[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks Core Revisited
Author Thread
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
7/16/2019  6:01 PM
1. RJ Barrett and Mitchell Robinson: The 2 most important pieces for this franchise longterm. Their development will make or break this rebuild. Best case is they develop like D Mitchell and Gobert in Utah. Barrett has all-star potential as a 2nd tier star/#2 option on a contender similar to DeRozan, Beal, and Oladipo. Robinson has DPOY potential. Neither player has franchise changing potential separately, but can change direction of franchise together if they both hit.

2. Knox and Randle: Both have a chance to be long-term starters and good #3 scorers. Probably lack star potential but can both be really good starting forwards moving forward.

3. Dennis Smith: He's in his own category because he has a chance to be really good, but still very much up in the air. Not a guaranteed high-level starter or long-term fixture, but still has big upside as a quality starter or 6th man.

4. Role Players: Trier, Dotson, Brazdeikis, Payton, Portis. Given their ages, they could all become good role players moving forward. Could make up an excellent bench. None of them have high level starter potential, but can be good reserves/fringe starters.

Am i accurate with how i rate this group moving forward?

AUTOADVERT
Knixkik
USA
7/16/2019  6:24 PM
Forgot to mention Frank, who i feel can still be a decent role player, but is likely to be moved sooner or later.
JoeyBagadonuts
Member: #3161

7/16/2019  7:07 PM
Overall, a pretty fair ranking, although I’m more optimistic about Brazdeikis and Trier.
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

7/16/2019  8:10 PM
JoeyBagadonuts wrote:Overall, a pretty fair ranking, although I’m more optimistic about Brazdeikis and Trier.

I don't know what to think of Trier. He is already one of the best iso players in the league but so was Trey Burke ( Burke was better ). What makes Trier potientally special is his 3 point shooting. The guy is already flirting with 40%. If he improves even slightly he will be one off the best 3 point shooters in the NBA. He also gets to the line at a high rate and hits 80% of his free throws.

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
7/16/2019  8:41 PM
I like the Core you listed Knixkik. There's a very good amount of upside in this group going forward. I like ZO, Iggy and Portis off the bench. All guys that can hit from 3 and score inside as well.
blkexec
Member: #748
7/16/2019  8:42 PM
JoeyBagadonuts wrote:Overall, a pretty fair ranking, although I’m more optimistic about Brazdeikis and Trier.

I think both are special....

Mitch
RJ
Iggy
Trier
Randle

Have star potential....

Knox was in that category, but he has to show me something this year.

Look at the learning opportunities those 5 or 6 players will get this year, playing with and hanging with blue collar vets.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
7/16/2019  8:49 PM
blkexec wrote:

Mitch
RJ
Iggy
Trier
Randle

Have star potential....

Look at the learning opportunities those 5 or 6 players will get this year, playing with and hanging with blue collar vets.

Knox IMO is going to be a problem for teams. He's so long and hard to deal with as he's attacking. Folks end up fouling him on drives. Also I expect his 3Ball is gonna be solid this year. I'm high on Knox.

blkexec
7/16/2019  8:58 PM
My concerns with Knox is consistency. Hit three jumpers.....miss 4 jumpers.

Also I hope I'm wrong, but on defense he seems either too slow against smalls....too soft against bigs. I still dont know what position hes best at. He has problems at both SF and PF. If hes more consistent on offense, that will make up for his defensive issues.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/16/2019  9:38 PM
Jmpasq wrote:

I don't know what to think of Trier. He is already one of the best iso players in the league but so was Trey Burke ( Burke was better ). What makes Trier potientally special is his 3 point shooting. The guy is already flirting with 40%. If he improves even slightly he will be one off the best 3 point shooters in the NBA. He also gets to the line at a high rate and hits 80% of his free throws.

Wow. Trier was basically a 45, 40, 80 guy last year. That is really impressive for a rookie. If he bumps his fg% up he will flirt with being a 50, 40, 80 guy.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Knixkik
USA
7/16/2019  9:40 PM
blkexec wrote:

Mitch
RJ
Iggy
Trier
Randle

Have star potential....

I definitely don’t see iggy or Trier having star potential. Maybe I’m underrating them a bit but I don’t see more than high level role players.

Sangfroid
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #2784

7/16/2019  11:35 PM
Knixkik wrote:
blkexec wrote:

Mitch
RJ
Iggy
Trier
Randle

Have star potential....

I definitely don’t see iggy or Trier having star potential. Maybe I’m underrating them a bit but I don’t see more than high level role players.

Two sharp shooters off the bench, Hmmm, we could use that.

"We are playing a game. We are playing at not playing a game..."
OjilEye
Member: #3017
USA
7/17/2019  12:53 AM
I think OP is spot on. Also agree that Iggy and Trier's ceiling are high-octane role players or sparks off the bench. Don't think they hit the 3rd best player on a championship-competing team.

I cannot wait for the season to start and for the Knicks to prove everyone wrong. 30+ wins here we gooo

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/17/2019  8:05 AM
Trier like 24 so he is about what he is. A spot starter and a microwave off the bench who cold finish games for us too this season.
Knox is still a work in progress. He had some really good games last year and if inconsistent he has to make progress there. Physical growth and hard work will likely INCREMENTALLY improve. Looking for frank the same way. His window is shorter given he is in year three this season.
Given the salary structure and bodies ahead of him I don’t see Braz getting off the bench. Naturally he’ll have an opportunity to earn his minutes early.

Glad we moved on from Mario and Mudiay. They made nice progress last season and happy to see players succeed and move on. Creates new opportunities for the knicks. We are creating them and thats how you get lucky.
While its not there we have to hope one of Mitch-Barrett-Knox- can become all star players. I’m not betting the ranch Frank can be Oladipo but lets not forget Victor was a bit older when he came in the league and took a few years to fulfil his potential. I’m not saying Frank has the same level ceiling, but at this moment knicks have not moved him for what ever reason and place a value above what a team would trade him for. it says something, I just don’t know to what degree. Nobody does.

blkexec
7/17/2019  8:34 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/17/2019  8:36 AM
Since Frank was drafted, hes been our best man to man defender on PGs and some SGs/SFs. Even after 3 yrs of roster additions and subtractions....hes still our best guard defender. His stock is extremely low and hes very young for basketball and just learning the culture of this country. With that said, I believe he has this year to prove his worth, during games and more importantly during practice. He will guard DSJ and Payton and Trier so Fitz will see how he handles himself. Probably guard RJ as well.

If Frank is still the best defender by mid season, with an improved offense....keeping him at a cheap salary is a no brainer. Out of all the NBA rosters, if we compare all of the 15th player or end of bench player, Frank is no way near as bad as the others. He still has potential and making well below the minimum salary.

Knixkik
USA
7/17/2019  9:25 AM
Nalod wrote:Trier like 24 so he is about what he is. A spot starter and a microwave off the bench who cold finish games for us too this season.
Knox is still a work in progress. He had some really good games last year and if inconsistent he has to make progress there. Physical growth and hard work will likely INCREMENTALLY improve. Looking for frank the same way. His window is shorter given he is in year three this season.
Given the salary structure and bodies ahead of him I don’t see Braz getting off the bench. Naturally he’ll have an opportunity to earn his minutes early.

Glad we moved on from Mario and Mudiay. They made nice progress last season and happy to see players succeed and move on. Creates new opportunities for the knicks. We are creating them and thats how you get lucky.
While its not there we have to hope one of Mitch-Barrett-Knox- can become all star players. I’m not betting the ranch Frank can be Oladipo but lets not forget Victor was a bit older when he came in the league and took a few years to fulfil his potential. I’m not saying Frank has the same level ceiling, but at this moment knicks have not moved him for what ever reason and place a value above what a team would trade him for. it says something, I just don’t know to what degree. Nobody does.

Yeah it’s tough to say Trier has more than role player potential given his age. 24 is not old but much different than 19, 19, and 21 which are Barrett, Knox and Mitch’s ages. 24 is when players are coming into their primes.

HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

7/17/2019  10:12 AM
blkexec wrote:

Mitch
RJ
Iggy
Trier
Randle

Have star potential....

I may be in the minority but I think Knox will be the best of the "youngest" core. Think his game translates better to todays NBA game. He has the ability to get his shot off and favors the three. Think some dismiss others short comings but expect more from Knox at such a young age. If we think about it he has an above average three point shot and has the confidence to take it at a high click. His reads and court vision will come and is par for the course for most 19/20 year olds.

RJ seems like he will not be explosive but can take advantage of height differentials. See him as developing a similar game to harde. Maybe handling the ball and getting to the rim with savy instead of explosiveness. Seems to know how to draw fouls, as does Harden. Think once he improves his 3pt. shot he will be a tough cover for a SG.

Mitch is going to be around for years. Has and endless motor and natural ability on defense. Think he can improve his offense with a solid 10 footer. No reason as he has good form on foul shots. His trouble will come staying out of foul trouble. Dont see that to be an issue as that comes with experience.

Randle is probably the best short term potential. If he continues to improve as he has the last couple of years he will be a solid core player. Excellent PnR guy that woould go well with DSJR, RJ or any other PG.

Trier reminds me of a young Lou Williams. Instant offense. Think he will also be around for years. If he can develop better court vision and set others up on offense he will be better suited for a starting role.

Frank is a physical beast. He is already one of the best defenders on most rosters. He has little confidence on offense but I saw signs last year that showed the ability to average 15 plus. I was upset with Frank as our pick but I am buying low.

Smith Jr, I feel has the most potential to be our long awaited PG. Think he has very good court vision and likes to set others up on offense. Something most on here did not understand until last year. He has a bad hitch on his shot and should be something that can be changed. Seems like he did over the summer. Fixing it in a game is a different story. But if he does, and stays healthy, I see him as someone that will create easy shots for himself and others.

Iggy reminds me of Petrovic. (For old school guys), in the way he is crafty at getting to the hoop. He also has good elevation and LOADS of confidence. Something I look for in all the young players.

Not sure or about Portis. But with his size and ability he has a lot of potential and be the wild card.

Payton seems like a solid back up and one to run a second unit well. Outside shot may keep him as a back up.

Dotson, I think is ready now. Showed the ability to hit the three last year. COnfidence is high and I think may take the starting SG position. He also runs the floor and a solid defender. Of course I left him last but think he is the most likely to contribute early of the guys coming back from last year that did not start.

With that said, it all looks good on paper but we have A LOT of players that have something to prove. We shall see.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Nalod
USA
7/17/2019  10:12 AM
Knixkik wrote:
Nalod wrote:Trier like 24 so he is about what he is. A spot starter and a microwave off the bench who cold finish games for us too this season.

Yeah it’s tough to say Trier has more than role player potential given his age. 24 is not old but much different than 19, 19, and 21 which are Barrett, Knox and Mitch’s ages. 24 is when players are coming into their primes.

On paper he might be our best closer for now. Dennis if he gets his Steve Francis mojo going should be.
Nalod
USA
7/17/2019  10:40 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
blkexec wrote:

Mitch
RJ
Iggy
Trier
Randle

Have star potential....

I may be in the minority but I think Knox will be the best of the "youngest" core. Think his game translates better to todays NBA game. He has the ability to get his shot off and favors the three. Think some dismiss others short comings but expect more from Knox at such a young age. If we think about it he has an above average three point shot and has the confidence to take it at a high click. His reads and court vision will come and is par for the course for most 19/20 year olds.

RJ seems like he will not be explosive but can take advantage of height differentials. See him as developing a similar game to harde. Maybe handling the ball and getting to the rim with savy instead of explosiveness. Seems to know how to draw fouls, as does Harden. Think once he improves his 3pt. shot he will be a tough cover for a SG.

Mitch is going to be around for years. Has and endless motor and natural ability on defense. Think he can improve his offense with a solid 10 footer. No reason as he has good form on foul shots. His trouble will come staying out of foul trouble. Dont see that to be an issue as that comes with experience.

Randle is probably the best short term potential. If he continues to improve as he has the last couple of years he will be a solid core player. Excellent PnR guy that woould go well with DSJR, RJ or any other PG.

Trier reminds me of a young Lou Williams. Instant offense. Think he will also be around for years. If he can develop better court vision and set others up on offense he will be better suited for a starting role.

Frank is a physical beast. He is already one of the best defenders on most rosters. He has little confidence on offense but I saw signs last year that showed the ability to average 15 plus. I was upset with Frank as our pick but I am buying low.

Smith Jr, I feel has the most potential to be our long awaited PG. Think he has very good court vision and likes to set others up on offense. Something most on here did not understand until last year. He has a bad hitch on his shot and should be something that can be changed. Seems like he did over the summer. Fixing it in a game is a different story. But if he does, and stays healthy, I see him as someone that will create easy shots for himself and others.

Iggy reminds me of Petrovic. (For old school guys), in the way he is crafty at getting to the hoop. He also has good elevation and LOADS of confidence. Something I look for in all the young players.

Not sure or about Portis. But with his size and ability he has a lot of potential and be the wild card.

Payton seems like a solid back up and one to run a second unit well. Outside shot may keep him as a back up.

Dotson, I think is ready now. Showed the ability to hit the three last year. COnfidence is high and I think may take the starting SG position. He also runs the floor and a solid defender. Of course I left him last but think he is the most likely to contribute early of the guys coming back from last year that did not start.

With that said, it all looks good on paper but we have A LOT of players that have something to prove. We shall see.

Good takes. I agree about Knox. He is building on that outside shot. It thought how he finished last season was important. he had a string of good efficient games. Frank gets a rep for being injury prone. He played 78 games his rookie season. Last year he was very prone. Not sure what was the norm or the anomaly? If you hate on knicks and want to hate on they picked him, you label him prone. No words by any of us pro or con will speak louder than his game. Systems guy who defends well and passes too much. Really, he just has to hit like 2 more shots a game by improving his % incrementally.
Im not expecting a miracle. Frank and Knox incremental non starphuck improvements. Increments are boring. Winning isn't.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
7/17/2019  12:08 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
blkexec wrote:

Mitch
RJ
Iggy
Trier
Randle

Have star potential....

+1
Petro! "In face of yours, mothahfukah!" Dropped 40 on MJ. My favorite Net next to Dr J. Iggy Pops definitely seems to have that sort of swagger.

I'm warming up to Frank only because so many of the new acquisitions are being reported as defensively challenged, and Fiz, despite his stupid push-up challenge to Mitch last season, doesn't come across as a defensive mastermind. And because reading the never ending Nalod versus knicks1248 feud is just getting tiring.

And it would be nice to have a D-beast in the backcourt with our SL MVP MitchRob in the front court. Positionless basketball, my azz. Frankie-long-arms on the ball, Mitch at the rim.

Knixkik
USA
7/17/2019  12:21 PM
jrodmc wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
blkexec wrote:

Mitch
RJ
Iggy
Trier
Randle

Have star potential....

+1
Petro! "In face of yours, mothahfukah!" Dropped 40 on MJ. My favorite Net next to Dr J. Iggy Pops definitely seems to have that sort of swagger.

I'm warming up to Frank only because so many of the new acquisitions are being reported as defensively challenged, and Fiz, despite his stupid push-up challenge to Mitch last season, doesn't come across as a defensive mastermind. And because reading the never ending Nalod versus knicks1248 feud is just getting tiring.

And it would be nice to have a D-beast in the backcourt with our SL MVP MitchRob in the front court. Positionless basketball, my azz. Frankie-long-arms on the ball, Mitch at the rim.

I want to believe in Frank but I’ve cooled on him because I’m seeing his issue isn’t talent or ability , it’s all mental. I’m not sure if he can ever get thru the mental block that’s preventing him from being aggressive offensively. Hopefully the Knicks have him spending time with a good sports psychologist to improve that aspect.

Knicks Core Revisited

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy