USA
7/10/2019  12:18 PM
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/10/2019  12:27 PM
We all in agreement that the Knicks FO would get KILLED for trading 6 or whatever draft picks for 2 guaranteed years of Kawhi/PG?
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
7/10/2019  12:28 PM
Kawhi is the man
Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

7/10/2019  12:49 PM
Wow!

my favorite player

I know KD left some money on the table too but have never heard of anything of this magnitude

in FB you have Brady, but his wife is the major bread winner anyway

I have decided to entertain a polygamous basketball relationship. I am now a Knick fan and also any team Kawhi plays for

(5)(5)
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
7/10/2019  1:08 PM
not to be crass or stupid - but what is the practical difference between $103M and $221m? For all intents and purposes, you're looking at stupid, generational wealth. Neither he, nor his kids or his kids' kids will have to work.

But, glad to see players start to be more concerned about where and who they will play with, than guaranteed money.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/10/2019  1:58 PM
franco12 wrote:not to be crass or stupid - but what is the practical difference between $103M and $221m? For all intents and purposes, you're looking at stupid, generational wealth. Neither he, nor his kids or his kids' kids will have to work.

But, glad to see players start to be more concerned about where and who they will play with, than guaranteed money.

$34,333,000 x 3= $103mm
$38,000,000 x 5= $190mm

SuperMax over 44mm per year.

Question for our resident cap guys: Does supermax all count against the hard cap?
That becomes a problem in my mind if it does. Is Kawhi worth 44mmn now, but in 3-4-5 years? If injured? That ballast really can keep a team down.
He played 9 games last year and turned his back on the best franchise in the league. Not to say SAS was not in part at fault.
But you want to give that much to any player not named Lebron, Jordan or Kobe at that age? I dont' have the answer.

knickslions
Alba Posts: 25
Member: #138
7/10/2019  4:04 PM
This is no big deal except the Clippers may get screwed down the line losing those picks. Leonard signs for 2 years then will get a giant contract after that. Smart move by him as he will have plenty of options and will be only 30. If he stills likes Clippers then he will be able to sign supermax with them.
Chandler
Member: #6197

7/10/2019  5:13 PM
franco12 wrote:not to be crass or stupid - but what is the practical difference between $103M and $221m? For all intents and purposes, you're looking at stupid, generational wealth. Neither he, nor his kids or his kids' kids will have to work.

even so, if he wanted to milk the team for every penny (and he could) he could have used the extra 100million to endow some foundation he like

being less greedy means the Clips can be that much more competitive (obviously he couldn't get the 221 from Clips but still)

there's a lot to respect

(5)(5)
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
7/10/2019  5:16 PM
Sambakick
Member: #5646

7/10/2019  7:48 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/10/2019  7:48 PM
Nalod wrote:

$34,333,000 x 3= $103mm
$38,000,000 x 5= $190mm

SuperMax over 44mm per year.

Supermax could be 50mm or more in 2 years.
So Kawhi and Paul could both opt out and then re-up for four-five more years at the bigger numbers and recoup some of that money.
In the meantime they have options and can hold the Clippers feet to the fire to exceed the luxury tax to fund a winner.

Everything in moderation. Even moderation.
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
7/10/2019  9:13 PM
Here's what Kawhi just did:
He just set himself up to be the best player on the most different championship teams in history. So far he has a finals MVP with SA and Toronto. Good chance he does it in LA before 2 years are up and he comes to the Knicks (ok, not likely) with a sidekick and try for FOUR.
dwiley20
Member: #5755

7/11/2019  11:30 AM
How greedy can you be..100 mill can buy what you buy with 150 mill..still filthy rich...on and off the court
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/11/2019  11:35 AM
dwiley20 wrote:How greedy can you be..100 mill can buy what you buy with 150 mill..still filthy rich...on and off the court

you can definitely think of it that way or....

Sitting directly between you and Steve Ballmer is $50M dollars. You can take it or just tell Steve to keep it.

What do you do?

knickstorrents
Member: #3050
Hong Kong
7/11/2019  11:39 AM
The big difference in numbers is mostly due to years rather than yearly amount. He's really betting that he won't get injured. If the Clippers don't get a chip, they will regret trading away SGA. That guy will be a star.
Rose is not the answer.
Nalod
USA
7/11/2019  11:46 AM
I respect him because he is empowering his own destiny and banking on himself.
He can also keep the leverage on the clippers to do anything he wants. Since he took less money, he paid for that privilege.
He is the anti-melo. That that he is wonderful human or anything but obviously wants what he wants and is willing to do what it takes.
I respect that than telling everyone what they wants to hear then flipping them off.
Kawhi can screw the clippers but I would imagine they have a hand shake "understanding". Kind of like when H20 opted out and we gave him the new contract.
If Kawhi is a bit injured he gets a big raise in two years. If he is superman he can get that, and hold Clippers to do what he wants to make sure the team stays to his conditions. Its a smart move. Has some risks, but if Kawhi not money prioritized its a balance for him. Im just guessing.
He Phucked over SAS, he won a chip in Toronto and since his contract was what it was he really does not owe them.
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
7/22/2019  11:18 AM
Nalod wrote:I respect him because he is empowering his own destiny and banking on himself.
He can also keep the leverage on the clippers to do anything he wants. Since he took less money, he paid for that privilege.
He is the anti-melo. That that he is wonderful human or anything but obviously wants what he wants and is willing to do what it takes.
I respect that than telling everyone what they wants to hear then flipping them off.
Kawhi can screw the clippers but I would imagine they have a hand shake "understanding". Kind of like when H20 opted out and we gave him the new contract.
If Kawhi is a bit injured he gets a big raise in two years. If he is superman he can get that, and hold Clippers to do what he wants to make sure the team stays to his conditions. Its a smart move. Has some risks, but if Kawhi not money prioritized its a balance for him. Im just guessing.
He Phucked over SAS, he won a chip in Toronto and since his contract was what it was he really does not owe them.

And he gutted Clips future worse than melo ever did to any team, and left 50mil on the table so he can further possibly phuque them over in 2 years.

So given all the bold "guessing", how is he the anti-melo? Because he managed to play on top-level teams with the correct superstar/supporting parts that allowed him to win Finals MVP's?

Let me do some guessing, Kawhi's an a-hole, but won. Melo's an a-hole, but didn't win. Check.

Nalod
USA
7/22/2019  12:01 PM
jrodmc wrote:
Nalod wrote:I respect him because he is empowering his own destiny and banking on himself.

And he gutted Clips future worse than melo ever did to any team, and left 50mil on the table so he can further possibly phuque them over in 2 years.

So given all the bold "guessing", how is he the anti-melo? Because he managed to play on top-level teams with the correct superstar/supporting parts that allowed him to win Finals MVP's?

Let me do some guessing, Kawhi's an a-hole, but won. Melo's an a-hole, but didn't win. Check.

Your words, not mine. Kawhi quiet but delivers. Melo tells us he will sacrifice his game, does not deliver. Never said "*******".
What Kawhi did in SAS was within his rights. It all worked out incredibly great for him post SAS. That shot dont' fall agains the 76er's its not bad, but not this iconic god thing he pulled off.

TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

7/22/2019  12:23 PM

118 M?

Let me run a hypothetical by you real quick.

Imagine you are a billionaire and you happen to own a pro sports franchise. Any sport, any league. Like most people in this position, you aren't getting all this money legally. Just doesn't work that way.

You want a player but the rules says you can't pay him the most. So you pay him in crypto. Or you pay him in duffle bags full of cash. Cash is great because since it's not taxed onto the player, you can offer him less than the face value of the difference he's losing in taxes anyway. The player just needs to see the net gain ABOVE what he would make after he was taxed on a normal max possible deal.

Since the player can't hide that kind of money ( they are dumb, young and surrounded by even dumber people. If Rich Paul wasn't LBJ's best friend, he'd be running a liquor store somewhere in Nebraska, watching Netflix and eating frozen pizza for dinner) , the owner offers to help him hide it. And gets a nice fat kickback from the people who do it.

Cheaper for the owner, more money for the player plus the perception the player is some kind of saint.

Guys, NO ONE is leaving money on the table in the NBA. Ever.

Whoa, Kawhi left a LOT of money on the table... details just coming out

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy