Ok, Smith Jr: Put up or Shut up
Author Thread
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
7/7/2019  12:30 AM
Dennis Smith Jr. believes he can carry the Knicks into the playoffs

LAS VEGAS — Dennis Smith Jr. isn’t concerned about the buzz across the Brooklyn Bridge and the talk about the Knicks struggling again.

Entering his third year in the NBA with mostly losing on his ledger, the point guard said his personal growth will catapult the Knicks into their first postseason since 2013.

“I think we can hit the playoffs. Everybody do a lot of talking and things like that,” he said, “I’ve never really been one to feed into it on social media and things like that. But I think we have a really good team, and especially with the way I’ve been working this summer, I think I’m going to take my game to the next level and it’s going to put us in the playoffs.”

DSJ thinks he can lead the Knicks to the postseason, and why not?

The Knicks’ prospects of attracting star free agents went belly up when Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, Kemba Walker, Kawhi Leonard and others chose more stable situations. New York instead used its $70 million-plus in cap space on role players with short contracts.

It should be easy to improve on last season’s league-worst 17 wins, but Smith Jr. obviously expects a huge jump. The 21-year-old said he wasn’t surprised Irving, Durant and even DeAndre Jordan chose the Nets.

“I wasn’t surprised, to be honest with you. People in the league talk anyway. They just keep it private. People in the league talk,” Smith said. “They’re great players but I like what we have, to be honest with you. I know there are a lot of hecklers out there and talking this that and the third. But I like what we have and I’m not really concerned with what’s going on in Brooklyn.”

Smith is an explosive scorer and leaper but has largely failed to live up to expectations. He was traded to the Knicks in January as a add-on piece for Kristaps Porzingis. Smith’s 3-point shot — which he converted at just a 31 percent clip over his first two seasons — has been an impediment. He said Saturday that his mechanics were tweaked in the offseason.

“It’s a big difference. And I can feel it,” said Smith, who joined the Knicks at Summer League practice Saturday. “Everybody can see it, from my pops and my friends. So adding that into my game, getting consistent with it, is going to open up the floor not only for me but everybody else and make my reads a lot easier. So it’s major for me.”

Despite Smith’s confidence, there could be competition for the starting point guard job. The Knicks signed Elfrid Payton, who has a history with GM Scott Perry, to push Smith for a place in the lineup. Smith said he welcomes the competition and he’s eager to show why he was a top-rated high school prospect and the ninth overall pick in 2017.

“I honestly felt like I was supposed to be [the No. 1 overall pick]. Probably like everybody else in the class,” he said. “I feel like this is the perfect time to come out and prove why I feel that way.”

Honestly, I’m on the fence here.

I love the attitude and confidence, but until he shows it for an extended time, it’s like he said: talk.

His talent might be off the charts, but unless he shows it, it’s more of the same.

Knicks_Fan
AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
7/7/2019  12:49 AM
Glad he is working with Smart this summer. He blew up in the summer league his rookie year if I am remembering correctly. I think his peers voted him most likely to be roy. Hopefully his back is good.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
7/7/2019  8:12 AM
He has pieces to work with especially in the frontcourt in Randle, Robinson, Portis, Knox, Barrett. Him leading the team creating clean looks consistently for them would be a huge step in the right direction.

Him realizing his potential would be game changing.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
7/7/2019  8:35 AM
for a second, I thought we were talking about JR Smith!

the big challenge for him will be staying healthy- because his trend has been to be available for 50 games. And that doesn't include his impeded performance from being nicked up and banged up.

And then I'm going to harp - but he needs to at least replace the performance we got out of Mudiay!

blkexec
Member: #748
7/7/2019  8:57 AM
franco12 wrote:for a second, I thought we were talking about JR Smith!

the big challenge for him will be staying healthy- because his trend has been to be available for 50 games. And that doesn't include his impeded performance from being nicked up and banged up.

And then I'm going to harp - but he needs to at least replace the performance we got out of Mudiay!

I like DSJ....I wanted to draft him that year. Hes not far away and could be most improved player. His main problem now is his jumpshot and playing time. He might be better off playing off the ball....but Payton will reduce his mins this season, unless he shows something early.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/7/2019  9:44 AM
Knicksfan wrote:
Dennis Smith Jr. believes he can carry the Knicks into the playoffs

“I think we can hit the playoffs. Everybody do a lot of talking and things like that,” he said, “I’ve never really been one to feed into it on social media and things like that. But I think we have a really good team, and especially with the way I’ve been working this summer, I think I’m going to take my game to the next level and it’s going to put us in the playoffs.”

Despite Smith’s confidence, there could be competition for the starting point guard job. The Knicks signed Elfrid Payton, who has a history with GM Scott Perry, to push Smith for a place in the lineup. Smith said he welcomes the competition and he’s eager to show why he was a top-rated high school prospect and the ninth overall pick in 2017.

“I honestly felt like I was supposed to be [the No. 1 overall pick]. Probably like everybody else in the class,” he said. “I feel like this is the perfect time to come out and prove why I feel that way.”

Honestly, I’m on the fence here.

I love the attitude and confidence, but until he shows it for an extended time, it’s like he said: talk.

His talent might be off the charts, but unless he shows it, it’s more of the same.

The part the OP bolded was likely written by an editor, not the writer. Smith is confident, has to walk it like he talks it. Still has the right attitude about competition. Sounds fine about competiting with Payton for minutes..

https://nypost.com/2019/07/07/knicks-dennis-smith-jr-has-been-changing-his-shot-this-offseason/

The Payton-Smith-Frank Ntilikina point-guard battle will be the rage of training camp. Ntilikina’s future with the team looks unclear. The Knicks need to make a decision in late October on whether to exercise the fourth year on Ntilikina’s rookie pact.

“That’s up to coach,’’ Smith said of who will be starting. “I’m coming to practice with my hard hat on. Earn as many minutes as possible. I don’t want anything to be given to me anyway. I’m sure he’s like that. He’s super competitive. So he’s a great addition to the team. I’m excited. It’s more competition in practice.”

GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
7/7/2019  10:03 AM
LEts face it, the Knicks need a PG to step up. At this point do we really care who it is?

If DSjr has improved his shot, he could blossom. He has the tools. Payton as a backup and sometimes playing together would be great. We need production from that spot. We will get it from the 4 offensively and 5 defensively.

Competition for playing time never hurts the team. It will only make each player better.

WHo knows Frank might end up being a 3&D guy this year. That is OK too.

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

7/7/2019  1:09 PM
Big year for him. If he can take that next step then we are golden. We have young talent,some good veterans,future flexibility. The media and pundits try to paint a "grim picture" but we actually have a lot of things to look forward too
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

7/7/2019  1:24 PM
blkexec wrote:

I like DSJ....I wanted to draft him that year. Hes not far away and could be most improved player. His main problem now is his jumpshot and playing time. He might be better off playing off the ball....but Payton will reduce his mins this season, unless he shows something early.

He has more than just shooting to work on if he wants to be a legit point guard in the NBA but yes his shooting is the biggest thing he needs to work on and that's from not only his 3 point and outside shooting but he needs to shoot better from the free throw line. He also needs to work on his defense and although he has decent court vision and passing i'd like to see both get better as well. If we're talking about him being a legit point guard then he needs to be legit at everything you need from your starting point guard.

TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
7/7/2019  1:49 PM
If Smith can get his fg% to 45% and his 3pt% to 36-37% and start playing more consistent pick and roll defense, he would be the answer at PG. Those are all big ifs but those three issues are what is holding him back from being a star.
Trust the Process
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

7/7/2019  3:21 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/7/2019  3:30 PM
TheGame wrote:If Smith can get his fg% to 45% and his 3pt% to 36-37% and start playing more consistent pick and roll defense, he would be the answer at PG. Those are all big ifs but those three issues are what is holding him back from being a star.

That would be a considerable jump in percentages. I'm not sure he is capable of it. This is the problem with the Knicks young "Talent" i'm not sure they are that talented. Most of these guys have signifigant flaws. Mitch looks great but everyone else the odds are stacked against them

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/7/2019  3:55 PM
Jmpasq wrote:
TheGame wrote:If Smith can get his fg% to 45% and his 3pt% to 36-37% and start playing more consistent pick and roll defense, he would be the answer at PG. Those are all big ifs but those three issues are what is holding him back from being a star.

That would be a considerable jump in percentages. I'm not sure he is capable of it. This is the problem with the Knicks young "Talent" i'm not sure they are that talented. Most of these guys have signifigant flaws. Mitch looks great but everyone else the odds are stacked against them

He shot just under 43% from the field last year and 32 % from 3. Getting to 45 and 36 seems do able. Also, he is supposed to be coming in healthy.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
7/7/2019  4:21 PM
Fizdale was able to rehab Mudiay’s game, squeezing out 45%fg out of a career 39% player. I’m hoping we see similar strides with DSJ’s consistency on the floor.

The Knicks will probably try to maintain at least 1 high % 3pt shooter on the floor all at times to reward our players and give them confidence in making an extra pass.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/7/2019  5:51 PM
Found this on P&T. Looks like Fiz has been working with Smith jr.

blkexec
7/7/2019  5:54 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/7/2019  8:20 PM
newyorker4ever wrote:
blkexec wrote:

He has more than just shooting to work on if he wants to be a legit point guard in the NBA but yes his shooting is the biggest thing he needs to work on and that's from not only his 3 point and outside shooting but he needs to shoot better from the free throw line. He also needs to work on his defense and although he has decent court vision and passing i'd like to see both get better as well. If we're talking about him being a legit point guard then he needs to be legit at everything you need from your starting point guard.

Agree, but not sure where I said he only has one thing to work on. Just said his main area of focus is his shooting. Free throw line included.

Hes not a natural old school point guard....Hes your typical new school scoring guard. His ceiling is similar to Marbury, shoot first, pass second. Where his first option is to score, but when in trouble he will look to pass.

Right now he has a problem being a consistent scorer because his outside shot and free throws are low. As far as his pt guard IQ, that may or may not come....but that takes experience....shooting takes repetition....something he can improve on fairly quick, since he already has decent form. To me hes just a guard in a positionless system. But with Payton on board, he could learn how to be a floor general with the threat to score.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
7/7/2019  5:57 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Found this on P&T. Looks like Fiz has been working with Smith jr.

That’s encouraging

Knicks_Fan
blkexec
7/7/2019  5:58 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/7/2019  6:01 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Found this on P&T. Looks like Fiz has been working with Smith jr.

Nice....about to hit the gym and work on that exact move.....crossover or in and out at half court... play down hill, then pull up from 3. Hard move to guard once u perfect that at game speed. Hes a Dame lilliard type player right now.....long term he can be special as he gets older and stronger. What we need is a PG with Payton, DSJ and Frank's skillset all mix into 1 player. Lol

I got a playoff game on Tuesday. I'm also moving back to MD.....accepted an offer around the same time as Kawhi.....how ironic is that. So let's meetup as knick fans and play some pickup. I'm older now, but I can still run.

Cartman718
Member: #1694

7/7/2019  10:07 PM
I am really glad he's working hard on his jump shot. I have doubts he'll be able to develop it, but the hitch seems to be gone so there's hope.
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Ok, Smith Jr: Put up or Shut up

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy