ESPN Ranks Knicks 28th
Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
7/15/2019  12:21 PM
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27189056/league-best-teams-now
Crappy write up. Talks about the Nets being the team for the five boroughs.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/15/2019  12:30 PM
some perspective wrote:
Key additions: RJ Barrett, Julius Randle, Elfrid Payton, Bobby Portis, Taj Gibson, Marcus Morris, Wayne Ellington

Key subtractions: Emmanuel Mudiay, Noah Vonleh, DeAndre Jordan

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
fishmike
USA
7/15/2019  12:32 PM
Dont have a problem with them crapping on us. This is what Perry and Fizdale need to change. This stuff is easy to write. It will change with wins. I have no problem with this... comes with the territory.
FrenchFreak
Member: #7568

7/15/2019  12:41 PM
The Knicks roster by any other name would be about 5 slots higher. I'm not saying the Knicks are going to the playoffs but they sure AF are better than Memphis, the Wizards without Wall, Atlanta (promising but REALLY young), the Bulls, or Phoenix.

Call me crazy but I don't think the Nets without KD are more than a few games better than the Knicks. I also can see the Mavs and TWolves being close to as bad as the Knicks.

KnickDanger
Member: #7578

7/15/2019  12:42 PM
The next time some thought goes into what is coming out of ESPN will constitute a revolution....
Chandler
Member: #6197

7/15/2019  12:52 PM
fishmike wrote:Dont have a problem with them crapping on us. This is what Perry and Fizdale need to change. This stuff is easy to write. It will change with wins. I have no problem with this... comes with the territory.

I'm in this camp

If this were football, someone would paste this crap on a wall for all to see, including the coaches, training staff, towel boy

(5)(5)
CrushAlot
USA
7/15/2019  12:53 PM
FrenchFreak wrote:The Knicks roster by any other name would be about 5 slots higher. I'm not saying the Knicks are going to the playoffs but they sure AF are better than Memphis, the Wizards without Wall, Atlanta (promising but REALLY young), the Bulls, or Phoenix.

Call me crazy but I don't think the Nets without KD are more than a few games better than the Knicks. I also can see the Mavs and TWolves being close to as bad as the Knicks.

I agree. I saw a tweet from a guy that writes for bball index with their projections for next season based on where teams were at about a week ago (pre-Morris signing). Their model had the the Nets winning 36 games and not making the playoffs. They had the Knicks at 29 wins. I thought that was fair for both teams.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/15/2019  12:58 PM
One of the two LA teams will disappoint. One of Utah or Indiana will surprise.
Preseason ranks are at best fun.

ESPN has been more correct than not over the years when it comes to the knicks. Fans are too emotional so we are distorted.
At the same time I think we are better than third to last but like I said yesterday we could win 20, or 40.

Before go all off on Fiz if we win only 20 its how we lost 62 games that will tell the story. Thus, we can deal with all of that if it becomes an issue.
Firing everyone won't solve the problem. Why?
The problem is not apparent. Its presaosn.

I'd say if we win 34 games it will be a big improvement. That doubles the win total.

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

7/15/2019  1:34 PM
Lets be honest the media craps on the Knicks because that the popular thing to do. Objectively the Knicks are a better team. Not saying we are guaranteed a playoff spot but the team has a good mixture of solid veterans and youth. Even last year we were competitive in most games but couldn't sustain it mostly because lack of depth and talent. We might not have the "sexy" names of free agency but the roster has talent.
Nalod
USA
7/15/2019  2:53 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:Lets be honest the media craps on the Knicks because that the popular thing to do. Objectively the Knicks are a better team. Not saying we are guaranteed a playoff spot but the team has a good mixture of solid veterans and youth. Even last year we were competitive in most games but couldn't sustain it mostly because lack of depth and talent. We might not have the "sexy" names of free agency but the roster has talent.

Reality is we won 17 games.. Oak vs Dolan is not the distraction the media loves to portray.
Fiz can damn near throw out 3 shifts like a hockey team and run teams down. Just about every player will get a chance to play.
Its rec league with kids. LOL!!
Really I have no idea how the chemistry of things work out. Who does this early? Problem I see with Knicks is who closes games out?

Randle back guys up and get blown for Offensive foul? DSjr dribble then throw off a low % 3pt bomb? Run a play for Ellington?
Morris starts threaten if he don't get the ball? Let Trier wheel an deal? Curl a screen for Knox to get open?
No closer on this team. Oh wait, Frank!!!!! LOL

fishmike
USA
7/15/2019  3:00 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:Lets be honest the media craps on the Knicks because that the popular thing to do. Objectively the Knicks are a better team. Not saying we are guaranteed a playoff spot but the team has a good mixture of solid veterans and youth. Even last year we were competitive in most games but couldn't sustain it mostly because lack of depth and talent. We might not have the "sexy" names of free agency but the roster has talent.
its a low effort thing. If you are going to say something different you are either guessing or bringing more info to the table than the others. Guessing will make you look foolish and bringing more info takes time and effort.

The more I look at this roster the more I like the challenges I see Fizdale facing. There are come combos of players that (in theory) could look very good together.
Key additions: RJ Barrett, Julius Randle, Elfrid Payton, Bobby Portis, Taj Gibson, Marcus Morris, Wayne Ellington

Taj/Randle/Morris all played 70+ games last year. That may not be sexy but its solid. Morris and Taj are bangers and play hard on both ends. Randle might be ready to be a featured scorer.

As for the backcourt that is my biggest question mark. Payton is OK. Has some upside.. maybe. Poor man's Rubio. DSjr should be given every chance to fail and I am not sure that is a good thing. He's shown he can be a dynamic scorer, but a floor general? Have we seen that? It would be great to see Frank have a breakout year. Seeing is believing. DSjr is closest of them to being useful.

With Knox, Trier, Dotson, Frank, Ellington, and of course RJ there should be plenty of athletic options at the 2/3... but mostly 2 as I expect Morris to play 28-30 mins at the 3/4

TripleThreat
Member: #3997

7/15/2019  4:17 PM

The Knicks did improve their talent situation ( at least short term) this offseason

But the rest of the league was not simply standing still. Many other teams got better as well.

Something to consider is that Eastern teams and how they compete is a reflection of the entire Eastern Conference. It's a lot easier to have "close" games in the EC than in the West.

Nalod
USA
7/15/2019  4:44 PM
My thinking is Knox should have a nice time bombing away on most nights as Randle should draw doubles.
DSjr with Ellington to start the season should be nice. That is a strong parameter shooting core.

I start the season this way. I don't end it this way.

Randle
Morris
Knox
Ellington
DSjr.

Robinson
Portis/Gibson
Frank/Braz
Payton/Kadeem
Barrett

CrushAlot
USA
7/15/2019  5:21 PM
fishmike wrote:
its a low effort thing. If you are going to say something different you are either guessing or bringing more info to the table than the others. Guessing will make you look foolish and bringing more info takes time and effort.

The more I look at this roster the more I like the challenges I see Fizdale facing. There are come combos of players that (in theory) could look very good together.

Taj/Randle/Morris all played 70+ games last year. That may not be sexy but its solid. Morris and Taj are bangers and play hard on both ends. Randle might be ready to be a featured scorer.

As for the backcourt that is my biggest question mark. Payton is OK. Has some upside.. maybe. Poor man's Rubio. DSjr should be given every chance to fail and I am not sure that is a good thing. He's shown he can be a dynamic scorer, but a floor general? Have we seen that? It would be great to see Frank have a breakout year. Seeing is believing. DSjr is closest of them to being useful.

With Knox, Trier, Dotson, Frank, Ellington, and of course RJ there should be plenty of athletic options at the 2/3... but mostly 2 as I expect Morris to play 28-30 mins at the 3/4

You are right about it being low effort. Every analysis that starts off with, the Knicks were supposed to get KD and Kyrie is not worth reading. If it also says the Knicks were supposed to get Zion, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to unfollow the writer on twitter. Time for the media to move on and provide actual analysis. Every Knick fan I know moved on June 30th. Most didn’t want Kyrie and many were on the fence about KD after his Achilles tear. Management immediately moved on. Some analysis other than the Knicks have cornered the market on power forwards would be refreshing.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/15/2019  5:30 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:

You are right about it being low effort. Every analysis that starts off with, the Knicks were supposed to get KD and Kyrie is not worth reading. If it also says the Knicks were supposed to get Zion, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to unfollow the writer on twitter. Time for the media to move on and provide actual analysis. Every Knick fan I know moved on June 30th. Most didn’t want Kyrie and many were on the fence about KD after his Achilles tear. Management immediately moved on. Some analysis other than the Knicks have cornered the market on power forwards would be refreshing.

Is Bontemps usually a good read? I recognize his name, but drawing a complete blank on his previous previous work. I agree this was a lazy take and he would've been better of writing nothing at all. I miss the old days when Hollinger and Pelton wrote more in depth pieces on teams and players.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
CrushAlot
USA
7/15/2019  6:39 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Is Bontemps usually a good read? I recognize his name, but drawing a complete blank on his previous previous work. I agree this was a lazy take and he would've been better of writing nothing at all. I miss the old days when Hollinger and Pelton wrote more in depth pieces on teams and players.
He was on the Knicks beat at one time. He loves Donnie Walsh because Walsh was nice to the media. He isn't as bitter as some former beat writers like Howard Beck. He has some good moments on podcasts. I think he left NY to cover the Wizards and now works for espn..
jazz74
Member: #371
7/15/2019  6:46 PM
fishmike wrote:Dont have a problem with them crapping on us. This is what Perry and Fizdale need to change. This stuff is easy to write. It will change with wins. I have no problem with this... comes with the territory.

agreed. they must change the perspective themselves with wins. I used to get mad at the media for crapping on us but after this summer it is warranted. until we break out of mediocrity we will continue to get dumped on and rightfully so.

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

7/15/2019  7:35 PM
Whats the difference if their 28th or 25th. They are the worst team in the Atlantic, and one of the worst in the East. I see some guys with very optimistic 40 win predictions. The only way this team wins 40 games is if DSjr, Knox, and Barrett are all plus players next year.
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
7/15/2019  9:50 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/15/2019  9:51 PM
If Knicks win 30 games, then the season was a success. I agree with others that the Nets are going to suck. Kyrie is going to poison they locker room, the lost Russel and a couple other guys and KD is out for the season. There is no way that roster is better than it was last year. They probably win only 2-3 more games than us.
Trust the Process
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
7/15/2019  11:52 PM
Jmpasq wrote:Whats the difference if their 28th or 25th. They are the worst team in the Atlantic, and one of the worst in the East. I see some guys with very optimistic 40 win predictions. The only way this team wins 40 games is if DSjr, Knox, and Barrett are all plus players next year.

As I reflected on it, this is a fair point- we improved, but we're still bottom 8, even if we end up with 34 wins.

ESPN Ranks Knicks 28th

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy