[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The Knicks ability to find 2nd round gems
Author Thread
StarksEwing1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4451

7/16/2019  10:51 AM
One thing that I have been really impressed with Perry is his ability to find some real talent in the 2nd round since he has taken over. Obviously Mitch has been a bigtime win for us since drafting him at 36 in last years draft. he was clearly a lottery talent who dropped because he didn't play college. the Lakers were gonna take him at 25 but took a risk that he would fall to 40 and we benefitted. Iggy also looks like another great find I know its early but from what I saw in Summer League t looks like he was overlooked. The great thing is that we moved up from 55 to 47 without giving up anything basically. Dotson has been a another solid player for us even though he was drafted by Phil. Next Year we have the Hornets picks which will probably fall between 31-36 so we have another opportunity to pick up a good talent. Its really a good thing to be able to hit on these 2nd rounders because the cap hit is fairly low which obviously helps bigtime
AUTOADVERT
CleaverGreene
Member: #8756

7/16/2019  12:25 PM
Don't forget that Trier wasn't even drafted.

Wonder if Wilkes or Hinton might impress enough to show roster potential down the road.

Didn't know about Iggy before the draft, but after a quick look at draft sites and highlights, it was easy to see he had talent and potential. I was surprised he didn't go earlier after doing the research on draft night and factoring in that he was a successful 20 year old freshman playing on one of the top college programs.

Easy to argue that Mitch, Trier, and Iggy are all late 1st Rnd talent, at least, and I think this will be the case when people do the inevitable "redraft" assessments.

There are three classes of men; lovers of wisdom, lovers of honor, and lovers of gain. (Plato)
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
7/16/2019  12:30 PM
If Mitch had played in college he would have been a top-10 pick. Iggy looks like a baller
Trust the Process
StarksEwing1

7/16/2019  12:31 PM
Yes I agree about Trier. Surprised he went undrafted but another good move for Perry. I think I saw Michigan play 2 times last year and I remember Iggy but wasn't paying a lot of attention to him to be honest. Now I see his skillset and bulldog mentality which is really like. Next Year our 2nd rounder is gonna be really high and good players always fall so I expect another good pick next year
StarksEwing1

7/16/2019  12:32 PM
TheGame wrote:If Mitch had played in college he would have been a top-10 pick. Iggy looks like a baller
Absolutely. Even after missing a year the lakers were gonna select him at 25. The did regret passing on him but I guess they would of just traded him away for Davis anyway
MS
Member: #724
7/16/2019  12:35 PM
Throw Dotson in the mix. It wasn’t Perry but he was another nice find.
He’s going to have a long career.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/16/2019  12:38 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/16/2019  12:39 PM
CleaverGreene wrote:Don't forget that Trier wasn't even drafted.

Wonder if Wilkes or Hinton might impress enough to show roster potential down the road.

Didn't know about Iggy before the draft, but after a quick look at draft sites and highlights, it was easy to see he had talent and potential. I was surprised he didn't go earlier after doing the research on draft night and factoring in that he was a successful 20 year old freshman playing on one of the top college programs.

Easy to argue that Mitch, Trier, and Iggy are all late 1st Rnd talent, at least, and I think this will be the case when people do the inevitable "redraft" assessments.

easy to see Iggy might outperform his draft position but every year there are guys that get over looked or get into the right situation and given a great opportunity. Iggy has played a few SL games. Lets not jump the gun on this guy yet. He was given that Knick green light in SL which is not the same as NBA ball.

Trier was fortunate to have been not drafted as he was able to go to a team that he could negotiate an opportunity. that's sometimes more valuable than being picked in the second round. Ask Ron Baker too.

We have fewer opportunities this year. The Braz has a long way up the ladder to get playing time. He'll have earned it if he gets in the game.
Bad teams like knicks and Nets last few years have found some nice young players with roster opportunities. other teams do this as well. We are so used to not doing it its still fun.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/16/2019  12:41 PM

Something is up with Wilkes. I have never heard of a player missing summer league because of an illness. If he ends up not signing his two way deal I really want the Knicks to give that to Wooten
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Chandler
Member: #6197

7/16/2019  1:45 PM
Draymond Green, Marc Gasol, Danny Green, VanVleet (UDFA)

Seems like a lot of the good teams have one or more non-1st rounders who are major contributors if not stars. I think that is more than coincidence and gets to a philosophical decision that the team will play those who earn the minutes

IMO Perry's 2nd round decisions have been excellent. These aren't guys who merely make the roster.

(5)(5)
jskinny35
Member: #928
USA
7/16/2019  3:30 PM
Agree - now if only we can draft as well in the 1st round we'd be all set! Hoping RJ offsets the Frank and Knox picks this year...
blkexec
Member: #748
7/16/2019  4:03 PM
Whats interesting is Perry was rumored to trading the pick and selecting Culver from texas. Living in Texas, I watch him play and thought he has real potential, that wasn't clear in college. Then looking at a site that compared RJ to Culver, the data says Culver is projected to be a better NBA player.

I'm wondering since Perry is better at finding gems, trading 1st round picks for multiple lower picks might be better for us. The summer league highlighted lots of players in the teens and 20's of the draft, that was killing. Then you have undrafted players like Taco Falls....2nd round players like Bol Bol.

Lets hope RJ is the real deal....But props to Perry and the FO for their talent acquisition. Iggy was a solid gem. Same with Wooten.

Looks like the plan is to have these young gems learn from these rugged vets for a few years, and eventually replace them. Have a team full of players on long term cheaper contracts, which gives us room to add a disgruntled star or two. I'm hoping that star is already on the roster.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
7/16/2019  4:21 PM
Many of the good teams that turned a corner, Denver with Jokic and Golden State with Draymond, did so as a result of finding a 2nd round gem. Hopefully it’s the case here with Mitch.
CleaverGreene
Member: #8756

7/16/2019  4:22 PM
Nalod wrote:

easy to see Iggy might outperform his draft position but every year there are guys that get over looked or get into the right situation and given a great opportunity. Iggy has played a few SL games. Lets not jump the gun on this guy yet. He was given that Knick green light in SL which is not the same as NBA ball.

Trier was fortunate to have been not drafted as he was able to go to a team that he could negotiate an opportunity. that's sometimes more valuable than being picked in the second round. Ask Ron Baker too.

We have fewer opportunities this year. The Braz has a long way up the ladder to get playing time. He'll have earned it if he gets in the game.
Bad teams like knicks and Nets last few years have found some nice young players with roster opportunities. other teams do this as well. We are so used to not doing it its still fun.

No gun jumping...just noting that Iggy comes in packing.

If he was a 23 year old senior, I'd look at him differently, but he was a freshman and top offensive player on a a traditional Big Ten power which reached the Sweet 16.

I'm choosing to call him an undervalued pick a this time.

There are three classes of men; lovers of wisdom, lovers of honor, and lovers of gain. (Plato)
Nalod
USA
7/16/2019  4:29 PM
Knicks did well with KP until he broke and Woke. Im not "High" or "Low" on Knox, I think the kid can have a very high ceiling. Same for DSMjr.
Can't keep stacking up good value 2nd rounders, at some point we need bonafide starters and above. Dare I say "closers" and "allstars".
If Fiz has the chops, he'll be able to show something more this year. He has a 5 year deal and just entering his second year with us. He don't go on the hot seat until year the start of year 4.
blkexec
Member: #748
7/16/2019  4:42 PM
Nalod wrote:Knicks did well with KP until he broke and Woke. Im not "High" or "Low" on Knox, I think the kid can have a very high ceiling. Same for DSMjr.
Can't keep stacking up good value 2nd rounders, at some point we need bonafide starters and above. Dare I say "closers" and "allstars".
If Fiz has the chops, he'll be able to show something more this year. He has a 5 year deal and just entering his second year with us. He don't go on the hot seat until year the start of year 4.

The problem with teams like this is always the same thing....Who takes the winning shot? Who do we lean on in crunch time? Is it Payton to Randle? Whats interesting, about Payton, he's only played 15-50 games over the last 4 years each season. But when he plays, he averages 30 minutes. I think Payton with his high salary and high usage, will continue to play heavy minutes, but he appears to be injury prone, which is where DSJ steps in. But Payton to Randle is our go to players? Will be interesting to see how we close out games. I think that's going to be our problem. Morris is just as capable as Randle.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Nalod
USA
7/16/2019  5:18 PM
blkexec wrote:
Nalod wrote:Knicks did well with KP until he broke and Woke. Im not "High" or "Low" on Knox, I think the kid can have a very high ceiling. Same for DSMjr.

The problem with teams like this is always the same thing....Who takes the winning shot? Who do we lean on in crunch time? Is it Payton to Randle? Whats interesting, about Payton, he's only played 15-50 games over the last 4 years each season. But when he plays, he averages 30 minutes. I think Payton with his high salary and high usage, will continue to play heavy minutes, but he appears to be injury prone, which is where DSJ steps in. But Payton to Randle is our go to players? Will be interesting to see how we close out games. I think that's going to be our problem. Morris is just as capable as Randle.

If DSM lives up to his potential, you put him out with Ellington and Knox and there are options. Long way to go. Who ever got you a lead, or back in the game you go with whats working. The defense will give you something and you execute or not.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
7/16/2019  5:42 PM

I’m high on Knox because he’s big and can shoot. He can at least be a quality starter in the league. Dennis Smith I’m not sure. He’s looking more like a scoring bench combo guard, but obviously he still has time to develop.

Nalod
USA
7/16/2019  6:01 PM
Knixkik wrote:

I’m high on Knox because he’s big and can shoot. He can at least be a quality starter in the league. Dennis Smith I’m not sure. He’s looking more like a scoring bench combo guard, but obviously he still has time to develop.

Big year for Frank and Dennis. Go big or go Mudiay...........

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/21/2019  1:17 PM
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
wargames
Member: #6053

7/21/2019  1:52 PM
Knicks have had good scouting for a while. I think they spend more on it than most teams going back over a decade. The weird part was they did all this investment in scouts but never had picks and when they did they always were either late lottery or just outside the lottery.
The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
The Knicks ability to find 2nd round gems

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy