[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Mashed up.......
Author Thread
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

9/25/2004  1:55 PM
Mashburn's career might be over. Everything is wrong with him.....
He's an awesome talent. Sometimes your body fails you. From a fantasy standpoint he is awesome....He's also clutch and with a killer instinct.

So lets trade for him!!! Better to have him take up salary and not play then have Shandon and KT on the team, lol.

Far fetched.....
Still a sad story though.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
9/25/2004  2:10 PM
He had unsuccessful microfracture knee surgery. I don't expect him to ever play again. Or if he does, it will probably be in extreme pain and for only a few games before he decides he can't go any longer.
nykfan4life
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #742
USA
9/25/2004  4:33 PM
New Orleans trades: SF Jamal Mashburn (20.8 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 2.5 apg in 38.4 minutes)
New Orleans receives: PG Moochie Norris (3.5 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 1.8 apg in 12.8 minutes)
  C Kurt Thomas (11.1 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 1.9 apg in 31.9 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -6.2 ppg, +3.1 rpg, and +1.2 apg.
New York trades: PG Moochie Norris (3.5 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 1.8 apg in 12.8 minutes)
  C Kurt Thomas (11.1 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 1.9 apg in 31.9 minutes)
New York receives: SF Jamal Mashburn (20.8 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 2.5 apg in 19 games)
Change in team outlook: +6.2 ppg, -3.1 rpg, and -1.2 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to New Orleans and New York being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. New Orleans and New York had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have been assigned Trade ID number 1938064

This trade makes room for Sweetney, JYD to get more time at PF, and With Moochie gone we have Marbury Crawford, Brewer and even Penny at times to run the Point, plus we lose Mashburn's contract after this season.
It can work with Mash, Anderson and Bateer on the IR. or Houston instead of Anderson for the start of the season.
Actice lineup : Marbury, Crawford, TT, Sweets, Baker, JYD, Penny, Nazr, Anderson or Houston, Brewer, Sundov, Ariza or Bateer.
There are of course many options with who is likely to be on the bench and who is on the IR and of course Playing time for the one's who are in the rotation.
Bonn1997
USA
9/25/2004  5:45 PM
I hope Mashburn never comes within a 1000 miles of playing for the Knicks. I'd rather make room for Sweetney by playing Kurt as his backup PF and at backup C. People are under the mistaken impression that we *have* to trade Kurt if Sweetney is to get minutes. But we know Isiah goes with the better, younger player every time he's forced to decide between two players (e.g., Harrington went to the IR so Sweetney could come off it; Frank Williams was on the playoff roster and Moochie was put on the IR).
LongIslandKnicksFan
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #496
USA
9/25/2004  6:21 PM
Why the hell would you want Mashburn on this team if he is done? Atleast Moochie and Shandon can run....and that's about all they could do. I'd rather have theit sorry butts on the floor than someone rotting on the bench like Mashburn. Knicks would NEVER do this trade.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
9/25/2004  6:38 PM
Posted by nykfan4life:
Posted by Bonn1997:

I hope Mashburn never comes within a 1000 miles of playing for the Knicks. I'd rather make room for Sweetney by playing Kurt as his backup PF and at backup C. People are under the mistaken impression that we *have* to trade Kurt if Sweetney is to get minutes. But we know Isiah goes with the better, younger player every time he's forced to decide between two players (e.g., Harrington went to the IR so Sweetney could come off it; Frank Williams was on the playoff roster and Moochie was put on the IR).

Whatever you say, MR.Expert! NOT!

Dude, calm down a little.

I can actually see how this trade would make some sense. Mashburn's contract expires the same year as TT's and Penny's. Those contracts may be very valueable around the deadline and next offseason.
But I don't think it's worth it. We could probably get a decent player for Kurt who can contribute right away, and like Bonn said, we can always move him to the 5. He is not a bad player to have around.
Bonn1997
USA
9/25/2004  7:42 PM
Mashburn's contract expires the same year as TT's and Penny's.
Actually, Mash has 3 years at $10 mil per year left on his contract. He's owed more money than Kurt Thomas. If I owned the Knicks, I'd rather keep Kurt. He'll probably get more points, rebounds, blocks, steals and assists in the first week of November than Mashburn will get in the rest of his career.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
9/25/2004  7:46 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Mashburn's contract expires the same year as TT's and Penny's.
Actually, Mash has 3 years at $10 mil per year left on his contract. He's owed more money than Kurt Thomas. If I owned the Knicks, I'd rather keep Kurt. He'll probably get more points, rebounds, blocks, steals and assists in the first week of November than Mashburn will get in the rest of his career.

Hmm...I think you're right. Realgm says he has 1 year left, Hoopshype is saying he has a player option after this year, and has 3 years left.
My bad.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
9/25/2004  10:29 PM
ever have burnt mashed potatoes?
toodarkmark
Member: #515
USA
9/26/2004  12:16 PM
I'd go for a Shandon for Mashburn deal, although we'd have to throw in another bit player. But I doubt NO would care to do this deal. If he is going to retire, does NO want to sit on the dead contract for a year or take on a contract with 3 years remaining.

I doubt if he sits out the year, he will pick up the option for the next two years, there will be a small buyout of some sort.
I don't care what people think. People are stupid. - Charles Barkley
Bonn1997
USA
9/26/2004  3:19 PM
I doubt if he sits out the year, he will pick up the option for the next two years, there will be a small buyout of some sort.
The buyout would have to be huge because if he's not healthy, he knows no other team will pay him the difference. Mutombo accepted an buyout for about $4 mil less than his salary last summer because he expected that a team would pay him the difference ($4 mil per year). If Jamal can't play again, no team will offer him anything, though.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
9/26/2004  4:24 PM
Trading for Mashburn = Layden like move. He was great with Miami, and at the beginning of his career with the Hornets. But all of these injuries have taken a toll on him.

Plus, we have about 50 million swingmen shooting guards/ small fowards on this team. No need to take a risk on Mashburn.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/26/2004  4:59 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
The buyout would have to be huge because if he's not healthy, he knows no other team will pay him the difference. Mutombo accepted an buyout for about $4 mil less than his salary last summer because he expected that a team would pay him the difference ($4 mil per year). If Jamal can't play again, no team will offer him anything, though.

Great point! Excellent!
toodarkmark
Member: #515
USA
9/27/2004  9:31 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

It's a weird rule to me, but a guaranteed contract is a guaranteed contract. I guess in the end it would be cheaper to buyout Shandon Anderson than trade for Mashburn and have him retire. What do I even care about what the Knicks or the Hornets pay?

I just would love to see Shandon elsewhere.
I don't care what people think. People are stupid. - Charles Barkley
raven
Member: #316
Canada
9/27/2004  9:55 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

very very good point bonn.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
9/27/2004  1:36 PM
"I just would love to see Shandon elsewhere."

I cant see him being on this team, regardless of the money. He's not in our plans. He's got Crawford, Houston, TT, Penny (and probably Ariza) ahead of him for the 2/3 spots. I just see management releasing him if he refuses to go on IR, which he will.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
MaRbUrYiSaKnIcK
Member: #737
USA
9/27/2004  3:38 PM
New Orleans – The New Orleans Hornets announced that forward Jamal Mashburn will sit out the 2004-05 season on the Injured List due to a patella femoral irritation of his right knee.

“We have monitored Jamal’s status and have been in close contact with him throughout the summer, and his knee has simply not improved,” said Hornets General Manager Allan Bristow. “He still has significant swelling caused by bone rubbing on bone. Unfortunately, we have mutually come to the decision that he will sit out the 2004-05 season, but we remain optimistic about him resuming his career at some point in the future.”

Mashburn missed the final 19 games of last season and all of the playoffs with the same injury. He began the 2003-04 campaign on the Injured List following arthroscopic surgery to remove loose particles in his right knee and missed the first 44 games of the season. He averaged 20.8 points and 6.2 rebounds in 19 games for the Hornets in 2003-04.

“I know that Jamal is frustrated as both a competitor and a professional that he will not able to contribute to the team this season,” said Hornets Head Coach Byron Scott. “I’m disappointed that I won’t get to coach him and utilize his talents, but I know his work ethic and determination will lead him to do everything he can to return to the court.”

The Hornets are 58-53 (.523) all-time without Mashburn in the lineup since he joined the team prior to the 2000-01 season. Mashburn played in 76 of 82 games in 2000-01, missing five games due to a bone bruise in his left knee and one game with a bruised sternum. In 2001-02, Mashburn missed 42 games with a lower abdominal strain during the regular season and missed all but one game of the playoffs due to positional vertigo.

Mashburn played in all 82 games for the Hornets in 2002-03 (the first time in his career that he had done so) and averaged 21.6 points, 6.1 rebounds and 5.6 assists to earn All-NBA Third Team honors and his first All-Star nomination. He missed two games in the playoffs due to a chipped bone fracture and dislocation of his right middle finger.
Marbury is finally home at MSG!
raven
Member: #316
Canada
9/28/2004  4:04 AM
One more setback -- the last? -- for unfulfilled Mashburn
Sept. 27, 2004
By Mike Kahn
SportsLine.com Executive Editor

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/story/7728322

If anyone was the total package coming into the NBA, it was Jamal Mashburn.

Jamal Mashburn parts ways with Hornets coach Byron Scott after talking about his latest setback.(AP)
At 6-feet-8, 250 pounds, he came into the NBA in 1993 as the fourth pick overall by the Dallas Mavericks following his junior year, when he was a first-team All-American for Rick Pitino at Kentucky. He could shoot from anywhere on the court, back down any small forward, handle the ball like a guard and grab eight rebounds a game.

Eleven years later, the numbers have come and gone, and evidently, so has Mashburn.

Monday afternoon, Mashburn sat at a New Orleans Hornets press conference with general manager Allan Bristow and coach Byron Scott, men he's unlikely to play for again in the wake of the latest issue with his right knee. They declared him out for this season and quite possibly for his career.

You see, Mashburn, soon to be 32, played in only 19 games last season because of this matter of no cartilage behind the patella in that right knee; many an athlete knows that bone-on-bone feeling.

It's a shame too, considering 2002-03 was the season Mashburn had finally broken through. He played 82 games for the first time in his career, was an All-Star for the first time and really was the best small forward in the game, averaging 21.6 points, 6.1 rebounds and 5.6 assists.

Gone was the memory of him deferring to Jason Kidd and Jimmy Jackson at Dallas. Fading were the many moments at Miami when he failed to take -- let alone make -- big shots for the Heat. Subsequently, he was dealt to the Hornets, then in Charlotte, in that whopper of a nine-man deal with the Heat in the summer of 2000.

Oh, that first year was special with the Hornets, too. They shockingly crushed the Heat in spectacular payback fashion for coach Paul Silas in the first round of the playoffs, and Mashburn averaged just a shade less than 25 points in the playoffs.

But other than that 2002-03 season, it has been nothing but one physical woe after another.

From a dislocated finger to positional vertigo to a problematic left knee, a strained abdominal muscle and bruised sternum, the list rambles on. If you include this season, he will have played in 141 out of a possible 328 games during a four-season stretch.

Even more upsetting for the franchise was his decision to rehab in Miami last season, ignore the team when it came to town to play the Heat and even blame them for misdiagnosis of his injury.

Calling it a mess would be an understatement.

It's tough," Mashburn said at the press conference. "Right now, it's a quality of life thing. It's difficult walking around for a long period of time. I'm hoping with rest and the lack of pounding that things will heal themselves, and maybe there's a chance of playing at the end of the year. It's frustrating mentally."

Advertisement

That would include everybody close to the situation. The Monster Mash might as well be mashed potatoes. With All-Star guard Baron Davis pining for a trade and showing no signs of becoming the leader they need him to be, the return of Mashburn was their one morsel of hope that they could seriously compete in their new position in the Western Conference.

Certainly Scott, entering his first season as coach after getting fired last February by the New Jersey Nets, was hopeful.

"First of all, in talking to Jamal during the summer, you could hear in his voice that he has a serious passion to play basketball," Scott said. "Let's get that straight right now. He wants to play basketball, and at this particular time, he cannot. As far as how it's going to affect our team ... you're taking away one of the premier small forwards in basketball."

That would be a healthy and excited Mashburn. It would be logical to presume Bristow wanted to make this move as quickly as possible with hopes of getting an exception for the coming season that would be half of Mashburn's salary, in the vicinity of $4.6 million. It will give them much more flexibility having that exception to tack on if they were to make a trade for a combination of players exceeding the players they are moving.

Surprisingly, Bristow didn't say anything about applying for the exception, which would lead you to wonder if they're really convinced Mashburn is out for the season.

"I think we'll take the wait-and-see approach and see how things materialize until next summer," he said.

Nobody can be expecting much. In fact, most of this summer, the buzz around the league was they were trying to peddle the damaged goods. The animosity between Mashburn and the organization has subsided with the hiring of Bristow and Scott, but that doesn't mean he'll ever play for them. Unless doctors and Mashburn agree to go into the knee with hopes of creating some scar tissue to buffer the bone on bone problem, he very well could be finished.

"After taking MRIs earlier in the summer, I had some hope," Mashburn said. "But then these last couple of months sealed my fate pretty much because the healing hadn't progressed the way that I thought it would. There's a process for me in the way I prepare myself. I wasn't able to get to that process so that's when I knew it was pretty serious.

"I think the organization and I came to the conclusion that you don't want to leave any doors shut, just in case something does happen where you can come back. I think that was the smart thing to do. Obviously, it helps everybody. It leaves the window open for me if I'm capable of coming back and playing basketball. I'm thankful for that door to still be open."

Unfortunately, all he can do for now is hobble through it. A reminder that if Jamal Mashburn wasn't a lock to be a superstar in the NBA -- which he will never be -- then nobody is.

Mashed up.......

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy