[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Mike Sweetney's battle with depression as a Knick rookie
Author Thread
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
7/4/2019  4:11 AM
Got so bad he tried to kill himself- glad he seems to have turned things around:

In 2003, it seemed like New York Knicks rookie Mike Sweetney had every reason to be happy. He was the ninth overall pick in one of the best draft classes of all-time and living his NBA dream after a dominant collegiate career at Georgetown.

However, Sweetney was in a very dark place. He was mourning since his father, Samuel, died just before the start of New York’s training camp and he was also battling serious depression. After struggling to find peace and refusing to ask for help out of fear of being judged, he attempted suicide.

“I remember the night,” Sweetney told HoopsHype. “We were in Cleveland one night and I just took a bunch of pain pills, hoping it would take me out. But I woke up the next morning thinking, ‘Well, it didn’t work.’ That’s how bad it was.

“I didn’t like basketball and I just didn’t like life at the time. I went from being a star at Georgetown and having my father at every game, to losing him and not even playing in the NBA. I knew I wasn’t going to be given a chance as a rookie because my coach told me, ‘Hey, I’m not going to play you.’ I had a lot of things going on that were rough for me to handle. I had dug myself into a really deep depression and, at that point, I was really scared to tell anybody. At that time, you had a guy like Ron Artest and people would just say, ‘He’s crazy.’ In reality, he just had some issues that could be resolved. But people were quick to call him crazy and I was suffering from something similar, so I didn’t want to tell anyone. Even after I tried to commit suicide, nobody really knew. I was suffering really bad. I was in New York, battling this while the media was writing articles about me, and I felt like I had nowhere to go. I just kept digging myself into a deeper hole of depression.”

Despite dominating at Georgetown – averaging 22.8 points, 10.4 rebounds, 3.2 blocks and 1.5 steals while shooting 54.7 percent from the field as a junior – he would play just four seasons in the NBA (two with the Knicks and two with the Chicago Bulls). During his four-year NBA career, he averaged 6.5 points and 4.5 rebounds in just 15.5 minutes per game, while shooting 48.5 percent from the field.

Sweetney’s battle with depression continued and ultimately contributed to his NBA career coming to an end. Once he was out of the league, his problems only worsened.

“I left the NBA in 2007, so around 2008 is when things got really bad and my wife told me that I really needed to get some help. It was to the point that I had moved out of my house, left my family and I was sleeping in parks or cars,” Sweetney said. “I felt like a failure. I just didn’t want to be around anybody and I felt terrible. Then, in 2009, that’s when I got to a point where things started heading in a better direction. I knew I had to pull myself out of that and get myself together. It took some time, but my family and friends had my back and helped me get through those really tough times.”

These days, Sweetney speaks to children who are battling some of the same issues he faced. He uses his story as an example, proving that it is possible to dig yourself out of that deep hole and get to a point where you’re truly happy again. Soon, Sweetney is even starting his own foundation in an effort to reach more children and families with his positive message.

“I speak at schools and I mainly work with kids who have battled depression or are in suicide prevention,” Sweetney said. “I’m actually in the process of starting my own foundation. I have some great people around me who are helping me out, including Linda Diaz. She has a non-profit called Lauren’s Law. Her daughter committed suicide and now she tries to help children and families so that they don’t have to deal with the pain she dealt with. People don’t realize just how many children commit suicide; this is a really serious problem. I just want to give back to the community and tell kids my story. You know, ‘Hey, I was the ninth pick in the NBA draft – the same class as LeBron James and Dwyane Wade – and people looked at me as being a potential All-Star and whatnot. I didn’t live up to that, and a big part of that was because of my depression. I kept digging my hole deeper.’ I try to tell these kids, ‘At the first sign of depression, get help. Go talk to someone. Don’t hold it in.’ For me, it got to the point where I was holding it in and I gained so much weight that I lost my NBA career.

“I just really wanted to make my story into a positive. When I go talk to kids, I use my life as an example. I tell them, ‘Google my name. All you’re going to see is a bunch of fat jokes and bad stuff about me. You won’t find anything positive.’ A lot of these kids get cyberbullied, so I try to use myself as an example to help them get through it. I tell them what I went through, show them articles that were written about me and make it clear that everything is going to be okay – even if they don’t understand or believe that right now. And one thing I’ve realized is that a lot of the people who cyberbully others are going through something themselves, and are unhappy with themselves, so they pick on other people. I’ll never mention the person’s name, but about a year ago, a writer reached out to me. He wrote a really bad article about me awhile back – it was just terrible, going in on me and mocking my weight – and he found out that I’d suffered from depression. He called me to apologize and said that he was suffering from depression too and he felt that picking on other people would make him feel better. I didn’t hold any of it against him; in fact, we still keep in contact and we’re good friends now. People go through things. But that’s where, again, I can point to my own story and tell kids, ‘It’s not you. It’s more likely that the other person has some issues they’re working out.’ Fortunately, I think my talks have been helping people. I’ve had a lot parents and kids give me positive feedback. One parent told me, ‘Your story changed my kid’s life.’ That right there gives me joy.”

https://hoopshype.com/2017/06/12/after-battling-depression-and-surviving-a-suicide-attempt-mike-sweetney-is-spreading-positivity/

AUTOADVERT
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
7/4/2019  8:48 AM
I didn’t know that. Glad he is turning things around. I wish him the best.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
7/4/2019  12:28 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/4/2019  12:30 PM
We all ONE and when we get disconnected from the source, from the only reality which is Love terrible things happens with our mind and our body.
And our Ego all that can function and grow into monster.
I am glad that Michael reconnected to his Self and get back his happiness.
He found the best way to get there by helping others. The only way...
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/4/2019  1:02 PM
It was known at the time that Sweetney's father had died before the draft. Wasnt hard to see that his head (understandably) wasnt in the game. No one was happy about how a top ten pick didnt pan out, but I believe fans knew what was the root cause.

Took Sweetney not panning out better than Jerome James a few years later. Both had trouble with weight issues. Sweetney had a very good reason for it, James was just a guy who leveraged one mediocre playoff series into huge payday, then retired and got fat, while still on the roster.

Glad things worked out for him, wish Sweetney continued success.

Mike Sweetney's battle with depression as a Knick rookie

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy