[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

My Way Too Early Take on RJ Barrett
Author Thread
Jmpasq
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4182

7/6/2019  7:41 PM
MS wrote:Trae Young looked terrible during summer league last year, it’s just one game.

His shot looks a little flat, doesn’t have tremendous bounce in his body. Definitely takes time to
Figure out specific gears and it was a scene last night. He’s not going to be a star anytime soon, but has good composure so hopefully he starts putting in the work.

Zion looked 15 pounds heavier and unbelievably out of shape. His athleticism is just mind blowing that he can explode that way with that much force playing into shape.

The difference is Tre Young looked good in college. Barrett scares the hell out of me. We need him to be very good when most likely he will be a similar talent to Wiggins. Knicks still don't get that 3 point shooting and perimeter defense is the way to win in this league. I feel like we are still building a team with the last decade in mind. Going after high volume poor scorers.

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/6/2019  7:59 PM
Jmpasq wrote:
MS wrote:Trae Young looked terrible during summer league last year, it’s just one game.

His shot looks a little flat, doesn’t have tremendous bounce in his body. Definitely takes time to
Figure out specific gears and it was a scene last night. He’s not going to be a star anytime soon, but has good composure so hopefully he starts putting in the work.

Zion looked 15 pounds heavier and unbelievably out of shape. His athleticism is just mind blowing that he can explode that way with that much force playing into shape.

The difference is Tre Young looked good in college. Barrett scares the hell out of me. We need him to be very good when most likely he will be a similar talent to Wiggins. Knicks still don't get that 3 point shooting and perimeter defense is the way to win in this league. I feel like we are still building a team with the last decade in mind. Going after high volume poor scorers.

I’m pretty sure it’s why they signed guys like Bullock, Wayne Ellington and Elfrid. Not perfect solutions but good enough

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Jmpasq

7/6/2019  9:33 PM
martin wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

I’m pretty sure it’s why they signed guys like Bullock, Wayne Ellington and Elfrid. Not perfect solutions but good enough

Yes but those guys aren't part of our future. The team is Robinson, Barrett, Knox, DSJr, Trier, and Dotson. Out of those I see 2 with legit star potiental Robinson and Barrett. Hopefully Knox and Dennis Smith Jr. can be servicable starters but Im skeptical. Trier and DOtson can be role players. SOme of these guys we have to make decisions on already after this year. How much is Dotson worth? Trier? If you want to keep flexibility the Knicks can't overextend ourselves on them. If we don't keep them, than what was the point? You can get in a never ending cycle of "developing" young players.

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/6/2019  9:45 PM
Jmpasq wrote:
martin wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

Yes but those guys aren't part of our future. The team is Robinson, Barrett, Knox, DSJr, Trier, and Dotson. Out of those I see 2 with legit star potiental Robinson and Barrett. Hopefully Knox and Dennis Smith Jr. can be servicable starters but Im skeptical. Trier and DOtson can be role players. SOme of these guys we have to make decisions on already after this year. How much is Dotson worth? Trier? If you want to keep flexibility the Knicks can't overextend ourselves on them. If we don't keep them, than what was the point? You can get in a never ending cycle of "developing" young players.

Point is having the young players learn from vets who will act as a bridge to contention. Good enough to show the young core things about the game they haven't learned or shown yet.

Everybody was writing Boston's epitaph, when they lost two core players. They had the flexibility to sign one of the biggest gets of the FA market. Thats what Perry/Mills are trying to do, develop players while they wait for the right time to strike. Havent heard it mentioned that Perry might pull off a big trade during the season. More than one way to land quality players.

Jmpasq

7/6/2019  10:14 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
martin wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

Point is having the young players learn from vets who will act as a bridge to contention. Good enough to show the young core things about the game they haven't learned or shown yet.

Everybody was writing Boston's epitaph, when they lost two core players. They had the flexibility to sign one of the biggest gets of the FA market. Thats what Perry/Mills are trying to do, develop players while they wait for the right time to strike. Havent heard it mentioned that Perry might pull off a big trade during the season. More than one way to land quality players.

It scares me seeing the haul of picks the Thunder got for George. No way in hell Id give that up for him and especially not for Westbrook.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/6/2019  10:25 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/6/2019  10:25 PM
Jmpasq wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
martin wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

It scares me seeing the haul of picks the Thunder got for George. No way in hell Id give that up for him and especially not for Westbrook.

Clips were desperate and on the clock. Don't think of it as them trading for George, but George and Kawhi. OKC wouldn't get that haul under normal circumstances.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
GustavBahler

7/6/2019  10:47 PM
Jmpasq wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
martin wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:

I haven't seen anything that would qualify as desperation coming from this regime. One reason Im optimistic.

Not laying down odds, but in the event that both Smith jr and Payton pan out, a contender, or a near contender, might want to make a good offer before the playoffs. Maybe someone else. We also have those extra first round picks, and what look to be high pick 2nd round. All gravy.

Perry could package a player(s) an some of those extra picks for a star, or someone who looks like they're almost there. Maybe like the player we're trading, but at another position.

Its understandable after missing the playoffs, not drafting Zion, all the hype from the Knicks about it being all but a done deal, that fans would see plan B as a major disappointment. The biggest letdown for me would have been all the talk of being patient turning out to be BS Did something like max out Cousins. Might seem crazy now, couple years ago not so much.

PresIke
Member: #33
USA
7/6/2019  11:12 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/6/2019  11:24 PM
knickslions wrote:
bigjeep8 wrote:Barrett didn't show me any special talent!

Well I guess we should cut him then. Lots of NBA scouts showing up here. Hard to believe anyone would be concerned after the first summer league game for a 19 year old. I’d be more concerned if he was the finished product now.

Curious, why is it that every time nowadays anyone, even die hard Knicks fans who want the team to win, who happen to mention possible concerns, or raise questions, are turned into wild haters who only see the negative, and responses like this come about?

We should cut him? Really? What sane Knick fan thinks or says that ridiculousness???

Why is that the only possible response here? Shwinny Pooh and some other well known/regarded KNick Twitter posters go bananas if you just mention the possibility that he might not be as great as some hype him up, and therefore must be blind. I commented that it was interesting to note that the performance last night was too early to believe, but still was reminiscent of concerns some had mentioned, and all I heard was literally "It's one game" which is exactly what I said:

I even like Shwinny! And the other dude...both, what is going on?!? I was being crazy there? Really? I thought I was trying to be reasonable? We are really sensitive now, huh? Am I misreading this?

This is Trump-like "Fake news" bs that is growing tiresome even as I am one who does think there are reporters who dislike the Knicks, some for some good reason just FYI (including the Daily News and Ho Beck), but who also struggle to see anything positive.

During the game thread another poster here doing a similar thing trying to say all I do is talk negatively about the team. That's beyond wild to me. I know we're a burnt fanbase (hey, I'm a perfect example) who's tired of the negative comments on the team. I get it.

Yet, not everyone who criticizes the Knicks or players is automatically worth dismissing. I am one of the hugest Knick lovers of all time on here, but now I'm a hater?

lol Knicks fans (I feel your pain)

Forum Po Po and #33 for a reason...
GustavBahler

7/7/2019  12:04 AM
PresIke wrote:
knickslions wrote:

Well I guess we should cut him then. Lots of NBA scouts showing up here. Hard to believe anyone would be concerned after the first summer league game for a 19 year old. I’d be more concerned if he was the finished product now.

Curious, why is it that every time nowadays anyone, even die hard Knicks fans who want the team to win, who happen to mention possible concerns, or raise questions, are turned into wild haters who only see the negative, and responses like this come about?

We should cut him? Really? What sane Knick fan thinks or says that ridiculousness???

Why is that the only possible response here? Shwinny Pooh and some other well known/regarded KNick Twitter posters go bananas if you just mention the possibility that he might not be as great as some hype him up, and therefore must be blind. I commented that it was interesting to note that the performance last night was too early to believe, but still was reminiscent of concerns some had mentioned, and all I heard was literally "It's one game" which is exactly what I said:

I even like Shwinny! And the other dude...both, what is going on?!? I was being crazy there? Really? I thought I was trying to be reasonable? We are really sensitive now, huh? Am I misreading this?

This is Trump-like "Fake news" bs that is growing tiresome even as I am one who does think there are reporters who dislike the Knicks, some for some good reason just FYI (including the Daily News and Ho Beck), but who also struggle to see anything positive.

During the game thread another poster here doing a similar thing trying to say all I do is talk negatively about the team. That's beyond wild to me. I know we're a burnt fanbase (hey, I'm a perfect example) who's tired of the negative comments on the team. I get it.

Yet, not everyone who criticizes the Knicks or players is automatically worth dismissing. I am one of the hugest Knick lovers of all time on here, but now I'm a hater?

Hey guys, I think this guy is saying bad things about Barrett....SWARM!..SWARM! lol

Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
7/7/2019  12:33 AM
Knicks_Fan
Cartman718
Member: #1694

7/7/2019  9:56 PM
Knicksfan wrote:

good interview

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
knickstorrents
Member: #3050
Hong Kong
7/8/2019  9:50 AM
RJ's poor free throw shooting is a huge red flag
Rose is not the answer.
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
7/8/2019  9:57 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/8/2019  9:58 AM
knickstorrents wrote:RJ's poor free throw shooting is a huge red flag

Agreed. The first indicator of whether a college player can really shoot is whether they can make free throws at a decent average (75% or above). RJ has to totally retool his shot and do the 500 shots a day routine for 1-2 summers. At this point, I am hopeful the shot can be fixed. If it can, the guy will be a star because he can do so many other things.

Trust the Process
Welpee
Member: #6239

7/8/2019  10:02 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:This very accurate as for what I saw. underwhelming is not an overstatement.

First game - his energy was LOW. Too low.

Good news is that he will only get bettter from here.

remember trae young from the first summer league game? we were all beating up on him

Heck, I remember Derrick Rose's entire SL run his rookie year. That was putrid. That said, I try to look at how a player looks around other NBA caliber athletes, not so much stats. If anyone was a but underwhelming, it was Kareem Allen. We needed a vet pg to organize the team in this chaotic atmosphere.

Now I'm starting to believe what people used to say about how you can't rebuild in NYC because of the fans lack patience. That being said, I wasn't a fan of any of the three Duke guys (though I did come around on Zion being the best talent in the draft). I'm trying to be open minded about Barrett given what the scouts have said about him and it's only two summer league games. Just like everyone else we need to give him some time. At this point I'm looking for flashes of potential greatness. Haven't seen it in summer league yet.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
7/8/2019  11:03 AM
Since summer league isn’t a good indicator of nba success, it’s fine that he is struggling. He needs that wake up call that he’s in the nba now. But it’s easy to see it’s all rust and mental and not his ability.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/8/2019  11:16 AM
PresIke wrote:
knickslions wrote:

I got sarcasm from knickslion. I think he was said fans over reacting.

knickstorrents
Member: #3050
Hong Kong
7/8/2019  11:22 AM
I'm not sure a player's coach like Fizdale is the ideal environment for him. He plays out of control and doesn't play smart, he might be better off playing under a tight leash and actually earning his minutes.
Rose is not the answer.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
7/8/2019  11:32 AM
A lot of the assessments on RJ in this thread is fair. Some are head scratching.

My take on RJs game is this...

A lot of people were comparing him to Harden which I found to be kinda lazy. Other than being left handed and being a guard, I don't see any other similarities.

RJ in the last 2 SL games showed that he doesn't have the skills yet in this level to take players off the dribble on a one-on-one situation. He doesn't have that quick twitch attribute. He also was trying to show that he can go right and I think that was a mistake. Right now, he just needs to show to go right then take it back to his strong hand and finish. Players were waiting for him to take 2 steps going right and they jump on him. Maybe a 1 step dribble to the right then floater with the right hand can help him.

He is new. I always tell my players, always use what you are good at. Sprinkle a little of what you are weak at just to keep the defender honest.

He needed to be more on the move. He was successful going to the rim when he catches the ball on the move. His troubles occur when he catches the ball an then goes on a triple threat stance. He just doesn't have that skillset at this level yet.

I like the rebounding aspect of his game. He goes for anything he can get.

Not a fan of the long 3s.

FT is fixable. He has good form. He just needs confidence.

Dribbling is a little high. Need to drive with a lean then explode.

He is going to be fine. He has a lot of attributes that is not coachable.

He does remind me of DeMar Derozan. I want to see if he can also do the spin move.

technomaster
Member: #426
USA
7/8/2019  12:10 PM
RJ May be the only Knick getting double teamed. I think this is a good experience for him - getting exposure to defenses that want to crush the 19yo lottery pick. These games don’t really count for anything. He’s getting in his repetitions in now and has a opportunity to see if his forced shots will work.

Our issue with Frank is that he’s historically been so hesitant to shoot that he hasn’t gotten in the reps against competition. It’s easy to look good in practice highlights against the air. I’m sure I could grab a few 4 second clips where I look awesome.

Hoping though that this is RJ feeling his way around and he’s treating these as practice scrimmages. Everyone wants to who those too and hit every shot, but much like MLB spring training, we don’t know what the coaches are telling him to do.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/8/2019  12:26 PM
RJ said he was built for this.
Most Knick fans are not.
My Way Too Early Take on RJ Barrett

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy