thinking is what turns most people off about New York. Field a team and win. If we can - there is no better place!

+1

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
KnickDanger
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #7578

8/15/2019  10:49 PM
Yep. The gasbags have nearly destroyed the ozone layer and the crybabies have peed an East River but when the games begin I believe it will belie all the lazy cheap shots leading up.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
8/16/2019  9:20 AM
I guess what we don't know is if KD had been interested, would we have signed him and Kyrie. Maybe he was, and we made the moves we did because they saw the futility of trying to chase the play offs with a broken KD that might never recover, a quixotic Kyrie and a bare cupboard.

But, I do like their moves- feel good about the direction they are charting, and am hopeful for the first time in a long time.

Might Dolan mess everything up at any second? Yea. But at least for now, faith in the front office.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
8/16/2019  10:02 AM
The Nyets were making strides (okay, maybe A stride) in a positive direction, overachieving with a team "family" and a rejuvenated DRussell.
Now they have a No-D malcontent and a badly broken KD. I would have been okay if our FO had swung for the fences with everything and gone after Kahwi. That didn't happen, so now we have half a roster of low-maintenance FA vets and the same yoots we had last year. Plus a #3 wildcard, and some 2nd rounders that could lend some intrigue.

Maybe we get to watch some real coaching from Fiz this season and quietly rise to the middle of the pack, instead of running paid practices open to the public. As long as we're not watching another tankathon, I'm all for patience.

Maybe.

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
8/16/2019  2:09 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/16/2019  2:11 PM
jrodmc wrote:The Nyets were making strides (okay, maybe A stride) in a positive direction, overachieving with a team "family" and a rejuvenated DRussell.
Now they have a No-D malcontent and a badly broken KD. I would have been okay if our FO had swung for the fences with everything and gone after Kahwi. That didn't happen, so now we have half a roster of low-maintenance FA vets and the same yoots we had last year. Plus a #3 wildcard, and some 2nd rounders that could lend some intrigue.

Maybe we get to watch some real coaching from Fiz this season and quietly rise to the middle of the pack, instead of running paid practices open to the public. As long as we're not watching another tankathon, I'm all for patience.

Maybe.

It's a new team.
It takes time to make a bunch of parts to play as a team.
And in NBA if you team is not tunes as well-oiled-machine and has no super-stars to compensate you will have a hard time.
So this Kinck team will lose a lot. Especially at the beginning of the season.
If Fiz somehow will make them gel from the beginning of the season he will remove all questions about his abilities as a coach.
But I am not holding my breath. This is superhero-level appointment.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

8/29/2019  9:54 AM

Games arent won at Sylvia's (unfortunately) but its good that the players and coaching staff are having fun off the court. Makes it easier to get on the same page.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
8/29/2019  1:12 PM
For the last few seasons, we see and hear that players are getting together for these informal scrimmages with the coaching staff and new players on the roster. We see them hanging out and enjoying each others company..

Only to see that it had zero impact once november came around.

The bulls team that won 72 games barely even spoke to each other in the off season, didn't hang out with each other all that much during the season.

What they had is a system and a role in that system that fit ever player.

ES
GustavBahler

8/29/2019  1:52 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/29/2019  1:52 PM
knicks1248 wrote:For the last few seasons, we see and hear that players are getting together for these informal scrimmages with the coaching staff and new players on the roster. We see them hanging out and enjoying each others company..

The bulls team that won 72 games barely even spoke to each other in the off season, didn't hang out with each other all that much during the season.

You sniff out bad news like a truffle pig. Nothing bad about the team connecting. Dont remember past teams spending so much time together, right after getting signed.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
8/29/2019  2:29 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:For the last few seasons, we see and hear that players are getting together for these informal scrimmages with the coaching staff and new players on the roster. We see them hanging out and enjoying each others company..

You sniff out bad news like a truffle pig. Nothing bad about the team connecting. Dont remember past teams spending so much time together, right after getting signed.

Dude a few yrs back, melo took damn near the entire team to puerto rico in august, and last season guys were working out together way ahead of training camp.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm saying that fit, system and role is more important than anything you can do during an informal work out. The knick FO does a good job bringing solid high character pro's, those guys are going to get along just fine even if they don't spend a min together until media day

I like that we are a pretty deep team, I don't like that the talent level is almost the same from 1 to 15.

I constantly look up and down this roster and don't see 5 to 6 guys i can bench over the other...can you?

ES
GustavBahler

8/29/2019  3:04 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/29/2019  3:05 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Dude a few yrs back, melo took damn near the entire team to puerto rico in august, and last season guys were working out together way ahead of training camp.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm saying that fit, system and role is more important than anything you can do during an informal work out. The knick FO does a good job bringing solid high character pro's, those guys are going to get along just fine even if they don't spend a min together until media day

I like that we are a pretty deep team, I don't like that the talent level is almost the same from 1 to 15.

I constantly look up and down this roster and don't see 5 to 6 guys i can bench over the other...can you?

Duuuuude.. (sorry you had that coming)

As bad as the team was last season, even as a glorified G-League squad going against veteran NBA starters, didnt see a lot of quit in them. Even with all the changes to the rotation throughout the season. They stuck together. Fizdale was given a mandate to tank for Zion, and still managed to keep the team together. Fighting an uphill battle.

The 72 win team was Chock Full O' All-Stars and HOFers. Same with the Yankees of the late 70s. They had talent to spare. Sometimes its about how well a squad is on the same page, when the roster doesnt look like an All-Star team. If I said that bonding, training with your new teammates in the offseason was going to make them contenders, Id get the pessismism. Sometimes I believe you forget this is supposed to be fun.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/29/2019  9:07 PM
Rainman tries to ruin brunch.
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

9/1/2019  9:18 PM

No!!! What they had was the greatest player in the world! Cut it out!

EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
9/2/2019  8:01 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/2/2019  8:02 AM
https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/5/28/15703228/warriors-rise-history-built-historically-good-team-nba-playoffs

This is a good summary of the things that went right for GS. You can’t plan to build this way. It is an outlier. But it took from 2009 to 2015 to get there.

Toronto’s success is perhaps the most replicable. Keep collecting pieces and be able to capitalize when the opportunity knocks.

I think the goal should be to get the organization to be a regular 50 win team. Then, you can talk about the tweak or Star that makes them a real contender.

This is the Randle.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

9/2/2019  2:06 PM
EwingsGlass wrote:https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/5/28/15703228/warriors-rise-history-built-historically-good-team-nba-playoffs

This is a good summary of the things that went right for GS. You can’t plan to build this way. It is an outlier. But it took from 2009 to 2015 to get there.

Toronto’s success is perhaps the most replicable. Keep collecting pieces and be able to capitalize when the opportunity knocks.

I think the goal should be to get the organization to be a regular 50 win team. Then, you can talk about the tweak or Star that makes them a real contender.

There are so many ways to get there. The key is to have financial flexibility and assets that allow you to move when the opportunity opens up to get superior talent. Of course, luck plays a huge part. Toronto was mad close to trading Lowry. GSW got a borderline All-Star talent in the second round with Draymond. The Pistons were able to get prime talents in Billups and Ben Wallace for virtually nothing. And the Rip Hamilton trade. They traded Brian Cardinal, Jerry Stackhouse and Ratko Varda to get him. My man Hubert Davis was also a throw in. I will think we'll get there. How fast depends on how lucky we get. Maybe KAT forces his way out of Minny? Maybe RJ develops way better than we think?
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
EwingsGlass
USA
9/2/2019  2:32 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/5/28/15703228/warriors-rise-history-built-historically-good-team-nba-playoffs

There are so many ways to get there. The key is to have financial flexibility and assets that allow you to move when the opportunity opens up to get superior talent. Of course, luck plays a huge part. Toronto was mad close to trading Lowry. GSW got a borderline All-Star talent in the second round with Draymond. The Pistons were able to get prime talents in Billups and Ben Wallace for virtually nothing. And the Rip Hamilton trade. They traded Brian Cardinal, Jerry Stackhouse and Ratko Varda to get him. My man Hubert Davis was also a throw in. I will think we'll get there. How fast depends on how lucky we get. Maybe KAT forces his way out of Minny? Maybe RJ develops way better than we think?

Absolutely. I think what you see is a combination of value add roster management followed by players taking it to the next level together. Detroit got Rasheed Wallace for peanuts. But they had a ton of depth to really push it forward.

My point in the GS reference was that growth takes some time and we just started over. But, the moves made this offseason may payoff well in 2022. This year, all I am looking to see is institutional growth and individual player growth.

This is the Randle.
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
9/2/2019  9:28 PM
EwingsGlass wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Absolutely. I think what you see is a combination of value add roster management followed by players taking it to the next level together. Detroit got Rasheed Wallace for peanuts. But they had a ton of depth to really push it forward.

My point in the GS reference was that growth takes some time and we just started over. But, the moves made this offseason may payoff well in 2022. This year, all I am looking to see is institutional growth and individual player growth.

Are we still taking about the 2004 Detroit fluke, like this is a replicable plan? Can we just stop with that? Every team that has won a championship since has had an MVP caliber player on its roster.

LAL - Kobe x2
Boston - KG
Dallas - Dirk
SAS - Duncan AND Kawhi
Miami - Lebron x3
Cleveland - Lebron x1
GSW - Curry x4
Toronto - Kawhi x1

And for years before that you have Kobe AND Shaq, Olajuwon, Duncan, and Jordan for another 13 years

So let's stop taking about this lightning in a bottle season like it's a game plan. At some point you need a top 3 player in the game.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

9/2/2019  9:43 PM
Panos wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Are we still taking about the 2004 Detroit fluke, like this is a replicable plan? Can we just stop with that? Every team that has won a championship since has had an MVP caliber player on its roster.

LAL - Kobe x2
Boston - KG
Dallas - Dirk
SAS - Duncan AND Kawhi
Miami - Lebron x3
Cleveland - Lebron x1
GSW - Curry x4
Toronto - Kawhi x1

And for years before that you have Kobe AND Shaq, Olajuwon, Duncan, and Jordan for another 13 years

So let's stop taking about this lightning in a bottle season like it's a game plan. At some point you need a top 3 player in the game.

That's why I said you need a little luck to make the process go faster. In retrospect, Curry, Dirk and Leonard were undervalued in regards to the positions they were drafted. The key is to stay flexible and ready to pounce when a difference maker is available.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/3/2019  8:34 AM
Look at the list of those MVP’s and outside of Duncan who was thought to be dominant MVP? Coming into the league or n first year or two?
Takes time.

Getting closer: We had the Unicorn. didn’t work out. Now we have 4 blue chippers. Not sure who will be the man if any. I feel better about a future uncertain with these then going into another season with Melo and J.R. smith as our best players.

EwingsGlass
USA
9/3/2019  11:18 PM
Panos wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

LAL - Kobe x2
Boston - KG
Dallas - Dirk
SAS - Duncan AND Kawhi
Miami - Lebron x3
Cleveland - Lebron x1
GSW - Curry x4
Toronto - Kawhi x1

Pretty sure my comment was that growth takes time.

This is the Randle.
A few things we can feel good about with our Front Office...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy