[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Frank and Labeyerie are playing right now
Author Thread
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
9/3/2019  11:12 PM
ekstarks94 wrote:
technomaster wrote:Nice hesitation dribble at :59 second mark in the video, freed himself up for a nice open shot.

It's nice to see him playing well and contributing. If he could have a bunch of games just like this one (hit a couple of 3s, make some plays near the basket, and hit some teammates for open shots...), nothing exceptional, fans would fall in love all over again and start grumbling to see more of him.

As it stands, last season was extremely damaging for fan opinion of Ntilikina, and our expectations of him are extremely low (as is his trade value).

Never sell low

truth. never sell frank. always serviceable, always cheap.
AUTOADVERT
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
9/4/2019  12:51 PM
Caseloads wrote:
ekstarks94 wrote:
technomaster wrote:Nice hesitation dribble at :59 second mark in the video, freed himself up for a nice open shot.

It's nice to see him playing well and contributing. If he could have a bunch of games just like this one (hit a couple of 3s, make some plays near the basket, and hit some teammates for open shots...), nothing exceptional, fans would fall in love all over again and start grumbling to see more of him.

As it stands, last season was extremely damaging for fan opinion of Ntilikina, and our expectations of him are extremely low (as is his trade value).

Never sell low

why, is that because there's no player better than him at $5 million?

I keep asking (never got a answer from any frank fans) if frank was on another roster with the same stats, would you hope and pray that the FO traded for him?

ES
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/4/2019  1:21 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Caseloads wrote:
ekstarks94 wrote:

Never sell low

I keep asking (never got a answer from any frank fans) if frank was on another roster with the same stats, would you hope and pray that the FO traded for him?

I doubt we'd even notice him.
We over think as fans "Trade value". Player is worth what he is worth vs. him as a prospect. You either value the potential or give up. As long as he is here, he is valued. That could end tomorrow.
I think the Rainman does not express this well and comes off as a "Hater" more than actual. Might be other factors. Frank has a unique tool box with the unique issue that his offensive game is undeveloped. Most NBA players this is their strong suit. At age 21 he gets a pass. Why? Just turned 21 in July and was still growing. He showed in his teens a well rounded game. Lacks the strength at the NBA level. We are all so good at prescribing the fix but reality is there is no science to it. The kid is close. The step space jumper he hit was smooth. This was in a game vs. Jordan. Yes, Jordan. Don't matter, he tried it in a game. Not conclusiveness to say it will in the NBA. but it was new.

Nothing conclusive. Just enjoy the games!

shinmen
Member: #6029
France
9/5/2019  4:40 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
Caseloads wrote:
ekstarks94 wrote:

Never sell low

It depends on the price but yes I would. Marcus Smart who was invaluable to the Celtics is a horrible offensive player even after 5 years and still got like 12M$ per year because of his defense.
Marcus and Frank have similar stats but Frank has room to improve and Smart has benefited from much much much better teammates throughout his career.
Frank at 4, 5M$ a year could be a bargain if he improves his efficiency on offense.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
9/5/2019  5:30 AM
shinmen wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Caseloads wrote:
ekstarks94 wrote:

Never sell low

It depends on the price but yes I would. Marcus Smart who was invaluable to the Celtics is a horrible offensive player even after 5 years and still got like 12M$ per year because of his defense.
Marcus and Frank have similar stats but Frank has room to improve and Smart has benefited from much much much better teammates throughout his career.
Frank at 4, 5M$ a year could be a bargain if he improves his efficiency on offense.

Smart has a different motor and a much more intense approach.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
9/5/2019  8:10 AM
1) “Never Sell Frank” is a breach of the “Never Say Never” rule.

2) I believe player value on Rookie Scale Contracts have at least two components. First is positional value- that is probably best associated with VORP or similar calcs. Second is future value as a function of control. Much more loosey goosey.

So, you look at his physical stats (crazy wingspan) and skill sets and project how much a player not under a fixed contract would get paid (Marcus Smart has been thrown out there at 12mm, Patrick Beverley at 12.5m) seems to be market for defense oriented PGs without a strong 3 point presence. Gotta discount that value by number of years under control and likelihood of achieving that level of value. Every year that value decreases because of less control. So, current positional value is near nil. Future value probably caps at 13mm per. I WAS pretty confident after his first year he would achieve that value based on his PnR defense stays. Less so last year, but much of last year is hard to rely on for a team that appeared to be tanking. So, I’d be likely to pick up this 5m option based on future value. Note, we already used our room exception so could not replace him with a different 5m option. So, technically he is a “free option” to become Marcus Smart with his residual value being a roster spot, and the vorp of whatever they can find on a vet min contract. For a growing team, I am happy to keep this free option.

So, put me at less than “Never Sell Frank” but count me out of the “would you trade for him” analysis. Need to see real development this year however.

This is the Randle.
Nalod
USA
9/5/2019  8:19 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
shinmen wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Caseloads wrote:
ekstarks94 wrote:

Never sell low

Which is why he is paid 12mm per and will be 26 years old this season. He is the player he is.
All of this “arguing” about frank is drawing conclusions about a player who just turned 21 and was still growing. Smart was a beast in college. Celtics have had a talented roster the last few years and he is valuable as a role player for them.
Parallel? Smart spent two years in college. Frank two years in the NBA. Smart NBA offense vs. his college has been a disappointment. Kid is a bulldog and earns his money with grit. Frank is a different player with a different skill set, body, and team.
Smart was the 6th pick in his draft.

Nalod
USA
9/5/2019  8:38 AM
EwingsGlass wrote:1) “Never Sell Frank” is a breach of the “Never Say Never” rule.

2) I believe player value on Rookie Scale Contracts have at least two components. First is positional value- that is probably best associated with VORP or similar calcs. Second is future value as a function of control. Much more loosey goosey.

So, you look at his physical stats (crazy wingspan) and skill sets and project how much a player not under a fixed contract would get paid (Marcus Smart has been thrown out there at 12mm, Patrick Beverley at 12.5m) seems to be market for defense oriented PGs without a strong 3 point presence. Gotta discount that value by number of years under control and likelihood of achieving that level of value. Every year that value decreases because of less control. So, current positional value is near nil. Future value probably caps at 13mm per. I WAS pretty confident after his first year he would achieve that value based on his PnR defense stays. Less so last year, but much of last year is hard to rely on for a team that appeared to be tanking. So, I’d be likely to pick up this 5m option based on future value. Note, we already used our room exception so could not replace him with a different 5m option. So, technically he is a “free option” to become Marcus Smart with his residual value being a roster spot, and the vorp of whatever they can find on a vet min contract. For a growing team, I am happy to keep this free option.

So, put me at less than “Never Sell Frank” but count me out of the “would you trade for him” analysis. Need to see real development this year however.

Well said. The question is to extend him or let him walk after this year. Have to decide before the season starts. For all we know knicks might have made up their minds either way by now.
His rookie year playing PNR with KP was very encouraging under Hornacek. Think about our roster last year. Start to finish it was very different.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
9/5/2019  10:51 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/5/2019  10:51 AM
https://dailyknicks.com/2019/09/04/new-york-knicks-team-france-stars-love-frank-ntilikina-upside/
Batum wrote:“He’s the future of the team. It’s great for him. [Thomas] Heurtel got hurt and now he has to put himself in a big spot to run this team. But he can do it. He has the talent and the personality to run this team and be great,”

Fournier wrote:“The guy can play. He’s really, really good defensively. For his position, his mix of size and athleticism is really above average. He’s a real athlete at his position,” Evan Fournier said. “Obviously he is young, but he has huge potential. The key for him is to be aggressive at the offensive end at all times. Sometimes because he’s so talented he lacks the aggressiveness. He just needs to stay on top of it.”

Keep working young fella

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
9/5/2019  12:04 PM

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
9/5/2019  4:17 PM
martin wrote:

Frank will have to win the 3rd PG spot. From there, Elfrid Payton played 42 gms last season and 63 the yr before. Smith has played 63 & 50. Frank (If he doesn't get banged up himself) will see the court to cover for the various games these guys will probably miss.

Say they both miss 10 games each on the season which is reasonable to expect. That would be 20 games for Frank to make a case. Going into his 3rd yr based off where he started. Need to see effective 3 & D. Guys like Randle & Barrett to go with either Payton or Smith. They all provide playmaking ability to create assist which we didn't really have last season. Putting all the pressure on the PG to create which doesn't play into Frank's strengths at this stage and exposes his weaknesses. But also is a losing formula in the long run.

Once he establishes himself as an effective 3 & D threat. From there I would look for him to expand his game to be effective at attacking the rim to become a more effective overall offensive player. Don't think he is ready to be ALL of that at the moment. But if he gets the 3 & D part down consistently then that could hold him over until he further develops his ability to attack effectively.

With the vision of him being a 7ft wingspan player who can guard multiple positons, cover ground that many players can't, knock down 3s, as well as offer the ability to attack and create as the ball swings. To go together with Smith, RJ, Randle who hopefully develop enough 3 point shooting to be threats to do all 3 at a high level offensively which will make an offense very tough to guard. With 4 guys that can shoot to provide spacing for each other. As well as put the ball on the floor and create for each other.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
9/5/2019  6:59 PM
martin wrote:

If Frank can expand his range that extra foot and a half to the nba three he should have a ten plus year career in the nba.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
wargames
Member: #6053

9/5/2019  10:28 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
martin wrote:

Frank will have to win the 3rd PG spot. From there, Elfrid Payton played 42 gms last season and 63 the yr before. Smith has played 63 & 50. Frank (If he doesn't get banged up himself) will see the court to cover for the various games these guys will probably miss.

Say they both miss 10 games each on the season which is reasonable to expect. That would be 20 games for Frank to make a case. Going into his 3rd yr based off where he started. Need to see effective 3 & D. Guys like Randle & Barrett to go with either Payton or Smith. They all provide playmaking ability to create assist which we didn't really have last season. Putting all the pressure on the PG to create which doesn't play into Frank's strengths at this stage and exposes his weaknesses. But also is a losing formula in the long run.

Once he establishes himself as an effective 3 & D threat. From there I would look for him to expand his game to be effective at attacking the rim to become a more effective overall offensive player. Don't think he is ready to be ALL of that at the moment. But if he gets the 3 & D part down consistently then that could hold him over until he further develops his ability to attack effectively.

With the vision of him being a 7ft wingspan player who can guard multiple positons, cover ground that many players can't, knock down 3s, as well as offer the ability to attack and create as the ball swings. To go together with Smith, RJ, Randle who hopefully develop enough 3 point shooting to be threats to do all 3 at a high level offensively which will make an offense very tough to guard. With 4 guys that can shoot to provide spacing for each other. As well as put the ball on the floor and create for each other.

I think he is a SG in the mold of Batum (aka good secondary ball handler who can direct traffic on plays if he brings the ball up). Him getting the 3 down is the only thing that can save his NBA career.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
shinmen
Member: #6029
France
9/6/2019  4:25 AM
wargames wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
martin wrote:

I think he is a SG in the mold of Batum (aka good secondary ball handler who can direct traffic on plays if he brings the ball up). Him getting the 3 down is the only thing that can save his NBA career.

I would not say save his NBA career. If he improves his 3pt shooting to league average, he instantly becomes a hot commodity. 3&D players are extremely valuable because of their low usage and sought after skills.
That's why I really hope they stay patient with him.

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
9/6/2019  9:45 AM
Frank so far shooting a 71% TS. Earlier it was put up he had a 66 defensive rating or something like that. The comp isn’t NBA level. But it’s what u want to see vs this level.

Comp here is better than G league as well. Good signs

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

9/6/2019  12:42 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:Frank so far shooting a 71% TS. Earlier it was put up he had a 66 defensive rating or something like that. The comp isn’t NBA level. But it’s what u want to see vs this level.

Comp here is better than G league as well. Good signs

Agree they are good signs. Frank has shown he can go on runs. Its about doing it consistently. Believe he knows that he has to maintain a certain level of aggressiveness. His teammates on the French team have said as much to the media, Im sure they have shared their take with Frank as well.

He was hearing it from Jarrett Jack his rookie year. So its about going out and doing it. With all the competition for minutes in the backcourt. Frank is going to have to hit the ground running, I imagine.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

9/6/2019  2:11 PM
Exactly. I don't like Fournier as much as a player, but he's currently a legit NBA player. I give his take a bit more credence.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
9/6/2019  7:54 PM
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
9/11/2019  3:27 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/11/2019  3:28 PM
Nalod wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
shinmen wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Caseloads wrote:
ekstarks94 wrote:

Never sell low

Which is why he is paid 12mm per and will be 26 years old this season. He is the player he is.
All of this “arguing” about frank is drawing conclusions about a player who just turned 21 and was still growing. Smart was a beast in college. Celtics have had a talented roster the last few years and he is valuable as a role player for them.
Parallel? Smart spent two years in college. Frank two years in the NBA. Smart NBA offense vs. his college has been a disappointment. Kid is a bulldog and earns his money with grit. Frank is a different player with a different skill set, body, and team.
Smart was the 6th pick in his draft.

After the France beat US game Knicks can auction Frank and 29 NBA teams will come to bargain for him.
You can get a lot of money out of it. But Knicks will not do this... Nobody want to potentially look as an idiot.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Caseloads
Member: #41
9/11/2019  5:28 PM
again, Frank just turned 21. Be patient. Don't sell frankie-baby.

Knicks should let him develop and invest in him.

Frank and Labeyerie are playing right now

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy