[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Does KT's knee injury impact our FA plans?
Author Thread
Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

6/14/2019  9:04 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/14/2019  9:04 AM
It's truly hard to fathom that KD and KT go down with major (potentially career-altering) injuries in back-to-back games. And yet...here we are. Not sure what this says about the Warriors training staff and upper management. Burning down two megastars right as they approach free agency just feels...well, weird...if not suspicious. That said, it would be odd for them to both be retained given the luxury tax implications.

What I am really wondering about is how these two events affect the trajectory of the Knicks' free agency plans. Clearly the "add two superstars to the youth movement" approach is out the window. No healthy superstar will want to wait a year for either KD or KT to recover. Windows don't stay open that long, and anyone can get injured at any time...even in the Finals.

So what's the new deal here...do we do the draft pick collecting in exchange for bad one year paper? As someone else pointed out, there aren't that many teams with whom this approach would work, and none of the opportunities look all that enticing.

It's amazing how the Knicks get screwed even if they don't do it to themselves. I'm starting to bite on the notion that there really is a Dolan curse, even if he's not involved in the troublemaking. FFS, it's hard to be a Knicks fan.

AUTOADVERT
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/14/2019  9:19 AM
He landed hard and awkwardly on his leg and you saw it bend badly. How is this suspicious?

What would motivate them to get KT injured, heading into a new building?

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
6/14/2019  9:30 AM
i hope it impacts it. i was already moving into the 3 young fa mode to build a young and deep team before KT - this only reinforces it.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

6/14/2019  9:52 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/14/2019  9:54 AM
Looked like Klay strained something, dont believe anything tore. We'll see.

Believe that the Knicks will be rewarded if they're patient. Perry has not jumped the gun on trades. Dont see him doing that in free agency either. Im sure Perry is a student of Knicks front office history, has Mills to fill in the gaps. So far they have avoided the mistakes of their predecessors.

Im sure that many long time Knicks fans are waiting for Dolan to pick up the phone and start backseat driving again. Or Mills repeating Phil's mistake of going for the quick fix, another broke down Big Three.

Patience will pay dividends, confident of that. Mgmt seem to be firing on all cylinders, if we can avoid bringing in players who are at the stage in their career where they're more risk than reward. See a contender built to last more than a season or two, in the not so distant future.

Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
6/14/2019  9:55 AM
GustavBahler wrote:Looked like Klay strained something, dont believe anything tore. We'll see.

Believe that the Knicks will be rewarded if they're patient. Perry has not jumped the gun on trades. Dont see him doing that in free agency either. Im sure Perry is a student of Knicks front office history, has Mills to fill in the gaps. So far they have avoided the mistakes of their predecessors.

Im sure that many long time Knicks fans are waiting for Dolan to pick up the phone and start backseat driving again. Or Mills repeating Phil's mistake of going for the quick fix, another broke down Big Three.

Patience will pay dividends, confident of that. Mgmt seem to be firing on all cylinders, if we can avoid bringing in players who are at the stage in their career where they're more risk than reward. See a contender built to last more than a season or two, in the not so distant future.

From your keyboard to God's ears. This is the way to go if you do strike out on Kawhi Leonard.

Knicks_Fan
GustavBahler

6/14/2019  10:06 AM
Klay tore his ACL, wow.
StarksEwing1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4451

6/14/2019  10:11 AM
GustavBahler wrote:Klay tore his ACL, wow.
Yeah I cant believe it lol.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/14/2019  10:35 AM

When you tear your ACL dr's can manually check - without MRI - within minutes after it happening. Depending on how awkward the land there would be a little to a lot of swelling and other damage. So they def knew last night and prob just needed to confirm it after.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
anrst
Member: #1054
USA
6/14/2019  10:47 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/14/2019  10:47 AM
We are not screwed and we didn't get screwed

the only screwing is what we could do to ourselves

everyone needs to realize that time moves on and player values rise up and fall

This FA class is not the end of the world

Unforseen opportunities occur in life all the time. We just need to stay ready and don't do some stupid short sighted thing that all the fans and media are focused on. It's god dmn blinding how ridiculous the media obsession is with the present and very near term horizon.

GustavBahler

6/14/2019  10:51 AM
martin wrote:

When you tear your ACL dr's can manually check - without MRI - within minutes after it happening. Depending on how awkward the land there would be a little to a lot of swelling and other damage. So they def knew last night and prob just needed to confirm it after.

Must have been running on adrenaline, when Klay was sprinting down that corridor, jumping up and down. Most of the time you see guys being helped off the court.

Speaks to why KT has missed so few games ove his career. Will play through pretty much anything. Hope the timetable to getting back to playing isnt too severe. Curry is going to have a lot on his plate next season.

anrst
Member: #1054
USA
6/14/2019  10:57 AM
Woj: Klay's torn ACL won't impact his stock in free agency

Either the league has lost it's mind, or agents are straight up paying reporters

knickslions
Alba Posts: 25
Member: #138
6/14/2019  11:02 AM
Moonangie wrote:It's truly hard to fathom that KD and KT go down with major (potentially career-altering) injuries in back-to-back games. And yet...here we are. Not sure what this says about the Warriors training staff and upper management. Burning down two megastars right as they approach free agency just feels...well, weird...if not suspicious. That said, it would be odd for them to both be retained given the luxury tax implications.

What I am really wondering about is how these two events affect the trajectory of the Knicks' free agency plans. Clearly the "add two superstars to the youth movement" approach is out the window. No healthy superstar will want to wait a year for either KD or KT to recover. Windows don't stay open that long, and anyone can get injured at any time...even in the Finals.

So what's the new deal here...do we do the draft pick collecting in exchange for bad one year paper? As someone else pointed out, there aren't that many teams with whom this approach would work, and none of the opportunities look all that enticing.

It's amazing how the Knicks get screwed even if they don't do it to themselves. I'm starting to bite on the notion that there really is a Dolan curse, even if he's not involved in the troublemaking. FFS, it's hard to be a Knicks fan.

Ya Golden State staff said lets have Durant tear his Achilles and Klay his ACL so we can lose the NBA finals and keep the Knicks from signing them. Ya real suspicious

Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
6/14/2019  11:19 AM
The worst that could happen to GS did happen. Losing two stars potentially for the entire next season. The Knicks definitely are not a lucky organization but this could guide the Knicks in the proper direction. I’m not in the get KD and KT on the Knicks. Can’t take the chance on injured players been there done that. Pass.
martin
USA
6/14/2019  11:42 AM
anrst wrote:

Either the league has lost it's mind, or agents are straight up paying reporters

GS were going to offer Klay the max... do you think it's going to be different?

Knicksfan
USA
6/14/2019  11:54 AM
martin wrote:
anrst wrote:

But what happens with KD? If he picks his player option, can they pay them both and pay the tax that will result of it?

Knicks_Fan
knickslions
Alba Posts: 25
Member: #138
6/14/2019  11:59 AM
martin wrote:
anrst wrote:

I say its almost 100% GS signs him to the max.
martin
USA
6/14/2019  12:04 PM
Knicksfan wrote:
martin wrote:
anrst wrote:

But what happens with KD? If he picks his player option, can they pay them both and pay the tax that will result of it?

What do you think? If KD opts in, what would YOU do as the owner? Let Klay walk for nothing? Especially knowing he will be fine in about 9-12 months?

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

6/14/2019  12:31 PM
martin wrote:
Knicksfan wrote:
martin wrote:
anrst wrote:

What do you think? If KD opts in, what would YOU do as the owner? Let Klay walk for nothing? Especially knowing he will be fine in about 9-12 months?

I think this only solidifies things for the Dubs. Why not just resign both now? they're still a playoff team and the new stadium will distract the fanbase for one season.

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Knicksfan
USA
6/14/2019  12:35 PM
martin wrote:
Knicksfan wrote:
martin wrote:
anrst wrote:

What do I think? I think the situation isn't as obvious as most people could see it because this is a team with many serious big contracts what is moving to a new arena next season. You have Curry's ginormous contract, Iggy and Dray take a lot of space and you would be getting KD back because that's out of your control. You would WANT to keep Klay, and thats what probably happens, but not without serious evaluation of your team. You keep them both, but you have to do many maneuvers to manage the cap and also deal with the tax hit.

So its not actually a simple situation and the answer to my question isn't very obvious considering everything around the team.

Knicks_Fan
smackeddog
Member: #883
6/14/2019  12:52 PM
I read the Warriors will offer KD the 5 yr max, but I bet they pray he doesn't accept. From a practical/career/security level it would make sense for KD to accept that (takes the pressure off him when he returns a diminished player, but still gives him a shot at winning, and secures him for 5 years if the rehab goes badly. However on a personal level, can he really trust that org? After those players/org members who spoke to the press anonymously saying he should play and was basically a wimp for not returning in game 4? After the medical staff and GM said he'd be fine? Really I think he should take the 5 year offer, but it'll be interesting to see what price he puts on his (justified) anger.

GS will also offer Klay the full max, and unlike with KD, they'll genuinely want him to accept it. Think he will too. Annoyingly they'll probably end up with a top 5 pick in next years draft while KT rehabs.

Does KT's knee injury impact our FA plans?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy